Dragon Half

Add review
sothis's avatar
Apr 3, 2005

I’ve heard about Dragon Half for quite some time now, and have seen it recommended for a variety of series I’ve enjoyed. Thus, I finally decided to pick it up, and I’m glad I did.

Dragon Half follows the life of Mink, a half human/half dragon, as she tries her best to get the attention of Dick Saucer, a dragon slayer with a penchant for music and concerts. Due to her small problem of being half dragon, this of course causes plenty of mayhem to occur including assassination attempts on Mink’s life, rivalry from the princess of the kingdom who herself is half human/half slime, and various battles in a great arena!

At its core, Dragon Half is definitely 100% random comedy in the vein of Suddenly Princess and Elf Princess Rane. Though there might be a fairly weak "plot" (the king is out to have Mink killed for an old grudge against her mother, Mink wants Dick (haha, that sounds really bad)), the majority of the appeal of Dragon Half is for watching the utter randomness that happens all the time. Funny captions, chibis and hilarious moments can be found all over the place, and it works completely. I found myself laughing out loud on a variety of occasions, and would probably watch it again. The humor meanders into places I wouldn’t have expected in an anime, such as one of the characters taking ex lax on accident and having to run to the bathroom, cursing all the way. Or, a flashback to Slimeopolis where a group of slimes are discussing becoming human. It seemed like every scene had something random in it, for the most part.

The only downfall of Dragon Half is, like many other series out there, that it has no ending. For the life of me I can’t figure out why this wasn’t more popular in its time, which could have warranted more episodes to be made. Instead, this wonderful OVA seemingly fell by the roadside, and that’s a shame. It is for this reason that I gave the story section an 8.5 and not higher for sheer humor. Even without an ending, however, Dragon Half is definitely something you should see. If you enjoy random comedy and have an hour to spare, the wackiness will definitely warrant a viewing.
It’s old, but the animation still shines for what it needs to: the randomness. In general, Dragon Half polarizes between two styles of animation: normal, and chibified. Unlike some series where the chibi aspect is only a small amount, with Dragon Half, it’s pretty much half and half with the normal stuff. This could be one of the best appeals about the OVA, but it could also be a weakness, depending on how much you like chibi characters. Personally, I found it to be amusing a lot of the time, but still thought it was a little excessive and could have been toned down a bit. The most amusing part of the chibi scenes is the fact that often, the chibi characters are mixed with regular looking ones, causing the scenes to be even more humorous.

Colors are all over the map, but are generally bright and interesting. Character designs are definitely a bit weird, with eyes that don’t quite fit the body and excessive roundness and pointy features. Then again, the characters are morphing so much, this doesn’t really matter! My favorite part of the animation was definitely all the cute creatures and monsters, which definitely reminded me of Jewel BEM Hunter Lime. In general, this is an anime that prides itself on the random humor, and the animation was very complimentary to that fact.
Dragon Half fits into the category of "good music for the mood, but uninspiring". Though the synthesized orchestral and pop-y beats fit in the background nicely, they weren’t something I remembered as being fantastic. In fact, after seeing the two episodes, I had to go back and skim them again to remember what the music even was! Nothing much else to say about it, it was fairly unmemorable.

In addition to the 5.5 I’d give for the music, I’m bumping it up to a 6 because of the wonderful voice acting talent. I recognized plenty of the seiyuu and each one played their part very well.
Dragon Half isn’t something you’d watch for plot, and thus, it also isn’t something you’d watch for the deep and complex characters. Then again, the characters all are remarkably hilarious in their chosen roles, which makes up for it! Each of them has their own quirks like the half slime/half human princess who has hilarious flashbacks of her past life, the musical and confused Dick Saucer, and Mink’s parents who are always fighting. Yes, I did say Dick Saucer! Though his name was translated as such, there is a scene where Mink is holding a flier that clearly says "Sother", though I’ll refer to him as the translation suggests instead. The character interactions are over the top and amusing, especially Dick and Mink. The ex lax scene near the end of episode 2 is easily one of the funniest things I’ve seen, especially due to the interactions of the characters involved. The bad guys, though bad, are still likeable and funny, and the monsters are also well done and entertaining.

