Doraemon (1979) - Reviews

CHEM0007's avatar
Oct 10, 2023

Doraemon is a popular Japanese cartoon that has been around for over fifty years, and while it has a large following, there are those who believe that it has a negative impact on its viewers. However, many people, including myself and my sister, have grown up watching this cartoon without any negative effects. The creators of the show incorporate both good and bad values into the storylines, but it is up to the viewers to interpret them and learn from them. For example, while some may argue that the main character Nobita is lazy and incompetent, the show intends to teach children not to be lazy, and to encourage them to learn new things. Nobita's reliance on gadgets and Doraemon's help is simply a plot device that allows the show to explore different scenarios and ideas. The cartoon, created by Fujiko Fujio, has been praised for its creativity, as it features a vast array of imaginative gadgets, characters, and plots. The show's objective is to increase awareness of various topics, such as the consequences of laziness, the importance of hard work, and the value of friendship. While some scenes in the cartoon defy the laws of physics, it is important to remember that Doraemon's target audience is children, and the show's genre is comedy. The purpose of the cartoon is to teach valuable life lessons in a way that is easy for children to understand. Friendship is a recurring theme in the show and is portrayed through various emotions, such as drama, comedy, anger, and jealousy. While some may argue that the show promotes negative behaviors, such as anger and jealousy, it is important to note that these emotions exist in real life. The show teaches children how to handle these emotions positively and emphasizes the importance of good manners and proper behavior. In conclusion, Doraemon remains a popular and beloved cartoon for children and adults alike, despite some criticisms. The show intends to teach valuable life lessons and encourage children to think creatively and positively. It is important to remember that everything has both good and bad, and it is up to the viewers to interpret and learn from the messages portrayed in the show.

ReaperNeku's avatar
Sep 11, 2011

DORAEMON~!

Most 70's to 90's kids will know this as the blue mechanical cat from the future. Spanning over 40 years, this grand series is still ongoing. As a 90's child, I watched this once I knew how to sit in front of a TV, and look at the pictures and that obsession is still strong today. So let's get down to business and review the characters shall we not? We start of with Nobita, a boy who fails in life (or everything for that matter) gets visited by his great-grandson from the 22nd century and brings him horrible news that he'll live a bad life forever if he keeps up like he is now! And what does he bring him? A Giant, Blue Mechanical Cat, called Doraemon. Doraemon has a pouch that connects with the 4th Dimension and allows him to pull out AMAZING items from his pouch! From little Helicopter-blades that attach to your head to allow you to fly freely, to a magical door that will allow you to travel to anywhere in the universe by just walking through it! Then of course, we go to the heroine, a girl named Shizuka. Shizuka is Nobita's crush (eventually his wife), she is also one of Doraemon's gadgets' many victim, from being transported to Nobita's house while taking a shower, to a submarine gadget breaking into her bathroom (during her shower of course). She is also one of Nobita's four best friends, the other two, being Suneo and Gian. Suneo is a rich boy whose family has many connections with celebrities, whilest Gian lives in a department store which his mom owns. Although Suneo and Gian constantly bully Nobita, they have accepted Nobita as a best friend throughout the series MANY times. So as I get ready to wrap this review up, you'll probably ask "Is it worth it to watch all 1700+ episodes?" I'll sadly say, no. Even though I love the series, the stories get repetitive, you'll be likely to get bored by episode 400 or so, but if you love a great classic, such as myself, feel free to watch all those episodes! Even the movies! ALL 30 OF THEM.

So my final conclusion?

Doraemon is a great classic if you're into it, if not, sadly, it won't be that interesting to you. But as a series that has been running strong for 40 years, I will highly recommend it, even if you plan to drop it, give it a try! For all you know, the first thing after you watch this anime can very well be wanting your door to take you to places you want to go!

