Free! Eternal Summer

Add review
duchessliz's avatar
Apr 29, 2015

The Iwatobi Swim Club returns! As their third year begins, Haruka, Makoto and Rin are still swimming strong, but choosing plans for their futures loom, and as friends both new and old make their way into the picture, rivalries will take root once again. Will the team make it out stronger than before or sink under pressure?

The bishies return! *wipes up drool* xD Have I mentioned lately how much I love bishie anime ... it brings out the fangirl in me! ;) This second installment of the series was arguably better than the first ... I say arguably because some may disagree but in this season we actually saw Haru show a human side to himself *le gasp* as opposed to the emotionless mask he always wears ... I liked that finally Haru got some character development ... it was long overdue truth be told. Actually what I appreciated the most about this season is that all the boys had character development ... even though much of it was wrapped in drama ... I may not typically like drama ... but in this case I was okay with it as I felt it was necessary.

The animation was gorgeous, as always ... no real surprise there ... I also loved the soundtrack, it was catchy and very addictive. They also did a great job with the plot in adding more drama and, well, more of an actual plot than last season ... -_-'

Overall, I was very impressed with the sequel and hope they do another season sometime soon ... I mean with that ending ... it'd be a great third season to see how that came about! Plus, I love me my bishies and the Free boys are some great eye candy! xD

Theboundwoman's avatar
Oct 30, 2015

*Small Spoilers and Opinions Ahead*

============First Impressions============

Free first blipped up on my radar when that super special secret trailer popped up and we were all

'OMG the animation’ , ‘OMG HAWT ANIME BOYS!’ , ‘IF THIS DOSENT GET MADE ILL KILL MYSELF’ and the accompanying round of ‘HA! GAYYYYYY’ and ‘WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?? FANSERVICE FOR SOMETHING OTHER THAN STRAIGH BOI??? RAGGGGGEEEEE’

I was interested but thinking it would be a reverse harem anime (because everyone knows a bunch of guys can’t have an anime to themselves unless it’s about SPORTS, fighting to the death or trying to all bang the one bland Mary sue character) I just shrugged it off. I enjoyed Big Windup and Kuroko's Basketball well enough so I figured if it was sports heavy I’d get to it at some point.

Fast forward and the first episode came up, I was going to put it on my ‘would like to watch list’ but seeing the comments made me want to watch immediately!

free gif 3

‘Umm Where is the girl?’ ‘Is this gay?’ ‘I swear if this is BL I will kill someone!’ ‘Wow even if this is sports it’s way too fan servicey for a guy to watch’.
Seriously I don’t understand what ‘too much’ fan service they were talking about, they are swimmers so they have fit bodies. If you seriously get uncomfortable with guys taking off their clothes to swim …you need to examine yourself because that’s not normal.

Watching the first episode I was in love, I continued watching enjoying the very slice of life feel, the stunning animation and the characters. I was a bit apprehensive when Goh showed up, but when no googoo eyes ensued from any of the main guys or her I was really impressed. Goh was an awesome support character, she was strong and motivated and didn’t need a romance plot line to exist!

==========Character Break Down=========

Main Characters

haru
Haruka Nanase

Haru at first glance is the classic stoic character unemotional, deep thinker has a weird thing for water. But going on through the series he is so much more, he has depth of character that is rare to see in what people assume this anime to be.

His character is defiantly about subtly and if you need things spelled out for you plainly you may just write him of as a selfish and unmotivated ass.

What I like:

The facial expressions unique to Haru crack me up, his odd quirks for food and swimming gear also amuse me. As stated above you have to watch him to notice the depth to him subtle looks, touches the way his eyes change with his moods.

There is so much going on inside as he fights so hard to contain the storm of problems swirling in his mind…stop over thinking everything Haru…It doesn’t help trust me. This is defiantly a coming of age story and Haru is the vocal point for most of the fears we have about our future and I think it’s done well.

What I don’t like: I don’t really have any, I don’t think at any point I was annoyed by his character.

My Character rating: 8/10 He is my second favourite of the whole series.

Makoto

Makoto Tachibana

Makoto is the kind caring upbeat character. He is Harus best friend and they have known each other almost all their lives, he’s unique in the fact he can normally see through Harus blank exterior, he speaks for and organizes things for Haru he is also Harus babysitter and the two are rarely seen apart.
Like Haru he has some interesting fears and quirks.

What I like:

Um wow. That’s a dangerous subject. Makoto at first glance is seen as the angel character but carrying on the series its show he can be selfish, Manipulative and stern. He is very grown up and acts like a parent to the group. I absolutely love that this tall and physically strong guy is terrified of the dark and scary things.

Seeing him hiding behind the small and bored looking Haruka makes me smile.

His fear of the ocean also has really interesting origins, if you read the light novel that inspired free you learn that Haru almost drowned on him, coupled with the death of a fisherman Makoto had befriended and the untimely death of his pet gold fish it just piles into massive emotional trauma but Makoto faces it because the desire to swim with his friends is stronger.

