Gingitsune: Messenger Fox of the Gods - Reviews

Ebhen's avatar
Jan 13, 2014

First out then. :)

Well, to be honest, I have a weak spot for this kind of care free/ slice of life shows. Sometimes you just want some feelgood-shows to just relax to and enjoy without to much thought needed. And this is just such show. No big issues, conflicts or drama. Just plain fun. Some perhaps thinks this to boring to watch and that is just fine, there's plenty of other shows out there for them.

The story evolves around the teenager Makoto who lives at a small shrine and is the successor to the shrine and can therefore see "the heralds", the spirits who is the shrines guardians and funktions as the messenger between the humans and the gods. In this case there is a big white fox who lives at this shrine. He is lazy and a bit gruff but is a gentle spirit at heart. He can telll fortunes and helpes Makoto to find things and people when that is needed.

Everyday stuff lika school, friends and chores at the shrine fills Makotos life and we follow both her and some of her friends during various smaller story-arcs. As more interesting characters and spirits join in the fun you get drawn in to their small every day problems and issues.

Animation and sound was well done. Bright colours and good artwork with a lot of details makes it enjoyable to watch. The characters are perhaps a bit simply drawn but it doesn't bother me. They are lively and easy to read and understand, which is the main thing really. The deapth of the characters isn't to much to begin with, but I imagine that they will be fleshed out if the show is continued and the producers have sprinkles out a lot of story seeds for a coming season.

Overall I think this is the perfect way to spend a lazy sunday, in front of the screen watching a show that don't demand much of you as a viewer but gives you a good feeling and a good laugh.
Give this a go, you wont regret it.  I for one is looking forward to a second season.

AngryJellyfish's avatar
Dec 6, 2015

~Secret Santa Review~

Back when Gingitsune first aired, I remember finding the first episode dull, thinking it wasn't my kind of show, and dropping it there and then. I must have been in a weird mood that day – thanks Secret Santa for making me revisit the series!

Well, it's a slice of life show, so there wasn't much of a running plot. Just episodic stories about the life of a Shinto priest's daughter and the shrine's herald, a big fox spirit. Most of these storylines were just there to introduce new characters, or develop existing ones, and to provide bucketloads of cuteness and comedy.

Though the series predominantly felt cheery and positive, it did have its bittersweet moments – the turtle herald's story of how his shrine was forgotten in time and later demolished, as well as the fact that the heralds live so much longer than humans, their relationships seeming to end in the blink of an eye.

Gingitsune was also quite educational – I learned a fair few things about Shinto customs, rituals and beliefs that I didn't know before, and the small bits of history about the impacts of Buddhism on the religion were also interesting. How much of it I'll actually remember is another thing, but I do like series that manage to teach me things without being boring.

This is where Gingitsune really shone. The characters are all so loveable! Apologies for any disrespect, but the big old lazy Gin was just adorable. Little Haru even moreso. And the Komainu, and the monkeys. There's not much else I can say about them.

The humans probably got more development throughout the series – perhaps because our lives are so much shorter, after all. Makoto herself was a fairly standard, energetic and happy lead character (much like her father), but her friends Yumi and Hiwako were more complex than they first appeared, both being stereotyped and expected to act in certain ways, when their real personalities were quite different. Satoru's backstory, his shyness and inability/disinterest in making friends made him stand out for me, I can't think of many similar characters in other anime that have been portrayed so well.

Animation and Sound

Gingitsune was a nice looking series, plenty of bright colours and varied character designs. I've seen nicer animation, but a slow-paced slice of life show doesn't need such a big budget. I didn't see any off-model moments or anything like that.

Loved the OP and ED, the background music fit the show very well, very relaxing most of the time. Voice acting was superb.

Overall

In all likelihood I would never have revisited Gingitsune unless it was for a specific reason such as this Secret Santa. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would, including that first episode I turned up my nose at two years ago. There are a lot of slice of life series out there, so many that it's easy to forget the less amusing or intriguing ones, but I doubt I'll forget Gintarou and Haru in a hurry.

felody's avatar
Jul 19, 2015

A heartwarming story. People who is interested in the tradition religious aspect (eg. inari shrine) and pratice of japan will most probably like this show. 10/10 for sound because the BGM is just great! The story is more like the everyday lives of the main characters. overall the characters are very cute

7.5/10 story
7.5/10 characters
Sadweeb's avatar
May 22, 2015

As a fan of spirits, yokai and various sappy slice of life dramas, just seeing the description and the teaser trailer had me pretty interested. It was a cute anime to watch with my girlfriend and something that gave us a reason to make a real crunchyroll account for. Every week we'd cuddle up in my dorm room and we would watch a sweet girl live out her peaceful life at the local shinto shrine with the grumpy old Shrine Herald who only she had the spiritual talent to see. it was cute it was relaxing, it was a little *cough*bara*cough* and we loved every second of it.

