Fire Force 2nd Season - Reviews

Alt title: Enn Enn no Shouboutai 2nd Season

Florentiniuks's avatar
Dec 27, 2020

The first season was good. This one is a mess. Fan service going strong tho.

Character development who?

I just can't even comprehend how much this sucked. It's just so messy, the main objective is somehow gone (Sho who??) and there's no real purpose or goal in mind, everybody pretty much just does whatever. The show tried to establish that the characters are 'fighting against white-clad-something'' but that's not really what it seems like.

Some characters have even gone missing after appearing in some random arcs..

And the whole concept of 'saving the world' (from who??) and 'fighting the evangelist' was just pure...stupid? The lack of informaton is astonishing, the characters know nothing (and for some reason still..fight?) and so does the viewer (unless you read the manga, then you might be able to understand something..). And the information the characters discover, it simply makes no sense and makes everything they did meaningless.

At this point I don't even know what this show is about.

Is it worth the watch tho?

First season, yes, heck yes. Even if there was no sequel.

Second season? I'd rather erase my memories of it...just ruined a promising show..

HoneyHam's avatar
Dec 20, 2020

No spoilers- Fire force season two was just as visually stunning, impactful, and creative as the first. David Productions did an amazing job creating and maintaining the anime's unique style, and further built upon its elements in this season. However this season fell flat for arguably its plot alone. The plot of the first season was defined and solved (for the most part) by the end of the season. The flow was smooth, the suspense built up over the entirety of the anime, giving the final fight the importance and gravity it needed. Yet for this season, the plot was extremely segmented, with the ending establishing the presumed plot for the next season, yet leaving their own unresolved. Each arc was far too short, and the rate at which they changed did not allow for any real connections to be made with the characters. Additionally, I felt like each arc was only shallowly connected to the overall plot, almost rendering each seemingly insignificant their the close.

In addition, I was not impressed with the way they portrayed and treated Tamaki. I wish she had it better than being the sexual comedic relief. Her treatment this season is best depicted with the following. At the close of a very intense battle scene, Tamaki was left barely clothed and a sexual joke made about her, COMPLETELY destroying all the emotions built up with the fight. The fight was really intense, but treating her like that made it all for nothing. I really want better for her, and I hope they continue to develop her as an active member of Company 8 in the season(s) to come.

Overall this season was a fun watch, and I can't wait to see what the next installment will bring!

xvxlyzchxzg's avatar
Dec 16, 2020

the soundtrack, animation, and plot were all great, which was expected rlly. most of the characters were well-developed for most the most part, i really enjoyed seeing their growth from the 1st to 2nd season. the show rlly opened my eyes and helped me to see how intertwined religion is into current society, and taught me how important it is for the chirch and state to be seperated. there were some parts in the plot which i felt just did not make sense, and was kinda bothered by the unnecessary amount of fan service in the show, which kinda ruined the mood for me. overall, would watch again and recommend to everybody.

BlackCatLef's avatar
Dec 12, 2020

SST no.1 (seasonal shower thoughts)

So, 2nd season of fire force came to an end. All in all I’d say it was pretty enjoyable.

The shows flaws and its strengths alike are still apparent. There are plot holes here and there, like when Charon was fighting Shninra, saying that he wiil get him back cause he is a pillar, yet after he won and Shinra was unconscious he just let him be. Didn’t make much sense if any at all, I guess they thought no one would notice that because it was too obvious. Also the fight with the puppeteer girl, when Haumea steps into the fight, absolutely zero reason she does that, you can’t even excuse it by Haumea’s wacky character, cause despise her character being that way she still fights for the cause. Despite the few missteps though, the story is still intriguing, you do want to find out whats gonna happen, you do want to know the mysteries of this world. So the plot holes are still there, yet the story is still intriguing. Pacing is fine, things happen keeping you engaged, although I think the spread of the season could have been better, I don’t really know why many shounen do that, end the season with a slack, and less interesting stuff.

As for characters there is some development in this season, unfortunately not too much, I expected a bit more. For some characters even though the idea is solid, the premise behind the characters and their relationships is great, its not really that well founded. For example, the new pillar, Inca, yeah I get the thought behind her character, yet it still is stereotypical and shallow, and her change of heart right after she joins the white clads is way over the top, shes acts straight out of the bat like she has been with them for years, and it’s not like she is endangered like she wished for. The weird duo of characters, Kurono and the kid, as interesting as an idea their relationship is, one wanting to torture the weak, the other wanting to be weak because of expectations being a burden on him, it is once again not well founded. Like the kid became that way because his parents weren’t happy with his grades and keep wanting more?? Fuck that shit you special snowflake, like almost every kids carries the burden of his parent expectations at some point. Same goes for Kurono, his character design is great by the way, but he isn’t really plausible.

Two major and typical flaws of the shonen genre are still apparent here, infodumping and fan service. Infodumping can be handled better, although it is handled better than the 1st season I think, partially cause we already know some basic stuff about the world. Now, fan service, well it is slightly better than the 1st season, and right when I thought that is way better than the 1st season, around the midway point they had like half an episode dedicated to fan service. To be honest I’d rather get half an episode of fan service and get over with it, rather than having it litter the entire show, but what can you do, shounen are shounen, kids are kids, money is money.

Animation is still great and character design is great. I hate the CG backgrounds all the time, but, if that’s how they save money so the rest of it can be well animated I can endure it. Both of the openings are pretty good (with the 1st one being slightly better I think), the last ending is nice as well.

Sound is still great, I’m a sucker for the heartbeat fire sound since season one. Voice acting is solid.

All in all as I said, very enjoyable, this show is way better than the likes of MHA, 7DS etc, and I really think should get more credit than it does. If it took itself more serious, tone down the fanservice and infodumping it could be way better. If it could tighten the plot a bit and develop the characters in a meaningful way it could be amazing.

And yes ofc its worth watching, you watched the 1st season already and the 2nd season does everything you expect from it.

7.5/10 animation
8.5/10 sound
5.5/10 characters
6.9/10 overall
BlkAngle's avatar
Jan 4, 2024

Well, I must say that this season thrilled me as much as the previous season and some parts made my blood boil! The openings were very cool and we saw even better animation and graphics than before! Episode 14, which really excited me and if I'm not mistaken, had the highest score among these two seasons... even though the main character was not present in that episode and only two of my favorite supporting characters, I mean Benimaro and Joker, were present. ... Ah, the voice acting of these two characters is beyond amazing and wonderful. This season, I did not feel the presence of Shinra, the main character. I mean, it wasn't up to my expectations in some fights... but it seems that it is going to meet my expectations soon in the next season thanks to Benimaro. Of course, I have to say that my feelings has intensified or even changed many times towards some characters! For example, I became more interested in some characters of Team 8. Especially Maki! And I suddenly liked some villains that I disliked. Also, countless secrets were revealed in this season, which made this season more interesting for me. Anyway, I'm really waiting for the next season to be made, but I'm definitely going to read the manga since it's finished! Let's go!

7.5/10 story