What I like: His face! Makotos facial expressions get me every time, his eyes and smile.

What I don’t like: N/A

My Character rating: 10/10 He is my favourite!!!

Nagisa

Nagisa Hazuki

Child hood friend of Makoto and Haru he defiantly the cutesy character if you had to classify him. Small, cute, hyper, loves to eat, a little dense and sulky. But as we have learned there is so much more to the characters of Free!

What I like:

Nagisas crazy plans are just the best, he’s pushy but not in a bad way, without him I don’t think much of the fun things that happen in their daily lives would be possible. He doesn’t get as fleshed out as some other characters but it’s enough to know what he is struggling with.

What I don’t like:

Look I have absolutely zero to say negatively about the Japanese voiced Nagisa.

My Character rating: 6/10 Not my favourite but a solid character.

Rei
Rei Ryuugazaki

Some would say the comedy comes from Nagisa but I’d have to say Rei is the comic relief the giant dork is almost too precious for words, he has a high IQ but is so super awkward and sincere you have to respect.

What I like:

Rei’s kind of a train wreck, he comes off at first as the super serious glasses character but soon that all falls away to show the fabulous dork beneath.
Coupled with Rei’s give 100% in everything, his naïve and sincere nature just slays me.

What I don’t like:

I know we are beginning to see a trend here….

My Character rating: 8/10 Rei is for sure on the favourites list.

Gou/Kou

Gou/ Kou Matsuoka.

The coach of the swim team and Rin Matsuokas little sister. She’s a strong and feisty character and she would have to be to put up with the boys. She’s intelligent and most of the time has to play the bad guy in regards to training.

What I like:

She is her own person, I really liked that she didn’t have to be a romantic interest to her team to be included. She has a muscle fetish but she’s interested in the muscles, not the personality attached to them. Even when some other side characters show romantic interest towards her she either doesn’t notice or doesn’t acknowledge it.

What I don’t like:

*Laughs sheepishly* and wanders away.

My Character rating: 4/10 she’s cool but forgettable.

Rin
Rin Matsuoka.

*Hides behind a force field*

Rin is a bipedal shark person…I kid. He’s very all over the place kind of character you may love, hate or have just so many mixed feelings for you won’t know what to do. When you first meet him you may just think ‘wow douche’ but then the cracks in the Rin statue of douche start to show. The first season of free is very much about Rin and how he finds himself and his passion again.

What I like:

His teeth, his sass how much of a giant softie he is, seriously you think you know a guy then boom sad shark crying.

What I don’t like:

Another case of Dub hate I think? Most of my issues with Rin were non-existent before I started to explore everything free…I think these issues have only come about due to the fandom and not the canon character that is Rin.

Sous

Sousuke Yamazaki

Oh Soso how you rocked the world of Free! At first, you may be all ‘who is this creepy stalker? Gtfo away from Haru’ but Sousuke is not a creepy stalker more like an over protective friend. He dose step out of line a few times but He’s had his dream torn away and now he has become the fierce guard dog of his friend’s future.

What I like:

It’s dark Makoto~ lol jk He another good character adds just enough tragedy to the second season and he is determined to help Rin is just inspiring.

What I don’t like:

I can hear you yelling WHY DID YOU EVEN ADD THIS PART IF YOU GOT NOTHING?!?!?

My Character rating: 6/10 Interesting and a nice addition to the group.

Aiichirou Nitori

The notice me senpai character. First season he is just a duckling following Rin around like he is his mummy, second season he’s determined to join the big boys.

What I like: *I got nothing*.

What I don’t like:
 I don’t like his character design, Japanese voice or his personality I think he’s just bland.

My Character rating: 3/10 I don’t hate him, just doesn’t match up to the other great characters.

MOMO
Momotarou "Momo" Mikoshiba

This dork is just perfect. Adorable, fun, goofy and cool all at the same time.

What I like:

PYYYYUUUUUNSSSSUUUKKKEEE! He has an interesting hobby, he is light and fun but also talented. He and his brother are just precious together!

Nitori

My Character rating: 7/10

Side Character rating.

7/10 They are substantial for what they are, they are loved by the fandom for the most part and are very likeable.

==============Thoughts=================

Free did something I have never seen and I am desperate for more anime like this. Give me anime with mainly guy characters, no female love interests. I don’t need it to be BL I just want what free gave me a story following just guy main characters!

=============Is this for me===============

the gang

So you heard Free was BL or just for girls huh?
I think that's wrong.

Despite what the champion mouth breathers may have you believe with their, contrived and repetitive reviews of ‘These characters are bland, this is fan service for girls and gay guys, nothing of substance to be found shtick…Excuse me …So you watched something you know you’d hate…So you could write a 15-page diatribe about how girls are shallow and vain creatures who don’t have the brain power to enjoy such masterpieces as Yuri Kuma Arashi???