Like I said above, it's a slice of life with a spiritual tilt focusing on Shintoism, which I am a fan of. Each episode or two are their own little happening, usually over the course of a day where a lesson is observed and friendships become deeper. Im going to be quick to compare it to Natsume's book of friends because it's got a lot of similarities; highschooler with amber hair, fuzzy animal companion, and general slice of life peacefulness. Unlike Natsume, I didn't relate quite as strong and the pacing/stories weren't as great as natsume's, but I have a bit of a bias as Natsume is one of my favorie anime of all time. Regardless, the plot is sweet, uniquely the shows own and heartwarming in the end of each story, and I like that.

Animation:
The animation is nothing to write home about, although the moments where Gintaro or a herald use their spirit powers is very well done, with a lot of attention put into the foxfire. It only happens a few times but they're welcome even if they feel a little time fillery later on.

Sound:
The ambience is very sweet throughout the series, with orchestral melodies that fit the mood of the show and are used to great effect to support the scenes.  What I really enjoyed about the ambience and the themes were that while they could be tense to fit a tense scene, or faster for an action scene, it was never sad. Maybe it was melancholy once or twice but never sad.

gin-ta-ro. GIN-TA-RO! GIN-TA-RO!!

It's pretty obvious that the big draw to Gingitusne is this dumb mountain of fluff.not pictured: 90% of this moron
Idiot.

While all the othe slice of life characters are all unique in their own generic slice of life character way, it's the Heralds (Gintaro, Haru, the rest...) who steal the show and Gintaro here is our headliner;  A fluffy mountain of a fox spirit living at the local Inari shrine with Makoto (a shrine maiden to be) and her father (who married into the family and cannot see the heralds even as a priest). Gintaro is big and burly and looks like a giant goddamn pillow which I could sleep on with 5 of my friends and I love him. As stoic as Gintaro appears, most of the time, he shares an incredibly close bond with Makoto and both care for the other in some of the deepest ways.

Haru, the other herald who comes to live at the shrine, is a much smaller but equally adorable pillow. One I would hug while resting my head on spralwed out in my bed. My bed is Gintaro.

Conclusion:
The characters are agreat and they're mine and you cannot have them. I am going to hug this fuzzy jerk untill I die. The shows plots are sort of easy to forget. They'll come back to you in bits if you think about them, but you will always remember the characters. If slice of life, furries, or spirits are your jam, it's worth a watch cuddled up with a plushie you like and some oranges.

tollie01's avatar
Nov 25, 2015

Allright. It's been a while since I've done something like this so bear with me as I try to find my way again.I did quite a lot of them in the past on a different website which you can find here: http://legendsofsatura.net/index.php/forum125/6-reviewing-guild.html

....They probably aren't very good though but please do stop by if you have the time and inclination. Originally the site was for writers, mostly original but also fanfiction.

Also I'm Dutch so there will be spelling errors. If you find them annoying give me a shout and I'll try to fix them.

Oh, I will try to keep spoilers to a minimum but there will be some. Usually the worse I rate an anime the more spoilers this will contain. You have been warned

So, you have probably already read what the animation is about in the discription given by Anime-Planet, which is the same as on the box. I will therefore try not go into the story that much unless I'm ranting about something (spoilers).

CHARACTERS: Main character is Makoto who became the 15th generation heiress of the shrine she lives at when her mother died at age 4. This allows her to see the spirits of her shrine and Gintaro in particular. She uses Gintaro to perform small miracles, specializing in finding lost items.

Gintaro is an Inari, messenger spirit for the Gods, at the shrine. He appears as a huge fox spirit that only Makoto can see. He is rather cynical and gruff but has a soft spot for Makoto and a passion for oranges.

STORY: I actually liked it. Story is sort of a slice of life with supernatural tones.

I think that the reason that I liked it so much is the fact that Makoto is a very likable person and the interaction between her and Gintaro is very fun and dynamic. There are plenty of side characters to spice things up and keep things interesting.

Unfortunately that is about it. I'm trying as hard as I can to come up with both good and bad things to say but nothing is coming to me. I think that this is because ultimately not a whole lot happens in the anime.

There is no real arc that goes towards a finale so the anime just plots along like a slow moving river. I'm not saying that the anime should have a finale and it is often a problem for me as they tend to feel forced and tacked on but you don't need a big finale to finish an anime as this.