Dr. Stone

Dr. Stone
Add review
sarahpuryear's avatar
Mar 29, 2020

I absolutely loved this story. It's not every day that you come across an end of the world story where humanity turns to stone and then comes back thousands of years later. The plot made this story feel so unique which I really liked. I found Tsukasa's argument to be really interesting. He had a good point with this argument but he started to kill others

I really loved the animation. the studio outdid themselves

I absolutely loved the music in this show. I loved both OP's. I didn't really like the 2nd ending but it was still good.

The characters in this show were very interesting. I loved watching Senku make friends with people who knew nothing about the world before everyone turned to stone. Even the half antagonistic characters were hard to hate.

Fae0Fantasy's avatar
Mar 28, 2020

This anime was a lot better than I expected it to be and I can't wait for the second season. Yes, I realise in our world a lot of that wouldn't work that way and that it's unrealistic at best.. but it's anime. And it follows its own rules so that's all that matters. Also I cried so many times. Crying usually means it's good. lol

Halex's avatar
Mar 9, 2020

This show has received a lot of hype but in all honesty, it's not as good as they say, it's at least better than average due to it's focusing on science and excellent animation and production values.

The show basically asks the question, if we will have to restart civilization from scratch, but with all of our current knowledge, what can we build and what will we prioritize? So we have a high-schooler with all the knowledge in the world like a MacGyver with a show that is closer to How It's Made, but using the available materials from the stone age.

Unfortunately, the show constantly asks you to ignore the plot holes in the story and just go along, that lack of attention to detail is what breaks this show apart, as there are some things that are just not easy to ignore and given its scientific nature, it just seems cumbersome. The show asks you to pay attention to science and think about what would you do to solve the problems they face, but at the same time, it asks you to be completely oblivious to the obvious plot holes and basically brain dead when it comes to the story, what a drag! If you are a thinker, there are things that just can't be ignored. There are many illogical situations and lots of things that just don't make sense and go unexplained with the story & plot, while the show chooses to focus instead only on building things and acquiring materials. You can read the comments for a description of the plot holes I see with the show, they contain spoilers.

Another problem is that most characters are one-dimensional, showing a limited number of emotions per character with no development over time.  The show completely ignores psychological issues and normal social interactions and questions that people will normally have due to the circumstances they are put through. Then it tries to pit MacGyver against The Lord of the Flies, who will win? And this is the main plotline so far.

Overall, The show definitely has potential but so far it hasn't been fully utilized. The animation, sound, and music are of excellent quality and you'll find the show is entertaining if you have an interest in science, especially chemistry & physics. Just don't expect a masterpiece.

The dub is ok.

shakarz's avatar
Mar 1, 2020

Out of all the anime i've watched, the different kind of genres, and the many different stories, etc. I have never seen an anime such as Dr. Stone, it is one of my best ever anime that i have ever watched. The story, the characters, the way that each episode keeps you entertained. When you plan on starting this anime be prepared to watch "Episode-After-Episode" non-stop as it will definitely make you watch the next.

The story itself was really creative, and it showed how scientific discoveries evolved over the years, and especially how people take those discoveries for granted in today's world. It shows how all these discoveries are really cool and awesome. Imagine living in the world 2000 years back with no electricity, mobile, lights, proper cooking materials, music, tv shows, etc. Then someone comes up and tells you about all of these discoveries.

keiralenihan's avatar
Feb 22, 2020

Very good and original plotline/story. somewhat, educational and most of the characters are quite memorable compared to a lot of other animes. The only problem I have is that the girls' eyes are just a bit too far apart from each other, which is somewhat annoying, but not flat out irritating. The background art never ceases to amaze me, and the unique character design of both Senku and Gen, make them stand out from the more 'bland' and simple design of the new generations, similar to the effect of when Effie Trinket visited district 12 in 'the Hunger Games'.

Phaxuji's avatar
Feb 19, 2020

It's very sad that in this day and age there are still people out there who have access to the internet but refuse to spend any time whatsoever doing basic research, especially pertaining to factual knowledge (such as chemicals). Some even like to spend their time reviewing certain anime whilst spouting demonstrably false information, like that hydrogen sulfide is perfectly safe unless heavily concentrated or that cinnabar is infinitely more dangerous (see: featured reviews of this anime). Unfortunately, due to a combination of personal biases and a desperation to be different from everyone else (see: "edgy"), some people will say anything to stand out.

Science has been ruined for so many people because of arrogant cynics who spout the nonsense that everything is WAY over our simple laymen heads. And those same spiteful people attempt to tear down Dr. Stone because it dares to commit the crime of attempting to bring science to everyone in an exciting and easily digestible fashion. How dare anyone but the most self-styled "brilliant minds" take an interest in how our world works.

But I digress. This is supposed to be a review of Dr. Stone, not a review of nitpicky petulence wrapped in clothes of intellect. And Dr. Stone is truly something remarkable and special.

Let's begin with the thing that stands out the most: this show is unabashedly loving. Love for humanity and what they can achieve, love for the wonder of nature, love for the individual and the strengths that each of us can bring to the world and love for the strength that those people can take in each other. For the most part, this is an anime that can be comfortably shared with your family, friends and even children (I say most part because there is some cursing). Other than that, however, this show exudes a determined positivity that is extremely hard to find nowadays.

Onto the story. The plot of Dr. Stone is that every human being on the earth has been turned to stone. This petrification lasts for some 3,700 years before the protagonists finally awaken.

Underlying the story of the show is a compelling philosophical approach to life between the main protagonist (Senku) and the main antagonist (Tsukasa). It's very typical for stories - anime or otherwise - to place the antagonist in an indefensible position. Either they're evil (just because) or their dog died (so let's destroy the world) or so on and so forth. In Dr. Stone, however, each side has a reasoned argument for their position. Since they effectively have a new world to work with, should they bring everyone back to life? Or will that just put the world back to the same oppressive and classist system? Are some lives more valuable than others?

It's these differences that ultimately lead to how the rest of the show unfolds. And along the way we are treated to very different characters, each with their own motivations and contributions. Dr. Stone tells a story that everyone, whether they are acting selfishly or in deference to one another, wants to help. People like being good to each other and they like feeling like they're useful and part of something. Characters who have given into a miserable way of life or feel resigned to their fate become redeemed and renewed. If there's one message that Dr. Stone wants told, it's that each and every one of us matters.

