Fuse: Memoirs of a Huntress - Reviews

Alt title: Fuse Teppou Musume no Torimonochou

snivets's avatar
Dec 25, 2013

Action-driven yet human-focused, Teppou Musume does a fantastic job of keeping the tension high in this tale about a group of part-human, part-beasts who are terrorizing Edo.

The story is fairly basic, driven by a hunter girl who moves to Edo to join her brother. There, they participate in the hunt for the "Fuse," half-human, half-dog beings who are eating human beings. Along her journey, she inadvertantly makes a connection to one of them.

I thought the story was good, yet sparse, and not terribly deep, but certainly interesting in a "touching-on-themes" type of way. The characters were similar, and definitely human, flawed, emotional, and interesting--but also not terribly deep, nor did any of them develop a lot.

If you like stories about the supernatural set in older eras of Japan, this show will probably interest you. If you like indie or less-well-known shows, this is a pretty decent one.

6.5/10 story
sakuramemories's avatar
Dec 31, 2017

If you're into feudal japan with a mix of fantasy and star-crossed love, then this movie is just for you. I totally love it. with all my favourite and popular seiyuus in an anime movie, it was a great choice to kick-start my 2018 anime watching challenge. :3

resuccitation's avatar
Apr 3, 2018

UGH, do you want to ruin your emotions?

Watch this

Honestly, ruins your fucking mood and day, because this is an anime movie, and they are either there to make you feel like you can do anything, or it makes you feel too scared to do anything because you might get hurt. This is the latter of the two types.

It has an amazing story line, it hooks you in at the beginning, just like how your teacher would've told you in school, they made the beginning interesting. The movie is based off Japanese folklore, and the story line is nicely interwoven

This movie isn't one of a kind, there are a lot of similarities, but even though it's not one of a kind, it's still unbelievably beautiful and breathtaking. No, I'm over exaggerating but this is really nicely animated, it might not be everyone cup of tea and if it isn't piss off because "positive vibes only :)". The art style used in this movie is unique, you never see anything quite this raw, sometimes the art is just a bundle of lines, but it pulls it off and makes it work.

There is a really nice OST that plays and honestly I GET THE HECKN FEELS EVERY SINGLE TIME IT COMES ON AND [insert keyboard smashing] it gets me in my feels.

The characters are so heckn cute, they are all connected in a way to the old Japanese folklore tale, they all have such strong willed characters, except the brother, everyone really is their own individual. There are characters that clash, and the characters that mash, they all have their moments and are all lovable.

Just like this movie so go watch it please, it really will ruin your day because it's so cute !

7.6/10 characters
IAnnMichelle's avatar
Sep 26, 2014

This was quite an interesting movie. In a way, one it's kind. I love the fact that it's based of an actual folklore and famous and old book series  called The Eight Dog Warriors. It doesn't actually start off from where the book starts off but is just a excerpt from it. All the same, the movie itself is very wonderful. It is gritty, and soft at the same time. It has a tragic and harsh sense of reality, yet it still has room for humor, joy, an romance. The scenery and music  is beautiful. The characters are intersting as well.  They are very loveable. The encounters they have with each other and hint of past connections with others is very interesting.  It's ending is finished strong with a beautifully soft flow. It also hint's the possibility of conituation, but can easily just be the end. The only thing I wish they could have done differently is started it from the very start. I wanted to know what happened to some characters previously to get them to the point they started them off with. They could possibly make a movie that preluded this one, along with one that continued. It could have easily have been a good anime as well, but I applaud them for the way they chose to film it all the same. It's a beautiful tale and highly recommend to others to watch or atleast try!

9.6/10 story
9.9/10 animation
9.7/10 characters
9.8/10 overall
TheRogueNob's avatar
Apr 15, 2020

