Durarara!! X2 The Third Arc

Add review
Noriko's avatar
Jan 9, 2016

Haiiii~ (~◠▽◠)~♥

It's the first review of the year and my favorite show is back! Last Durarara!!x2 season is upon us!

NOTICE: This is a first impression review, it will be updated once 6 episodes are out and then again once it finishes airing. Also, I wouldn't recommend reading this review if you didn't watch both the original DRRR!! and 2 seasons of DRRR!!x2 (which I previously reviewed) because this review might contain some minor spoilers for previous seasons.

Now isn't this great? I'm sure they will wrap up things in the most interesting way possible, but for now let's review based on the first episode!

STORY

So the first episode is sort of a recap of what the hell is going on so far. Which is needed considering this show is based on a lot of dialogue and 15+ characters are not making it any easier. And yeah to fully understand the story you have to be really focused all the time (same with monogatari series, which I mentioned in my previous DRRR!!x2 reviews).

Following this story might not be easy, but it's totally worth it. The story is interesting, funny and full of character conflicts which are more than entertaining.

Now, if you watched all the previous seasons of DRRR!! you might have noticed what I noticed. It sort of feels like the story is going in a circular motion. In the end everything is again based on Yellow Scarves, The Dollars and Saika, but this time there's much more development (including Celty's head)

In conclusion, I love the story, it's still brilliant after so many episodes and I can't wait to see more. 9/10

ANIMATION

Well, I don't have anything to add considering my previous DRRR!! reviews.

The animation is still brilliant, detailed, polished and unique. And I have nothing negative to say so far. 10/10

SOUND

Same as animation, amazing OP, incredible sound quality and voice acting. I would even say that this quality is top-notch when it comes to the anime industry.

If more anime had this sound quality, world would be a better place. 10/10

CHARACTERS

Nope, this anime still has 48 relevant and developed characters that are all heavily involved with the story. Or is it just me?

I just love how everyone is included, everyone has a purpose. I feel like this anime has no ''side characters'' because of that.

The only negative thing I can say is that there are so many characters that it gets sort of hard to follow each and every one, and despite of the number of episodes, I still can't remember half of their names. Still, 9/10.

OVERALL

Woow, isn't this anime great? Kind of breaks my heart that this is the last season BUT HEY I can't wait to watch the upcoming DRRR!! series coming out sometime in 2028.

Jokes aside, this is one of my favorite anime series in the world, it's so good and every episode is enjoyable.

Since it's only ep1, the rating will be symbolic. Since last 2 seasons were great, I'll give it 9.5/10 so far and see what happens when more episodes come out.

That's it! Thanks for reading my review! I'd recommend this anime to all Durarara! fans (yeah you! if you didn't catch up do it now!), and everyone who's ready for a great anime! (make sure to watch S1 and x2 Shou and Ten first)

Rate if you found this review helpful, funny, or just like it. I have more anime reviews so check them out if you want!

Thanks and have a nice day ^^

PurplePeopleEater's avatar
Jun 23, 2016

This is a review for all the seasons but focuses mostly on this season. I think I gave a 3 for the first season. The second season I give a 4. For XTen I give about a 4 and for this one I give about a 6 since it was considerably better and more interesting, but cannot fully escape the the previous seasons.

I personally was disappointed with this series as a whole, especially since nearly everyone seems to think it's a great series. It has some really good parts to it and some great characters with out a doubt, however, it doesn't quite make up for everything about it that I dislike. This season wasn't nearly as bad as the others though. It actually kept my attention for most of it.

For me, how the story is written is the big problem. Yes, it is unique instead of the same old same old. Yes, as far as writing goes, it's more clever and complex than the average anime. I can respect it as an example of good writing skills, but that doesn't mean I am going to like it or be entertained. Sometimes simple is better than complex and simple done well can be really good.

I will go ahead and say this now: the first time I tried to watch this, I turned it off after the first episode. It seemed slow and uninteresting. I only came back to it because I continued to see excellent reviews and praise and figured it had to get better after the first episode or else it wouldn't be so well liked. So I tried it again and stuck with it all the way through. Besides, I don't like declaring my dislike for something if I haven't seen all of it.

