Domestic Girlfriend

Domestic Girlfriend
Add review
ThisIsAnimeFan's avatar
Mar 15, 2020

Beautiful, This whole anime is amazing. Beautiful soundtrack, perfect story, memorable characters and animations are perfect.

If you love romance you will love this

9.7/10 overall
Dcwh's avatar
Mar 7, 2020

Just gonna keep it short

Felt like I had to make this review cause anime just frustrated me so much as it had so much potential and yet...

Songs and animations were amazing, have a potential to be a 10 but also could have been given a mere 5 instead. Story started off with a good pace then gradually (and suddenly) increased in speed like a plane and eventually take off... Romance animes are mostly about capturing the feelings and emotions of watchers which this storyline would have achieved easily if not for the rushed AND I MEANT RUSHED character developments..

My advice is if you really wanted to enjoy this series please just read the manga instead ... though I am quite certain it will not end in near future as it seemed like the author decided to drag it out after the recent episode which people thought would have been the ending chapter... HERE WE GO AGAIN....

Archert's avatar
Feb 4, 2020

Ñeh...luces un sombras para una serie que intenta arriesgar pero no le sale.

El anime nos situa en un triangulo amoroso donde nuestro protagonista idiota no tiene ninguna duda a quien escoger si se presentara la ocasión, algo que resta interes a la serie. El personaje de la profesora me resulta bastante frustrante, parece una chiquilla con mil pajaros en la cabeza que no tiene nada claro en ningun momento de las serie + lo sigue el un protagonista embobado que no es capaz de pensar en otra cosa que no sea estar con ella.

Un ejemplo claro del anime es como si a nuestro perro le enseñaramos la golosina más rica del mundo y la colocasemos en un lugar estrecho en el que sea incapaz de cogerla pero si olerla y verla, este intentara estar cogiendola dia tras dia por el resto de su eternidad.... Pues asi es nuestro protagonista, se desvive por una chucheria que da mucho asco impidiendole ver otras golosinas.

La tercera pieza de este triangulo es mi favorita, no es gran cosa tampoco pero por lo menos tiene una progreción, y al final de la serie lograras entender un poco más sus sentimientos.

No es una serie para recomendar pero si que me resulto entretenido pese a su infinidad trabas.

7.5/10 story
6.3/10 overall
juniaboi22's avatar
Dec 1, 2019

Domestic Girlfriend is my guilty pleasure.  Sure, the subject matter is quite controversial.  I would still implore you to give it a try.  There is so much emotion invested in each and every character.  And it's when characters make decisions that motivates me to continue watching.  I happened upon the manga quite by accident.  And ended up enjoying it.  So when the anime for it was announced, I couldn't have been more thrilled.  Give it a shot if you're not squeamish about the semi-incestual relationships (they're step siblings, relax).  Plus, there's so much more going on other than love relationships.  Writers and aspiring writers may enjoy this one as well.

ClubFoot's avatar
Aug 1, 2019

We finally have been here since Incest sits on the highest throne in the world. We got “Kissxsis”, “Yosuga no Sora”, “Oreimo”, and “Eromanga Sensei”. In this modern era, future, and humankind has developed more advanced technology, just no coincidence we got many shows like this. So, the premise of the thing about “Domestic Girlfriend” is sex, remarried, incidentally, the pentagram love, and the wincest. After I thought how spicy and how reckless this anime was, I never knew. I never knew the reason why. Just, what’s with this world? Has the horsemen of the apocalypse come down to earth? Are we in a judgment day?

Honestly, I read the manga. The art is pretty good but the story, kind, is just okay I think. So, are coincidence and destiny the most powerful character in this anime? The answer is yes. The fact Natsuo decided to make love with a strange girl he didn’t really know, Rui, was just mindblowing. In fact, she became his own sister and still step never forgetting what their first sex experience was. Worse, Natsuo fell in love with a teacher at his school, Hina, but was coincidental, he was his step-sibling as well. Hallelujah!

It’s the best thing to summarize how great “Domestic Girlfriend”. Sadly, I’m so interested in how the adaptation of the manga from this anime will be very interesting. If only Diomedea could execute it seriously maybe, but they thought that this was just another Sweet Home Alabama. The plot starts with an interesting complicated drama story, about Natsuo’s father who wants to remarry again. Throughout the story, the most thing I took was good, the relationship between this family. I really love it.

