Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club

Add review
4nime4ddict's avatar
Sep 20, 2014

This anime is great for various reasons, although by a lot of people it is referred to as 'fanservice' I actually think it has a good plot and even better characters. The story told is of a young boy name Haru, who has an exquisite passion for swimming and water. His friends and hisself begin a swim club, and enter in various contests. Along the way they meet an old teammate, and this opens a whole can of worms which is explored within the 12 episodes of this anime.

The story, although very good at times, isn't perfect and it isn't the greatest. I enjoyed it a lot, however I feel like it was missing something. It is paced over 12 episodes and it does seem a bit rushed but it is still told very well.

The animation scored ten simply because it is beautiful. As it is a water-based anime, the animation needed to be perfect for it to be pulled off well. And believe me they managed it. Every single drop of water is so flawlessly made, it just makes you more attached to the series. Also, for the ladies there is a LOT of eye candy, with perfectly sculpted muscles in every episode you won't be able to resist.

The sound was good but nothing amazing or memorable. The opening theme at first is quite dull and not exciting, but after two or three episodes it grows on you and can become quite catchy. The voices are so greatly chosen for each character.

Characters are immense. They are gorgeous to look at and so great to listen to, however especially in Makoto's case their past is pushed to the side and it would be very enjoyable to learn more about each character.

All in all, I loved this anime. I would recommend it to anyone who likes sports, comedy or just some slice of life.

UnicornExecutions's avatar
Sep 6, 2014

Yeah I watch sports

Sorry but there is just no way I can not make fun of this

it is utterly and completely a Fanservice for girls

The plot is pretty lame

Why girls would watch

• FANSERVICE( guys in skin tight bathing suits)
  • pretty much a yaoi ( they pratically show no interest in girls)

Side note:

I saw a pic that actaully describes this anime( couldn't find it tho :*-(   )

Haru-h2o Sexual

Rin- Gay for Haru

Makota-Maybe staight but mostly likely gay for haru

Nagaisa- mostly likely Gay for Rei

Rei- Book sexual

Why guy would watch

• casue your sister or girlfriend forced you too
  • you like swimming

Unicorn out~

TallyCrow's avatar
Mar 6, 2014

(My opinion everyone)

This being the first ever sport related anime I watched, I was thinking the worst...

I really shouldn’t have as I enjoyed all of it, though it was hard to get into it at first.

The storyline is nothing I've ever watched before and was almost perfect in my eyes. At times I just wanted something magical to happen but of course this isn’t my normal magical shows (haha).

The Animation and sound were perfect and amazing.

The characters were unique as each character had something different and strange about them. They were also strong in different ways as they clearly are all strong/ish in strength as they SWIM but I mean some are strong in the fact they can cope well with hard situations. Then there’s the point that all of the guys are pretty god damn hot!

Overall I really enjoyed this anime and can't wait till I watch the second season.

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
Ashlex's avatar
Jul 5, 2013

Anime: Free!

Story: Well I love the story contrary to popular belief there is plot line. This anime revolves not only revolves around the boys friendship issues but as well as actual issues the group faces trying to start a club and get members which some highschoolers can relate to. This anime also carries lots of comic relief and Im sure that most girls were pleased to have an anime that does revolve around alot of manservice and for boys who are annoyed by that... just stop I mean look at the girls in almost every anime and how much fan service there is just give the girls this one :D. It is actually though a funny and interesting anime to watch for everyone.

Animation: So, the animation itself was about average and pretty typical. The characters all have a unique look and it was very easy to find high quality versions of this episode on many free viewing anime websites, as well as tumblr. The colours in this anime and the aimation style flowed very well together and the theme songs included all the main characters.

Sound: The sound quality was good and the theme songs were really awesome! The beggining and ending theme songs were catchy and worked really well with the animation. The characters had appealing voices and yes I watched it subbed. The voices suited the characters in my opinion.

