Domestic Girlfriend - Reviews

Alt title: Domestic na Kanojo

nucl3arGzus's avatar
Jul 5, 2019

For an anime about a boy who wants to become a novelist, Domestic Girlfriend committed a few sins on character development.

Beware, total spoilers ahead.

The premise is interesting: a teenager suffers from unrequited love for his teacher, tries to move on by having casual sex with a girl his age, only to find out that both girls are sibling and that they are going to live with him from now on. It creates a good tension. The fact that the MC's love is living with him makes it harder for him to move on, as now he shares intimacy with the woman; the same goes for the girl he had sex with, making his situation even more confusing and uncomfortable. As if that wasn't complicated enough, she is developing feelings towards him.

This set-up created an incredible environment for character development. But instead, the author just throws it out the window by turning the plot into a mess by the middle of the season.

Besides the premise, every story should have a clear goal for the MC. In this case, the goal is: he wants to date his teacher. So the ending of the anime should be about whether or not he achieved that. During the course of the story, he would have to go through a process of change, either of heart or character. That is how stories are made, and seeing how characters change while they struggle to achieve their objectives is what make stories interesting. Instead, in this anime the MC forces his way through his teacher's heart and achieves his goal by the end of episode 8. Leaving aside the fact that the MC went through no change, the result is that the last 4 episodes are boring, as the show tries hard to create some drama to compensate for a lack of objective.

Now, there are plenty of stories presenting characters that don't go through change, but they normally end badly for the MC. In this case, without change, the character would have ruined his and his lover's life. This is even acknowledged by Hina (the teacher) who says to Natsuo (MC) "are you sure you want to follow this path? To do so would mean committing social suicide, for both of us. Could you do that?". But instead, there are no consequences to their romance (other then they having to be separated, at least for a while). After they have been found out, the teacher transfers to another school, leaving Natsuo and her family behind without word. No charges, no scandal, no reproach – i.e. no social suicide.

In the end, Natsuo suffered a lot. As a consequence, he wrote a prize-winning novel. And he'll be banging the poor younger sister. All's well that ends well.

Because Hina left him, Natsuo was able to write the prize-winning novel. The last episode is not about how his world crumbled into pieces after a sordid affair, but about how the destruction of his world made him rise from the ashes as the phoenix, turning him into an artist. There's even the cheesy quote "Art is born of sadness and suffering". No matter how the author of the anime tries to mask this, the story shifted it's focus. If you break down the last episode into one sentence, it would be something like this: "and to achieve his goal of becoming a great novelist, Natsuo would have to suffer the loss of his first love". You see, even in the review it gets confusing, because that ending would only make sense if the initial goal was "Natsuo wants to become a novelist".

One might argue that Natsuo's goal was always to be a novelist, but that's not true. It is clear from the beginning that what he desires most is to be with Hina. In the first episodes, he is not portrayed as a bookworm/writer. It hints that he likes to write, but that's more a character trait than the objective of the story. Also, he only joins the literary club by episode 5. If he wanted so bad to be a novelist, if he loved so much reading/writing, why wasn't he in the club before? Regardless, even if this was his childhood dream, it was not the goal of this story.

There are many, many paths this anime could have followed that would have made it good. Unfortunately, it seems the author of the series has not been through enough "sadness and suffering", otherwise this might have been a prize-winning piece of art.

This anime had potential, but it was confused about it's own structure. The characters could have been interesting, but they lack development and growth. The plot could have been good, but it lacks consistency. In the end, although the first 4 episodes were engaging, this anime was a train wreck. It turned out to be boring and confusing, and left a bitter taste after it was finished.

Crua9's avatar
Mar 29, 2019

Honestly, this season is feeling like things are just getting started. If there is no other season (which I'm assuming there will be), then I think this wouldn't be much of a watch. But assuming it is, I think this is worth watching when season 2 is out or around the corner.

In a nutshell, the main charater's dad gets mairred to the mom of some girl who he slept with less than 24 hours of finding out the 2 are together and she is the mom of a teacher he wants to be with. As you might guess, anime logic happens and he does end up getting in a relationship with the teacher and the girl. From there out, it becomes a fantastic slow motion trainwreck until the last episode.

There is a number of things I and many others find at fault with this. Like the picture that was taken during the last ep, it physically would've been impossible to get it. Like the picture was taken by someone for a yearbook, they didn't know about taking the picture until going through all of them, and yet it's zoomed right into spoiler. And with the hight and whatever, the person had to be in a crane or on top of a tree to get the picture. The subject was multiple levels up.

Another problem many found is the show skips over a lot of important detail that is in the manga.

One of my personal problems is the show has too much backstory on people who doesn't matter. Like there is an entire epsoide or 2 on back story on people who doesn't matter in this season (obviously, this might pay off later).

Any case, I would say watch the first 2 ep. If you don't care for it by then. Then I highly doubt that will change.

8.5/10 characters
Mohaimen's avatar
Apr 24, 2019

If you're into unrequited love, I'll definitely recommend it. And yes, it is on the border of incest as well. This series doesn't follow the stereotypical romance anime plot. This is gonna be more true to life than you can imagine. The protagonist is a person who is not perfect by any means. He constantly makes stupid decisions that are frustrating. But that's the point of the series. In real life, you're not always going to make the right decisions. That is especially true if strong emotions of unrequited love are involved. Not to mention the fact that he does whatever they can to avoid hurting his step sisters. But at the same time he can't keep his feelings in check. Soon you'll be experiencing a plot where the characters constantly make stupid decisions based on human emotions, impulse and more often face the consequences. There are genuine moments of human connections throughout the plot. It also shows how powerful human emotions can be. It's a constant roller coaster of emotions. There are flaws and issues, like most series, but they are easy to ignore.

