Durarara!! X2

Add review
Noriko's avatar
Jan 10, 2015

Haiiii~ (~◠▽◠)~♥

So I have waited for a loooong time for a Durarara! sequel and I can tell you that I am SO glad it turned out like this. This is a very well done sequel and what's best... there will be TWO MORE!

Before starting out this review might contain some minor spoilers for the FIRST season of Durarara! so I suggest reading this only if you watched season one and you're ready for the second one.

Let's say no more and get on with the review:

STORY

And we're back in Ikebukuro Tokyo! The city vibe this anime has makes you feel like you're there. It seems like not a lot has changed, even after the huge event in the previous season.

Even after such a huge event, not many things have changed. Simon is still there selling Russian sushi, Celty still doesn't have a head, Izaya and Shizuo still hate eachother, those 4 otaku's in a van are commenting on a serial killer.

What I liked about the story is how it all started out, first 6-8 episodes were great, but then, even though the story went in a great direction... I got a bit bored with the whole story. I will admit though, this story development is so professionally done. It's fitted into 12 episodes and it doesn't feel rushed at all.

But to put it up nicely, the whole story is greatly explained. Lots of characters but all are greatly involved. All of the story ''pros'' that the first season had still exist. Such as the chat room, Celty's overthinkink, Shinra's pervyness etc.

I like how it's done and it's really detailed but at the same time really fun to follow. It's a well done story, but it has lots of dialogue and you kind of have to be focused to understand (similar with monogatari series).

Great ending, perfect to wrap up the season, and build up hype for the second one.

I'll give it a 9/10, it is well done, and it would have been 10/10 if it was a bit more easier to follow.

ANIMATION

Now they changed the studio... I've been around for a while, I know what usually happens when they change the studio to make a sequel.

Not with DRRR2 though. The animation is so great. Better than first season for sure. Also, DRRR has a special kind of animation. Like, it's not very typical. And I like that. I love when the show has unique aspects, and DRRR has many. Animation is one of them.

I love how much detail there is with the city. Same with the last season but even better. I think this anime wouldn't be the same without the way environment is drawn. And that's a big plus.

Amazing animation, but there are a few sloppy scenes from episode 6-12, which I didn't expect. Apart from that, there's definitely nothing wrong with the animation.

9/10

SOUND

Not much I can say about the sound. Same voice actors, excellent sound quality, great music... basically only positive things.

Let's talk a bit about the sound quality. Music and voice acting are really really well done. You can tell there's lots of $$$ involved. I really like Celty's voice actor. It almost feels like her voice is reaching through. Okay that sounds cheesy af but you know what I mean.

So in conclusion. Excellent sound quality and catchy music. I LIVE for the OP. Both the song and the style. LOVE it.

10/10

CHARACTERS

Many new characters! There's that Aoba guy, Izaya's 2 sisters, a maniac and a smart biker girl, a cute little girl, a womenizer...

So, new characters only add up to the old characters. And they're all pretty much well developed. I'd say there's basically a character for everyone! (my favorites are still Celty and Masaomi :3 )

I really love how almost all the characters are continuously involved with the story. Which is impressive since there are so many characters now!

All that needs to be said is that there are dozens of characters, but they're all well developed and involved with the story. It's greatly done and if you liked some characters from season one, find some room to like some more!

10/10

OVERALL

5 years I have waited. Durarara is one of the FIRST shows I ever watched. From the moment it ended I knew there was gonna be season 2 (didn't know I would have to wait 5 damn years tho).

I think it was worth the wait. The show is absolutely amazing. Without a doubt my favorite of the Winter 2015 season. This show has it all: Great story and storytelling, great animation with vivid and environmental aspects, great sound quality and amazing characters!

That's it! Thanks for reading my review! I'd recommend this anime to all Durarara! fans, and everyone who's ready for a great anime! (make sure to watch S1 first tho)

I will also review other 2 Durarara!x2 releases!

Rate if you found this review helpful, funny, or just like it. I have more anime reviews so check them out if you want!

Thanks and have a nice day ^^

noname0302's avatar
Jun 2, 2015

I already wrote a review of the first season. All the same things are valid for this one too.

What is new? Not much...Mikado is still boring, we actually get less of the more interesting characters and the new ones look like weak subtitutes to waste our time. There are signs of improvement, but they really need to step up their game, because so far ths is forgettable.

8.5/10 animation
Gozza's avatar
May 23, 2018

It started out slow again to help introduce many more faces. From the pretty large cast that we already had they added a few new russians, a bunch of new yakuza members, a couple of teenage family members from the original cast and a new gang to make life in Ikebukuro more hectic.

The dollar gang, created by mikado, is going through a tough time due to there not being any rules which creates a lot of conflict among the main cast members and the new rival gang. A lot of the new plot also revolves around a young girl named Akane who is wanted by the Russians and the yakuza.

Celty is struggling a lot more this season due to everybody wanting a piece of her and als accepting jobs that come with a lot of baggage that nobody really tells her about.

Do feel that this story is a lot simpler put together and where in the first series every character had an important role till the very end it's a lot different in this season. Animations and action scenes are still amazing, it's great storytelling with a really great cast.

yoshina's avatar
Sep 30, 2015

Durarara!! left me with wanting more. After season 2 came out, I’ve become impressed on the overall quality of the show. It has definitely improved and the new characters are phenomenal (twins anyone?). My thoughts on this is pretty much the same as seaon one. Durarara is a unique show that contains various characters, genres, and storylines. Just about every episode focuses on a different character perspective despite the fact the main protagonist is Mikado. The great appeal of Durarara is its diverse and colorful mix of personalities of numerous characters. Overall, this is by far one of the best animes I have seen in a while. I'd recommend it to anyone, no matter what their tastes are, since it has a bit of everything and an excellent cast of characters.

AngelBeatsYui's avatar
Apr 14, 2015

Durarara second season Review

So my review for the second season of one of my favourite anime, Durarara. This takes place quite a while after the first series and to be honest nothing much has changed. It is simply another arc in the Durarara, we have the general supernatural, and problems with gangs…things like that.

STORY

I simply love the idea behind the story for this series, I love how they intertwined the story with a supernatural side and a normal-ish situation. The story for this series wasn’t bad but wasn’t living up to my expectations for a follow on from the last series. Personally I think that I might start to read the light novels because I have heard good things about them, which would be a good way to compare the two, so maybe this isn’t the final version of this review.

ANIMATION

Animation was a big let-down for this series, it just didn’t seem to flow as well as the episodes went on, it was disappointing. There were moments where it looked a bit like a young child had drawn the designs, there was no detail in some areas. This mainly showed to me in episode 8, when we had Shizuo’s scene and Mikado’s scene, they were just so badly animated up until you got into close-ups and then all the facial details were there. I just hope they step it up for the new series in July.

SOUND

So the sound is one of the best things I enjoy, so I watched the first series dubbed but this series I decided to watch sub, the voice actors were well chosen in both so  I have no complaints here, they capture the characters personality great. The opening was your typical Durarara opening, and I’m glad they kept it that way. This opening is quite catching but not as catchy as others ones though. The ending was upbeat and enjoyable.

CHARACTERS

My views on characters are pretty much the same, I just wished Masaomi had more of a role in this series instead of just being the warning guy. Also my feelings for Mikado dropped as he is now a complete idiot for doing what he did at the end. Izaya and Shizuo are just the same, probably the best characters in the series.

Anyway that is it for now, hope you enjoyed this review…bye bye.

-AngelBeatsYui-