Fruits Basket 1st Season - Reviews

ZoologyKaM's avatar
Jul 9, 2019

This is a faithful to manga remake, and whether you've seen the orignal anime or read read the manga, or have no experience with the series at all, this is worth the watch.

Characters are well built and you'll quickly find a favorite, though some definitely have some quirks about them. The series is really deep and full of secrets which only get hinted at within the first season. We're back for the long haul and this anime is going until the manga is covered in it's entirety. I CAN'T WAIT!!

Sailnir's avatar
Jul 16, 2019

If you have been looking for a wonderful casual anime to watch look no further. The story is enough to keep one entertained and sweet enough to allow one to simply relax. It has its ups and downs and you can enjoy the whole story as a result.

The animation is georgeous. Extremely detailed and fun. It really pops! I would compare it to many of the best animated shows out there because it often comes close.

The music is calm and totally fitting to the show.

The characters are really where this show shines. Every character is treated in such an astoundingly human way with just a little over the top flair but not too much. It makes the show truly immersive. You can relate and get to know each of the characters in a deep way, their happiness, their saddness and why they act the way they do. They really are the best part of the show.

Pros: Fun story, great animation, fun sounds, amazing characters, totally clean and wholesome

Cons: If you are looking for something intense go try something else. This is only meant for those who truly enjoy relaxing and it is one of the best ways to relax.

4RootPunch's avatar
Jul 12, 2019

It brings back so much nostalgia from when I read the manga, and I love all the characters so much. I really like the change in art style too!

PushingZedzzzzz's avatar
Sep 29, 2019

I love this anime, I didn't think I would, but it's hard not to fall in love with it.

It's extremely hard to find fault with it. If I had to, at a push, I would say there were 1 or 2 eps that didn't hit the spot quite as much as the rest, but I still enjoyed them, so i can't really call it a fault.

Definitely addictive, leaves you wanting more. Can't wait for season 2, but it's not out until next year (I MISS IT ALREADY! 😭). This is a feel Good Anime (even though there are some sad scenes). WELL WORTH A WATCH!!!

(I'VE TRIED TO AVOID  ANY SPOILERS, I DONT THINK THERE ARE ANY BUT I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE IF I'M MISTAKEN)

So here is my rough take on this amazing anime, in a nutshell...

• STORY & CHARACTERS...

- It's a great story and stays true to the original (I've not completed the original, but from what I have seen of the earlier version & manga, I'd say that, so far it stays true)

# MAIN CHARACTER'S (MC) - ROLE IN THE STORY

FEMALE MC

A teenage girl who's recent circumstances force her to have to deal with adult problems & hardships on her own. She is trying to remain cheerful & optimisticthe dispite having just lost her Mother, the only member of her family that truly cared for her.

MALE MC's

A disfunctional group of male family members, who are members of the main zodiac family branch and are living together in order to distance themselves from the other zodiac members. All carry the burden of keeping the secrets of the zodiac family, each one has their own individual tragic past which plagues them.

SUPPORTING CHARACTERS

There are lots of supporting characters, most of which are well fleshed out for side characters. Most supporting characters hold an important role in the story and most make regular a appearance.

# GENERAL UNDERLYING (STORY/CHARACTERS) - What I think the moral to the story is, so far...

Crossing paths & becoming friends, leads them to change and see things differently. Challenging adversity and acknowledging and accepting themselves and each other.

Story demonstrates a combination of happy & sad circumstances. It shows the importance of trust, loyalty in friendships, love & romance (This is a reverse harem), as well as platonic love, acceptance & hope in order to start their journeys to overcome past and present discrimination, oppression, stereotyping, bullying, greif, loss, heartbreak, self loathing, hardship and loneliness. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, having hopes for a happier future.

With the girl taking centre stage and holding it all together, and the boys internal struggle to find the courage to love themselves enough to understand & accept that they too deserve to be loved. Dealing with falling in love & overwhelming jealousy -  not knowing how to deal with their feelings.

# SUMMARY KEY POINTS

- Characters are well fleshed out & are easy to distinguish between, both in looks and in personality.

- Both character's & the relationships between characters are developed well.

- Attractive Characters (BISHIE). Easy on the eyes.

- It's easy to identify with the emotions of the characters. It's also the type of anime that makes you want to start building "SHIPS" for MC early on! lol, but you might end up wanting to build more than one SHIP for her! It's a rollercoaster!

(Btw, for people who don't understand the term "SHIP" (because I didn't at first) it's a term used by fans (mostly for manga/webtoons etc,) and it's short slang for (romantic) RelationSHIPs. So if you see someone say "I SHIP IT" it means they want the characters to be together). I know most of you are aware of this but some people might not be aware.

Anyway, moving on...lol

- This is an anime that will leave you feeling good (even though it has some really sad scenes)

**Warning**There are scenes that will turn you into an Emotional Wreck!

All I can say is...Prepare to cry! Have tissues at the ready! (You will need them!).

• ANIMATION

- Animation is fab! It's done very well and it's consistently high quality.

- The original Fruit Baskets was really good when it was made, but the 2019 version is top notch!

- Characters are pretty and & very appealing (It's a Bishie feast lol)

- The overall animation is super! Very aesthetically pleasing.

• SOUND & VA

- Japanese Voice Actors do a fab job (Sub is best). Voices really suite the characters. I didn't like the English VA in the Dub.

-  They soundtrack is amazing! It fits the anime perfectly!

# SUBBED OR DUBBED??? It's personal preference... But IMO...

Fruit Baskets (2019) is Sooooo much better watched in Japanese with English Subs. I didn't like the Dub at all. I'm not saying this because I'm against Dubbed anime (I even watch One Piece Dubbed 🤫 because I can't stand the Japanese VA in the sub Version). I admit that I do tend to prefer Subbed over Dubbed anime on the whole though.

So there you have it. Fruit Baskets, it's better Subbed Imo.

• OVERALL

A superb remake! A must watch! Hope my review helped! X

Symka's avatar
Oct 10, 2019

I couldn't recommend this enough.

I usually don't like when people redo an anime, but as soon as this remake was announced I was SO excited for it.

Another chance to see Tohru, Kyo and Yuki? With revamped animation? In a show that actually follows the manga? I was here for it. I'm still here for it.

There isn't much I can say regarding the story in this review that I didn't already cover in the manga review; however,  the pacing, emotions, and character development were all so incredibly well balanced and well done in this anime compared to the 2001 version, that it honestly feels like an entirely different show. The characters were treated with so much more justice ((No changing of silly things like Tohru's eye color, or Kyo's bracelet color and story origins).And the secondary characters like Kaguya had much more life put into them as something other than just a gag type character.

The soundtrack was wonderful, bittersweet and moving, and the voice acting was perfect. I especially loved the Japanese voice actors take on Kyo.

While the opening song was no longer the iconic one from the earlier version, the new one was still a beautiful sequence and a wonderful start-up to the over all feel of the show. I'm definitely looking forwards to Season 2, and hoping for many more seasons to follow!

tldr: Honestly not much more I could say that I haven't said already (In manga review) other than: Watch it, watch it, watch it!