But, I also can’t blame Natsuo, can’t blame his feelings, and can’t blame a fact that already exists. Regret is everything and they are eating them. There is ambiguity in himself, a sensitive guy who lacks any experience in love. However, he is the most scumbag, I mean, the luckiest man ever. He gets a lot of harems besides Hina and Rui because he is just so busy to bang with another girl. God, I wish that were me.

Natsuo never realized this was a scum wish, besides relationships between siblings, but also the relationship between a teacher and student. I think we got a lot of anime about the romance between aging gaps. But, why is this so matters? This anime has vague drama between characters you don’t really expect anything with. The transitions often move from one to another character. While Natsuo is banging with Rui and then Hina, he comes across in two choices. But also, it didn’t change the fact that both were very, very, very fond of Natsuo not as a half-sibling.

This anime is controversy, like all anime about incest or whatever, I don’t really see that. I respect one with another character and also like the choices taken by the main characters and heroines. The first arc kind of caught me up because we get a story about infidelity, an adult romance. But, after that, we don’t really get many other arcs besides Momo, the girl with green hair (I forgot her name), and Natsuo’s dream who wants to be a writer. I mean, we also got a gray romance between Natsuo and Rui as well as a love triangle between them. Is this another classic soap opera; but more explicit and have consequences?

But, there is a feeling, a feeling you are very difficult to describe and vent it. That feeling is curiosity. For some reason, we all seem trapped in the same spider web. We break the rule of feeling and love, aren’t we? The 12 episodes didn’t really give a clear conclusion. It was even very difficult for “Domestic Girlfriend”, the adaptation, to be able to capture all of the magic in the manga. I’m not really attached to all of these characters except Natsuo who is very fond of Japanese literature. I kind of relate and understand his feelings.

Speaking of this anime, I have a lot of guilty pleasure for anime but also if I want to talk about it, it might be a thesis. But, I also don’t feel this is one of them because I realized that I was watching this anime. Yet, there is an uncensored version and even one episode of a sex scene. Do I want to watch it again as a reference? Maybe me, or everyone, are so hypocritical. Maybe. The only great thing, to be fair, I really rooted in this anime is the opening theme song. God, I’m freaking love the opening theme song even if the whole show is able to describe it through the visual, maybe there was something wrong.

“Domestic Girlfriend” isn’t an easy experience or an interesting recommendation for some people even if you come across since. There is potential in this show, the story, the character, and the drama. The character is just a weak direction, just not really worthy. Just no, this is not a happy show or any soap opera. This is just an anime; with too much spicy on its ice cream.

reinhart's avatar
Jul 30, 2019

this was a bit of an interesting experience personally for me, the anime itself was good, had good story and characters but due to how the story plays out, there were constantly times of flip flopping in my personal opinion of a character, not that it is in anyway bad it just leads to a different mindset when reviewing it.

The love triangle of the series was good with its intimate moments and high intensity emotional drama, though sometimes it led me personally to be confused on how i should view a character, so in those instances I don't exactly have the right words to describe how that feeling goes, the anime though as I've mentioned was good and the characters and development of said characters was good, but the nature of the anime is to pull at emotional strings and tug you into multiple directions which can leave you a bit confused on how to feel about characters as I was. I feel though that was the intent was to pull at the strings of your heart and emotions in such ways that whilst watching this anime, you wouldn't know who's side to be on or who's in the right or the wrong in the situation. Only pr oblem I can say I had with the anime personally was it got a bit too silly for my personal taste, at least when it comes to such an emotional and story heavy series, it gets just a little annoying, but other then that it was all good, though the ending felt it should of been more, I can understand that the manga goes further in the story then the anime but stopping the anime there felt like it could of been done in a much better spot, but that is my opinion and I hope this review helped.

9.5/10 story
8.5/10 sound
blitzburns4's avatar
Jul 11, 2019

Domestic Girlfriend Review

The following review is for the anime Domestic Girlfriend, and is also known by its native title Domesutikku na Kanojo. It was a 12-episode romance anime that aired in Spring 2019 and is based off the manga of the same name by Kei Sasuga. It was animated by Studio Diomedea, a relatively new studio that has mostly focused on slice of life anime that I’m not really into, but has had a few recognizable adaptations including Riddle Story of DevilCampione!Beatless, and The Lost Village. The creative talent behind this series are all rather new; the director Shota Ihata’s only other outing as director is with Girlish Number, while the series’ main scriptwriter Tatsuya Takahashi has done plenty of work but nothing really notable as scriptwriter except Beatless and Eromanga Sensei.