I don’t understand…and let’s not forget the girls, who add fuel to the fire with their reviews of ‘Lolz I only watched for hot dudes!’ Ugh.

Look it’s just like any other anime it comes down to you see what you see. If you want to see friends you see friends. There is no kissing or confessions of romantic love. They are shirtless a lot but you don’t wear clothes swimming, also they have realistic swimming bodies.

Fanservice pandering moment are few but it’s either done so extreme you will shake your head or so comically you’ll laugh.

It is an anime that will make you rage, cry, smile and laugh. It is really for people who can pay attention to subtle things if you don’t have the attention span or the interest. Probably best to skip it or try Free 50% off abridged series.

If you’re avoiding it cause you don’t want people to judge you …what’s wrong with you? If your interest is peaked watch it, don’t like just drop it. If you have someone who is going to give you a hard time for it then why are you giving them the time of day?
You watch anime people judge you all the time…why would you care if it makes you happy?

===============Overall score=============

8/10

Sub or Dub? : SUB no DO NOT even try it! Just pretend the odd second season dub of free doesn’t exist! For a company happy to fly rainbow colours and even consider dubbing Sekai ichi no hatsukoi they sure had to turn it into the most bro thing that ever bro’d…dude , man , bruh. REEEEEENNN.

Yes they pronounce Rins name as Reeeen it’s just bizarre. I’m ok with most of the English voice cast but I disliked the voice choice for Rin…I mean Reeen, Haru is also ill-fitting. Nitoris voice got better. J Michael Tatum as Rei is..perfection. Greg I know you getting up there in age. But damn you made Nagisas voice painful to listen to..it’s like you screeched the whole time.

Series like this? For series with mainly guys try Devils and Realist, Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East, Karneval or 07-Ghost

================BONUS================

If for whatever reason you haven’t checked the below YouTube channels for amazing Free dub and abridged series see below.

And

================ Thank you =============

I loved this season. I really liked this show from jump, but this season is definitely the highlight. It had a better plotline, more side characters, and a truckload of feels. I hope they do a season 3 because this season was great.

Story: So the drama between Rin and Haru is gone now opening up that friendship and taking out the jealousy aspect between the two. They are still on rival teams, and this season we get to know both of the relay teams which is great. Also, some of the cast is going off to college in the next year giving this season a lot more meaning. As the show progressed, I just fell more and more in love with these characters and by the end I was almost crying. It was awesome.

Animation: Gorgeous as always. The characters are beautifully drawn, the landscapes and action sequences are on point and I just adored watching this in HD.

Sound: Both the opening and ending themes were great. I loved them but last seasons ending theme is like my favorite thing so it still wins out. The OST music was placed perfectly as well. The voice actors were amazing. Haru opened up more this season as well and I just love Rin's VA. The feeling behind the characters were so there. I just loved it.

Characters: We get to reconnect with our main 5 characters in this season, and we are also introduced to 3 new characters. Each one has a story and depth behind them making the characters the best part of the show. I adore Rei and I'm glad he got more air time this season. I also love the dynamic between all the main characters this season as well especially Rin and Haru. There's a lot to admire here.

Overall, I'm sad to be done already because I just wanted more. This season was everything and the last episode and ending screen made for an outstanding finale. It brought out all my nostalgia from being on a competitive team all throughout elementary to high school which is why I stuck with it in the first place. I'm happy I did.

8.5/10 Watched Subbed.

elements1458's avatar
Mar 16, 2015

So overall I LOVED the series, both Iwatobi Swim Club and Eternal Summer. The music was great, the story line was awesome, and you got to see the love and friendship between the characters. There were times where I wanted to just jump into the show and strangle some of the charaters (such as Rin during the first season and Sasuke during this season) but in the end, I loved every single character there was. I literally cried some at the very end, not only for the fact that it was over, but also for the bright futures I could see all of them having. Overall. Free! Iwatobi Swim Club AND Free! Eternal Summer are animes I will recomend to everyone, including you (who ever you may be). If you haven't done so already, go back and watch season 1 (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club).

9.5/10 characters
9.8/10 overall
ChimChimFruit's avatar
Aug 5, 2018

My god this anime made me cry so hard and rethink my whole life. I expected another happy story with rin and the boys but i was so wrong they change everything beautifully! They stepped up the game with the 3d and 2d animation blending and o h  m   y   gooood. The story it's so heart warming. When they cried I cried.  They added twists I didn't even think would happen. They blossumed the story into the unimaginable. This anime is now really close to my heart.. <3 If you watched the first free this one will change your look on the story 99%. Minus the 1% cause i am a big senstive crybaby who crys over everything, so I am already extra. But 100% recommend this anime if you want the feels to run you over with a truck then throw you off a cliff. Only thing that shot me down was the australian voices and the rough edge each one of them had kinda threw off the mood alot me.  ..Overall I am head-over-heels for this anime..

6.5/10 sound