Beyond all of that, there lies the science itself (the facts of which lead to shallow debates that don't address any of the underlying qualities of the show at all). Incidentally, for the most part the science is surprisingly sound, to the point that I'm surprised it actually aired. Some of what they teach can be very dangerous if attempted in real life and they are not vague in how such things are achieved. There's even a warning as to this effect at the end of every episode.

As far as the animation is concerned, sometimes the beauty in the stills is breathtaking.  There have been moments where I've paused for no reason other than to examine the details of a single frame.  It is a wildly colorful show and equally as vibrant.  The soundtrack is highly immersive and dynamic shifting all the way from playful to anxious to touching as needed without skipping a beat.  I thought both of the opening songs were pretty good not particularly remarkable, however, both ending songs were fantastic.  I still listen to them from time to time.

To finalize this review, I am not an accredited biologist, chemist, physicist or mathematician but I shouldn't have to be to enjoy this show. Finding every possible flaw just to puff out your chest to anyone who'll listen just isn't for me. I wanted to let those who created Dr. Stone tell their story and give them a chance. It's what I try to do with everything I watch. And in the end, Dr. Stone left me with positivity, hope and a renewed wonder for the world around us.

10/10

kluisenaarMinxy's avatar
Feb 18, 2020

I found this story to be captivating i wanted to watch the next episode the moment i had finished the last one biinged watched it in a day i loved it. cant wait for the next season and i think its a good take on the post apocolyptic genre is was light and intresting and perfect for creating a love of science in younger watchers.

bittersweetink89's avatar
Jan 28, 2020

While I found the science-aspect of the show interesting, I ultimately felt that both Senku and Tsukasa were both in the wrong with their world-building view. Why restore humanity to how it is? Modern life is convenient, but meaningless. We are killing our planet, overpopulation is everywhere, people feel more isolated and entitled than ever, and we are overworked only to have most of our salary go to the wealthy who control the government which tells us what we can and cannot do. On the other hand, living in a stone-age where the strong meat-heads can bully, rape, and rule isn't so appealing either. We need a happy medium folks! Towards the end, I wasn't really rooting for either kingdom. That's what ultimately made me give up this series.

techn0mancer's avatar
Jan 24, 2020

Just another anime that represents supposedly "geniuses" in a very incorrect way. Holes are everywhere in the scientific "facts". My college professor is really an intelligent and sharp person but guess what he doesn't know every scientific facts or how they occured. I think this anime represents 80% of reddit smart wannabes in a very accurate way. I watched this anime and told myself to not be judgemental until I watch a few more episodes, only to be more dissapointed.

Diehcish's avatar
Jan 20, 2020

its amazing. Funny chactors.compelling plot.

kessiwah's avatar
Jan 6, 2020

First, I want to say that I absolutely enjoyed this anime. This anime grasped my attention from episode one alone. I really do recommend it to all as it has an interesting concept and storyline in comparison to a lot of other animes that I have seen in the past. The characters are amazing and all. It's an anime that allows you to enjoy it and learn new things all at the same time!

Gozza's avatar
Jan 5, 2020

Another show with a pretty neat concept on paper but I just couldn't really enjoy how it was put together.

I'll give the author credit for trying to showcase how amazing science is and how wonderful it's been in our evolution but I also kind of feel that a lot of the science used on the show happened either through luck or perfect coincidence.

I would have loved to see a young man, trying to survive in the wilderness by using his knowledge and learning more along the way to grow as a character but instead, we're dealing with a Naruto style war between two camps where all the focus goes on creating really specific things like guns and cellphones.

The waterwheel made by our cavemen is a perfect example of something that's only created to move the plot along while most of us would consider that a necessity for making a workload lighter and more effective.

The character design is really funky and the character interactions are incredibly over the top which also isn't my cup of tea. Smart characters that rely on really silly plot devices just really takes away from how interesting the show could have been.

CyanRyanN64's avatar
Dec 31, 2019

I gotta say this anime is so good the animation is very close to the manga and the story is great the characters are very good just if haven't watched this anime yet please do watch it your missing out on something great

Tystick357's avatar
Dec 21, 2019

Dr Stone is an interesting anime with a few misses here and there.  This review will have mild spoilers.

3700 years after humanity was turned to stone, Senku (Dr Stone) awakens.  He has a friend (Taiju) who follows suit and they discover how to awaken people, and decide to bring Taiju's crush back.  They do so, but run into danger, and are forced to awaken someone they may not have otherwise.  This man turns out to want a completely different world and does not value science and progress.

First, the bad parts.  After the first several episodes, the show (and/or manga) decides to flash back to show us what Senku was up to before Taiju woke up.  These episodes were extremely boring to me at the time.  I wasn't totally sold on the show 100% at that point, so maybe I'd feel different if I went back.  Regardless, it really took the steam out of the momentum that was going on.

Also, the antagonist is way too overpowered.  He literally kills a lion with one strike.  I prefer semblances of realism, even in fantasy anime.

For a show where you have to repopulate the world, there really isn't much of a focus on romance.  A lot of anime (specifically shonen and other sub categories of anime that are aimed with mass appeal in mind) is guilty of tip toeing around romance and not delivering resolution until the end of the show.  I find that particularly tiresome so far as I'm watching this show.

Romance is not the #1 thing I go to anime for, but it has its place.  People should be pairing up already given the nature of the world and story.

Another complaint: death of characters.  There are actually some (minor) deaths, but there are too many "death fake outs" in season one.  There are only two, but when you see them, you will know what I mean.  It's hard to have any belief that a) the enemy has a chance despite their power and b) that there will be any cost to the protagonists.

Dont get me wrong, I don't want a bloodbath, but if there is war and no main characters die that's poorly executed IMO.

There is a lot of good with Dr Stone.  Regardless of how realistic or not it is, the science and watching them make things is fun.  Obviously it is a sped up version of how it would be in real life, anime episodes are 20-24 minutes, you have to cover ground quickly.

