Eden of The East Movie II: Paradise Lost - Reviews

Alt title: Higashi no Eden Movie II: Paradise Lost

noname0302's avatar
Apr 21, 2015

Round and round it goes and it doesnt stop. Thats how my head feels right now. Criptic and chaotic is one thing for artistic value, but they didnt just go overboard this time, they torched the ship too.

While the series has a fast pace(mostly) and it is somewhat confusing, in the 2 sequel movies, the confusion reaches ridiculous hights. We barely have any idea what is happening and to be honest, I dont think the creator had either.

Animation is still wonderful, with good music and pretty good characters, but the story is basically inextistent. I watched Kara no Kyoukai in release order, so im not too easy to confuse, but here: Oh, God!!! Even when its not confusing, the story arcs are completely unnecessary(the mother arc). The ending is somewhat good. More or less realistic and I actually liked the telephone idea, but the rest...

Spoiler:

Also, the romantic part. I liked both main characters and actually wanted them to be together. Happy endings are good(SAO for example and I mean the first season, not the shit after it) or at least make a complete ending(like Code Geass, when the ending is very sad, but its the best I have ever seen), but here, we get an ending, that is basically neutral when it comes to changing your mood, and it just feels lackluster. A good example would be Zankyou no Terror, when the ending is spectacular, complete and the main characters actually achieve their goal. More or less. Thats how you end something like this.

Overall: The series starts out wonderfully. I thought that this would be one of my favorites after the first 4 episodes, loses pace completely for like 4 episodes, but saves face in the last few. Then come 2 movies in which the story goes haywire and I honestly dont think that anyone had a plan on how to finish it going into the movies. I recommend watching the series, but the movies...To be honest I think they will just piss you off. Overall score for the 2 movies is 6.5, but only because besides the story, the other aspects are very good. I still wouldnt recommend it. Eden of the East is a disappointment in the end. Too bad...

9.5/10 animation
DemiV's avatar
Jan 11, 2014

As a Higashi no Eden fan, I believe fans deserve a much better ending from writer Kenji Kamiyama. Paradise Lost went against the entire suspenseful plot of the Eden franchise in general. The mystery of the game is inexplicable. There’s no romance between the two main characters. It disappointingly concludes the Higashi no Eden series with illogical conclusions, no clarifications, and even more questions leading to cliffhangers.

This is no longer a dangerous game as it was portrayed to be. Mr. Outside makes an appearance, and he doesn’t fit the script of a criminal mastermind or an evil villain. There are last minute changes to the game in the last few minutes of the movie, and it eliminates all of the seriousness that occurred throughout the series thus far. Apart from that, the game ends without revealing the Supporter and explaining anything about how Juiz operates.

As in the anime series, Takizawa ends everything with a bizarre move, and everyone wonders “What is he doing” and “Why is he doing this.” No one know what Takizawa is thinking, and he never explains himself. Also, it ends in a goofy fashion when the series appeared to be serious.

There is no happily ever after between the two main characters. Nothing changes with Takizawa and Saki, and they spend no alone time together. While Takizawa is dealing with the drama of being the successor to the throne, Saki sets off to search for his long-lost mother. After everything’s over, Takizawa and Saki basically go their separate ways again.

At times like these, I would turn over to the adaptations for an alternative ending. Sadly, there is no manga in relation to Higashi no Eden, and the novels written by Kenji Kamiyama are the same as the TV series.

My advice is to read reviews on Higashi no Eden II: Paradise Lost before beginning the Higashi no Eden series altogether. The series starts on a good note, but the final ending is mediocre and twists the entire plot. If you already watched the series, then you may feel the need to complete it. However, don’t get your hopes up, because the dedication that you put towards the entire series will probably result in a heartbreak.

Rbastid's avatar
May 24, 2017

Where as the series ends with an amazing climax, literally a boom, the franchise, as a whole, with a whimper.

Story - 6/10

After regaining a few of his erased memories, Takizawa returns to Japan to meet with the wife of the late prime Minister Iinuma. Upon his arrival he’s met by the woman who quite possibly is his step-mother and held in confinement until she can can have his DNA tested. Unfortunatly for her, Takizawa has more important things to do, and he finds a way to outsmart his guards and sneak out in order to find and protect the truck carrying his Juiz unit, before Number One can once again try to have it destroyed.

