Get Backers - Reviews

Rbastid's avatar
Sep 16, 2013

To be honest I first purchased this series because of the cost on Ebay and Amazon, i'm not sure if I paid more than $3 for each DVD and $5 for the disc 1 and 6 boxes.  As I waited to reach the show in my queue I kind of dreaded it, looking at some of the pictures I thought it might be one of those cheap kids network shows that really doesn't entertain, where each episode is a copy of the last, and damn was I wrong.

Story - 9/10

From my experiences in Anime so far, Get Backers has an original sub-plot that follows all episodes, the two main characters, Ban and Ginji, are exactly what the the title of the show says they are, get gackers, they recover items, and at times intangible things, that have been stolen.  Though the story often pulls away into a different focus, this is always the reason why they do what they're doing, be it fighting, helping someone from danger or in many cases getting themselves out of trouble.

One of my favorite parts of the show is how they break down the episodes.  Some are single stand alone shows that can be enjoyably watched time and time again, (but the whole show basically is,) others are two part episodes or even larger 6+ episode story arcs.

Each character also gets an episode, or maybe a few characters in an episode, where we learn of their background and their connection to our two main heroes.  There is also a very extensive story about Ginji's origin, where he grew up, how he changed the place for the better and how members of his former gang are trying to protect what he helped make, as others try to destroy it. This story alone would have made two great OVA movies if they really wanted to milk the series.

And although they did end the show with some major stories lacking a conclusion, an unfortunate reality of many anime that get canceled on a moments notice, they gave you enough to enjoy the series.

Animation - 9/10

I loved the different animation styles used in this series.  From backdrops that are drawn with great detail to help us feel what an area is really like, to the minor characters with their special battle techniques, you can see the artist really took pride in their work.  Over the course of the series there are well over 30 great and unique characters who all look amazing.

But the greatest pieces of animation are the many sides of our two main heroes.  Both characters have three distinct forms we see throughout the series, they are looks that help convey their feelings, not just a change of animator like we see in some other shows.  First is their normal for, which we're more than likely to see them in.  Second would be what I guess you would call their Chibi form, Ban's when he is angry and slapping around Ginji, and Ginji's form when he is either really scared or really happy.  And a third random form that shows up once and a while, to fill out scenes where not much is happening.  Ginji's chibi form can be the best thing in anime for people or possibly annoying to others, but i'm in the former, finding it hilarious and something to look forward to in shows.

Sound - 8/10

The Voice overs on this show was done very very well.  With the large amount of characters they made sure not to have any voices sounds the same. There also aren't any of those annoying voices that just have you ignoring the story and instead wishing for some typical anime monster to pop out of nowhere and kill them.

The music, though from what i remember used sparingly, was nicely done, as was the sound design in the many different areas of the Limitless Fortress.

Characters - 9/10

It was easy to love the characters in Get Backers, even at times when you were suppose to hate them.  The secondary characters were all developed to a high degree, with each having at least an episode or two to introduce you to them and their backstory before they became a full fledge member of the recovery group. On the other hand the two main characters, Ban and Ginji, were very strongly developed, but there were a few points to their backstory that seemed to be missing.

As for the uniqueness to each character, I can only attest to the anime I have watched, and some of the characters, such as Dr. Jackal, do seem to be a typical character design we see in many anime, their personalities and stories do set them apart from being just carbon copies, and that is saying a lot as the show has upwards of 30+ unique characters with appearances in multiple, if not a majority of, episodes.

Overall - 9/10

Overall I couldn't be happier that I purchased that first Get Backers DVD Box 1 over a year ago, even if I had paid full price I would have been completely satisfied (something I can't say for many a DVD I set I purchased at full or close to full price.) With great comedy, tons of action and real heart to the stories it fits right up there with the greats like GTO and Trigun. Although I said I dreaded it being a kiddy show and was proven wrong, thats not to say it isn't a great show for a younger audience too.

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Jun 24, 2012

This was so boring I yawned three times while typing this text.