The show executes humor very well, other than the Senku flashback episodes where we get some scenes with monkeys watching Senku and talking about him.

Mostly all of the characters, except the "extras" from the evil army, are cool and interesting.  A super strong portion of the show is actually a major flashback showing what happened with Senku's adoptive dad when the world went to stone.

Dr Stone is a fun show that has a lot of promise.  Season one ends on a fairly flat, nonclimacfic note, but it is understandable why considering how many episodes it had and following a manga series closely.  I look forward to seeing what the future of the show brings.

If it doesn't delve into some romantic elements and has more cost as far as people losing their lives in battle, it will wear off a little on good will from me and go from a pretty great anime to average.  I'm giving it a bit more credit on the story front right now than I likely should.

It took a bit to grow on me and from how much I'm criticizing it, I'm surprised I still rate it so highly.  Ultimately, the characters are very fun and the idea of watching a civilization be built over the course of an anime is pretty interesting.

Give it a try and see if you like it.

AntonioLI25's avatar
Dec 20, 2019

Dr. Stone is one of the few notorious shows of this year that didn’t follow the major trends we have seen in the last years, and thus it managed to feel a bit fresh in comparison. Still, it faces the issue of trying to use an element as serious and logical as science, while belonging to a demography where most of its elements don’t make sense because they usually have no logic behind, and thus they end up by nature clashing with each other. Of course, the show manages to balance this as it can, but it’s still an ever-present issue.

THE INTRODUCTION (EPISODES 1-6)

Humanity was turned into stone and 3700 years later two boys manage to break the stone and they get down to work to bring back civilization. The duo they form is nothing special, but works since they complement each other (Taiju is strong but dumb, and Senku is smart but weak) and they were already close friends. There is also the thing of how the catastrophe had practically no psychological effects on them, especially when they were conscious all that time without being able to do anything about it. This makes it really hard to care about the event at all, when the only ones who manage to emerge from it, don’t seem that affected by it. If they didn’t care that much, how could we?

But we wouldn’t have a conflict until Senku and Taiju free from the stone another guy (Tsukasa) with a de-petrifying liquid they made. Tsukasa’s views on who should live on the world are completely utopic and stupid, but he is so determined to make them come true that he is willing to kill anyone which represents a danger to them, and thus a battle begins for which side will win. Senku and Taiju manage to run away with a girl they also de-petrified (Yuzuriha) and go to prepare to face Tsukasa but this latter reached them before they could even start to do it.

This is the point where the show starts a soft downhill, since it’s here when the show begins to plot-armor the characters, as it is with Senku, who survived Tsukasa’s attempt to kill him because he still had his neck petrified (this of course was not shown to the viewer up until that moment). Tsukasa faces a girl who tries to kill him (Kohaku), throws a huge tree on her, and she ended up with no severe injuries on her body. And of course, after separating from Taiju and Yuzuriha, Senku manages to get her out of the tree, and she is so delighted with him that she decides to help him. This obviously triggered the waifu alarm for most viewers.

THE FIRST ARC (THE VILLAGE | EPISODES 7-17)

Senku follows Kohaku towards a little village she lives with about other 40 people. Since the village has nothing interesting on its own, I find it ok that the show doesn't gives it much of a focus. Something I found awkward tough was this shafting of characters. Despite not knowing much about them, we moved from two friends the protagonist, with whose he was already compenetrated, and a bad guy they were fighting, to a completely new cast we didn’t even know it existed up until that point (except Kohaku). Besides how the previous ones mentioned have practically no appearance and thus it feels like the show forgot about them during this arc.

Anyways, the new cast has some fun characters and some other boring ones. We have Chrome (the “magician”), Kinro (the rules slave), Ginro (the comic relief), and so on. The objective they have is to save Ruri (Kohaku elder sister) from an ill she suffers, and they spend the arc on preparing a medicine for her. The pacing is very properly handled so we can empathize with the characters and care about what they are doing. Still, none of those who was added to Senku’s team supposed an actual challenge for Senku to recruit them (despite him being a foreigner, which would make him a target of distrust) and thus it feels like there is some sort of favoritism towards him. Even the guy who was working for Tsukasa (Gen), and was supposed to inform him about Senku being alive, joined Senku’s side because the latter promised him to give him soda, which he did, also with no effort.

There is also the thing of how the tension and the stakes during the arc are for the most part inexistent, and some parts that had some sort of tension, it was quickly vanished. Of course, the interactions of the characters and their bizarre expressions makes it funny to watch, but the characters faced practically no danger or challenge on gathering the materials for the medicine, when one of the men of the village (Magma) was about to fight them (Gen made a little trick with flowers and saved them), and even the time when they went for the sulfuric acid. In this last case Chrome is about to die, but Ginro makes a last moment save by catching him with a wood spear, which somehow didn’t break by Chrome’s body weight.

The stakes only rose a little towards the end of the arc, when the time comes out for a tournament the village does to choose the priestess’ husband and new lead of the village. Magma was the only important opponent they had to face, since the other two who participated in the tournament and weren’t on Senku’s team was a Magma’s henchman (Mantle) and an extra (Argo) who was there just for filler, and they had to defeat Magma since if he won he will get rid of Ruri and they will fail in their objective. Unlike most shonen, they defeat him with tricks and not just by brute force, but of course they managed to win because Gen came to the rescue once again.

After that, they finally complete the medicine and gave it to Ruri. Although it feels quite convenient since they managed to cure her at the first attempt, without making any sort of medical check before giving her the medicine, there is still the feeling of catharsis when they achieved their objective because of it.

Senku becomes the leader of the village and it’s revealed that it was his father who found it. We get a background of those who made the first generation were none of them has any interesting qualities or are explored on a personal level. As such, they are important only story-wise, but we can’t actually care about them, since as happened with Senku and Taiju, they don’t seem to be hugely affected by the event despite watching it from the space and being the only survivors of the event. Besides, it’s impossible to make properly a full set of character arcs in only two episodes. It will feel rushed no matter how you try to do it, even if they are flashbacks. Not to mention how dumb they actually were. Seriously, they stood in a field area for years, and never tried to reach a city at least?

Furthermore, to this point it looks evident how Senku is favored by the plot, by making it clear that he was meant to meet the people of the village and becoming his lead. The show basically turned into an empowerment fantasy from here.