Doubtless there is already a lot commentary out there on Domestic Girlfriend, and I find myself at a roadblock of sorts over how to articulate on this series’ strengths and faults in a meaningful way without coming across as biased or insincere. First, I’ll admit to anyone interested that I really did enjoy Domestic Girlfriend on an emotional level. I promise I’m not a sexual deviant with any duplicitous affairs in real life, but it still clicked with me. Yes I thought it had serious, fundamental flaws with its identity and execution. Even still, Domestic Girlfriend is a solid and entertaining drama-romance anime comparable with the likes of White Album 2, Citrus, or Scum’s Wish in overall quality and its ability to provide emotional-yet-entertaining storylines.

Spoilers follow.

There is nothing about Domestic Girlfriend too spectacular or disconcerting at any given point, beyond the ridiculousness of its premise of having Natsuo, the main character, living with the very same women he finds himself in a love triangle with as their step-brother. One of the women he pursues, Hina, happens to be older than him and a teacher at his high school, while the other, Rui, is a student his age that he had sex with in the opening scene of the story. How the series doubled down on its taboo “forbidden love” tropes; as if either of said tropes existing by themselves is any more or less egregious from a writing perspective, is I think a major reason why this show garnered so much initial negative attention. More importantly, I think one of the bigger takeaways from the series is that it does end on a rather weak note in its final four episodes, precisely because it explored the most obvious story route that fans had expected coming into it. Natsuo pressures Hina into a consenting relationship and things fall apart when they get caught. But certainly, it can not be derided as a trainwreck for following the exact premise it laid out to its most logical conclusion. I feel much of the overtly rambunctious reactions for this show over how it breaks social norms to be a tad overblown. There are plenty of other anime that break the same social norms, and we specifically watch anime because they are unrealistic and play devil’s advocate with these unique, out-there situations. To be honest, I’d rather not have to pretend that I didn’t enjoy how Domestic Girlfriend's broke social norms and has trashy moments.

And you know what? We all know this one thing to be true, deep down, if you’ve watched enough anime. A lot of the anime we watch could use more sex. I don’t want to sit here and applaud Domestic Girlfriend too much for simply having a lot of openly-sexual scenes in it, because obviously there is more to the story and inter-character relationships than that. But I know I’m not alone in this feeling. Just because practically no one inside or outside our otaku community takes anyone’s sentiments about Domestic Girlfriend seriously, doesn’t mean we can’t still take a minute to applaud it for bucking this seemingly unending trend of will they, won’t they. Incestuous relationships notwithstanding, for all its faults I would argue that we need more anime like Domestic Girlfriend's take on open sexuality. Not less. Most anime just do not show enough intimacy in what are supposed to be their portrayed romantic relationships. And to give the story credit, the series does moderate itself from its worst implulses as it goes on. On a seperate note, I will say that the resemblence to Scum's Wish is certainly uncanny, to the degree that I'm fairly certain the two creators had a mutual influence on each other. Even the polarized reactions in our community to the two shows feels remarkably similar. The two anime are the closest thing we have to twin films as far as I can tell.

Anyways.