If you want deep, introspective characters who all have a past and story to tell, don’t watch Dragon Half. If you want hilarious characters that have excessive stereotypical roles, don’t hesitate to pick this up.
Overall
Whenever I’d hear about Dragon Half, I’d be told how much I’d enjoy it. Needless to say, I’m glad I finally believed people and checked it out. If you are a fan of random humor and pure spasticness, you really much watch this. Even for its age, the animation contributes to the humor wonderfully and the characters are all top notch. In the mood for a laugh? Dragon Half is for you.
8.5/10 story
CaptainSlow's avatar
Oct 7, 2014

What I Liked: That ending theme. Funny cast of goofy characters that seem to parody RPG tropes. Good animation for the time, with a large amount of shots of super-deformed characters and slapstick comedy. Kotono Mitsuishi as Mink. The humour is spontaneous and occasionally bizarre. Great character designs, even with Mink and Lufa's...um..."revealing" designs.

What I Didn't: The second half is much weaker than the first. The fact it has no conclusion: it ends with the MC winning a tournament that has nothing to do with the People Potion plot. Gets weirdly fan-servicey in the second episode.

Final Verdict: In a genre full of serious good-versus-evil tales, Dragon Half prides itself on being utterly irreverent and ridiculous, utilising constant chibi shots and frenetic slapstick humour. Unfortunately, this 2-episode OVA ends abruptly which is just simply disappointing.

FullmetalCowboy24's avatar
Nov 24, 2012

Critic's Log - Earthdate: November 23, 2012. Review #23: Dragon Half

Hey There! I hope your Thanksgiving turned out well. Well Black Friday has arrived and I did not participate in that early morning madness. Now that the Holidays are coming soon, I might have a slightly busy schedule on my hands coming up soon but I think I can manage to come up with some reviews in the meantime. I sure got one right now. So... without much ado about nothing, Here is Dragon Half!

Mink is the daughter of a dragon and a retired dragonslaying knight...

(*Record Scratch Sound Effect*) Wait, WHAT! A Dragon and a retired dragonslaying knight!? HOW THE HELL DOES THAT WORK!?, Also...WHY A DRAGON AND A RETIRED DRAGONSLAYER!? HOW DOES THAT ALL MIX!? (back to the sypnosis, I'm kidding about the freakout moment obviously)

Anyway, Mink sets out on a journey to get tickets for a concert held by Dick Saucer (Tehehe, can this sound any more suggestive?)

Dick Saucer is a world famous teen pop star and dragon slayer. Meanwhile, the corrupt king of the land is attempting to take her hostage to get at her mother, and his magic-using daughter seeks to foil Mink's quest out of sheer spite.

To be technical, this is a Kadokawa Shoten production and I'm also seeing a source saying that this is a Studio Takaranke production but according to AnimeNewsNetwork, it says "Kadokawa Shoten", so I think I'll stick with that source for now. This is an OVA which only lasts for 2 episodes and there's really not a whole lot to tell about this anime since it is really short, I do have some things to say about Dragon Half. As you can see, the animation is obviously old-school but it looks pretty good for 1993, I don't much to say regarding the animation so I'll move on to another topic.

The music is done by Kouhei Tanaka, This may not have been Tanaka-san's best work but he has had much more recognition for doing the soundtracks for some well-known animes since Dragon Half. If you are familiar with G Gundam or One Piece, he does the soundtrack for both those shows. I can say that I do find the music decent in Dragon Half but it's nothing too special. There is no opening in Dragon Half unless you consider the opening title screen as an opening. The closing theme on the other hand is somewhat funny since the song is about Eggs. an arrangement of Ode to Joy is thrown in the closing theme just for humor. The closing theme is worth listening to and worth watching while watching Dragon Half because the closing theme is so over the top. It is easily the highlight in the music section for Dragon Half.