THE SECOND ARC (THE CELLPHONE FACTORY | EPISODES 18-24)

Gen informs that Tsukasa plans to attack the village when he gets an army. Just after that, a little group of Tsukasa’s henchmen attacks the village lead by two new characters (Hyouga and Homura), which happen to be part of Tsukasa’s elite force. As with most of the cast up until this point, they are very straightforward and doesn’t have much of substance on their own. This part serves only as an action hook, and to show Senku’s bragging about how they managed to create superior weapons than their enemies’. Not to mention how Kohaku is plot-armored once again. Little mention to Suika’s role of acting as a bait for the enemies, which is one of the things for which I consider her to be a little bit about Nezuko as a character.

Gen is finally unmasked, Hyoga return with Tsukasa and tells him Senku is alive, and the spark of war ignites. From this point towards the end of the season Senku’s band spend their time developing communication devices to compensate the lack of stuff for the upcoming battle. It’s a little bit faster in this regard than the previous arc in terms of pacing, but it works as a reflection of how automation makes things easier and faster to do.

On the other hand, like the first arc it’s very easy-going in all of this, with the only moment of apparent tension being a little quest for gathering a stone they need, with the ones going for it being Senku, Chrome and Magma. Being honest, I thought Senku was an idiot for picking the man they fought against in a tournament, who had a clear intention to kill the priestess once he marry her, and who obviously wants to take his place as the lead of the village. In addition of course, being the strongest man, next to the two weakest boys of the village. Which such an ideal scenario one would obviously expect for Magma to try to kill Senku, and he kind of does it, but gives up really fast. He is a very lazy written character in general.

A little dumb thing I found here is how Tsukasa’s side thinks they can’t establish communication networks when they outnumber the village population. But the thing that really shows how dumb they are, is that they never tried to attack the village again, or sabotage their activities in any way because “winter is coming”. Really? I’m sure no smart villain would let his enemies have the time to develop their weaponry.

So far, the show is quite fun for me, with very weird humor and very basic characters, with plenty of favoritism for the protagonist and his side, but it differs from most shonen by promoting the idea that it’s the ones who are smart and cunning the ones who win. In this regard, it’s the clear opposite of One Piece, by making the good guys the smart and cunning, and the bad guys the dumb, even retarded. It shows a great passion for science and an interesting look at humanity’s inventions. But it has a considerable amount of dumb shit.

JotaroItsMe's avatar
Dec 20, 2019

Just great. Funny and really inteesting. can't wait for season 2

soave's avatar
Dec 14, 2019

Oh god... I really love the series. I couldnt ask for more from the Animators!

Thank you for making a wonderful series, it was an exhilirating ride!

Thanks for confirming the second season at the very last episode...

I really bursted into tears at the last episode. It was too much to take in.

It showed me a lesson. A lesson for everyone: that all we have right now is thanks to our forefathers fighting against failures, moving forward, and keen curiousity. I hope we can be more grateful of everything, as we are the future their lives have been staked on the making.

Well, anyway, for all of those who are reading this review before they have seen this series, there's just one thing I can tell you: Go for IT!

Turky's avatar

Getting Stoned

*spoiler-lite review*

In a world where everyone has unexpectedly gotten stoned, it's up to anime Sheldon Cooper who unexpectedly awakens thousands of years later to rebuild civilization from the ground up, while assisting others in overcoming their vices, all through the incredible power of SCIENCE!!!

Yeah, it's unfortunate that this anime doesn't count as a cautionary tale against legalizing weed, but alas, the show must go on. At least, it does go on 3000 years after it starts. One of the best things about Dr. Stone is how inherently interesting its premise is and how it presents that premise while also establishing the characters.

The Story is pretty straightforward and doesn't take too much deliberation to explain, leaving a lot of room for actual entertainment. Starting off through the eyes of a hard-headed high school student named Taiju who never got to confess his love to the one and only [Insert Love Interest Here], who is just amazing because [Insert Undefined Personality Here]. The details don't matter, because once the "event" happens, all that is ripped away from our man and we're left to view the disaster from his perspective. His strong will is the only thing he has to get him through all those years until he finally awakens to find that his scientist buddy, Senku, who is the actual protagonist, has already woken up, and was counting the seconds the whole time.

How?

Anime character.

"I'm 10 billion parallel universes ahead of you"

That's when things get interesting. As if they loaded up a new minecraft world, they have to start from sticks and stones, hunting, growing food just to survive, and most importantly, finding out how to revive the billions of other statues dotting the disaster-stricken orb that is earth. Which is where the science comes in. The story changes pace a few times and will throw you through a few loops once it gets past its initial simplicity, and manages to up the stakes multiple times throughout the run of the first season. It's not hard to predict, but as a science-focused show, it goes above and beyond that label in the area of intrigue to a surprising degree, even providing some decent drama and tension.

The Characters are managed in a pretty unique way for a shounen, as we get to focus on particular threads throughout the world once they start unraveling. Particularly, most of the bulk of the show takes place in a realm known as Ishigami Village, full of its own charming characters with limited knowledge of science, whom senku must take under his wing. There's the two guards of the gate, Kinrou and Ginrou... the melon-wearing Suika... also there's a female character... and most importantly, the caveman science prodigy Chrome.

The character aspect has a few weaknesses. First of all, some of them seem to have the idea that loud = funny, a common problem among shounen characters. It isn't as prevalent as in say, Demon Slayer, or My Hero Academia, but it's there, and it can be grating at times. The other are the female characters, which range from thoroughly uninteresting [See: Love Interest], to completely obsolete the episode after they're introduced [See: female character that isn't Suika]. Though that isn't to discredit the characters it gets right. Many are extremely charming, such as the near-sighted Ginrou with a stickler for rules, the over-confident Chrome, and Suika, who is just the best.

Due to the changing structure of the story, some of the characters would be a spoiler to even talk about, but just take my word for it. They're all pretty interesting. Even the more irritating ones get some time in the spotlight to get more worth their Co2 emissions.

