Forest of Piano 2nd Season - Reviews

Alt title: Piano no Mori 2nd Season

AnimeZingKing32's avatar
Oct 1, 2019

I really liked the first season of this, season two, on the other hand, was not done as well. The animation aspect of it was its biggest downfall. The music was spectacular as always (especially Kai's "Heroic op.53" performance) but I honestly had to watch most of it with my eyes closed. I think more time should have been invested into season two's animations because goddammit it's terrible. The ending of the anime was concluded really well though. So don't worry, it's definitely still worth the watch (just beware from going blind).

Knarf's avatar
Jun 29, 2019

The second season of The Piano Forest is best watched with your eyes closed.

yellowhikari's avatar
Feb 18, 2021

Ok so the review i wrote of the first season is applicable to this one too. However, i think the first season was better in terms of enjoyment, since this one got just a bit boring at one point and more diverse things happened in the first one. BUT i have to say the events in this season are more impactful and the story got really emotional for me at many points (and i don't really get emotional at stuff on TV too). The new characters were lovable and unique, their stories developed. I loved the ending and i really didn't expect it. The music of course was AWESOME and the performances were AHH so good.

I really think you should give this anime a chance, it really got a special place in my heart for some reason.

9.5/10 characters
DGFischer's avatar
May 28, 2022

One would think that a second season would build on the work of the first season.  In some respect to top it, surpass it.  That I didn't see in Forest of Piano 2.  It was as if Gaina did not have the resources it had for season one.  Not the dynamic simulations of hands doing runs up and down keyboard.  Season two relied on static animation of pianists in thought as etudes and concerti play on.  Really thin in comparison to the vastly larger corpus of musical works leading up and into the Chopin Competition.

Really, all that season two did was work through all three rounds leading to the selection of the best pianist in the world.  And it did it with a logical obviousness.  Guess who wins.  It's close to 'no brainer.'  And there is a poverty of music in this final season.  Chopin only composed two concerti that the final six contestants could use.  The highly demanding first.  The less technical but positively sweet second.  In the end, snatch offerings of the first concerto repeat tediously.

Character development was big in Forest of Piano 2, but other than Kai and Shuhei, no one has a dominant, intriguing backstory.  The hope of the Chinese syndicate Wei Peng.  The motherly Allegra Granados.  The hope of Poland Lech Szymanowski.  The only gripping matter is the friendship of Kai and Shuhei when Shuhei fails to advance.  The rigors of intense practice (Shuhei) have an axe to grind with latent talent (Kai).

Again, the musical selections bordered on slim pickin's.  It was almost an 'anything you can play, I can play better.'  And the effervescent animation of pianists in concert gives the feeling that the one who produces the most bubbles wins.  Sure, this was symbolic of the effect of music on the listener, and Kai always strove to reach the audience with higher levels of skill.  But overdone is overdone.

In short, whatever excitement and enthusiasm one could gain from season one would quickly notice that such was not there in season two.  Good character studies.  Decent music.  But it really rocked in season one, knocked in season two.

8.3/10 overall