First thing I don't know how to quick review/ recommend without spoiling to much but, if you really enjoy movies,  feudal Japan stories and romances that are created by thin air then go ahead and watch it. Also this movie has an almost American/ non Japanese feel that I can't quite describe, you'd have to watch it yourself to figure out what I mean. This movie disappointed me, it couldn't find a tone to stay consistent the plot drives the characters and said characters make decisions that seemingly make no sense. By the end of the movie I didnt fee any emotion toward the characters it was only annoyance for how the story just kind of happens which is why this live disappointed me. That is such a brief review and there is so much to unpack with movie but I'll do my best to give a non sploiler review until the story portion. Also if you'd like a rundown of the story read the Anime planet preview it tells you all you need. No need for me to copy and paste what they have said

the animation is pretty good it's very fluid and even the the style is kinda of simple it is nice to look at BUT the some of the faces animations, side profiles and expressions are so bad it made rewind and do a double take this may not bother some people since it is a minor detail but I had to point it out, also the facial animations seems somewhat cartoony for the theme and style of the show. I'll explain more later

sound is acriually pretty good as well the sound of the crowds the mountains and effects of the world sounds great and even though it's a small thing I like pointing out that it stood out. But the music is mostly ok, there is nothing memorable and some music seems off pace/ doesn't. Some scenes have no music at all where I thought it would be much needed but they have not one but TWO sad music music montage that lasted an eternity to me especially they felt so unnecessary and I'm an almost two hour movie they should have focused on putting music in better suited scenes and focused on fleshing out the story more.

the characters for the first half of the movie are pretty goods so after a turning point in the story the only thing that drives the characters is the plot. Which is awful and it feels almost dead impossible to understand why a character does something or also why a character doesn't get punished for doing something. Now to be fair I am not one to get attached to characters so easily and in anime movies it's even harder but the characters honestly just feel like they only serve the to push the plot forward instead of creating a world and situation where the characters can make believable decisions based on characters traits/motivation  previously shown in the movie/ anime again this is hard for movies but they simply just didn't do a good job. (Also I'll get to the two "main" characters in a moment)

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT.

the story is a jumbled mess simply put it's not that they aren't holding the hands of viewers the simply do jot give us enough information only near the last third of the move does a plot sort of piece together so that way there can be a finale.  First I will say the movie up until they kill the 7th fuse was pretty good and it kept me interested the. Hamaji also seems like a pretty good character and her brother also seems to be driven albeit just for money and power. When hamaji sees the head she sees that one is a baby and is taken aback, and I understand that totally I've recreationly hunt and seeing any Baby deer male or female and killing it is scene as a big No no, but also I have a problem with a girl who has been hunting for years get scared of seeing dead animal heads after we she just killed a wolf CARVED IT and ATE IT it seems lieknthe conflictiom she has comes out of nowhere and is always confused me thought the movie. The fuses are said to be thes psychopathic killing machines who have killed men women and children, and the first one we see (later we know as) shino, kills the ronin and samurai that have chased him down except for the leader, which made no sense. He wasn't killed so that the plot could keep going later on serious not killing this guy made no damn sense he just killed almost 10 people but no the leader just partially blinded him and dropped in a river ugh that was frustrating. The next is that the hamaji is then kidnapped by him because he tries to help he since the samurai think she is with him, then he helps her find his brother and he leaves but this girl simply cannot forget about this one guy who is a murder clearly. Then she runs into him 2 more times before the end of the live and they talk and during that time she falls in love with him... how i guess it's because she feels bad for him and because the plot says so because I was trying to make sense of why she loves him. And also she's conflicted with killing after she kills the 7th fuse an says she'll never kill again why does she say this? Why is this relevant for the plot? How does her connection with dog boy change that I don't know and it's never explained. Again leader guy with one eye now is captured by dog boy and the one eyed guy just decides to help shino why? I don't know because humans betray each other and humans bad dog good. And instead of escaping he sacrifices himself and curses shino to meet him in hell. Also shino wanted to die but because hamaji didn't want to kill him because she didn't want to kill him for some reason he decided to just live normally and then when cornered he said Meh screw it im going To go on a rampage and kill anyone of people why? No reason but then he has a reason to kill the shogun but then he decides not to because the shoguns spirit would make him pitiful, so he decides not to. Then he tries to kill himself and hamaji saves him and then she say she loves him and then escape. Then he LEAVES HER BEHIND that is not satisfying. Then they rap up the story for characters that I didn't care about in the end and they try to give it a happy ending I guess but her now finally able to read and write recives a letter from shino and poof that's the end of the movie. Ugghh like I said there is much to unpack with this movie that it would take a 20 video and a paper to explain where this movie failed. Honestly I was disappointed with this movie and that is a very long opinion of mine sorry for going so long and cheers to those who made it this far