Gugure! Kokkuri-san

Add review
LailanD's avatar
Apr 16, 2020

Okay... This is the funniest anime I've ever seen XD and also, the animation, characters, everything is best and well made. Great anime, I recommend everyone to watch it if they are a comedy lover.

Jessiohhh's avatar
Dec 8, 2018

This story is light and funny, but it doesn’t engage me as much as others that are similar. I also find the whole doll/girl thing slightly off putting. It’s just ok. I’m seeing it through until the end because I’m halfway and it makes me chuckle. Is it a favorite? No. Will I ever rewatch it? No.

Alacara's avatar
May 7, 2018

Overall I found this anime to be completely adorable!! Kohina is an adorable child that just wants to continue being a doll and enjoy her cup of noodles. But after summoning Kokkuri-san, that is hard to achieve. Following the fun characters as they make a home with Kohina.

This is a good anime for those that like animes with a slight dark humor and adult themes while still holding a key of innocence. I choose it because I like fox spirits and this was recommended if you are a fan of Kamisama Hajimemashita, which is extremely similar.

tollie01's avatar
May 7, 2017

Right, it's confession time for me. If you have been reading my reviews than you may have noticed that I tend to rip the anime a new one. There is a reason for this though and it has to do with the fact that I can't turn my brain off when watching anime. I can't ignore the stupid shown in the anime and this is a problem as most anime are very stupid indeed.

In this case I'm not talking about a 90 pound girl catching a multi-ton cruise missile and throwing it back. Yes, it is stupid but it is a stupid that I'll allow. It's anime. Things like this are normal here and I'm pretty much fine with it. It annoys me to be sure but I will not rant about it.

So, having explained this lets rip into this anime shall we? Just a heads up: There will most probably be spoilers. The more I hate an anime the more spoilers there will be.

ART: Art is fine. I've said it before and I'll say it many more times: It is near impossible to screw this up these days.

SOUND: Again no complaints from me. I can no longer remember any of the music used but this is how I prefer it. Voice acting were decent even if they get to do the same thing over and over.

CHARACTERS: Main character is the Kohina. She is an emotionless girl who claims to be a doll with a passion for cup noodles.

Kokkori is a fox spirit summoned by Kohina. He cares deeply for her and decides to stay with her to help in the house.

Inugami is a dog spirit fixated in Kohina. As he is still a new sprit his gender is still fluid so he switches between male and female forms from time to time. He and Kokkori hate each other.

Shigaraki is a old tanuki who comes to mooch off of Kohina. He likes to smoke, drink and chase girls.

STORY: Kohina is a young girl who lives alone in a huge mantion. One day she plays the game Kokkuri-san and summons Kokkuri, a fox spirit. He decides to start living with her and take care for her.

RANT: As this is a comedy this anime gets a lot of leeway for me. This means that I will overlook most of the stupid stuff in the anime. There is a lot of it but it is all played for comedic effect.

Not all jokes are succesful though but there is plenty left to put a smile on your face from time to time. Even a laugh may pop up but the most it got from me was an eyeroll. Now I'm not the target audience so I'm not surprised that most jokes missed.

My main problem with the anime was with the characters though. There is little to no character development for any of them and for the most part this is fine as the anime doesn't really need it.

Some charecter depth would have been more appreciated. Again most characters don't need it but there is none for Kohina. She is a complete mystery in everything. She lives alone in a huge building that resembles a temple. Nothing is ever mentioned about her parents or relatives and they never appear in the anime.

Nothing is ever made of her emotional starte either. She believes to be a doll and often acts like one even though it is clear that she isn't one. Potientially she is the most interesting character but nothing is done with it. Instead she is used as a linchpin between the other three characters.

Dionkeykong's avatar
Apr 17, 2017

While watching Gugure i found myself strangely drawn to the idea of gourging my eyes out with a spoon,then set them on fire and burry them in the backyard.Is it bad you ask?Well let's find out,shall we?

The story is nothing new.Girl summons fox spirit cause she's lonely,said spirit decides to live with her because he's concerned about her eating habits...Funny right?...And then the floodgates open for more supernatural pedophiles to chime in and live with her.Now you get the kind of people who like this,yes?

The whole anime relies on comedy stunts between all the characters..Or so i read in almost every review..Now i saw the whole damn thing and i barely raised a smile,let alone a laugh.Maybe if you're 6 and your idea of funny are impaled puppies then sure it's funny.For people like me,who don't live in a psychiatric clinic it was as funny and appealing as anal juice.

For some reason it feels cheap,every attempt at a joke falls flat,the interaction between all the characters feels way to forced.Every single one of them are so predictable it hurts even thinking about it.Now i read in some reviews that the visual gags are the funny part of the anime...Yeah right...Is anal prolapse funny?No i'm being unfair..Anal prolapse is funnier than this..Getting stabbed in the throat is funnier than this..You get the picture i presume.Honest to god while watchin it i had this vague image of the voice actors dying slowly from lethal doses of boredom.

I have seen many shit in my life but this is by far and large the worst yet.No story,no comedy,nothing memorable.To be frank i have seen holocausts funnier than this..May god have mercy on our souls.

ffcfran's avatar
May 29, 2016

The protagonist is an elementary student girl Kohina Ichimatsu who lives alone. One day she summons a fox spirit named Kokkuri-san by a seance game with the same name. He was first intended to possess her, but instead, he decides to manage the household like her mother. The story revolves around a little strange daily life of them with two more other animal spirits, Inugami (dog) and Shigaraki (raccoon dog).

This may sound silly and stupid and it is, but its also amazing. the humor is a bit weird, like everything else in the show but that is its charm. its comedic with no romance or action or anything just a comedic daily life show.

hhill's avatar
Aug 28, 2015

This anime is totally hilarious! Just don't ask me what it's about, because I really couldn't tell you. So don't expect some epic plot, but the jokes are so funny that you won't even care.

