Fruits Basket 1st Season

Fruits Basket 1st Season
Add review
OkamiHime95's avatar
Jan 1, 2020

First thing's first, this was one of my recs for Secret Santa 2019, (which I know I'm late on, but part of it was due to trying to figure out how I wanted to write a review for this amazing anime.) and I haven't watched the original series nor read the manga yet.

I'll be honest and say I wasn't so sure if I'd really like it or not, (I thought the concept was interesting, but the first episode was a bit slow for me, and I almost was going to "stall" it, but I'm so glad that I didn't!)

A (somewhat) brief synopsis: This is about a girl named Tohru Honda who lost both her parents, (her dad when she was very young, and her mother in an accident) and eventually got adopted by her grandfather, after none of her other relatives wanted her. Long story short, certain events happen and Tohru's grandfather can't really take care of her anymore, so he tells her to ask her friend's to see if she can live with them. Tohru (not wanting to be a burden to her friend's) declines, and pitches a tent in the woods. (Unbeknownst to her, on one of the Soma families land.) She meets Shigure & Yuki Soma, (along with several other members of the family as the show goes on) and asks if she could live with them. (Which they agree to on certain conditions, but I won't say what.)

Animation: Well what can I say, other than I thought it was simply great?! :P

Sound: I really liked the music. (Those little versions of the zodiac animals were so cute! <3 )

Characters: As someone with selective muteness due to trauma/getting bullied & anxiety, I could really relate with Kisa Soma, (and in certain ways Yuki) and thus she is one of my favorite characters. Ayame & Shigure were a riot, and Yuki, well... ;) (I also really like Haru. ;) ) There were several others I liked too, but Kisa, Yuki & Haru are my top 3.

Overall thoughts: This anime was really wholesome, and had me laughing at some parts, and almost tearing up at others, especially towards the end. (Won't say why due to major spoilers.) If you haven't watched this yet, I highly implore you to do so. (Though you might need tissues lol.) I can't wait for season 2 to come out, and I look forward to reading the manga & watching the original anime someday..! (^_^)

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 animation
7.5/10 sound
8.5/10 characters
Vorosh's avatar
Dec 8, 2019

Growing up I watched this little anime called His and Her Circumstances and just fell in love with the shoujo genre. Now even if you just glance at the genre you'll see Fruits Basket is one of the most popular shoujo anime ever and for good reason. Is cute X3. Tohru is the most adorable polite young lady, the Sohma family are cute zodaic animals, also Akitaro Daichi has this magical power to frame a show so I want to smile and cry at the same time. Now while Fruits Basket is cute that is about it. Fruits Basket 1st Season improves on the show completely. The story is a one for one adaptation, the animation is much better, and the OST is just so pretty. Just feels like the version of Fruits Basket I'd recommend people watch as it captures the series perfectly with an extra layer of polish and care.

oZEROo's avatar
Oct 12, 2019

I am so happy that this got a remake! I enjoyed the original, but this offered so much more! The animation was gorgeous and the soundtrack was beautiful. I love the characters so much! This show really knows how to break your heart and then mend it back together! One thing I am really excited about is the 2nd season! We are finally getting a continuation! I have not read the manga (*gasp*) and therefore I do not know what happens after the 1st season. I am so excited because now I'll get to see how it ends (although I spoiled myself about the ending)! I really loved this and can not wait for the 2nd season!

Symka's avatar
Oct 10, 2019

I couldn't recommend this enough.

I usually don't like when people redo an anime, but as soon as this remake was announced I was SO excited for it.

Another chance to see Tohru, Kyo and Yuki? With revamped animation? In a show that actually follows the manga? I was here for it. I'm still here for it.

There isn't much I can say regarding the story in this review that I didn't already cover in the manga review; however,  the pacing, emotions, and character development were all so incredibly well balanced and well done in this anime compared to the 2001 version, that it honestly feels like an entirely different show. The characters were treated with so much more justice ((No changing of silly things like Tohru's eye color, or Kyo's bracelet color and story origins).And the secondary characters like Kaguya had much more life put into them as something other than just a gag type character.

The soundtrack was wonderful, bittersweet and moving, and the voice acting was perfect. I especially loved the Japanese voice actors take on Kyo.

While the opening song was no longer the iconic one from the earlier version, the new one was still a beautiful sequence and a wonderful start-up to the over all feel of the show. I'm definitely looking forwards to Season 2, and hoping for many more seasons to follow!

tldr: Honestly not much more I could say that I haven't said already (In manga review) other than: Watch it, watch it, watch it!

PushingZedzzzzz's avatar
Sep 29, 2019

I love this anime, I didn't think I would, but it's hard not to fall in love with it.

