Fox Spirit Matchmaker - Reviews

Alt title: Huyao Xiao Hongniang

dineshnaiduvijayan's avatar
Aug 22, 2017

This is my first review. I decided to do this since there is no review yet for this anime.

The story starts of slow initialy but as the story progress, i felt the should make each episode longer.

Each episode is somewhat 15-20mins long including prologue, opening credit and end credit. Thus, the content will be only 10 mins.

Now, for the story. This story revolves around two MCs, Yuechu Bai and Tushan Susu. Susu is a fox spirit and as a fox spirit, her job is to matchmake couples from previous life(love between human and demon). Susu and Bai (both MCs) are a couple from previous life and regarded as legends in their spiritual power. So there are people who wants to unite them and some, who wants to seperate them.

Gist of the story. Will this couples find true love while matchmaking other couples?

Fans who like romantic comedy with bit action should give this anime a try. This anime tries to please all genre fans by having abit of all the content except ecchi i guess. The side character's ( previous-life couples) story is quite nice and romantic. For the MCs, their progress is somewhat slow.

Sorry for the grammers and spellings. This is my opinion on this anime.

ZoologyKaM's avatar
Jan 16, 2018

Hnnng... What to say. I enjoyed it but also had a lot of problems with this anime.

Pro: Good animation and character design. Also had very heartfelt stories. I enjoyed the main characters and their quirks, and was excited to know their full story. I also enjoyed the side stories for the other 3 hooked up couples.
Con: I was expecting more romance restorations. It seemed like it spent too much time on the failure to hook up the main characters, than it did on the ACTUAL FRIGGEN TITLE OF MATCHMAKING! I mean come on... 24 episodes and only 3 hooked up couples?

I was expecting the main characters to slowly rebuild their own relationship and regain their lost memories during the process of working together to help the other couples. Instead, we got one couple hooked up, and then a long progression of figuring out what the backstory for the main characters was, in no particular order.

I also had an issue with the way the episodes were spliced together.
In the original chinese, the episodes are a different length to the ones in japanese. Several times, the exact same 5 seconds of frame were shown repeatedly, in order to add a few seconds of frame time to the episode, in order to make it the right length. Another time, we spent half an episode rewatching a shortened version of EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED IN THE PREVIOUS EPISODE. I understand having recaps, but this series isn't long enough for more than a 20 second recap, and it definitely shouldn't have replayed one episode shortened to half an episode.

If possible I'd recomend going to watch the original chinese. That's what I plan to do at some point. Even 4Kids doesn't edit their dubs this badly.