This isn’t to say that these voices are wrong in noting the social taboos this anime breaks to draw attention to itself. But certainly over-exaggerated is a term that does spring to mind. It seems to have instead garnered a lot of its popularity from what I can only identify as negative attention; that speaks about Domestic Girlfriend in an almost haughty, patronizing, or outright condescending tone. Go online to the reddit discussion threads—where the top comment, for example, reads, “so its here, the ‘drama’ of the season”. Likewise, take a browse of the top user reviews on My Anime List—where all the top rated reviews are either 2 or 3’s or 8 and 10’s. I sort of dislike the idea of putting myself on the moral high ground here and taking others’ statements out of context, but come on. The show isn’t that bad. None of the conversations surrounding this anime feel measured or reserved, leastways to provide context for what the series does do well. This reputation is incredulous for a story that does, in fact, take itself seriously. Gigguk describes DG as “The Dumpster Fire That He Can’t Stop Watching” and that title has a melodramatic and blatantly attention-seeking ring to it. Yet I’d say his reaction has become the typical one. THEM Anime’s review of Domestic Girlfriend by Allen Moody gave the show one star and he calls it a “horrifying dysfunction”. Manga.Tokyo’s review by Lita likewise calls it a “hot, complicated mess” and she mentions its one of her least favorite shows she’s ever seen. Andy of Anime News network’s This Week in Anime column tells his fellow contributor in his opening statement that “This [anime] is trash. Absolute trash.” though he does go on to have some insightful commentary. For example, he specifically identifies Hina’s simple, blank response of “So?” when Natsuo confronts her about her affair in Episode 3 as powerful. Indeed, I agree that that was a series highlight. It was sort of shocking to hear it, and there was a high level of dramatic tension.

But you get the general idea.

Some more even-handed editorials featuring the show's strengths as well as its weaknesses include Anime News Network's episodes commentaries by James Beckett. Reading his episode braekdowns provides a great look at how the series started strong and had missteps towards its end. ESH’s review by kingbabyduck where he discusses how DG was a “guilty pleasure” is a positive look, as well as TheOuterHaven editorial by Josh Piedra who comes into the show as a huge fan of the manga. Finally, Chris Peach writes an amazing post on his blog where he provides the best commentary on the show’s merits from a grounded perspective, very similar to how I'd like mine to be seen. His stands as the best article I've found on DG. "Even in its predictibility it is fun." He writes, "If every anime were a classic, no anime would be a classic". Interestingly enough, many more conventional outlets like Kotaku or the Ani-Tay, or other prominent anime reviewers on Youtube, have thus far ignored Domestic Girlfriend. My best guess is that they are perhaps trying to avoid the negative publicity, or they wrote it off as a waste of time based off all the negative user reactions to it. By and large, though, this anime seems to be treated as degenerate canon fodder for reaction videos. Which is the same fate relegated to anime such as to Koi Kaze or Boku no Pico. (Which really are disturbing takes on taboo topics). I have not seen anyone make that direct comparison, admittedly, but it seems to me like a sad fate for DG to be relegated to when it is about as entertaining as, say, Kokoro Connect or Angel Beats! And apparently the manga is very well respected and adored by its fanbase. They all keep up with its chapter releases with great interest. So what is going on with all the negativity?

Lets discuss what works.

The first thing that felt good about watching this anime was its first scene. Natsuo, the main character and protagonist of this story, is laying in bed up thinking about his recent experience with an almost blank, melancholic expression. The girl he just had finished having sex with, Rui, starts getting dressed in front of him and he admires her in silence. He had just lost his virginity to her, and presumably, the experience was not fulfilling as hoped it would be. She doesn’t seem to be too thrilled about the tryst, either, and tells him that he shouldn’t expect to ever see her again before basically abandoning him outside. He doesn’t quite know what to make of the experience, and he counsels his best friend to try and find what the meaning of it was. From this explanation, viewers are filled in on the entire day leading up to him having sex with Rui; how he went to school and was feeling down about his impossible chances with a teacher he has long admired and been friendly with. Rejection is a completely understandable and relatable feeling which does help explain why he pursued Rui at the mixer, and why he reciprocated her offer to get together. How Natsuo sees Hina's resemblence in Rui for a split-second signals to us viewers all we needed to know about the attraction. (It also makes sense. They are actual sisters.) There’s nothing exciting or titillating about the rendezvous; beyond the shock we have along with Natsuo at the frank offer Rui makes to have sex. The entire act happens off-screen.

It’s a surprisingly mature opening take.

Already, from the above sequence viewers see characters are established with two-dimensional, ulterior motivations for their various relationships. They see that the writing isn’t simply about sex or fanservice. Subtle and thoughtful character reactions provide some insight to the character’s internal conflicts, like when Natsuo regrets losing his virginity to someone he didn’t know, trust, or love. Of course, this early goodwill is thrown out the window when the ridiculous antics soon set in after his father reveals he’s getting remarrying into the very same family of Natsuo’s fixation, Hina, and the girl he had just had a tryst with, Rui. Domestic Girlfriend then plays this Jekyll and Hyde routine where it bounces back and forth between trying to appeal to both the ecchi fans, who would enjoy something like To Love-Ru or High School DxD, as well as fans of potential "serious" romances like Clannad or Say, I love you. But weirdly enough, this dichotomy between shock-inducing fanservice and grounded romance works for the series' first half. The best scenes, however, embody more of the latter than the former. Scenes like its first one where the romance is more grounded better define this series.

