Fish in the Trap - Reviews

Alt title: Osakana wa Ame no Naka

PandaBeard's avatar
Jul 1, 2010

Fish in a trap

Why is that  every time I play one of my favorite games Anime Roulette, I always seem to get the bullet. Surprisingly this anime was that bullet. Swimming!, was the two sentence plot description that was given. The plot was short and sweet so I thought I'd go for it. The bullet that is this anime is more like a meal hidden under its silver cover. Diving head first (sorry about the pun, ok really bad pun), A Karate Kid meets swimming tale I thought. Light and fluffy a feeling.. In a mere glimpse this film turned into quite interesting dark tale. Underage drinking, gambling, peer pressure, and male on male rape. Yes, male on male rape. I paused for a moment and said " where's the swimming?". I love completely false descriptions. Thankfully this 80's to the maxx! (good thing or bad thing, your choice) film threw me into quite a twisted tale loop. In the long run just your basic soap opera. For it being the 80's it had surprisingly decent audio and video quality. Not 1080p and sadly a soundtrack nothing to write home about, but I have seen and heard much worse from even newer anime. Adults only please. (not for the Pokemon crowd) For the fan of misleading plots. Mediocre at best with a hints of getting better.

<div>

PandaBeard!

</div>

3.5/10 overall
Beth0410's avatar
Jan 20, 2021

The animation and sound was okay. The story shows what could happen to someone when ends up meeting with some sketchy people which resulted in being forced to drink and smoke despite being a minor then later on, being raped. The idea of those two getting together even after the rape, is disgusting. I don't see how such a relationship would work or why the author thought of such an idea.

GodsChosen's avatar
Apr 25, 2021

Rape is never good, I had to say that first and foremost. I understand this anime is very old and perhaps at the time it was written, the creator's frame of reference for what influenced this story may have been different.

In this anime an underaged boy was influenced to go to a bar, forced to drink and smoke, was targeted and raped. I don't care if he may have had feelings for his rapist, he did not consent to being captured and held down by his rapist's friends in the rain; while his attacker raped him.

I love boys love anime, but my word was this a let down. It could've been better, thankfully there are other amazing boys love anime out there.

QuiqueOsse's avatar
Nov 25, 2020

Matsui is an innocent high schooler who falls in love with the swim captain Yuuji, thus deciding to become a member of the swimming club. He is taken by Yuuji to a bar, after a swim competition, where he is mocked by Yuuji's friends and stupidly drinks and smokes anything they give him. We can already see in the bar that the members of the group have sexual attraction towards each other, which is better explained when Azumaishi and Kurakawa are having sex but while Azumaishi is in love with Kurakawa, Kurakawa is in love with Yuuji. Meanwhile, Yuuji is confronted by his grandfather for his social relationships and image, as he is the successor of the family's corporation.

Until here, the anime had an interesting story that kept me wondering what would come next, it seemed to me that maybe it would talk about the prejudice towards the gay community; these turbulent love interests could have a surprising closing; and as for the two main characters, they had plenty of room to grow. But, well, I was the actual innocent individual here and expected too much from this questionable anime.

Feeling stressed and trapped by his grandfather's expectations, with the help of his friends, Yuuji rapes Matsui.

And though the anime's creators try repulsively to make this scene be something else than what it is, it is and it should be ONLY this, a rape. But, they arduously try selling to the public a love story and a romantic bond between the rapist and the victim while the violent crime is in progress. Even if in a utopian setting I could understand Yuuji's reasons and wounds to choose to rape Matsui and the various ways trauma can affect the victim. It is just offensive and unsavory how the anime flourishes the felony, playing slow-paced sexy music while Yuuji is violating Matsui and showing them in a magical out worldly scenario where the two emotionally connect. And after the criminal is done, Matsui is left lying naked under a thunderstorm.

After this everything was trash. Yuuji seemingly grew and matured from the incident, choosing to leave his friends behind. There was a warm fight between Yuuji, Azumaishi, and Kurakawa, about Yuuji being unable to love. And in the end, Matsui enters the swimming club and faces Yuuji, and again the repugnant feeling of romance surrounds them both.

I quite enjoyed the animation, how the light, texture, and hair were drawn.

If there were any soundtrack or sound effects throughout the whole movie, I can't recall. The only sound that stayed in my mind was from the rape scene, and as said before it was awful.

Matsui: a plain uninteresting stereotyped character with the only purpose and know-how to be ingenuous and the toy for Yuuji.

Yuuji: because of his background and issues I thought he would have an intriguing trajectory, but in the end, he turned out to be another boring, nonsensical, and socially toxic creation.

Overal

Regardless of its good beginning, full of possibilities, it was all ruined with the vile and grotesque choice when presenting the rape. And in the end, it was just so disturbing to think that someone (in this case the creators of the anime) could believe that raping was a good way to treat emotional dilemmas.

1.5/10 characters