Senku himself provides the central role of the Science Prodigy who is basically the smartest man alive by default of being the only man alive who memorized Chemistry 201 textbooks while everyone else was snorting stone dust. He's a bit of a shallow character but his environment is what makes him entertaining, he has a snarky "fuck it we're doing it live" attitude about everything, and is the "idea machine" that propells the plot.

To discuss the majority of why I like this anime though, we need to look at what makes up the majority of it, and that is: The Science. Now, if you're looking for an episode of mythbusters in an anime, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but this isn't meant to be a hyper-realistic grounded and down to earth scientific lecture, this is a shounen, and if you were expecting that based on the premise, I don't even know what to tell you. But basically, this is Science but fun. Which means memes, wacky visuals, contextual relevancy (look it up), personality-driven commentary, all that good stuff that goes with the entertaining explanations of the scientific principles used to develop things in the world. The stuff that makes it... yanno, a show.

"Bazinga"

It doesn't have to be 100% accurate and zero plot holes (it has plot holes), it just has to be educational. And despite what the naysayers may naysay, this IS an educational show. You don't have to like it, but it HAS an educational element to it.

Last are the Animation and Sound, which, and I'll NEVER say this again, aren't that important to this particular show. But for what they are, they're okay, TMS does a passable job adapting the style of the manga and the reaction faces are all there in their full glory, and some of the music is super memorable.

Dr. Stone is one of the more unique yet solid big shounen to come out recently. It does suffer from some manga-reader bias aerage-score-wise, but that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve respect. If you want to explore this intriguing premise and maybe learn something alongside some charming characters and get some memes out of it, this shounen may be for you.

OtakuuChann's avatar

I AM SO HAPPY THIS ANIME EXISTS

...and let me explain why!

Dr.Stone is interesting 10 billion % from the beginning until the end. The story is creative, adventurous and actually teaches you a lot of stuff. The animation is fine, the sound is fine, the characters are original too. Overall, I am absolutely satisfied. My reasons being because it doesn't have any sexual sh*t in it; no boobs or underwear shots which is great (for me it is kind of weird now that I am a little older, I didn't take much notice of it in the past I didn't care). It is entertaining, funny and I would recommend this kind of anime to a non anime fan because I feel like even they would enjoy it. So yeah, its some good stuff here. Already want more. Bring it!

TooOldForAnime's avatar
Dec 13, 2019

Overview
Dr. Stone came out as one of the ‘chosen ones’ as to say, right along side The Promised Neverland, Kimetsu No Yaiba, My Hero Acedemia etc. as the future of Shonen Jump. With overwhelmingly successful adaptations for the other 3 manga, how does Dr. Stone stack up? Well, rather poorly. Now that’s not to say it’s a bad series, just that it didn’t leave as much of an impact as the other 3 did. Let’s get into a more detailed review to better understand this.

Story: 5/10
Given that you’ve already read the synopses, you know what it’s about. The first 6 episodes feature a tense atmosphere where, in this light setting, suddenly lives are at stake. Death is now a possibility for the main cast and is shown on screen (with a character destroying statues). Here we are introduced to the show’s main moral dilemma. Is the modern world, which is flourishing in science but ruled by greedy adults, better than this ‘stone world’ in which only the youth shall be revived?
Now whilst this is one fine moral dilemma, It’s not really elaborated upon as much as I would like. The narrative basically boils down to each side reasserting their position on the matter rather than a discussion on why their viewpoint is what it is. Furthermore, after the 6th episode the two opposing sides never meet and so this dialogue is never expanded upon in the series.
The next 10 episodes can be most closely associated with a Food Wars style of storytelling. Our Protagonist will set sight on a goal to invent something and then there will be a scientific explanation of what this something can do. Sometimes, inventing something will require obtaining some raw materials and so there will be entire episodes dedicated on the journey to acquire said raw materials and the importance of these. What you get is half your episode time dedicated to the explanation of the functionality, importance and characteristics of these items that our protagonist wants to invent. The entertainment factor of these long moments of exposition is highly subjective, I’d recommend watching the show while having a meal so that you have some other activity to dedicate your brain cells to because the explanations can get very boring and the MC’s excitement is not enough to make up for that. Apart from the chemical/technology/product the protagonists try to make, much of the content in these 10 episodes is very repetitive with the same cycle again and again. We do get a small tournament arc, however that is not much of a cause for excitement since you don’t get good old shounen style battle tournament but a much more boring “we’ll win this with science” crap tries to pass it’s tactics off as clever but really just comes off as cringe.
Finally in the last third of the series we get some background information on the formation of this stone world, how knowledge was passed down, who the founders were etc. etc. and it does well to answer some of the very obvious questions of this world but not all of them, so look forward to that in season 2. Nonetheless, the last third of the series once again is spent in the same cycle of, need raw material -> exposition -> journey to get it -> exposition -> acquired, which, again I would emphasize, is only enjoyable if you don’t get bored easily.
On the positive side, the story does have a sense of progression, we see the advancement of the kingdom of science as well as the ‘antagonists’ of this series. The constant threat from the youth kingdom keeps you wondering how long can this peace be sustained but with the little attention that it’s given, I doubt that will be enough to keep you hooked

Characters 6/10
Dr Stone focuses more on quantity rather than quality when it comes to it’s characters. You’re offered a huge colorful (literally) cast of characters with their own quirky personalities but they’re mostly very 1 dimensional and not worth talking about. The only one worthy of talking about is your main character, Senku. What separates Senku from other characters like him, who fall into the same cliche of overpowered genius that serves as a wish fulfillment vessel for the viewer, is that the series repeatedly shows his faults. It’s constantly reiterated that sense is lacking in several ways. He is physically very weak, He isn’t athletic, he can’t do much alone. More importantly, Senku has empathy, he has his sense of morality and his weakness for small doses of happiness that come from different sources, like his friends celebrating his birthday. Speaking of friends, another thing that separates Senku from other characters of his kind is his almost tsundere like love for his friends and whilst some may say it doesn’t fit his character, I can’t think of anything more fitting of a highschooler.
Some highlight characters:-
Chrome: Lots of potential for character development and you already see some flashes of it in the series. Rather than just a lackey for Senku, you can see him coming into his own as a scientist with his own drive to invent and his own love for science.
Gen: One of the more unique side characters. After Senku, Gen would be the most interesting character to give an a story arc to. His cunning behavior and morality give him a unique spin that sets him apart from other characters in the series.

