Fireworks

Alt title: Uchiage Hanabi, Shita Kara Miru ka? Yo Kara Miru ka? Movie

Add review
RRRNIER's avatar
Oct 5, 2017

IF YOUR GOING TO WATCH THIS MOVIE, EXPECTING LIKE ANOTHER MOVIE LIKE YOUR NAME AND SILENT VOICE, ITS NOT, DONT GET FOOLED, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

So to make it short, it started off slow and it ended slowly as well and the ending was the most questionable scene, I got really confused (my friend didn't know what the fuck was going on as well) or maybe we can be dumb.

From what I saw, it was an average love story, but as the time went on it was it got more confusing just like a leaking tap, It had so much potential but nothing really happened and near the end, a musical happened, it legit suddenly turned into a Disney musical and my friend and I were like wtf.Then the end came, then it went... basically what I'm trying to say that it's unfinished. I feel like some parts are missing from this puzzle or maybe it's meant to be missing. In conclusion, I had no idea what was going on.

There are so many things that I need an explanation about so feel free to comment. one of the things is why did his best friend denied her the first time and loves her the second time? and why was there a dome glass near the ending?

ReLuNa

Mafiacow's avatar
Oct 10, 2017

How to tell if you should watch this movie:

• If you like things with no tangible plot
  • If you like characters with no personality
  • If you like every cringy anime cliché

If none of these sound appealing to you, save your time. This movie is trash.

This is by far the worst anime movie I have ever seen.

nic016's avatar
Feb 16, 2019

After watching the movie, I can see why it has been nominated for a bunch of awards. The ending is a bit confusing, and kind of disappointing because you want to know how things worked, and what the hell happened. (SPOILER) You're left wondering if the ball reverted everything back to how it was before finding it or if they just gave into the innevidible and went on their original path after it blew up. But I mean, its a sad ending either way, but could have been way sadder with better character builds and animation. Which is strange for an anime movie... You'd think the budget would be high but theres a ton of scenes that look sloppy and poorly animated, hell a bunch of scenes aren't even synced with the voice actors. With a movie with this potential, I should have been crying at the end. No tears were shed...

interregnum's avatar
Jul 5, 2018

If they made The Girl Who Lept Through Time out of the discarded animation cells from one of the lesser Monogatari seasons, Fireworks would be the result.

Apologies for the spoiler by implication, there, but this one aspect of the plot needs to be revealed to potential viewers up front to adequately advise (warn?) them about what they are getting themselves into: this is a time travel story. Of sorts. It’s a romance, also of sorts, but the time travel element is what makes the plot the plot.

Not that you will discover this until a third of the movie has gone by, and you have questioned why something with so many hints of sweet (if not terribly unique) love story is so frightfully dull and, crucially, averse to getting to the part with the love story. The reason, of course, is the need to establish a baseline from which the subsequent iterations of the same events will deviate as our protagonist tries to adjust things down the path of his preference.

Not that you particularly care, of course, because the protagonist and the immediate supporting cast are different shades of beige--and not even particularly worthwhile shades of beige. There is no time granted to giving them depth, let alone even simple surface traits to fill in around ourselves as we learn who they are by what they do throughout the movie. Nazuna, our female lead, is perhaps the only one with a hint of complexity about her, but her sheer functionality as the excuse for what transpires blots out that potential and makes her immediately less memorable than the tertiary male classmates used to pad out the C-plot, in that, at the very least, they are recognizably repetitive in how they respond to literally everything.

And it isn’t particularly interesting to look at, either.

Fireworks is both too long and too short, caught between wanting to tell a tale of diverging realities in pursuit of love, and a simple story about the impulsiveness and exhilaration of youthful romance. Either story has potential (especially, the latter), but neither aspect is given its due, resulting in a 90-minute mashup of two tenuously connected ideas that is more high concept than highly conceived.

It’s dull. It’s uneven. It’s the wrong kind of weird.

And, ultimately, it isn’t worth the time--no matter which way you look at it.