Characters: Where do I start? So the focus of this anime is on 5 boys. 4 of which were introduced in the first episode.  From closest to furthest you have : Haruka Nanase, Makoto Tachibana, Rin Matsuoka, Nagisa Hazuki, Rei Ryugasaki. Haruka is the typical boy of few words, the anime appears to focus on him more so than the others. Makoto is the friendly and calm type who is very nice but tends to talk to his friends more so than others. Rin is the more exotic character that studied abroad and is pretty lively. He actually has qualities of both a friend and enemy at points and appears to be crucial to the plot. Nagisa is the fourth boy introduced in the first episode. He is a year younger than the others and plays the very energetic, chibi, cute, little brother type that is adorable. Rei is a very smart, stubborn boy who calculates everything and actually develops an admiration for Haruka since he can swim so freely and really enjoys what he does without thinking. Rei also shows some admiration for Nagisa as he is his classmate and the one who actually convinced him to join the swim club. There is one girl named Gou/Kou (Kou is a nickname she prefers to her real name) who becomes the club manager. She is Rin's sister and wants Rin to go back to his cheery self that he was when he was younger she believes that the main characters can do this since they were all best friends in middle school. All of the boys seem to have their own typical anime qualities that can entice wider variaties of viewers since it appeals to more personal favourites.

Free! Main Characters

Overall I scored this anime an 9(not gonna lie  partly scored high because this anime is super funny and was made to appeal to girls) and am personally excited to watch future episodes!

Starblossom8's avatar
Jul 1, 2015

"The show will make you cry, laugh, hate and love. It's one of those shows.

Why I LOVED it:

This is one of those shows where you will love to hate the villain and vice verso. The show starts with 4 cute little innocent kids before they graduate elementary school. They race together in a swimming tournament, before taking their own path. However, the story gets dipper and dipper as we continue. Over time, we learn that Rin changed the most. The cute friendly kid turned into a competitive, obsessed and lonely adult. Haru seems to stay the same, except we learn that he really missed the club, the competitions, and the teamwork. He starts showing more emotion, and we learn that he doesn't care about winning or losing, but the races with Rin, seem to have more on his mind that he is sharing.

The funny and cheerfuller characters seem to be Gou/Kou, Nagisa, Rei, and Makoto. Kou seems to be the funniest one, since she is always helping the club *and herself* with her obsession for hot guys and their muscles. Nagisa is always obsessing over "Haru-chan" and his swimming. Rei is athletic and uses physics and math to achieve beauty. He tries doing the same with swimming, but it doesn't work well most of the time. Makoto seems to be the one who can have a great time but can also be serious. He has a story of his own to tell, which Haru, Rin and himself were involved in.

The music was pretty good. I honestly hated one thing about this anime. The shortness of it. I need more. I am happy that season 2 is coming and I hope it will be longer than the first.

The Plot:

Nagisa, Haru, Makoto and Rin are cute innocent kids that race in a swimming tournament before elementary school graduation. They win and cheer and then they part their ways. The next year Haru meets Rin, who has changed since his move to Australia. Rin challenges Haruka to a race and he loses, he decides to quit swimming. Now, three years later Haru, Makoto and Nagisa are going to high school together. After going into the old part of the school, they encounter Rin, when he challenges Haru once again. However, they don't race because the old pool doesn't have any water. Rin goes away.

The three of them start a new swimming club, which also included the school secretary, Rin's sister Gou and the new recruit Rei. They decide to swim at the local tournament and Rin happens to be there. Rin comes in first in the 100m free race and beats Haruka. Haru doesn't take this too well, not letting us know why. They do a relay and they move onto the national tournament.

They have their own 'summer camp', where they survive dangerous waves, shared stories and get some good memories. Gou also gets closer to her brother on this trip. At the national tournament, they have a fight, an emotional exchange, and a bit of teamwork."

Stolen from IMBD user Vuk Visnjic (craftwolfp)