Art and Animation: 9/10
The Art leaves very little to complain about. Both the manga and the anime have stellar art, particularly the characters. With almost each character given a very unique design that sets them apart from others. If I did have one criticism, it would be that all the females in the series have the same chibi art style that makes them look a little too cute for their age. For example, at some moments Rui and Suika look like they have the same face despite an almost 10 year difference.
The animation of the series pulls through when it is needed. It’s not a battle anime and so the animation is not required to be of the highest end at all times as long as it’s able to product some magical moments in between. Some of these magical moments include: The Observatory, The Christmas scene, (The Cotton Candy Licking), Senku’s emotional response to the gravestones, etc.

Sound: 8/10
I have very little to say about the sound, It had good openings and a decent sound track. Nothing that memorable except the second opening which seems to be stuck in my head.

Overall: 7/10
Watching Dr. Stone will not be a waste of your time, you will have moments of entertainment and sometimes the science will make you go “wow, I knew they would make that” but it’s not a show worth binge-ing or investing too much into. I’d recommend watching it casually and at your own pace and before season 2 comes out, because this show can be better enjoyed on a weekly streaming basis rather than binge-watching. It’s not going to leave much of an impact and apart from 2/3 characters, the cast won’t be very memorable, but overall, as an experience, you will not be left with a bad taste in your mouth.

waffleoid's avatar
Dec 13, 2019

A bible verse, if you will.
-Once a person has died there soul has left, no stand can ever revive somebody.
Jotaro 4:5

Well the story is good but a little bit too shaky when they revive senku, i know its anime, its what happens because some guy decided lets just add a little bit of cliche, everybody knows that when it comes to anime you really shouldn't cliche. Story is also a little bit less because of how they executed the introductions of the characters as senku wouldnt really be doing that much, i know again its anime but tone it down a little bit. Animation? well what can i say buts it really good. Sound is good too. Characters are cool too its just that ya'know not every teenager goes around crushing everybody's skulls and killing lions in one shot. Overall its a 8/10 and its quite good just some parts of it arent.

JohannesGreen's avatar
Dec 11, 2019

I think Dr. Stone is a very awesome anime, and very entertaining also.

I deffenedly recommend it to anyone who has not seen it yet.

frikandelbroodje's avatar
Dec 4, 2019

Amazing anime. Though, if you never did your best in High School, you probably are going to hate it, because it has lots of references to chemistry and science, which could ruin the entire anime if you know nothing about those subjects. That being said, it can also be very educational. The story is good, but it seems a little empty to me. Most episodes contribute to the story but could also be considered fillers. In a nutshell, people like me who have decent knowledge in science and stuff will most likely enjoy the anime, others not that much unless they're eager to learn more.

ZeOGeM's avatar
Dec 4, 2019

man,ouch it had so much potentail if the guy who wrote this really considered using his brain more but rip

I thought i was gonna watch some fun grinding but here we go:

characters not develobing nor have any scale of measureing their cababilities

the story is falling off so fast and develobing so slow while just throwing fillers around with stall images and screams to make the kids happy

Speaking of the stall imgaes,the animation is pretty weak and lazy

the story was supposed to be logical but I can't see any logic past episode 3 or whenver that muscle man came by

I rate dr stoner 0 for adults because it's a waste of time

I rate it 4 for kids Just because it may make them like learning stuff but it's not even that family friendly

at this point I don't which catagory do i put this in so i will create one.
"Waste of brain cells"

3.5/10 overall
OmniKing's avatar
Dec 1, 2019

This is just..... the BEST

Unlike many other shows this one is exciting and entertaining and sends you the right message, it evokes emotion the right way, it does what a show should do and it is to ENTERTAIN, the story is unique, if you make a graph for how enjoyable it is to watch, it will only go up, during happy scenes you will be happy, during emotional scenes you will be emotional, and when its time to pump some adrenaline you will get the adrenaline. one billion percent you will like this

the only judge for a show is you! never listen to people's reviews! always test a show, most reviewer here are amateur including me, so you be the judge never listen to anyone

FifthCloverDemon's avatar
Nov 15, 2019

Once you get passed the first few episodes then it really kickes off. One of the best anime's I have watched.

Crua9's avatar
Nov 8, 2019

Note, this will have some spoilers within it.

This in my opinion is worth while to watch. I'm not going to get into the about of the show since you most likely already know that due to how popular it is. But, I will get into some good vs bad things within the show.

Good:

• It uses real science (but note the bad)
  • Some of the science it uses you can do right now.
  • It has a decent story so far.

Bad:

• Some of the science used in the show is impossible at the current stages. Like it would take way too long, or there would have to be too much luck involved.
  • A lot of this show is more about luck. Like how the main person didn't get attack before bringing others back, how they found the right things at times, and so on.
  • At points it skips or uses a worse way of doing things. Like we are at EP 19 right now, and the main person wants to do grand things. This is fine, but he is still using manpower to create heat, electricity, and so on. I'm wondering why hasn't he made a steam engine yet. That or a small power plant. For those of you who doesn't know, most power plants more than less use steam to turn stuff to make electricity. If you use coal, nuclear, or whatever for heat. That doesn't matter as long as you can control the heat, water being heated, and output of electricity.
  • One of my biggest problems is he has god like knowledge of almost everything, and how those who populated the island before him [EP 17] didn't do squat when it came to modernizing. Like that makes even less sense because the island they were on is obviously swimming distance to Japan. The people who came to the island, they lived when all the machines were usable. By the time the main person came back, he shouldn't been in the stone age.
  • Going off the last thing, this is a huge problem that needs to be looked at. When the main person's dad brought his crew to the island. From the video it looked like the island was in the middle of nowhere. However, roughly 3,000 years later it's throwing distance from mainland Japan. A basic look up, the island should've moved about 1 inch per year. That's about 0.047 miles or 250 feet within the 3,000 years. Even if it was several miles away, this means they would visually be able to see Japan. And even if it was all woods in the area, are you telling me they didn't explore to find supplies? For those of you who don't know, at night if you're away from cities. The sky glows around cities (even more when there is clouds). Since the street lights should've been working for a good while, and it honestly doesn't take much for this effect to happen. This means they would've easily be able to find the nearest cities. This would've also meant they would've had an easy way of curing the pneumonia that killed the 1 women and maybe a few others. And since the technology was still workable (maybe anything with a battery at that point would be drained, because lets just give them a few months as wiggle room). They would've easily be able to use the technology to make things they needed right then and there. Like one of the first is a easy way to make your own energy. That or they could've taken a bunch of solar panels and that would've lasted them for about 15-25 years. Following this, they could've kept inventing things to help for when humans came back. (NOTE the story they past down)

Now why am I giving it a high score after saying all of that. It's because compared to everything else that is out there. This is some of the best we have, and it's easy to ignore plot holes like I mentioned. I mean that is unless if you work/ed in it. But I personally can tell you it's still easy to overlook the plot holes.