ClubFoot's avatar
Aug 1, 2019

We finally have been here since Incest sits on the highest throne in the world. We got “Kissxsis”, “Yosuga no Sora”, “Oreimo”, and “Eromanga Sensei”. In this modern era, future, and humankind has developed more advanced technology, just no coincidence we got many shows like this. So, the premise of the thing about “Domestic Girlfriend” is sex, remarried, incidentally, the pentagram love, and the wincest. After I thought how spicy and how reckless this anime was, I never knew. I never knew the reason why. Just, what’s with this world? Has the horsemen of the apocalypse come down to earth? Are we in a judgment day?

Honestly, I read the manga. The art is pretty good but the story, kind, is just okay I think. So, are coincidence and destiny the most powerful character in this anime? The answer is yes. The fact Natsuo decided to make love with a strange girl he didn’t really know, Rui, was just mindblowing. In fact, she became his own sister and still step never forgetting what their first sex experience was. Worse, Natsuo fell in love with a teacher at his school, Hina, but was coincidental, he was his step-sibling as well. Hallelujah!

It’s the best thing to summarize how great “Domestic Girlfriend”. Sadly, I’m so interested in how the adaptation of the manga from this anime will be very interesting. If only Diomedea could execute it seriously maybe, but they thought that this was just another Sweet Home Alabama. The plot starts with an interesting complicated drama story, about Natsuo’s father who wants to remarry again. Throughout the story, the most thing I took was good, the relationship between this family. I really love it.

But, I also can’t blame Natsuo, can’t blame his feelings, and can’t blame a fact that already exists. Regret is everything and they are eating them. There is ambiguity in himself, a sensitive guy who lacks any experience in love. However, he is the most scumbag, I mean, the luckiest man ever. He gets a lot of harems besides Hina and Rui because he is just so busy to bang with another girl. God, I wish that were me.

Natsuo never realized this was a scum wish, besides relationships between siblings, but also the relationship between a teacher and student. I think we got a lot of anime about the romance between aging gaps. But, why is this so matters? This anime has vague drama between characters you don’t really expect anything with. The transitions often move from one to another character. While Natsuo is banging with Rui and then Hina, he comes across in two choices. But also, it didn’t change the fact that both were very, very, very fond of Natsuo not as a half-sibling.

This anime is controversy, like all anime about incest or whatever, I don’t really see that. I respect one with another character and also like the choices taken by the main characters and heroines. The first arc kind of caught me up because we get a story about infidelity, an adult romance. But, after that, we don’t really get many other arcs besides Momo, the girl with green hair (I forgot her name), and Natsuo’s dream who wants to be a writer. I mean, we also got a gray romance between Natsuo and Rui as well as a love triangle between them. Is this another classic soap opera; but more explicit and have consequences?

But, there is a feeling, a feeling you are very difficult to describe and vent it. That feeling is curiosity. For some reason, we all seem trapped in the same spider web. We break the rule of feeling and love, aren’t we? The 12 episodes didn’t really give a clear conclusion. It was even very difficult for “Domestic Girlfriend”, the adaptation, to be able to capture all of the magic in the manga. I’m not really attached to all of these characters except Natsuo who is very fond of Japanese literature. I kind of relate and understand his feelings.

Speaking of this anime, I have a lot of guilty pleasure for anime but also if I want to talk about it, it might be a thesis. But, I also don’t feel this is one of them because I realized that I was watching this anime. Yet, there is an uncensored version and even one episode of a sex scene. Do I want to watch it again as a reference? Maybe me, or everyone, are so hypocritical. Maybe. The only great thing, to be fair, I really rooted in this anime is the opening theme song. God, I’m freaking love the opening theme song even if the whole show is able to describe it through the visual, maybe there was something wrong.

“Domestic Girlfriend” isn’t an easy experience or an interesting recommendation for some people even if you come across since. There is potential in this show, the story, the character, and the drama. The character is just a weak direction, just not really worthy. Just no, this is not a happy show or any soap opera. This is just an anime; with too much spicy on its ice cream.

Kosenki's avatar
Mar 24, 2019

Ok, I've wanted to watch this Anime for a long time and since it's the penultimate episode why not do a clear review.

To put it bluntly, Im disappointed with this Anime. It seems very rushed and skips many pages of the original manga. The story is 'good' in it's own way like visually and well-built characters. But the company seemed to think it was a good idea to rush through chapters of the Manga.

Now, I'm not here to blame the company since they're doing their job but the ending is just not satisfying. I'm not here to be one of those cliche reviewers but you will likely get bored with the annoying MC and the female MC.

Spoliers

The MC is so annoying and selfish not to say Rui isn't but he is just stuck with this philosophy of liking his teacher then he goes and get another girl to supposing forget about the teacher. Then we realise that the girl he 'boom boom' with was the sister of the teacher I mean what are the chances?

Rui(the girl the MC did it with) now tells him not to talk about it which then at the end I guess she deserves because he then starts liking the teacher even more.

This anime is like the same tone of Schooldays sprinked with less eroge and death.

You could watch it it's enjoyable but you will not be satisfied.