It's extremely hard to find fault with it. If I had to, at a push, I would say there were 1 or 2 eps that didn't hit the spot quite as much as the rest, but I still enjoyed them, so i can't really call it a fault.

Definitely addictive, leaves you wanting more. Can't wait for season 2, but it's not out until next year (I MISS IT ALREADY! 😭). This is a feel Good Anime (even though there are some sad scenes). WELL WORTH A WATCH!!!

(I'VE TRIED TO AVOID  ANY SPOILERS, I DONT THINK THERE ARE ANY BUT I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE IF I'M MISTAKEN)

So here is my rough take on this amazing anime, in a nutshell...

• STORY & CHARACTERS...

- It's a great story and stays true to the original (I've not completed the original, but from what I have seen of the earlier version & manga, I'd say that, so far it stays true)

# MAIN CHARACTER'S (MC) - ROLE IN THE STORY

FEMALE MC

A teenage girl who's recent circumstances force her to have to deal with adult problems & hardships on her own. She is trying to remain cheerful & optimisticthe dispite having just lost her Mother, the only member of her family that truly cared for her.

MALE MC's

A disfunctional group of male family members, who are members of the main zodiac family branch and are living together in order to distance themselves from the other zodiac members. All carry the burden of keeping the secrets of the zodiac family, each one has their own individual tragic past which plagues them.

SUPPORTING CHARACTERS

There are lots of supporting characters, most of which are well fleshed out for side characters. Most supporting characters hold an important role in the story and most make regular a appearance.

# GENERAL UNDERLYING (STORY/CHARACTERS) - What I think the moral to the story is, so far...

Crossing paths & becoming friends, leads them to change and see things differently. Challenging adversity and acknowledging and accepting themselves and each other.

Story demonstrates a combination of happy & sad circumstances. It shows the importance of trust, loyalty in friendships, love & romance (This is a reverse harem), as well as platonic love, acceptance & hope in order to start their journeys to overcome past and present discrimination, oppression, stereotyping, bullying, greif, loss, heartbreak, self loathing, hardship and loneliness. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, having hopes for a happier future.

With the girl taking centre stage and holding it all together, and the boys internal struggle to find the courage to love themselves enough to understand & accept that they too deserve to be loved. Dealing with falling in love & overwhelming jealousy -  not knowing how to deal with their feelings.

# SUMMARY KEY POINTS

- Characters are well fleshed out & are easy to distinguish between, both in looks and in personality.

- Both character's & the relationships between characters are developed well.

- Attractive Characters (BISHIE). Easy on the eyes.

- It's easy to identify with the emotions of the characters. It's also the type of anime that makes you want to start building "SHIPS" for MC early on! lol, but you might end up wanting to build more than one SHIP for her! It's a rollercoaster!

(Btw, for people who don't understand the term "SHIP" (because I didn't at first) it's a term used by fans (mostly for manga/webtoons etc,) and it's short slang for (romantic) RelationSHIPs. So if you see someone say "I SHIP IT" it means they want the characters to be together). I know most of you are aware of this but some people might not be aware.

Anyway, moving on...lol

- This is an anime that will leave you feeling good (even though it has some really sad scenes)

**Warning**There are scenes that will turn you into an Emotional Wreck!

All I can say is...Prepare to cry! Have tissues at the ready! (You will need them!).

• ANIMATION

- Animation is fab! It's done very well and it's consistently high quality.

- The original Fruit Baskets was really good when it was made, but the 2019 version is top notch!

- Characters are pretty and & very appealing (It's a Bishie feast lol)

- The overall animation is super! Very aesthetically pleasing.

• SOUND & VA

- Japanese Voice Actors do a fab job (Sub is best). Voices really suite the characters. I didn't like the English VA in the Dub.

-  They soundtrack is amazing! It fits the anime perfectly!

# SUBBED OR DUBBED??? It's personal preference... But IMO...

Fruit Baskets (2019) is Sooooo much better watched in Japanese with English Subs. I didn't like the Dub at all. I'm not saying this because I'm against Dubbed anime (I even watch One Piece Dubbed 🤫 because I can't stand the Japanese VA in the sub Version). I admit that I do tend to prefer Subbed over Dubbed anime on the whole though.

So there you have it. Fruit Baskets, it's better Subbed Imo.