9.8/10 story
9.7/10 overall
Unioto's avatar
Nov 6, 2019

no spoilers This anime is definitely worth watching. It's probably completely different than what you think it is. Very satisfying to watch the MC improve and develop his environment. Dr. Stone provides a fresh and unique yet simple take on the apocalypse genre. Based on his design and smirk, the MC Senku might seem unlikable until you watch the show.

Pros: great concept, decent characters, plot twists, a hot girl or two, good animation at times.

Cons: childish fighting (never blood), lack of suspense because characters never seem to truly get hurt or die, many plot points are so absurd or coincidental that I can't help but roll my eyes.

6.5/10 animation
7.3/10 overall
Vursapama's avatar
Oct 12, 2019

It had some hesitation in the first couple of episodes. I almost found myself disliking the show at first because I agreed more with the main antagonist. I am still a sucker for survivalist type shows that don't require drinking one's own urine. It seems the Rock Lee type character they brought in from the beginning was the only piss we have to drink as he leaves as soon as he appears. I do love Rock Lee, but only in his setting. What would any anime be if it didn't have at least one character that annoys the piss out of you?

So many questions are left after each episode that it brings one to NEED to see what may lay in store next. The semi scientific approach leaves room to spark minds to do more research. If Sheldon from Big Bang grew nuts and then was thrown into the post apocalyptic future, this one be the main character. Character development is a little lacking so far but the series is just getting started. I can't wait to see where we end. I'm staying positive and hoping this remains to be one of the best animes I have seen.

UgandaLasagnaSama's avatar
Sep 25, 2019

The characters are all unique, the animation is good and the music fits right in. This Anime is "one billion percent" in my top 3 animes. But not everything in this Anime is perfect..

Lets start with the PLOT TWISTS. Its always there in every. single. anime. You just cant avoid it. Plot twists, plot armor, etc. are everywhere. But in this anime, they arent that many. Most of the hard work doesnt get shown/illustrated, but we know they work hard in the Anime in order to obtain that stuff. Many people think its just plot twist that they "magically found what they needed" but we also get shown how fast a day passes for them.

Tsukasa. Yes, he is the biggest mistake they did so far. Its just ridiculous how Tsukasa went from "I´ll help you" to "Science must die and so shall you". I actually liked Tsukasa (tho i never really trusted him) and i hoped for him to actually be a good guy. In his mind, he IS a good guy, but obviously isnt.

Long story short: Some plot twists but also great animation, story and music + atmosphere. Unique characters that you wont be able to forget.

alala's avatar
Sep 7, 2019

This anime is completely unwachable. The first episode shocked me actually, so I gave another a try and had to drop it like 10min in. After reading the synopsis I was expecting something much more intelligent. And no, throwing some "science facts" doesn't make it intelligent.  It's neither educational nor entertaining in any way.  Nothing makes sense, the characters are boring and nothing intriguing happens. Maybe this was meant to be a more edgy science kid show for younger audiences obviously. I'll pass.

Xerimades's avatar
Sep 7, 2019

A science-focused show with extremely stupid logical & scientific holes everywhere.. Not a good combination.

I was initially drawn in to this anime due to the unique plot & setting but also due to the very beautifully drawn backgrounds that had some really spot-on lightning. Unfortunately, i soon found out that it would find itself clashing with it's own contrast that is the borderline minimalistic animation, blob shadows and the overall visual designs that most of the character have, being often very crude at times with the females also particularly often being victims to some serious clannad-level derp faces at times with the mouths often going up into their noses while the males almost always remain anatomically correct:

Re-watching a few episodes, it's clear to me the production team was aware of this and to remedy it, they use a lot of "switch/pan to background shots", even during dialogue. You may call this a certain art style if you want, but i don't as it's exclusive to just some of one gender.

Both the audio and characters of the show are very "whacky" generic and stereotypical to the point where there's nothing of note to point out.. Moving on, we have my main gripe with thie show:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The illogicals & unscientific

As i have to go over things that happen in the anime, what's ahead will be SPOILERS.

Gripe numero uno:

The plot is this: Someone or something farts a great big green cloud and all humans & swallows turn into stone.. Or they're encased in stone. One of those two. During this, the protagonist and his side-kick is shown to be concious whilst encased in said stone FOR 3700 YEARS. If you're not big on anatomy or how the brain works, humans are by defacto very social animals. Even if someone is an introvert, cravings for social interactions are fundamental to us as a species and having this get deprived for millenia would make you insane like nobodies business - Look up cabin fever, etc. Second brain related thing is that we NEED it to be stimulated, as it is a muscle. Having this be deprived for millenia would yet again, drive you completely insane and/or make you utterly braindead. They go over how the stone is temporarily healing magick juice when it breaks off some shit so this huge plot-hole can be partially tolerated.

--------------------

The protagonist manages to make a crapton of these HIMSELF:

Yes, those are planks. THIN wood planks. He got up from a 3700 year old nap, hurriedly made some extremely crude stone tools with no practice and made a whole bunch of planks, enough for an entire sizeable tree-house as a skinny nerd whilst taking care of all his other needs.. This is discluding the process where you need to dry the wood and if you look really closely, you can see that almost all of them are near-perfect cuts as well all around. This is to be frank, completely impossible, especially the clean across-cuts as wood phloems all align upwards in one direction with EVEN MORE PLANKS inside of the house in the form of shelves.

