Dragon Pilot: Hisone & Masotan - Reviews

snipejaeg's avatar
Oct 16, 2018

tw for episode 2 opening up with multiple counts of “isn’t harassment/assault funny?”

Gozza's avatar
Jan 12, 2019

Gorgeous animation style and some very charismatic characters but sadly that's where it all ended for me. Most people will say that they didn't like the last 2 episodes of the show but I'd say that the issues with the show happened much earlier.

I was suppose to care for these dragons and the bond between the dragon and the main protagonist but it just never did it for me due to the inconsistencies of how the girl and the dragon react to certain situations.

The whole concept of the show seems to be about caring for the people that you love and following your heart while making some tough choices in life to protect those that you love but it becomes hard to get something like that across when your other main character, a dragon, can't express himself at all. Most of the time these dragons just act up and we play a guessing game with the main characters about why they do the things they do.

So one time the dragon rejects the girls, the next time they don't and while you're trying to figure out why these things are happening you come to the conclusion that nothing has really ever changed. These dragons just can't express themselves which the director uses to manipulate the main character into moving into certain directions.

Dope artstyle, dope characters but I'm not a fan of our transforming dragons...

MystixWolf's avatar
Sep 22, 2018

This isn't my typical cup of tea, but it was only Netflix and I thought I could use it as background noise while I did inventory. Turns out I ended up really enjoying it and found myself stopping what I was doing just to watch the scenes. It was rather a cute show and I am satisfied with it's ending.

The character build up was done well and the art is cute too. Because I had been preoccupied I hadn't noticed their lack of noses while the characters were facing the screen, I have seen that style elsewhere, so I found it refreshing and amusing. Rest assured they had noses during their side profiles.

The main characters role was developed nicely and she is definitely the hero of this story. Her sacrifice was felt by her comrades and her commanding officers, even I felt a tad distraught with her absence, until the last scene.

Very well done in my book.

YuriArashi's avatar
Jul 2, 2019

The Right Stuff/Topgun meets How to Train Your Dragon + Best OST = Loved It.

VioletMadder's avatar
Jul 25, 2019

Adorable and original... with questionable values.

The characters were compelling, the story is interesting, the dragons are awesome, and the animation is uniquely simple in places yet overall rich and gorgeous, but this one left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The whole underlyng dynamic of love naturally taking away a woman's power is... creepy. And sexual harassment is creepy, not funny OR romantic.