While Taki is off playing long haul trucker, Saki and Osugi agree to try and track down the woman who originally owned Taki’s Mini-Shiba, as he thinks she could be his mother. Through the use of Eden’s crowdsourcing they are able to place the dog at a small restaurant. Although she rejects the idea that Takizawa is her son, some evidence found by Saki seems to say otherwise. Before they can get any real answers, they’re tracked down by the government agency working to stop them, on behalf of another Selacao, and they have to escape.

Separated from the group is Hirasawa, who has tracked down Mr. Outside. He questions him about the game, and surprisingly, has everything laid out for him. Mr. Outside tells him how he met Takizawa, and how he choose him after a conversation between the two where Taki gave his thoughts on how people need to learn that money should come from a hard days work, and not treated like an endless resource.

Meanwhile Takizawa, Sis and Mitchan head to the late Prime Minister’s house, so that Takizawa can finally figure out who his parents really are. There he’s confronted by Mononobe and he decides to make one last play at winning the game. He connects everyone in Japan to a video chat application and threatens take away the youth of the country, therefore destroying the economy of Japan, unless the rich give up their money and start treating their workers properly. This brazenness to tell it like it is catches Mr. Outside off guard, and he decides to end the game, erasing the Selacao’s memories in the process, all except Takizawa.

In the end, Takizawa may not have been the prime minister’s son, but he did make a pseudo paradise for some. Back at the mall, with the help of the Eden team, the N.E.E.T.s started their own self sustaining community, free from the powers in Japan.

They tried to tie up loose ends, with a nice little monologue by Saki, but it all felt a little bit pieced together, without actually concluding anything. Was Takizawa spared from losing his memories because he won or because he already went through the process? Also what did Mr. Outside mean by the Selacao becoming “Latent Saviors” were there memories going to return at a later date or were they just going to become “saviors” by once again being cogs in a wheel? Perhaps a bit taken out of the middle, and a more well thought out ending would have taken this from a mediocre installment into an important one.

Animation - 9/10

By now I don’t think I really have to tell anyone about the great animation found throughout the series. My only little negative point is that they didn’t showcase the ability of the artist this time around, with many of the scenes being in more contained areas that kept the scenery to a minimum.

Sound - 8/10

The sound for this falls right in the middle of the series and the first movie. While voices, ambient sound and background music are all basically the same, it still lacked the great opening and closings, but they did bring back the song which ended the series, Reveal the World, which I think is just a spectacular song.

Characters - 6/10

As with the previous movie, the cast’s screen time, outside of a handful of characters, has been trimmed substantially. Even Takizawa himself seems to be a secondary character, with the stories of his mother, Ms. Iinuma and Saizo Ato driving the film.

Due to the ending I can’t really say much was revealed, because they decide to say everything in the previous eighty five minutes was a lie, which they could have explained in a more logical way by saying saying the test results were actually Juiz’s doing, as Takizawa had asked her to rescind his request to become king.

Overall - 7/10

This is the first time I can say I actually felt disappointed with the show. With so much build up, and so much to work with, you just expected an amazing two hours, but instead it felt like another drawn out episode.

As a whole I did enjoy the series as much as any other I’ve watched, but that’s probably why I wanted so much more. I think they did give us a complete story, but the same story in a Twenty Six or Forty episode series, with much more detail and plot, would have been amazing. But I guess those long series are reserved for mindless drivel that essentially repeat the same episode twenty times over.

pinkarray's avatar
Jun 28, 2017

Though, I don't really see the point in making two Higashi no Eden films, this at least provided more development to Akira's history and character. They did expand on his family, but I found the mother to be pretty cliched, being the cold parent who doesn't want to have anything to do with her son.

Though, I didn't find very many characters interesting here, except for maybe Saki and Micchan. The story was a little bit interesting but it's still too complicated and a bit too focused on there "Oh, has there been any terrorist attacks" thing and it idk, didn't make a lot of sense? There was a funny moment involving Panties and Micchan when Panties hangs up on Micchan all of a sudden while she's panicking about what's happening.

There is some more action happening and it paces a bit better and faster but it's still bland and the pacing doesn't have much exciting things going on. It does get weird in the third act, and I found the third act a bit interesting, but its ending doesn't make any sense but I don't want to spoil anything.

In conclusion, this movie has a few unrealistic moments and unless you're a huge fan of Higashi no Eden or convoluted, slow-paced, underdeveloped anime that doesn't have a lot of action or much going on, I don't recommend checking out the first one. The second one is a bit better and could be something you could try, but it's not very worthwhile, not a waste of time, but just not that good. It's not much special.