--------------------

Everything about this guy.

He kills lions and splits 500 kilo solid rock-boulders in single punches. Just makes me sigh in disbelief as it's completely unrelated to the petrification event.

--------------------

The 300 IQ photographic memory protagonist explaining in detail without fault the "revive human juice" to his nemesis.

Even the smallest lie would've done it since it's a precise percentage mixture, man. Why be this stupid when you're supposed to be smart?

--------------------

Contrary to what some people may believe, a lot of elements and minerals are quite toxic to humans depending on their states which made me surprised to find out that this one cave man has been mining and subsequently handling bulks of elements like malachite (and apparently polishing them to a sheen) for YEARS to fill sizable pots with no health effects:

This INCLUDES Cinnabar. Seriously. All some of this stuff requires is slight moisture to begin letting off extremely toxic fumes, not to mention the powder/fragment discharges that happens when you mine and polish the stuff. Ishigami's village also don't have any sort of soap which makes getting smaller bits, powder and residuals off your hands borderline impossible. Chrome should canonically be dead or crippled.

Failure to scavenge. It's only ever poked at 1-2 times:

This is probably one of my more wobbly points but this show is basically implying that after 3700 years, all evidence, scrap or modern buildings to speak of has basically turned into dust, leaving absolutely nothing to be scavenged or be recovered (except a small scene where they hump a bronze buddha) .. Well..

Santa Sophia - 537 AD.

Next to all stuff by Romans. Roman concrete be sturdy, yo - 117 AD

Caravan Bridge - 850 BC

etc.

Now, not that i am about to go and give the concrete, cement or asphalt we use today any major props because most of it is money-saving cheap trash that rust from the inside due to unprotected rebar but stuff like GLASS has become explosively popular in building construction, not to mention meta materials, carbon fiber, polymer coating mixes, plastics, bricks that ONLY GET BETTER WITH TIME or properly protected, thick galvanized steel beams, etc.. The list goes on, but to give you an example, glass has an expected decomposition time of about 4000 to 100,000 years - Even in a worst-case scenario, that's 300 years off their current time period.

Plastic on the other hand is estimated to take around 1000 years in exposed conditions, but even then they never truly decompose and instead, the material just breaks off into smaller chunks over time - so implying that "everything is fokkin' dust n' gone after 3.7k years brudda" is pretty f*cking stupid.. Especially considering they are so close to metropolises like Kanagawa and Tokyo.

This is just the stuff I've remembered in the first 8-9 episodes. Seeing this happen over and over again can only help me draw the conclusion as to what has happened during production is that they only bothered to hire a chemistry advisor or two and/or some very incompetent/ignored/overlooking professors which is a damn shame as many other elements of the show are so good.

-----------

EDIT:

Some education for the people coming in here to drop f-bombs and mindless "I disagree" trash in the comments: This is a show almost entirely focused and revolving around science. The show is EXTREMELY unrepresentative on very large portions of said science, along with failing to be realistic on a multitude of levels to the point where it contradicts itself. Saying "I disagree" in response to someone pointing out huge, factual flaws does not work, sorry.

For your benefit though, here's another example on how the show mishandles something:

Sulfurina. An anthromorphication of sulfuric acid.. Or more accurately, a mixture of hydrogen sulfide and sulfur dioxide that the show depicts to instantly kill & explode your soul upon even getting the slightest whiff of this stuff which is blatantly wrong. Both these gases need to be in very high concentrations in order to be an immediate health hazard which is only really possible inside of very poorly ventilated places and not say, high up on the cap of a mountain with a very jagged rim.

What do they do later in the series?.. Well, they go spelunking deep underground of course! Complete with sleeping in there and lighting plenty of campfires which paves way for the actual lethal gas that can realistically kill you in a very short time during those circumstances: Carbon Dioxide & Carbon Monoxide! More or less the same killy-thing as sulfur dioxide yet it is not even mentioned in the slightest.

captivus's avatar
Aug 11, 2019

This is a spoiler-free review.

Ok, so this is one of my runner-ups for the best anime this season. The premise is pretty simple: everyone was turned into stone statues and our heroes wake up after ages and try to bring back the lost civilization.

The whole show is based on science and scientific discoveries that we take for granted and that have transformed our lives from savage banana-seeking monkeys that we biologically are. Which is an awesome, new theme in anime that has not been explored. What more do You need?

First - the story.

The plot is structured in a few self-contained arcs that are continuations of each other.

The series is set in a world that has, for all intents and purposes, gone back to the caveman era.  The whole point of the story is to get it back to where we are today.

Relationships between each of the characters (especially our two protagonists - in the first story arc) are given adequate time to develop and feel natural. The story sets up their motivations pretty well.

The main theme of the story is to teach the audience about basic science facts (which is awesome) and to show how our lives are different from what they were supposed to be from a biological standpoint. Just for the novelty of the idea, the show is very much worth a watch.

Second: the animation.

The animation is ... ok ... but nothing truly spectacular.

Characters are drawn and animated in a somewhat distinctive way (I felt it's how the western audience would IMAGINE anime) but they look pretty good after You get used to it.

Having said that this is a story-driven series and it shows.

Third: the sound.

The sound is ok. It's very, VERY bland, but it highlights the plot points in a way that does not feel jarring or forced.

Fourth: the characters.

The characters are the strong point of the series.

First of all the main protagonist is what will make or break this series for You. He is egotistical, somewhat cynical and very capable/talented. Think 'House M.D.' without the drugs and targeted at a slightly younger audience. I liked him quite a bit.

All other characters aren't really worth mentioning - except our antagonist. He is presented as a clear and distinctive polar opposite of the main hero. While his actions may seem objectively insane they are indeed well-grounded in his backstory and emotional traits. Like Batman and Joker, they both complement each other.

Final Verdict:

Go watch it for God's sake! I don't know if You'll fall in love with it but I can safely bet You'll like it quite a bit.

Worufik's avatar
Aug 11, 2019

So I watched all episodes so far (6 episodes) and I think this anime could be in my top 5 most favourite anime. I love MC and the story is interesting and original. Also music for this anime is really good. I'm really excited for other episodes.