Melourn's avatar
Aug 24, 2015

I love the way Kohina acts. Her mental state and her gestures are fantastic. The reactions of each characters are perfect for this type of anime. The story is cutesy, standard fantasy stuff. The animation manages to mix moe with harder features using the characters. The background is lacking in many respects, but that's not really important simply because the focus isn't on the background. The focus is very upfront and on the surface. When they do focus on the background, like with episode 10 and the Maple tree, they do a very good job. The sound is great. I love the choices for the music and the characters' voices are spot-on. The way that Kohina gasps is one of my favorites... She tries to maintain her robot image, but sometimes she slips, which brings hr kawaii/moe nature to the fore-front and builds her complex nature regardless of how simple she would like to appear at first glance. The characters, themselves, are nothing particularly special (except Kohina), but I gave them a 9 because they are portrayed very well.

Overall, a 7.75 / 10 might seem like a high rating, considering the type of anime that it is, but I gave my opinion. I am entitled to my opinion. It's a very fun watch. You might not enjoy it as much as I, but I'm sure you'll like the show.

7.8/10 overall
CureAriel's avatar
May 2, 2015

This Dolly Anime sucks Dirty noodles and Food!

Kohina is lazy and unfun!

Kokkuri-san is a spoiled brat!

and there's boredom galore!

And on Top of that, The Anime is just boring, The characters are boring, the story is boring, and The Sound is boring!

The only interesting thing I can point out is Kohina's Magical-girl-eqsue transformation.

I'd say Barbie and Licca-chan Dolls are far more interesting than this.

I've been into Dolls and figures pretty much almost my whole life.

And I could safely say that this Anime, along with Kohina, The boring doll, is one of the lamest excuses for Dolly entertainment in history. Heck!

I'd rather watch "Barbie and Licca-chan Dolls" rather than watching "Gugure! Kokkuri-san" again.

"Starfish headache" and solid blade to the skull for Kohina and this Anime.

Make Kohina and her anime rot in the pit of oblivion. seize!

duchessliz's avatar
Apr 29, 2015

What do you get when you put a fox spirit, a cursed dog spirit, a perverted tanuki with a drinking problem, and a human girl who thinks she's a doll with an obsession of cup noodles, all under one roof? You get a cute and funny anime that is sure to keep you entertained for twelve hilarious episodes! I admit ... I was somewhat iffy on this one and after the first episode I wasn't entirely sure that I would like where they were going with this, but this anime is the type that grows on you. Every episode pulls you in even more into their house of craziness and you find yourself eagerly awaiting for the next to find what mess the gang will find themselves in. My only regret ... is that it wasn't longer....

ArigatoLemon's avatar
Mar 19, 2015

Slice of Life! We do need these short slice of life anime considering that some of us anime viewers are reluctant enough to see long and drawn out anime.
Another reason I think is that most of us are already busy watching Naruto,One-peice,Bleach or any other main-stream anime.
Let's get started.
No.of Episodes: 12
Genre: Comedy and Supernatural
Plot: Kohina Ichimatsu is a school girl who lives alone and claims to be and expressionless doll eating nothing but instant noodles.Playing a game of Kokkuri, she summons the fox spirit Kokkuri-san who becomes her guardian out of concern for her health and mental state.
The story revolves around Kohina getting haunted by various spirits and her daily experiences.
<div></div> After-thoughts: All though the anime is in the comedy genre, it explores the relationship between people and the feelings Kohina has for Kokkuri-san and other spirits.
The story is really about a lonely girl who shut down her emotions and eperiences love after a long time.This is slowly revealed in the background as the story goes on.
<div></div>
A caring Guardian Kokkuri who is concerned about her well-being. The instant noodles is a running gag in the anime!
<div></div> <div></div> <div></div> A person who adores her, a freind who gives great advice,and much more.
<div></div> Final Verdict: The series is a must watch for slice of life fans and anyone who wants to see an entertaining and funny anime with core values!
Rating: I can easily rate this anime a 10 out of 10 for just being the anime it is!

CaptainSlow's avatar
Dec 26, 2014

What I Liked: Kohina. The saga of Female!Kokkuri-san. The ending theme, and the piano arrangement of said theme in episode 8. Tama, despite her personality. Appealing character designs with the right amount of traditional and bishounen / bishoujo elements. Episode 11, for being an interesting change of pace. Shigaraki, despite being a drunkard and a crook. Kohina's speech patterns are incredibly cute, much like her insistence of her non-human status.

What I Didn't: Sex jokes, sex jokes everywhere. All the mononoke are actually downright creepy (in a latent criminal sense) in some respect, but Inugami especially takes this up to eleven. "Idealised" Kohina (e.g. the non-chibi Kohina) looked a lot older than she should've. Episode 11, for introducing the overt pedophile Tengu. Did rely on obligatory episode formats (e.g. Onsen, Christmas/New Year) and a few tired tropes (magical gender-swapping and age regression). Occasional pacing issues where some skits felt longer than they should've.

Final Verdict: This self-styled "fluffy comedy" spends much of its run-time dancing within the bounds of the playfully indecent, with most of the adult characters in the series being depicted as lecherous, dishonest or just plain creepy towards the prepubescent Kohina. It also spends a lot of time steeped in tired tropes and tripping over it's own pacing. But it's not all bad - the animation is nice, the character designs are quite pleasing and Kohina herself is a cute (if not occasionally macabre) delight.

LucyxH's avatar
Dec 11, 2014

This anime is a hilarious show for those who enjoy adult comedy. The characters are also fun within the story.

Each character has unique traits, including the main character.

It's sometimes also very cute and fluffy.

8.5/10 story