The most memorable moments of Domestic Girlfriend all feature dramatic tension to go along with shock-value moments that play into the perception that Hina is duplicitous, or that Natsuo is otherwise in way over his head pursuing this relationship. Rui is really the only one with any valid reason to be attracted to Natsuo, and discovers her feelings for him during the same timeframe but continually sees herself sidelined by his steadfast focus on courting Hina. (To the aggrevation of just about everyone watching.) I apologize to all the manga-fans who are Hina shippers, but Hina functions much better as an impossible-to-get-with foil for Nastuo and Rui’s relationship than as an tangible romantic interest. In my opinion, that dynamic should have been preserved, not abandoned. Hina gets pressured into an open relationship where she is basically exploited in order to provide livacious hallway makeout sessions and hands-on sexual education for Natsuo at her apartment. At least for the events in the story covered thus far in this single season, the 3-episode arc where Natsuo and Hina begin dating ruins the dramatic tension in the narrative. The best moments, again, are not when Hina is acting as a mere bystander responding to Natsuo's aggressive pursuit of her. When she acts and utilizes her influence over Natsuo to take control of the situation; her actions come across as powerful and sensible. The scenes where she dominates him psychologically in Episode 3, or takes him out into the ocean in Episode 6 to explain how an open relationship would be double-suicide, or when Natsuo hears her moan her ex-boyfriend's name whilst getting herself off in Episode 7, right after we had seen her cry at reading Natsuo's love letter. (Meaning we are unsure if this was an intentional act.) These are the scenes where Natsuo's ridiculous attraction adds a layer of suspense to this drama. I don't understand why she became such a damsel-in-distress positively responding to Natsuo's advaces...Natsuo doesn't really do anything to warrant it. In Episode 8, for example, I thought she was right to avoid him as he overstepped the boundary they had just come to an understanding on in the prior episode.

But those opening scenes where Rui and Natsuo meet, or again when Hina takes Natsuo out on a date, or when Natsuo sees Momo's scars and makes her a home-cooked meal instead of having sex with her, would not be the last time that Domestic Girlfriend showed a surprising amount of thought towards its character interactions. It is quintessential to emphasize that, on the whole, every single scene with Rui and Natsuo together is full of chemistry and subtly-great writing. How Rui constantly communicates her emotions through her expressions, body language, minimal-but-powerful dialogue treats viewers as intelligent enough to read between the lines. It is a testament to the notion that they really are the best for each other despite their messed-up social situation. The best scenes with Hina hit you emotionally harder in the moment, of course, because they accompany unadulterated shock value, (the masturbation scene of Episode 7, or the confrontation scene of Episode 3 where Hina tantalizes his ego) but they also tend to whiff when they don’t involve anyone utilizing basic common sense. I've already mentioned that the ending episodes are chock-full of this: every scene where she abides by Natsuo's advances and reinforces his pandering for attention in Episodes 8-12 was a huge disappointment to behold, and also the two-episode arc where Natsuo embarks to break Hina up with her boyfriend is likewise appalling. I can’t recall a single scene with Rui where that happened. Rui and Natsuo seem to grow together in their scenes, which makes a sort of sense if you think about it because they're the same age and they both begin the story in the same place, experience-wise. As a case-in-point example: even after Rui realizes Natsuo is lying to her, even after Natsuo and her sister's relationship falls apart, even after she comes to terms with the fact that Natsuo probably won't ever reciprocate her feelings, she still supports him. That's a great message about true love.

So Rui is definitely, by far the best girl in my book.