Story and Characters:This is one of those stories that sort of changes main characters often and goes off into side stories constantly trying to develop every character as if they were a main character. That is what put me off the most. I am the type of person who won't read/watch a sequel to a story simply because it follows a different main character and I can never seem to get into it when they switch, so changing characters every episode isn't going to go over well with me. I liked the main concept of the three friends who, unknown to each other, were leading groups that were basically enemies and the one guy who isn't really special but basically self-destructs with power. What I don't care about is the little details about every characters past. Sometimes, it felt like I knew more about the less major characters than the three friends! Sorry, I'm getting off track. See, I can go off into side topics too.......ANYWAY...the first 24 episodes follow different characters and their seperate stories in far more detail than was ever necessary. In other words, I was bored. BORED!! Every once in a while something would catch my attention for a few moments but then I was back to half paying attention while thinking "can we get on with it already", "I don't care about all that just get back to the regular story,""Pick a story and stick with it," and "I really don't care about this persons whole life history, please move faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Those were my general thoughts through most of it. This last season was the only time I only had those thoughts a couple times, aabout as often as I would with most stories. The first season was when these were my thoughts for almost the entire 480 something minutes it took to watch.....

I don't want to calculate the total amount of time I felt was wasted watching this because it would probably be depressing and I'm not good at math so it's too much trouble. The ending of the last two seasons was probably when I was into the story most because it mostly read like your average story instead of jumping around all over the place and barely being coherent at times.

The character were good, although they weren't all so interesting I was dying to know their backstory in detail, but they were good. Right away I told myself I would pick a character other than Mikado to like. Normally I end up likeing the main character, but it was easy to tell he was a bit of a whimp with no special ability really which would eventually disappoint me. I couldn't bring myself to like Kida either though so I chose Izaya. Yes, he is a trouble maker to put it lightly but I liked his way of thinking. I can't be quite as indifferent and uncaring as him (thats the best way I think to put it) but I like how he views humans as play things because I'm kind of like that too. That's why I'm in the field of psychology. So even though he was a bit jerkish, I would love to have a conversation with that guy. In the end though, I really only cared much about the parts with Mikado, Kida, and Izaya. Shinra and Celty and Shizuo were interesting sometimes too, but the rest of the characters, I liked as side characters but not when they were in the spotlight for hlaf or a whole episode. Then I was bored.

Sound and Animation: Animation was average. There were times when different angles would have been better or it was a bit too dark, but for the most part it was fine. I liked the opening songs for all the seasons except this one (And I rarely like opening songs) and the soundtracks were interesting. They used some rather classical music at interesting times. It was maybe slightly above average.

OVERALL: I would reccommend this series because a lot of people like it, but I wouldn't reccommend it based on my own experience watching it. It had good moments, but it lost momentum with all the switching characters and side stories which resulted in an average. maybe slightly below average, impression and response. If it cut most of that out....it would be a lot shorter and I would have liked it more, not that I prefer short animes because it's the opposite, but I don't like long animes with a bunch of uneseccary stuff either. My main complaint is that I spent most of my time bored and wishing it would hurry up. The story was good, but I didn't like how it was told. The ending of this season was good, but the last episode kept jumping around so much (as many episodes do in this anime) that it took away from the story a bit. Anyway, I give it a 6 because it was better than the previous seasons and I did sort of like the ending, but it might be more of a 5 in reality. The show as a whole including all the seasons would be a 4.5.

Gozza's avatar
May 26, 2018

The suspense is build up even more than the previous seasons but I felt it was all a little bit more lacklucker when it came down to the main plot. Other then that, the cast grow a little more and the characters are well thought out as ever. I do feel the cast has reached a size where you are starting to confuse who is related to who, not so much for the main characters but definitely for the side characters.

A good example is the cursed blade, that gets split into several different blades and you're guessing who actually has access to the blade and who doesn't.

Mikado's story is that he wants to fix his past issues but his struggles don't really get the attention to make you really feel that it is the real important issue that everybody is building it up to be. The struggle between Mikado and Masaomi is just confusing, for people that don't talk and don't hang out there is this thing where they go through a transformation of wanting to be around each other to fighting each other to protect each other. The whole series about how Anri, Mikado and Masaomi want to be honest with each other but the climax actually kills that concept, it only plays out that way due to Celty.

The other side stories and the colorful cast are still amazing and actually makes you somewhat want to forget about the main plot.

I will say, for as amazing the art has been in the show, it kind of dropped the ball on one of the most important scenes in the series when Celty gets trapped in blades as a black floating ball. It left me rather confused and actually disappointed.

Sarcataclysmal's avatar
Jan 15, 2017

Based off memory. Also, spoilers.