6.2/10 animation
5.7/10 characters
5.9/10 overall
OnLittleFeet's avatar
Sep 11, 2010

Eden of the East Movie II: Paradise Lost as a movie delivers the fan service and characters we've come to know and love via the series and first movie.

It's another excellent, "Here are your favorite characters doing what they do best! Oh, those wacky shenanigans :D" --without revealing anything useful as to why they are doing what they are doing. Still. Again. For the third time.

The ORIGINAL SERIES tantalizes us with snippets of brief, delicious story, much like the well-rounded thigh peeking through a smokin' hot dress. There are elements of danger! Romance! Silliness! Danger! More Romance and a very decent mysterious plot that leaves you wanting to know more.

And then they leave the series in a cliff hanger and ask you to watch the movies. Alright, you think. I can do that. This is really good. Surely in two movies they can finally explain everything, close up some loop holes, tighten the plot and entertain me!

And they do.

Entertain you, that is.

As for the story in this movie? (And the last, too) It's as if they have forgotten what has gone on in the first series. The note of danger has long gone. In fact? Danger got kinda bored with strung-along plots without any explanaition. It kinda started yawning in the face of lack-of-consequences for character actions. Now it's on vacation somewhere with some other animation, leaving Eden of the East II: Paradise Lost flapping out the window, showing it's bare, boring bum.

It doesn't make sense. The motivation and very real sense of there being some dire need pushing each character has gone the way of the dodo bird. AKA: extinct. Gone. It is not pinin' for any fjords. It is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired to meet its maker, danger and plot sense has gone stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace and if they hadn't nailed the same characters from the original series and movie to the perch of this movie? It would be pushing up daisies.

The plot, reason for characters to do what they do--the story? It has rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.

This is an ex-story. It is dead.**

Animation:

On the bright side, the animation is absolutely stunning! Don't let the simple character facial animations and 'everybody wears the same clothes all year,' syndrome get you down! The expressions and movement along with the backgrounds and settings are visually amazeface.

I seriously have artists envy recalling some of the scenes. I was all, "omg! How they paint that so [email protected]!"

Sound:

They K.I.S.S the sound in this animation. (Keep It Simple Stupid.) You have a neat, jingly opening theme and your mood music throughout the animation and then wham bam, thank you ma'am--ending. There's not much for me to further note. It fits splendidly with what they need it to do but isn't terribly memorable past...Well..It's been probably 30 minutes since I watched it? I couldn't tell you how any of the music goes.

Characters:The characters are where this shone. If it were not for the fact Saki and our beloved Air King were in this movie, I wouldn't have bothered torturing myself with massive plot holes that made me throw my hands at the screen to startle my husband out of waking with--"WRRRY? WRRY THAT HAPPEN? WHAT IS GOING ON? WHY DID THEY SAY THAT? WHAT--NO! NO, DON'T DO THAT...OH MY GOD WHAAAAAAT?"

I love the characters. They are well rounded, quirky and brought together with a flair for subtle comedy and the same expert handling they were melded together in the original series.

And yet they some how screw this up by obviously doling out a certain romantic aspect to keep wibbling romantics at heart (What? Stop staring at me. LOOK I LOVE, LOVE, OKAY?) watching. The ending is almost neener-neener spiteful in not concluding in a natural way that it should. It is cliche in its handling of a relationship, where the man gets to be the happy-go-lucky jackass and the woman has to stand at the window looking misty eyed and pretty, while breathily whispering, "I'll wait for you, put my whole life on hold like the giant idiot I am, for uuuuuuuuuuuuu ILU OMG~~~~"

The characters were fantastic. Their development and actions in this movie? Pencil-in-your-eye-stab worthy.

Overal:

I gave it an 7.5 because a.) I loved the series and the fact that they are, at least, trying to squeeze every last penny out of it by roping a die hard fan like myself back in with flimsy plot and--"Oh hey, things MIGHT happen! Mwuahahahahahahah!"

But they don't.

And also because it is amazing, visually, and if you can stop flailing about like a muppet being tazered due to obvious gaping plot hole being obvious, it is still an enjoyable way to waste time. The characters are fun, the story is different, and by god--compared to what's being crammed down our throats lately, entertainment wise, it sure as heck deserves the honorable mentions of an 7.5.

I do recommend you watch the series, the other movie, and this.

And not just so your eye can twitch like mine every time nothing gets explained right.

**Credit to a Monty Python sketch about a dead parrot. It fit when describing what they did to the story and plot, okay?