Girls' Last Tour - Reviews

Alt title: Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou

Xorn's avatar
Nov 8, 2017

Spoiler Warning: Nothing happens at all in the show, they eat and be dumb. Oh yeah and sleep.

Girls Last Tour is a post-apocalyptic show that centers around two girls Chito and Yuu. In my honest opinion both characters are bland and pointless, neither has anything interesting to say or do. In episode three you get introduced to the only other character for the most part. The other character is a cartographer that is creating maps of the city that the characters are traversing. I won't lie episode three was my favorite I really liked learning about the cartographer and you almost get a decent literary foil with Chito's journal but that falls flat.

This review will make people think "oh he just doesn't like slice of life anime" but I do like slice of life, however, this show for me is just boring. There exists a fine line between comfy and devoid of anything and for me this show is far into the devoid of anything area. In contrast to something like Kino no Tabi, the characters in Girls Last Tour have nothing interesting to talk about.

Girls Last Tour could be really good if there wasn't so much dead time, if there were better characters in the show it could be much closer to a 10 but with the dead-eyed potato girls, it just makes it hard for me to give a shit about what they say. As an aside, the show sometimes tries to go into a contemplative philosophical area and dips just far enough without going all the way where it is annoying, like imagine the difference between getting your hand wet in a lake and dunking your arm into the water with a jacket on. On the second example, you might as well be swimming.

I feel like Girls Last Tour fails on all fronts.If you want to watch CUTE GIRLS DOING CUTE THINGS, go ahead I'm not trying to stop you, but don't parade your fetishizing of young girls around as a good show.

P.S. Give me a show about a post-apocalyptic cartographer, make it good.

Oh right, White Fox does a good job with the animation even if they are potatoes. 10/10

P.P.S. The OST, ending and opening are really good and have a lot of personality, the opening and ending are some of my favorites across anime

risingstar3110's avatar
Feb 5, 2018

This anime can be summed up in a single word "bittersweet".

The anime is a Slice-of-life of two girls, travelling forward to an undetermined location for no particular reason in a decaying world. A happy story full with love and friendship, and silly childish topics, being set up in a dark, cruel, lonely and depressing background. It's seinen alright and i'm not sure younger audiences will enjoy it as much as older viewers

What I like the most is: it is not only a piece of media, but also a space for audiences to reflect on the meaning of many daily things that we have taken for grant. A real surreal experience.

The animation is good, and set the atmosphere well, but nothing outstanding. The girl was not unique but befitting the story perfectly. The music is probably amongst the best in anime and set the atmosphere perfectly. Overall a 10/10 in my book. Would give 11/10 if I could

Neokhan's avatar
Dec 26, 2017

If you're looking for something to watch while unwinding from a stressful day, this show is perfect.  It's in the iyashikey genre, so there is no action, but it's still interesting to see the girls wander the shattered remains of a city long dead.

RascaI's avatar
Jan 2, 2018

*spoiler free review*

We will not dab quietly into the night

As an anime fan who really likes episodic anime, cute things, and thoughtful content with a lot of meaning behind it, you'd think girl's last tour would be a shoe-in for my top anime, but honestly the thing comes across average and there's not a lot you're missing by judging it from the cover. What you'd expect is a slow anime about two girls in a post-apocalyptic world traveling on a motorbike, and that's exactly what you get- but you also get a few really sleek and polished world building elements thrown in there that lift it far above average.

I said previously it's episodic, but it doesn't really matter all that much whether you like episodic anime or not when you watch this, because it really does feel like one continuous journey- the only thing is there isn't one big plot driving the whole thing. They do often spend an episode with a particular character and then never see them again. Mostly the story will show you how people and other things are living now that the world is destroyed, and what the two main characters have to deal with. There isn't a lot to said story until its two-parter finale which ties the world all together but doesn't really do anything to make up for its weaker than average previous presentation, as the episodes aren't too great on their own.

Some might call it philisophical. I personally don't see the themes or dialogue as all that philisophical most of the time, but the dialogue is interesting and there is some symbolism.

The world it takes place in is a great example of a much more chill post-apocalyptic setting with its muted tones, and almost dreamlike shapes and atmosphere- as well as its almost alien architecture that naturally puts forth a feeling of, this is a different world. It's a simple world but it's a decent digging hole for relatable themes in humanity that the show loves to explore. What it really loves exploring are the personalities and natures of its mains, Chito and Yuuri. Combined with the story, that makes it really chill and a nice slow anime to watch. It's both bittersweet and feel-good.

Two Characters who really make the show what it is are those two mains. One is more apathetic and driven, the other seems to be more aloof and acts on her feelings, almost like a left brain/right brain dynamic which is enjoyable to watch them talk about the world and bicker like that.

The animation is ok for what it is but the artstyle is really where it's at. It's very unique and gives an almost melancholic feel to every scene; which I think was exactly what they were going for, and it works.

Sound is alright. It didn't really give me that feeling i get from other bittersweet anime but it did make me feel something a few times in succession with the visual tone especially on the fantastic last episode, which I won't spoil here.

It's a great anime with some heart to it, I'd encourage anime fans to give it a watch.

7.8/10 overall
Aradeid's avatar
Feb 3, 2018

It's a very difficult anime to review.
Everything the girls did, made me feel warm and cozy.
But every time they talked, I would get an existential crisis.

The setting is more mysterious than Attack on Titan + Made in Abyss, but once they finally reveal something, you just get such a terrible despair strike.

Perfect timing too, right after I get filled with hope from finishing Sakura Quest.

The strongest part of the anime is the contrast between the character design and environments design.

But now that I am done with it, comes the question. Why did I watch it? Why should anyone watch it? You come to watch cute girls do cute things, and yes, you do get a lot of that, but you're also constantly injected with pure unfiltered despair straight into your brain.