Gamers! - Reviews

BritishPotato's avatar
Aug 22, 2017

I wasn't initially going to watch this, but I'm glad I did. The anime is light hearted and doesn't force it's humour, it's a funny story that revolves around a group of unlikely friends who all have two things in common, gaming & a confusing sense of a love triangle, each one more ludicrous than the other. Definitely reccommend this anime if you're just looking for a barrel of laughs.

slinkast's avatar
Sep 28, 2017

If i could describe the anime with one word it would be "cringe"

The misunderstanding cliche was strong in this one.

Brassen's avatar
Oct 6, 2017

The animation is quite good and the sound is also fine, were this anime fails is in it's story and characters.

If i would sum up the entire anime in one thought it would be "Misunderstandings the anime" literally the only thing creating any drama in the anime is the fact that everyone are such idiots that they misunderstand everything the others do. Now i'm not saying that having misunderstandings as a plot point is bad or anything, but if the misunderstandings occur only to drive the story forward witch it fails at, then it gets annoying to watch the anime after the 11th misunderstanding there is.

The misunderstandings paint people in a bad color as well, for example, there is this couple in the anime, the girl sees her boyfriend walking with another girl by the sidewalk laughing, now the reaction a normal human being would have would be to think, they look like good friends, and maybe ask about their friendship at a later time. but nope! he's cheating... this not only makes me think the girlfriend character is incredibly insecure but also has a very low opinion about her own boyfriend, she doesn't even have the decency to ask him directly about it.

As you can see i did not find this anime to be any good but there are some jokes in the anime that made me smile, but on the whole the anime story is not only bad but frustrating and i don't feel like ever watching this anime again.

Dionkeykong's avatar
Oct 26, 2018

Soooooooooooo.....Yup......Gamers is the anime i'll be reviewing today and...It has an exclamation mark at the end, as you can probably see..If you're blind i'm sorry can't help you with that.

And where to start really? Maybe with the story? Yeah let's go with that and see how it plays out..

Ok then, the story is about gam...No it isn't actually. You see my dear friends this anime apart from the first and maybe the last episode where they vaguely talk about games, is a rom-com kinda deal. So the anime starts with Amano Keita-one of the most basic lads in anime-who,one fateful day,meets the Gamer Club President Tendo Karen..And SHE is not basic at all..In fact i'd say she is a solid fucking 8.

Now before you call me names you'll regret cause i'm one to bite back and bite hard, i mention the rankings because Karen falls for the beta male and basic as fuck protagonist..What a surprise, right? Well no..Cause Karen as it happens invited Keita to her club and the next thing you know is he rejected her with a killer smile and that was that..She was head over heels for him. And that is actually very realistic cause people always want what they can't have..It becomes an obssession of some sorts which leads to broken marriages and one parent families and kids starting cocaine and robbing marts and raping old ladies in dark alleys..You know, the small things.

Then Karen starts stalking the brave knight while he gets to live a life full of naked and willing otaku gamer girls, who are there to please his needs, no matter how sick they are..I guess sick here means playing a video game other than Candy Crush?!

And from there starts a whatfuckery the world has yet to witness the likes of. All you need to know is that there are couples and every single individual thinks that their other half is cheating on them when in reality they don't..I wonder if the writers actually wanted to make an anime about a swingers club but the studio wanted to make it more family friendly,which is another word for no fun.

Oh and remember that club i mentioned earlier? Well that club and indeed it's 2 other senior members are nowhere to be seen after the first episode, which is a shame really cause one of them was a girl and let me tell you that bird had titties the size of a planet.

Back to the love octagon..Other than the 2 cast members i mentioned earlier there are also some other characters such as Tasuku, a former geeky gamer who somehow turned into the Japanese equivelant of Brad Pitt. Then we have Aguri, Tasuku’s pink headed girlfriend and Chiaki, a lone wolf type of gamer and last but least Chiaki’s younger sister whose name i can't be bothered to remember or search cause i have better things to do, like ending my life probably..All you need to know about her is that she's there to add a little slut spice into the already fucked up mix of gangbangery.