The Japanese cast is great in Dragon Half, The English dub could have been better and this is an old dub which stating the obvious can't be avoided. This is obviously a dub that was not well-recognized and it's also a dub that is not all that good. It does have John Swasey in it but he has done better since. Tiffany Grant is also in the dub and sorry for sounding like a broken record but...She has done better since. Spike Spencer is in the dub too... and Amanda Winn-Lee (The original English voice of Rei Ayanami from Evangelion) is on the dub as well. This is a ADV films dub which obviously points out why I figured out that the English voices of Shinji, Rei, and Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion are on the dub. Matt Greenfield is the ADR director in this show and he was also involved in the dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion. In fact, he directed many dubs for ADV Films. The dub is obviously not as good and funny as the Subtitled version of the show because there are seiyus like Kotono Mitsuishi and Akio Ohtsuka are in Dragon Half. Mitsuishi-san voices Mink and I remember her role in Neon Genesis Evangelion where she voiced Misato Katsuragi and this was two years before Evangelion aired in Japan, I did a little research on the show after watching Dragon Half and I was completely unaware that Misato and Fink were voiced by the same seiyu. I think Mitsuishi-san is quite talented. Ohtsuka-san voices the over-the-top Damaramu and he's a talented seiyu as always in the roles since Dragon Half. The other seiyus are pretty good for the most part and they play their roles just fine. The dub may not be the best but it's not absolutely terrible to say the least. It may help to just stick with the Subtitled version on this one.

As far as characters go, there's really nothing too special about them but if there's something about the characters that do work, it would be that some of the characters can be funny in the long run. Mink can be adorable and funny at the same time, Damaramu (like I said earlier) is over-the-top when he fights. Dick Saucer is okay I guess, too bad that his name wasn't used for puns. The King and Rosario are so over-the-top as bad guys. The same goes for Vina, she even does an over-the-top evil laugh. The humor is one of the good qualities of Dragon Half.

I think what does hurt the show is the story. It is short and it does not have an ending at all. For being 2 episodes long, I sure as hell could say that this anime could have been a little bit longer, maybe 4 or 6 episodes long could've been good for an OVA project such as Dragon Half. This was one OVA that was worth seeing because there was some funny moments and a little more could've been what Dragon Half would have needed. I've heard some rumors that Dragon Half was originally going to be 4 episodes long. If that is so, I guess that the first two episodes didn't get the reception it was hoping for which probably explains why it didn't get an ending and the recognition it deserved. Even though it doesn't have an ending, it does have one of the funniest endings to an OVA in my opinion. I knew that Mink's breastplate was smashed to bits during the fight in the second OVA and she obviously covers her chest, it's how the OVA ends that I cracked up laughing. I like how the ending was built up to the scene where the viewer gets to see some boobies

The story is obviously incomplete since the post-credits scene leaves the show extremely open-ended. Since this is a comedy anime, the story is alright for this kind of show. I sort of wish it would go on a little bit more.

Dragon Half was available by ADV films, which sadly means that it is out of print. I sure as hell hope someone rescues it eventually. The manga by Ryusuke Mita has not been released stateside as of yet.

With all that said, Dragon Half is an unfortunately short series that should've been a little longer than it could. It had pretty good animation for it's time and had pretty good humor and some over-the-top characters as well as an adorable main character. This is an OVA worth checking out, you won't be disappointed except for the fact that there is no ending which leaves the anime incomplete. The manga however does have a complete story compared to the anime. The story's non-closure does hurt the show but the other elements are good enough to make this an anime worth seeing.

I give Dragon Half a 7.1 out of 10, it is GOOD!

Feel free to comment below and start looking for dragons in some video games.

7.5/10 characters
7.1/10 overall
ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
May 17, 2012

This is the adaptation of the first chapters of the homonymous slapstick/erotic comedy manga. It is meant to spur you into getting the manga, as it is left intentionally incomplete.

STORY SECTION: 5/10 (7 in the manga) [You won’t find many comedies that actually have a good and continual story like this one.]

The story takes place in a JRPG world, where everything is a weird mix of the middle ages (castles, dungeons, roaming monsters) and of the modern day world (airplanes, music concerts, televisions). Everyone is dressed in the Japanese sense of medieval fashion, with lots of leather and quite body-revealing outfits.

Mink is a sexy, scantly dressed Dragon-Half (half dragon/half human) and has a crush on a bishounen dragon slayer/pop idol. She embarks on a journey to find a magic potion that can turn her into a normal human girl, since she inherited horns, fiery breath and reptilian tail from her dragonic mother. But many want to kill her. A sleazy king who wants to seduce her mother, a princess who wants to keep the bishounen for herself, the bishounen himself because he is a dragon slayer and the minions of the supreme demon lord.

Although only two episodes long, there are many story elements and revelations that make this little series interesting. But since it ends incomplete, the story can’t get a higher mark than the base. The story in the manga continues with far more interesting story arks and revelations, giving this comical series a very good story.

ART SECTION: 5/10 [Comedy and fan service are the center of attraction and everything else around them is left intentionally amateurish.]

