Gintama: Porori-hen - Reviews

Alt title: Gintama: Slip Arc

Dionkeykong's avatar
Oct 20, 2017

I've said it time and again that Gintama is THE best the world of anime has to offer.I dare you to name one anime,just one,that had such a big impact,or even one anime that is so loved by everyone,or even one anime that is so diverse and everchanging?Not a damn single anime has done that.

But Gintama has managed to do everything,it offers anything that anyone could want from an anime.Want comedy?That's there allright,want breath taking action scenes?Got some for ya good fellas.Want the dark,twisty turns and what have you?Got your six there mate.And you know the funny thing?Unlike so many other animes that try to be many things at once and fail miserably,this doesn't.This anime can be best described as a raging drunken bull that smashes his way through a city.It just barges in,kills everyone and heads to the next town to wreak havoc.

And honestly after so many years i didn't expect Gintama to reinvent the wheel or something.But then Porori-hen comes and proves me wrong.And as the series goes on i'll update my review accordingly but i don't think Gintama can do wrong.As it now stands 3 eps in,this anime still puts its' hands down my trousers and has a little rampage.Everything and i do mean every single thing about it is abso-fuckin-lutely amasing.And i can't for the life of me understand how they do that?Year after year after year.And it's not like Gintama has to prove itself.But it's still going strong and frankly i couldn't ask for more than that.

Haven't watched it yet?Well what are you waiting for then?

Review was made possible with this Harakiri For The Sky - Funeral Dreams

ladysorrow's avatar
Jul 19, 2020

I am not ashamed to say that Gintama is my most favorite anime ever. It has the biggest and most unpredictable character set starting from masochistic shinobis to warrior with an older woman kink. This anime shows interactions between ALL the characters and that makes the story become more lively. Its also probably the funniest anime ever, although, the first 20 episodes are kind of lukewarm. But later on, this is certain to become the best show you have ever seen. Also this has the best protagonist ever, lazy and sleazy, thats Sakata Gintoki for you.

ALthough this season was a bit random put amongst two serious arcs, but I still loved it.

WolfAngelus's avatar
Jan 14, 2018

A return to the perfect, random, comedy filled Gintama that I loved so much over the first 251 eps. There are lots of parodies and craziness, and if compared to the other seasons, it matches the 1st one the best in terms of what you get. After the terrible previous season that was one of the worst Anime I had ever watched, and a complete 180 of what made Gintama successful, I am very happy to say that they fixed their mistake and have once again delivered the perfect content that we all loved and made it so successful.

There are 4-ish arcs and a partial episode. All of them have very absurd themes, possibly more so than any in the past to the point that you would question the sanity of the writers, but this is what makes it so enjoyably entertaining. Without giving much away, there is a theme for every viewer and a hint at which characters you may expect: theres some action, story, character, music, and tons of comedy. At the end of it all, there is a preview with a claim of the last long Gintama arc coming (although this isn't the first time, or the second, or the third, that they say it's the last season)

A lot of the favorite characters get at least a bit of screen time which is neat. Considering there are only 13 eps for this season, each of those favorites got some screen time in a way that suits them. None of them got a ton of time like we are used which is unfortunate, but that's just a flaw with getting to know them over 300 eps, and 13 more eps just pales in comparison.

Overall it is an epic season. It's a true return to the older days for the all those fans who loved the episode (or short arc) based, nonsense themed comedy that just can't be found in any other Anime. Most of the scenarios defy any logic, and that is perfectly alright. No real form of story beyond the mini arcs spanning 2-4 eps makes it easy to enjoy these episodes and simply relax without focusing too hard in order to follow what's happening.

Review for Eps 1-201 ; Scored 10