Get Backers is the linear tale of two cardboards with superpowers who find lost or stolen items / people for money… usually scraps. And it is also about generic battles with other cardboards with superpowers while making lame jokes in between… for 49 episodes. And if you think this is enough to keep you interested, then your bar is really, really low.

The thing with shounen shows is that there are interested as long as there is something going on in the show that is worth looking forward to. In this case the core premise is revealed already from the pilot episode, and so is the extend of the main duo’s powers. There is nothing else to keep you interested. The missions are short and almost always stand alone and the superpowers don’t evolve or change or need further strategy that the first simplistic time you stare at them. One makes electricity, the other makes illusions, then they yell “sneiko baito”; that’s it, nothing beyond that.

To be honest, the anime is not 49 episodes with just two dudes looking for something / someone. It is also about their daily lives in their store and a secret organization out to get them. The thing is, both these elements don’t mean much in the long run. The sinister plan of the other superpower dudes in the show is not going further that becoming the strongest and ruling the world. And their daily lives are just boring silly events with platonic relationships and goofing around aimlessly. Nothing to keep you interested for long.

This is what made Naruto so interesting in its early stages you know. It had a huge number of characters, each with a superpower and not entirely identified by it. The world was a big place full of different organizations, different goals, different secrets and different demeanors. It was practically a huge collection of shounen stereotypes and stories, all in one, making it harder to get bored right away. It also got lame when it ceased being all that and, just like Get Backers, ended up being a bunch of cardboards with superpowers having generic battles with other cardboards with superpowers while making lame jokes in between… for 500 episodes.

Anyways, Get Backers went under a lot faster than that, as the fillers and the boring stories and the un-evolving characters made their presence quite soon. To be honest, there is a part where the story gets good and it’s when the duo storms the headquarters of the secret organization. Lots of intense fighting and machoness there, almost non-stop. The thing is, the whole deal ended up being a bunch of villains standing in a line and patiently waiting for the heroes to come pick them out one by one in their own turf, while the last boss was some sort of computer of mass destruction. Nothing really wowing here but the constant battles were worthwhile.

Yet, that was actually the ending of the first half of the series. The second half returned to the lame stand alone adventures of finding something / someone, which after such an epic struggle now felt not just boring but unbearable. Don’t you just hate it when the heroes save the world and just return back to their cranny little business like nothing much happened? One would expect for the second half to end in a similar or even more epic way but naaaah, it was tad boring and even open ended. A completely disappointing conclusion for anyone having the patience to follow the show all the way to the end and expecting a redeeming finale.

Visuals and soundtracks aren’t helping either as they are both quite low-budgeted and average, becoming forgettable right away as well. The characters all have generic looks besides generic personalities and simplistic powers, the animation and the battles are stingy on motion and vividness, the dialogues are retarded shounen “I describe anything I do in the middle of the battle”, the music score is passable pop songs and generally everything screams mediocrity… in a very generic tone.

The only things I remember after all these years I originally watched it was the overused scream of “sneiko baito” and some tower full of Naruto look-alikes. Not the best thing to say about any show that aims to be more than boring and forgettable. I do not recommend it and propose One Piece or even Fairy Tail as better alternatives. Not Naruto; it also GetBackered after the fillers kicked in.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 5/10
Analysis: General Artwork 1/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 1/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 1/2

SOUND SECTION: 4/10
Analysis: Voice Acting 1/3, Music Themes 1/4, Sound Effects 2/3

STORY SECTION: 2/10
Analysis: Premise 1/2, Pacing 0/2, Complexity 0/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 1/2

CHARACTER SECTION: 4/10
Analysis: Presence 1/2, Personality 1/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 0/2, Catharsis 1/2

VALUE SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 1/4

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Art 0/1, Sound 0/2, Story 1/3, Characters 1/4

VERDICT: 3/10

casandra29's avatar
Dec 19, 2015

This anime is obviously pretty old and so you have to make consessions regarding the animation, music and other factors. That being said it is a fairly good anime. After episode 11. The introductions of all of the main characters and who they are is too drawn out but after you get through that, it gets pretty good for a while then you have to fast forward again before you get to decent parts yet again.