Ah... the final season of Durarara, unless someone decides to make an anime for Durarara HS/SH... oh well.

The last cour of Durarara, Ketsu, is considerably more suspenseful than the first and second cours and the first season altogether. Ryugamine's plan and lots of other things are all happeining. And at the very end you're just... satisfied, well, if you're a fan that is. I don't know about non-fans but hey, whatever.

Animation didn't drop in quality. Good thing.

Op is good. Ed is eh. Voice acting is good.

Characters are well done. I especially like Ryugamine, Celty and Masaomi here at the last cour. Especially.

FuriousYellow77's avatar
Jul 11, 2016

So i have now finished watching the entirety of Durarara!! X2, and for the first time, even though i have watched more than enough anime over the years i actually feel like i should review one.

Now first thing i will say is that the original durarara was one of the first anime i actually watched, and much like everyone else who watched it i also logged into the dollars fan websites and all so i will try to write this without letting my feelings about the original series (or baccano) cloud my judgement.

So the story picks up right from where the second series in this run of shows left off, everything is still up in the air, people are in coma's and nothing new is introduced, except maybe a few more characters being fleshed out but i'll talk about that later. The twelve episodes of Ketsu all build up to a final two episode climax where everything is resolved and everyone lives happily ever after. The first ten episodes of this series actually deserve a higher rating then a 5 as they seemed to have a nice pace to them, as well as feeling like they were actually building up to something exciting, which the previous season didn't have, but no one likes the middle child so whats new.

The reason that the story scored so poorly in my opinion is the final two episodes. Nothing is really resolved up to this point so its expected to be a pretty plot filled romp at the end, however it really doesnt come across that way. Episode eleven comes and goes and once again it feels like everything is being built up, Mikado and Masaomi finally reunite and sort stuff out (sort of), Shizuo and Izaya have a fight to end all fights, and most of the other main players are all off running around in the background trying to figure out, like the viewers, whats going on. Then there is the climax of the episode which no doubt had a lot of people gasping and excited for  episode 12. I will categorically say that regardless of deadlines for the production or story boards that there was no excuse for rapping up everything in the first 5 minutes of episode 12 like they did, and to have it all fall down on a character who had been absent from the previous three episodes almost was a joke. Three seasons of build up for 5 minutes of episode reeks of disorganised story writing and a sense that everyone behind the scenes of this just wanted it done. Now i will give credit to the shock hospitalisation of one person in the episode, i deffinitely didnt see that coming but that was the only thing that i actually felt genuinely surprised at, however that was completely overwritten by the random conclusion of a story arc from the previous season that hadn't been mentioned in over 15 episodes.

The characters of this story arc are probably the biggest thing that lets down Shou, Ten and Ketsu. The first season was ambitious for having a cast of characters as long as it was, and they managed to pull that off to an extent because of good writing and the number of episodes they had to flesh them all out, and create the story around them. However, their were still only three proper main characters in the first Durarara story, Mikado, Masaomi, and Anri. In this arc however, they clearly wanted to focus not just on them, but on everyone else and the vast amount of new characters they bought in, and unfortunately the character development of all of them ended up feeling rushed, disjointed or unnecessary. With the original main characters lost in the background it was hard to tell what was going on in an episode unless you planned on watching them all in a row so that you could remember what happened the previous week. The thing this season missed most in terms of characters was a main focus, it jumped around and everyone was given similar screen time, Some characters sorely needed more time on screen, and others probably could have been left in the background (shijima, izumi and takashi come to mind).

Sound and Animation:

Animation wise it was a solid production as all the series have been, beautiful character design and gorgeous backgrounds and skyboxes as always.

Sound wise the intro music was pretty mundane this time, i found myself skipping most of it, and they could of done a bit more in terms of music during the episodes but these aren't really major issues.

Overall:

In conclusion, Durarara!! x2 Ketsu, and by extension Shou and Ten, fail to live up to the hype. Weighed down by expectation and far too many storylines to combine into 36 episodes it has slogged its way to the end. I would say that in future a less is more approach would be more realistic, there was probably only 24 episodes worth of content over the three seasons and it would of been nice if they could have packaged it all together like the original. I will say that its worth watching if your a fan of the show and are a bit of a completionist like myself, but other then that this isn't something you would regret for missing or dropping.

P.S

This is my first review and i would love some feedback on it, as well as any recomendations for things i should review or watch in the future if i havent watched them already ;) all coments are welcome on my page :D