Flavors of Youth - Reviews

Alt title: Shikioriori

ksensei's avatar
Aug 6, 2018

Flavors of youth tells three different stories of youth set in different cities of China and the film takes you on three contemplative and fascinating stories around past and lost youth.
The animation/art is really good and I really liked the chinese vibes of the story. BUT I wonder if there is any better topic of choice besides modeling and fashion when it comes to stories about women. This is why my favorite story is the first one. It's the shortest, yet the most fascinating. some simple things bring to many people so much joy, it keeps you happy and humble just watching.
BUT from CoMix Wave Films (Your name, 5 centimeters per seconds, The garden of words) collaboration with Netflix, I was expecting much more. The three stories don't connect, there are 3 short films, and meanwhile their author/maker are very talented, I can't help wonder and now what?

Thanks for reading, follow me for more!

Jaylceus's avatar
Oct 21, 2019

(SPOILER) It was a good watch for me.

I really liked the first story where it was very relaxing that it made me hungry. I like how it was a simple story not too dramatic 'cause  The story is about a boy having nostalgia while eating the noodles, I think it was the second, if I would rate it out of all the three stories in this movie.

The second story was about siblings having problems and it was good, but it did not had quite the effect on me but the story and the lines of the characters was good. It would be the last story I liked out of all the three.

The last one was really good the story was amazing, I loved how they communicate through video tapes (I'm not sure if that's what you call it) it was really amazing, like if only I could experience those things, and how the boy got so focused on just studying to prove something, that if only he listened to that fudging tape. Well it was my favorite out of all the three sotries I think.

7.5/10 story
l0relei's avatar
Jan 12, 2021

Honestly, I loved this story. Its hard to find netflix anime movies that actually don't bore you, but this one was heartwarming in all ways. It was like you were actually in the anime, the food looked so good, the scenery, the little details that most animes would ignore are so vibrant and stunning throughout this movie. I thought the differences and similarities between each story and how each story had a heartbreaking moment that gets filled with warmth and love to show the moral that presented throughout the story. Each of the stories was incredible, its so possible you could live the lives of the characters. Such as rekindling an old relationship with somebody you adore, or spending time with somebody who helped you when times were rough or just merely to make a closer bond with you. Its crazy how easily you can be caught up just like the characters, loosing something important to you is easier than you actually believe and this movie portrays that perfectly. I recommend.

Cavenoir's avatar
Jan 12, 2021

I felt that this anime had a lot of potential for growth and to explore the hidden depths and emotions of the characters...except it didn't

I was just very dissapointed with this movie.

aeab32's avatar
Sep 10, 2018

This anime consists of three different stories about youth and the importance of friendship and family. It is an anime which has happy and weepy moments. The characers are well developed in the short space of time.