• OVERALL

A superb remake! A must watch! Hope my review helped! X

brxkenhearts's avatar
Sep 23, 2019

I'm not exaggerating when I say this anime was an obvious 10/10! Everything about it was remarkable! It bought tears to my eyes especially when the 1st season ended! The characters are each unique and I can just feel the story just starting! It is a must-watch and as for the manga, I would say the same!

moonchild15's avatar
Sep 22, 2019

(spoiler free review)

i absolutely loved this remake. it was as good as the original and was so heartwarming, of course its expected from a good shoujo and thats why i love it. its also so wholesome and family friendly. i also loved the first intro song and 2nd ending song

Pandicorn95's avatar
Sep 22, 2019

Everything about this is amazing! The storyline follows the manga extremely well. It is definitely one of my all time favorite animes. It's one you can watch over and over yet still enjoy it. I cannot wait for season 2, I'm excited to finally see more of the story come to life. I truly hope they keep it going and make the entire manga into an anime. It's truly an amazing story and coming from me that says a lot I think. I am very picky and don't like most animes, but this one is pretty amazing.

Gozza's avatar
Sep 21, 2019

It really reminded me of those 80s soap operas that my mother used to watch, like The Bold and the Beautiful or Santa Barbara. I guess the Kardashians would be a modern version of those shows. A lot of eccentric characters, doing eccentric things and overdramatizing literally every interaction.

Nobody likes each other, everybody is trying to keep secrets and they're all trying to rely on the main character for support. Basically, most of the cast members are negative people who really enjoy negative things and you have 1 girl who is too good for all of them and she's already stumbling through life herself but everybody wants her attention.

GothicOtaku's avatar
Sep 21, 2019

Let me start off by saying that I was so excited when they announced a reboot I cried. I loved the original, but I felt it left you desiring more and after reading the manga I realised they HAD to remake it in order to appease us adoring fans of the manga.

I absolutely adore the art style they used, keeping with the original art style of the manga itself and the fact they reused a lot of the original voice actors for the English dubbed version. That in itself is a blessing as I was so worried they would use all new actors and I thought the original voice actors did a pretty good job of portraying the characters personalities to a T.

Now then, the next thing to talk about is the opening and ending music. I will admit that my favourite opening had to be the second one. It was so damn catchy I ended up using it to keep my nerves calm during an MRI scan last week and it did the trick. The song makes me want to sing and dance along to it as it's so bubbly, light and full of warmth. Just like Tohru.

SPOILER BELOW ALERT

*********

Finally, I have to admit that the second to last episode - Kyo's true form reveal - left me crying. They were both happy and sad tears. I also loved how much affection there was between Kyo and Tohru after he pulled her in for a hug. I'm not sure, but I think he kissed her hair. At least, that was what it looked like to me and GOD DID IT MAKE MY HEART SWELL AND MY TEARS RUN AGAIN! <3

Overall, I CANNOT WAIT FOR SEASON TWO! Especially as this part of the story has not been adapted before and I am so excited to see how well they keep to the manga. I have a sneaky feeling it will be released in April just as season one was this year. Fingers crossed I guess.

KirariChan's avatar
Sep 21, 2019

I’m so in love with the remake! I can grasp the story much better than I did the original and feel all the characters become more alive. The second season is too far away!!!!

Sailnir's avatar
Jul 16, 2019

If you have been looking for a wonderful casual anime to watch look no further. The story is enough to keep one entertained and sweet enough to allow one to simply relax. It has its ups and downs and you can enjoy the whole story as a result.

The animation is georgeous. Extremely detailed and fun. It really pops! I would compare it to many of the best animated shows out there because it often comes close.

The music is calm and totally fitting to the show.

The characters are really where this show shines. Every character is treated in such an astoundingly human way with just a little over the top flair but not too much. It makes the show truly immersive. You can relate and get to know each of the characters in a deep way, their happiness, their saddness and why they act the way they do. They really are the best part of the show.

Pros: Fun story, great animation, fun sounds, amazing characters, totally clean and wholesome

Cons: If you are looking for something intense go try something else. This is only meant for those who truly enjoy relaxing and it is one of the best ways to relax.

4RootPunch's avatar
Jul 12, 2019

It brings back so much nostalgia from when I read the manga, and I love all the characters so much. I really like the change in art style too!

ZoologyKaM's avatar
Jul 9, 2019

This is a faithful to manga remake, and whether you've seen the orignal anime or read read the manga, or have no experience with the series at all, this is worth the watch.

Characters are well built and you'll quickly find a favorite, though some definitely have some quirks about them. The series is really deep and full of secrets which only get hinted at within the first season. We're back for the long haul and this anime is going until the manga is covered in it's entirety. I CAN'T WAIT!!

aeab32's avatar
Jun 29, 2019

Im only at episode 12.

This anime is so similar to the previous Fruits Basket, so if you liked that you are sure to like this updated one.

The story follows the same theme of a young homeless optimistic girl and her journeys through difficult times and the friendships she forms.

Characters are well rounded with flaws and all.