The story is interesting enough if they just cut large chunks out of it, though in the beginning it feels disjointed and it goes on like that for far too long. The beginning is many small stories that introduce the characters to you and their jobs. After that the main story begins, but I feel that the story was written for a younger crowd. That being said, if you like comedy, combined with supernatural and action elements, then the story could definately grow on you so long as you don't expect it to have too much depth. To me I felt like the story had potential that it didn't quite live up to. Things like rationality and how the characters come to their conclusions about a job or where something is, doesn't always add up. They attempt to explain some attacks and conclusions sometimes that really make little sense. The tone of the story changes back and forth almost giving me whiplash at times. However, I can still say that it was entertaining enough when the main jobs happen to keep me going until it's completion.  After episode 25 I think it's worth noting that it devolves into dumb independent small jobs that have no relevance but at least the show finishes decently. I would be lying if I didn't admit to looking on wikipedia for when they would actually start moving into more plot heavy parts so I  could skip over 10 episodes again. I am not into pure comedy that is going absolutely nowhere as far as the plot is concerned. If you are the type to find entertainment in comedy alone with no context then im sure you would have no issue with all the episodes in between but I couldn't handle it.

The animation is actually not bad. However, you obviously should not expect it to stand up to newer titles. If you do keep in mind the age though, you will see that it was done decently.

The sound is average as far as affects and voice acting is concerned. I did not care for the opening and ending songs. However, as I have said before this anime is dated and so the songs are as well. Their quality is not bad, it's just personal preference that makes the opening and ending songs not to my liking.

The characters were the biggest issue I had with the series though they are usually what I judge most harshly in all anime and manga. The main characters are almost to a T cliche in a very over done way. In addition most of them lack depth even with the large amount of time they spent introducing them and letting the viewer get to know them... there just isn't much to them at all. Another issue I have is that the characters are forced to say the same thing when they attack people which is very cliche and annoying. Almost insulting to the watcher like they expect we cannot remember what the attack was unless they repeat themselves each time they do it. The antagonists abilities and reasoning are shallow and stale. In fact some have little in the way of comprehensible reasons to attempt the things that they do. However, even with all these bad things about the show the main characters can still end up growing on you as the show moves on. Especially the 2 guys from the Get Backers recovery service.

Overall, I would say that this show is possible to enjoy if you give it a chance and don't give up when it goes down hill after episode 25 again. However, I would think that it is a one that many people stall out on and drop after they see the first few episodes really going nowhere and how cliche the show is. Still it has it's high points during some parts if you manage to get past the bad things about it.

Lorialis's avatar
Aug 9, 2011

I really wanted to give this series a lower score, but since I dropped it four episodes in, I thought that would be pretty unfair.

I had always heard a lot of good things about this series from friends who I normally trust the tastes of.  After watching just a few episodes of this, I began to question their judgement.

I liked the concept of the show, it was simple, but I think simplicity is occasionally important because it gives you a lot to work with.  The general story is about partnership between Midou and Ginji who are free-lance workers who's mission is to retrieve items for employers that were either lost or stolen - by any means necessary.  An anime with such a general topic has so much wiggle room for plot, but it failed to catch me by the 4th episode, so I ultimately dropped it.  Someone might say that that is "unfair," but if something fails to grab you within two hours, a movie's time, then why would you bother to go further?

I'm simply grading what I saw.

The characterization seemed like nothing more than a clumsy attempt at making stereotyped cookie-cutter characters.  A lot of series tend to implement such a system, but usually the expansion of the character beyond just the stereotype is usually obvious by the end of the first episode.  By the end of the fourth episode, I just couldn't take the stale, overdone characters another minute.  Ginji is your typical "goofy" character.  His humor is often interjected at inappropriate times when you're just getting adjusted to a situation.  The humor is usually pretty poorly done to start with, and if you're unfortunate enough to witness the awful English dubbing, the acting doesn't really assist the cause.  Midou is your typical cold, intelligent, semi-mysterious character.

