Fumiko no Kokuhaku - Reviews

Alt title: Fumiko's Confession

Bronia's avatar
Feb 17, 2013

Story- 7/10

You must be giving me the most incredulous look right now and wondering "How can she possibly give this such a high score for a story when there wasn't even three lines of dialogue?" The story is quick, simple, and completely easy to understand. It wasn't deep- not that it was trying to be. It wasn't tragic or dramatic or in any way a serious, thought provoking look at love. It was just a goofy little short about a girl who gets turned down in favour of baseball.

It's not an original story, really. Nor does it add anything to the romance genre. It would never qualify as a must-see anime for fans of romantic comedies. It's just fun, and that's all it tries to be. What matters is the execution of the plain-jane of a story- just a quick, fun watch of little impact.

Animation- 9/10

It's not got the same style as every other anime out there, and I just love that kind of show! Why do you think I'm still desperate to watch "Fuujin Monogatari" even though I've never found a subbed stream? The animation style is a perfect fit for the anime- it's quick, simple, and fun!

The animation itself is smooth, presumably CG, but very bright and cute. The houses and buildings are just adorable and the scenery is beautifully cartoonish.

Sound- 10/10

The soundtrack is half the humor of the show. Considering the music is supposed to enhance the mood of whatever you're watching, that means it's pretty well suited. The voice acting is, like the rest of the show, fast and funny. The lines are very blunt which just adds to the laughs. I didn't hear enough to decide if the VA's were good or not. Considering there's only a few lines of dialogue that shouldn't be a problem (unless you can't stand a bit of incomprehensible screaming.)

Characters- 6/10

I am not sure how to score the characters. They aren't even one-dimensional- all we learn about them is that Fumiko loves Takashi and Takashi loves baseball. By that logic, they never do anything that would contradict their characters, but really we know next to nothing about them. There's obviously no character development and we never really have to decide if we love or hate them. It is a two minute video, so they're good to laugh with for the duration of the show, but you won't remember them for years to come.

Overall- 8/10

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm scoring this as what it is- a two minute web video. If you're looking for something groundbreaking and thought provoking then my scores mean nothing. However, if you're looking for a quick laugh or some comic relief after a marathon of dramatic romances (or just about anything.) look no further. Fumiko no Kokuhaku is a fun, quick, hilarious short that you will enjoy only if you're looking for something fun, quick, and hilarious.

yelizaveritas's avatar
Dec 10, 2010

It lasts for only 2 mins 22 seconds. It's really hard to say anything that makes sense - because Fumiko no Kokuhaku definitely is not about sense, deep feelings and all that.

Story is as simple as a hamster - it's cute, yet very sudden. It starts with a girl's confession to a boy she likes. He says no - and she starts to run. And run. And even more run. And soon she just can't stop making her - very fast - way down from a hill. The truth is - all you get is just about a minute and a half of crazy run.

Animation is very cute. I personally loved it a lot. It fits the story and characters.

I guess, best way to give it a description is to say 'If you watched FLCL, imagine a non-scifi, very short and very simple version of it'.

NoUsename2000's avatar
Nov 24, 2021

BEST ANIME SHORT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVEN IF IT'S 2 MINUTES AND 22 SECONDS LONG

bobhikes's avatar
Feb 2, 2021

It reminds me and made me laugh like when I watched the Road Runner and Coyote on the WB cartoons as a kid.  Its worth the 3 minutes if you want to smile.

Tyman2007's avatar
Jan 9, 2011

Story; 2/10

Have you ever once sat down and thought to yourself, "What would make a good story?" Well, if your answer is yes, then you probably would never even consider the story of this to be good. The story is directed towards making this a funny anime. It's funny in some kind of sense, but the fact that they're focusing primarily on panty shots really bothers me. It's a 2 minute anime, so there isn't much room to put in a story, but even I could do something better. For the type of anime it is though, I have to say it's at least fitting.

Animation; 7.2/10

The animation was actually quite something. It was unexpectedly good I would have to say. When I first observed it, the character designs were a bit laughable, but as the anime progressed it showed the true quality of work behind it. The scenes were smooth and looked like a work from one of our more famous anime companies, and I was shocked.

Sound; 6.6/10

It had fitting sound, fitting music, which added to the overall effect. The amount added though is not substantial and is nothing special. I don't think it could be much better though.

Characters; 3/10

I had a bit of an understanding on what the characters were like. During those 2 minutes, I think I learned a lot. Why do I say "I think"? Because I only learned about how they are in one category. I only found 1 character's name, and it's not even the character that's most focused on.

Overall; 6.3/10

I think a 6.3 is a bit generous, but looking back at the anime, it did make me smile. I wouldn't recommend this right away to anyone really, as in I just won't mention it as a "This is a must see." If someone asks for something that will make them smile, then I will hand them this. It's watchable, but I wouldn't count on saying anything above that.

7.2/10 animation