Fire Emblem - Reviews

triplestrike's avatar
May 19, 2011

Lets start off with the biggest issue here, it's two episodes long, and is really the start of something that never was given a true opportunity, SO, we take the game Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and make a two-part anime series about it, which means you must cram all the introductions and endings of whats happening into two episodes, and because that can't be accomplished with something as colossal as Fire Emblem, it just...kinda sits there...

I watched this as of 2011, and it was born in 1996, so its pretty dated, the animation is a little shotty but that is to be expected from that time, I do however think it stands up pretty well in terms of combat if compared with other stuff from this or similar years, its not too shabby, but really not a whole lot.

The music is neat! It is crafted to give you that childish adventure and nostalgia that brings a wonky little smily to your dorky anime lovin face, but at the same time can seem cheesy, still it is fairly neat!

Characters don't get an oppotunity, no development, little relation, its just too short to accomplish anything truly significant.

If you like Fire Emblem, (which I do) and you have 45 minutes spare time, (which apparently I did) it's not a bad little thing to watch.(side note, this was before marth had his name translated properly to english so instead of saying marth, everyone says mars)

6.5/10 story
6.5/10 animation
7.5/10 sound
7.5/10 characters
keero16's avatar
Jun 18, 2011

Fire Emblem has always been a favorite video game series of mine, and I enjoyed the OVA a lot. I understand that a lot of people are turned off by it only having two episodes, but... it's an OVA, not a series. The story is really only about Marth's (or Mars, in this dub) past, a precursor to the first Fire Emblem game for NES (now on the DS, also), while the rest tells a version of the beginning of the game. I think it gives a good insight into Marth's past and character, but I especially liked the parts that were directly (somewhat) from the game, especially the second episode with the priestess. To me, it really was the video game being represented accurately. The animation is good, but I'm just a fan of this style and the time period this was made. The voice acting is mediocre, save for Mars himself, voiced by Spike Spencer (Shinji Ikari in Evangelion). As for character development, the main characters are done well, but the secondary characters are just thrown to the side, and those who are not familiar with the game would be very confused as to who they are.

If you're a fan of the video games or just curious to watch, I say give Fire Emblem a shot. It's a lot better than most people think.

Mathep's avatar
Oct 7, 2023

I found it challenging to be attached to any of the characters. Fortunately, the series consists of only two episodes, making it a quick watch. The dubbing, on the other hand, made me laugh and giggle a bit.

Should you watch this?