As a whole, the animators didn’t bother much in providing quality graphics (they are terribly simple). The characters are drawn in very simple ways and get really chibi when something funny is going on (which is like 70% of total time). When ecchi scenes come along, the body anatomy of the girls improves a lot (proving that the animators were not amateurs) and we get decent fan service. But even then, the girls simply look kawai (big eyes, innocent look) and not realistic; so don’t expect Playboy realism.

SOUND SECTION: 7/10

The tones of the voice actors vary from serious to squeaky, which is meant to be funny when a joke comes along. It is a decent attempt but nothing more.

Sound effects during the episodes are quite mediocre.

The opening song is nothing much but the ending is a comical version of a famous music composition (the 9th Symphony, I think), which is crazy enough to stick to you.

CHARACTER SECTION: 7/10 (8 in the manga) [They are all quite silly; you won’t find a serious character here.]

All characters are funny representations of JRPG stereotypes. As far as classes go, most are specialized fighters or wizards. As far as races go, we have several typical members of all the renowned races (human, dragon, elf, ooze, demon) as well as hybrids of them (half dragon, half ooze).

None has a decent backdrop story or character development in 2 episodes but the manga fleshes out several characters and adds twice as many more, making a very interesting cast. Again, for a comedy, it packs a very big and interesting cast.

But even without all this fuss, the love-struck Mink, her unfaithful womanizing father, her lesbian friend and her hard to get love interest are very funny and above average characters.

VALUE SECTION: 4/10 (6 in the manga)
Pretty low on rewatchability, as it is very small and incomplete. The manga is 10 times longer and complete and has a generally higher chance of rereading it.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 8/10
Depending on your personal taste of humor and ecchiness, the series varies from hilarious to lukewarm. I personally loved it and enjoyed it enough to be interested for more.

SUGGESTION LIST
The manga version, which is far longer and complete.
Slayers and Mahoujin Guru Guru. Fine RPG parodies.

Dionkeykong's avatar
Nov 9, 2018

You know, as a general rule in anime, OVA series that are 1 or 2 or even 4 eps long are quite simply..Crap.

But as is not so often the case there are some rascals out there that manage to not only break that rule but produce to the world something amazing, something that is worth watching.

This little blast from the past is possibly the best comedy show I've seen in a great long while and maybe i'm wrong here, but i think it has to do with the fact that it's only 1 hour of pure fun.

I mean take this for a-somewhat-story! Half dragon girl…Dragon slayer…And a dude named Dick Saucer. i do really believe that someone was on some very very naughty stuff when writing this but i don't care a bit..In fact i want to meet the whole team that made this possible and have some old school time fun with prostitutes, drugs and silly anime.

Back to the story, a dragon slayer and a dragon fall in love…Now before you say AWWwwwwwww or anything like that i need to remind you that despite what this anime wants you to believe having fiery sex with dragons is not only illegal but cruel to these noble animals. Well the dragon slayer not only fucked the creature but also impregnated her which resulted to a half dragon daughter, Mink. Like most female teens everywhere in the world she tends to have a crush on pop idols..Enter our pop idol and her fated enemy Dick Saucer and my god what a beautiful lad and what a name..Strikes fear into the hearts of maidens.

As the "plot" thickens we learn that there is another pervert in town..Namely the king of the land who wants to take his revenge against the fellow bestiality enthusiast(the father of Mink) and have the female mama dragon for himself..So basically the king tries to kill the father to become the rightful dragon fucker and Mink is trying to find the magic “People Potion” which will make her all woman cause as it seems Sir Fucksalot is the only one not into dragon pussy.

At this point you might think that this sounds a lot like another kids story...I think it was called "Pinocchio"..You know, he wanted to be a real boy so that he could join the fun the other kids had..It's a sad story really but what pinocchio lacked was fan service and that was the main reason it never really caught on. But Dragon Half has fanservice in spades and thank lord for that..Who came here for the story anyways?

Which brings me to this..What is this anime all about then?

I trully believe it was made to poke fun at all the anime being made that time period, with its' weird characters and weird animation and even more weird music...It's a giant orgy of parody,hysterical laughter..Who gives a fuck about the animation? It doesn't need great animation! It works like a charm for this show and the characters themselves are quite well developed considering this is 1 hr long.

Should you watch it? Hell yes and if you don't i'll smack you silly.