There were times where actions would be explained outloud by the characters.  While I do appreciate when a writer can explain the causes behind an action or why a seemingly impossible thing is possible in the world of the characters, it was always done irrationally.  Midou has a power that allows him to cause hallucinations in people simply by looking into their eyes.  Instead of just having the audience come to conclusions on their own - which would've been really easy considering the sickeningly obvious way the action was performed - they decide to have Midou blatantly say something along the lines of, "This is happening to you because I have this thing with my eyes that I do."  Do they really expect the audience to be that stupid?  Why on earth would he explain that to an opposing character?  This is the episode where I just dropped it.

If you enjoy carefully constructed plots with wonderful comedic timing and rich characterization, you probably shouldn't watch this.  If you want to watch a cookie-cutter style anime filled with tacky stereotypical humor, the same old characters in a different story, and English voice acting that might make you feel a bit suicidal, this is definitely the show for you.

Radaghast's avatar
Oct 10, 2009

Getbackers is an anime that gets mentioned a lot in the context of many new series, as in "an hypnotic eye? hey, they had that in Getbackers, you know!" or in "using perfumes in a fight? hey, Getbackers did it already!". Since I'm known to my friends as a guy who can find a dozen of things borrowed from Dragon Ball in just about any anime, I was genuinely intrigued. After having read a recommendation that said Getbackers are similar to sCRYed, I was hesitant again since I found the latter a tad too boring, but I gave it a shot anyway. I wasn’t too disappointed.

It's a pretty decent anime. It's very classic in a sense that it has a couple of big tournament-oriented plot arcs, quite a number of rescue arcs, with bunches of mission-oriented one-shots stuffed between them, and a beach episode, and a bunch of good and bad superheroes with inconsistent abilities, and lots of humour, etc. Kinda like Flame of Recca, which is also not terribly popular, but done very canonic. The main heroes are the overly cute one (seriously, he's drawn so cute I was disgusted for a few first episodes, and then in the second half they start making a chibi out of him all the time, which is also pretty annoying) and the cold-hearted one (as usual, being a jerk to everyone makes almost everyone like you). There are some small bugs that I can't be bothered to make a complete list of, because they are mostly of that dread drama-goes-first type. In short, it is not an anime for someone who cares about the settting integrity, you just have to relax and enjoy the story in large. Well, just to name one: there is this Mugenjou place that got lots of people in it, some of them are real and some are virtual, you can't tell unless someone tries to exit the building: the real ones get away ok, the virtual ones disappear. There is a time when a virtual guy jumps out of the window just to be caught later by the main hero to tell him how he is loved by everyone bla bla bla — shouldn’t he just disappear at the moment he steps out of the window, though? Nah, it wouldn’t be as dramatic!

The most enjoyable point is this anti-hero dude, called Dr. Jekyll, who appears regularly and is even defeated a couple of times, but is always scary and always a real threat. I love this kind of character, and he’s really tough to portray, actually. Piccolo at the very beginning of DBZ, Hisoka in HxH, perhaps Kuchiki Byakuya from Bleach — I didn’t say they are scarce, I only said they are difficult to do right. The key phrase Midou Ban says to Jekyll at the very end: "if you ever come after us again, I'll just defeat you again" — is frequently realised by the watcher way too early. With Jekyll, you’re never comfortable, you’re never safe: the first time he’s defeated, it takes a trick, which later seems to be the last weak point of him; even the second time he talks like he still had something up his sleeve. Such characters are even harder to get right in RPG, but that’s another story, an even longer one. A perfect example of making fun of this type of character is Buggy the Clown from One Piece. Anyways, high five on getting this guy right, just five (out of ten) otherwise.