So a fucked up story NOT about gamers apart from the fact that they just identify as such,a cast built just to see how far a swinging club can go and what you end up with is a fun anime to watch..And i really can't put my finger on it, cause it really shouldn't work, but it's a joy to watch. Granted the title and the story on paper are misleading but then again it's still a silly anime and one you can watch after, say, binge watching a heavy duty series.

The characters are by no means boring with their little shenanigans and quirks. Every character has something to show about....Apart from development that is. So if you're on a look for an anime with characters that are interesting and show some actual growth then this is not the one for you. This is meant mostly as a break from these anime, that's the only way it can make sense in my mind.

As far as animation and music go things are pretty much standard. The characters are your standard anime fellows and the backgrounds are nicely done...It's a 2017 lineup anime so production value is very good..Unless you happen to stumble upon an anime with FUCKIN' CGI  in it.

Music and VA are there surely..Opening and closing songs are very nicely done to keep in touch with the game theme..Even though the anime is about imaginary cheating.

To sum it up then, Gamers is by no means a great anime and after 10 mins of watching it you'll forget everything about it. But it serves its' purpose if you want something fun and light before you go and watch Tokyo Ghoul for example.

Should you watch it? Yeah, why not..Just for the laughs while having a nice soothing drink it's ideal.

4.5/10 overall
PowerUpOrDie's avatar
Oct 24, 2017

A farcical school rom-com that’s one of the funniest anime I’ve seen in a good while, even if it does slip up a little towards the end.

STORY

The Encyclopedia Britannica defines ‘Farce’ as “[A] comic dramatic piece that uses highly improbable situations, stereotyped characters, extravagant exaggeration, and violent horseplay.” Essentially, it’s a form of comedy where everything is so overblown and ridiculous that the audience is never meant to take it seriously. Running on an outlandish series of comedic errors and exaggerated reactions, the main cast manages to convince themselves their video game loving friend group is a tangled web of love triangles, while in reality there are only two non-competing couples. The show does this for the first half of its run and it’s comedy gold.

Unfortunately, in the second half the show made the mistake of starting to take itself seriously and the quality slips a bit. An actual love triangle develops, an unnecessary character is introduced, and there’s less comedy to go around. The ED is even changed for a couple episodes, with much more melodramatic music and imagery. Gamers! never slips entirely into a dramatic series, but it really should have stayed a farce. To top it all off, the last episode is a filler spa episode centering around a conversation about DLC and fan-service that gets seriously ramped up in a series that’s otherwise fairly tame in that department. The show should have stuck with comedy all the way, that’s its best asset.

ANIMATION & SOUND

The animation is a flat 5 here. It does what it needs to do, has no major flaws, and looks nice enough, but I can’t think of single thing it does unusually well.

This is an English Dub series all the way. Comedy is just so much better in your native language, and the voice actors do quite well conveying the ludicrous, exaggerated emotions and rapid-fire dialogue necessary for a good farce. I haven’t laughed out loud at an anime in a good long while, and this show did the trick.

The soundtrack is fine, with the OP being a catchy and happy little pop song, but I really can’t remember a single piece of music that played during the show.

CHARACTERS

Real people don’t act remotely like this, folks. I can sympathize with going in ridiculous over-analysis of a romantic situation only to draw the completely wrong conclusion, but it’s heavily played up for rule-of-funny. The cast plays up their stereotypes hilariously, the generic, wishy-washy main character, the gorgeous school idol hiding a nerdy secret, the cocky schemer whose schemes always backfire on him, etc. The big mistake occurs in the second half of the show where the story tries to make these loons work in a scenario that’s just a little too serious for them to handle well.

OVERALL

I greatly enjoyed this lunatic farce of a rom-com. I just wish it had stayed that way to the end. As it is, the slight tone shift took Gamers! from ‘great’ to ‘good’.

7.5/10 story