8.6/10 overall
dark0002's avatar
Oct 18, 2023

Some people who watched Doraemon said that it made them bad.I grew up watching this cartoon and I am still watching. My sister also watched and still watches but there is no negativity.Actually, the problem is within the people. Everything has good and bad. There are good values and bad values in this cartoon but only a few will know how to convert negativity into positivity. In this cartoon, most people complain that Nobita is a fool, stupid, and can't do anything and Doraemon helps him cause he's lazy.He asks for gadgets for almost anything.But I say this:-I got no negativity. He is lazy cause it's the plot. The franchise made him like this so that they could analyze many things. Doraemon takes out gadgets not only to help him but to show creativity. Fujiko Fujio made this cartoon before 50 years! and he imagined almost everything!!!The gadgets, the characters, the plots, the future. These gadgets aren't from any movie but from Fujio's mind, his creativity!Salute to him!!!The main objective of this cartoon was to increase awareness of many things. Nobita is lazy cause he wants to teach the viewer not to be lazy! You must learn things that aren't shown but are meant to be learned.If he acts lazy, he will be shown a new gadget means new thoughts by the franchise. And there will be shown what will happen after you become lazy. You will be in trouble! That is what this show teaches us!There are some scenes that deny the law of physics, why? Because its main focus is on children but old or adults also watch it and its genre is also comedy so times the scene may neglect the rules of physics. This cartoon teaches you many things good by evaluating them if you do bad then what will happen or do good then what will happen?Children may be too small to understand it but seriously if this is the case then what about other cartoons? Doraemon teaches it in a way that is not shown but is meant to be understood.Friendship is shown, and drama, comedy, anger, and jealousy are shown there!If you say that there is hate anger and jealousy in Doraemon, what about real life? Most of the kids of today are not mannered properly, literally, 70% of kids show themselves that they can challenge and speak against adults.In life, there is everything that is shown in Doraemon and other cartoons. Some people are lazy and some are active. Some are rich and some are poor. Doesn't this make sense? You can't just tell that this will make you feel lazy! Listen, this franchise is made to learn not to insult or behave like the characters.It has 1700+ amazing episodes and you compare by just watching 170 or 300 episodes?Even watching episodes won't work, it has 50+ movies as of 2020(released every year since 1980 till today). There is a great bond of friendship in movies that you won't find anywhere. Even if someone bullies, or troubles you like Gian, or Suneo, if there is someone who helps you(like they helped Nobita many times) they care for you, and as people say, friends are meant to give trouble because they’re part of the fun. They joke, prank, fight, and share emotions together, which is why don’t take those scenes of Doraemon negatively. Gian and Suneo bully Nobita because it’s the dark truth of school life!!! They’re friends but Fujiko Fujio thought why not teach other people that bullying is bad and it has a side effect like Nobita was sad when he was bullied.And there comes Doraemon and Shizuka, who support Nobita(Gian and Suneo also support him but according to the story, they don’t really because to teach you indirectly that bullying is bad but sometimes teasing your friend isn’t).Literally, it's not possible to watch all the episodes as they are not found easily on the internet.My final words are that if you want to let your kids see Doraemon then let them but also tell them to learn good things. Negativity and positivity lie within you and all. If you say that Nobita always cries, you maybe wrong cause he is mend so that children learn not to cry because crying won’t give you success in life…

Roman's avatar
Jul 22, 2010

Doraemon is a manga series, later adapted into anime, created by a mangaka duo named Fujiko Fujio. Their names are Hiroshi Fujimoto and Moto Abiko. The manga ran for a very long time, from 1969 to 1996 and, at the end, weighed in at 45 volumes. In 1973 it was adapted into an anime series and it still running, despite being dropped by various directors. In total, the anime series’ total number of episodes is a staggering 2165(!), thus making it the second longest animated series in Japan and, most probably, in the world. The series also has an impressive 30 movies.

Now, such a colossal number of episodes and movies must mean that it is good, right? That it probably has good writing, engaging stories and character interactions, right? Since it has messages about integrity, perseverance, respect, courage and/or family along with global warming, pollution etc. It cannot possibly fail, true? Wrong! It fails hard on every level. The series is seriously messed up and just wrong. The series is about a complete wreck of a human called Nobita Nobi who struggles through life. He has neglectful, sometimes even abusive, parents, always gets a zero at school, has no friends and is bullied constantly and mercilessly by two douchebags called Suneo and Gian who claim to be his friends (right, and I am cyborg pirate ninja Jesus). He also has a love interest, a girl named Suzuka, because she is the only one who is kind to him. One day his predecessors send a robotic cat, called Doraemon, to help, through time from the 23rd Century because his hopelessness caused them serious financial problems and thus want to help him. Doraemon has a thing called a 4D pocket, but I prefer to call it a God pocket because it contains any gadget and machine that can be possibly imagined. It has time machines, dimension creators, inter-dimensional transportations, shrink and enlargement rays etc. Despite this god-like ability, Doraemon fails in every episode. At the start of EVERY episode we get Nobita either getting another abysmal grade at school, getting beaten by the bullies or screamed at by his parents, usually by his mother because the father is mostly absent, working, if not that then minding his own business. There are instances of the Nobis interacting like a decent family but those are few and far between. Anyway, after Nobita suffers through his first order of abuse of the day, he then runs to Doraemon, obviously crying his eyes out, and asks for help, which he gets either willingly or reluctantly, where Doraemon gives him a gadget to fix the problem. Nobita, expectedly, being so desperate for some humane treatment and some love, abuses this gadget, and is made look like an arse in the end where he supposed to learn a lesson. Good God, my soul just hurts because of this and I don’t even believe in souls or God.

You know what the worst part is? Is that this got many cultural awards and Doraemon has received the honour of being the Anime mascot Also, this crap is supposed to be for kids! When I found all that out I was left speechless in shock. Just how is this possible? Shouldn’t, for example, Astro Boy get this place since he was made by Osamu Tezuka, the father of anime and manga?

In short, this series is a depressing, soul-scarring, losing-faith-in-humanity inducing massive piece of ... fail. Therefore I am giving it a well-deserved 0.9 out of 10. I would give it an even worse grade but, believe it or not, there are worse series out there. It still doesn’t deserve a 1, though.

PS: I haven’t exactly stopped watching this at episode 200. I don’t know when I stopped watching but I had to press some episode number otherwise I wouldn’t be able to upload the review.

0.9/10 overall