Dou Po Cangqiong 2nd Season - Reviews

Alt title: Battle Through the Heavens 2nd Season

Irhamel's avatar
Feb 28, 2019

Although this season kept itself close to the main storyline from the novels, its clear the production studio changed and that led to changes on how the adaptation was carried, which led to some over-spectacularization of some fights, changes in the order in which the tale was told, and this somewhat isnt to my liking.

Xiao Yan changed way too much "graphically" its hard to tie the kid with the adolescent we see and some characters that are recurrent also changed slightly in their design which is a bad practice imho.

The value I gave to Story is because those over-spectacularization, order of storytelling, and some skips that shouldnt happen.

The animation received an eight because the same reasons of season one, hair issues, collision issues and some contact issues.

Sound was good but not good enough imho.

Characters still received high praise, because their "look" doesnt really affect what we see in their development.

Overall although there were changes which not all were entirelly welcome, it still kept true to the novel for the high majority of the run, I just hope season 3 doesnt change studios again and subject us to yet another bunch of aesthetic changes, I just wish there was more story covered in the first two seasons as I feel is a bit too little the progress of the story, even though its been a very low chapter count, anyway its still good enough, it is indeed worth the watch.

8.3/10 overall