In retrospect, much of worst aspects to the various plot-lines are explored courtesy of it forcing the issue of making Hina and Natsuo's relationship develop. The first cringe moments include Natsuo attempting to take advantage of a drunk and passed out Hina, which really isn’t the sort of thing you do unless you’re pitiful, weak-minded, and manipulative person. Then having Natsuo run into Hina crying the next episode, and acting as a White Knight by becoming combatively involved like in resolving her affair. These early interventions, indeed, made me cringe. (Not for the last time!) The plot didn’t really necessitate Natsuo’s father marrying into Hina and Rui’s family, but that was the easiest way for the author to explain and get everyone to move in together, have Natsuo and Hina become on more intimate terms, and provide its after-mentioned shock-value moments. The idea of basic human decency in closing and locking a door all but disappears.The whole stretch where Natsuo deliberately calls Rui his sister in every scene was facepalm worthy.

I really, really cannot help but feel that this is the author trying to have his cake and eat it too. The main character basically is two different people when it comes to his relationship with Hina versus his relationship with Rui. In the former, he almost feels like the main character from School Days. He’s aggressive, somewhat manipulative, and a borderline deviant pressuring her to pay attention and let him progress from first to fourth base. Episode 8 where he chases her around a festival is borderline atrocious. It is honestly the closest I came to dropping the show. Compare this to the relationship with Rui where it feels much more natural; there is a strong internal logic to them being okay with romantically pursuing each other from the premise that they'd already begun their relationship before the marriage. Rui grows with Natsuo as they come to terms with their conflicted feelings in intimate, meaningful private moments with each other. Compare this to Natsuo's moments with Hina which all feel like a zero-sum game. To me, the scene in Episode 8 where Rui becomes upset when Natsuo tries to pass her along to Alex stands as one of the most powerful of the anime. The anime completely threw away their entire development for its final four episodes outside of its final scene. For the middle part of the series it felt like a true, genuine love-triangle because Natsuo himself seemed to be conflicted with his emotions about Rui. Even so, while the pivot back to Hina was a major frustration, I still felt the manner by which his and Hina's relationship fell apart was unbelievable as it was disappointing. A random picture taken at night during a fireworks show? Are you kidding me? The story kind of shoots itself in the foot by having Hina lose her agency. She didn't even try to deny the accusation that the faculty levied against her.

I haven’t read the manga yet, but I plan to. I really just wanted to jumble down this whirlwind of impressions and emotions on the anime series first, by itself independent of reading the manga, to try to treat the anime series as its own experience. The reason for this is that I hear Studio Diomedea changed a lot in their adaptation and left other stuff out. For example all the character designs also seem to be subtly changed. Most adaptations in general are worse than the source material they are made from. The anime did also have this conclusive feeling to it with where its stopped. Natsuo recovers from his depression and writes an award-winning novel about his lost love and experiences dating Hina. He also rekindles his relationship with Rui at the same time, though I do wish it wasn't that easy to win Rui's affection again. While I'm happy we didn't end the anime series on a cliffhanger, the whole resolution to the external affair felt a bit too inconsequential. Hina definitely showed full committed to their relationship in an endearing way with how she protected Natsuo once their secret was discovered and kept the ring from his promise to marry her. I just wish this relationship felt more warranted. Natsuo didn't do anything to deserve Hina's affection besides be aggressive in his pursuit of her. If I have the opportunity, maybe I can come back to this review and edit my thoughts into it after reading the manga. I know the show had real problems, especially with its weak ending. But maybe those problems will be avoided on a second run through the story with further details. Even still, I do recommend the anime for any interested readers. Just keep in mind that the anime's final four episodes (and ending) are disappointing.

Thanks for reading,

Blitzburns4

P.S. I want to highlight one last time how frustrated I felt seeing Rui left out and ignored, or often even lied to by Natsuo. It really did make me want to drop this series towards the end. It disappoints me that the final message ends up being how the most superficial aspects of relationships ultimately determines them. It isn't able to develop Natsuo and Hina's relationship without having both characters act like different people.

7.5/10 animation
7.5/10 sound
nucl3arGzus's avatar
Jul 5, 2019

For an anime about a boy who wants to become a novelist, Domestic Girlfriend committed a few sins on character development.

Beware, total spoilers ahead.

The premise is interesting: a teenager suffers from unrequited love for his teacher, tries to move on by having casual sex with a girl his age, only to find out that both girls are sibling and that they are going to live with him from now on. It creates a good tension. The fact that the MC's love is living with him makes it harder for him to move on, as now he shares intimacy with the woman; the same goes for the girl he had sex with, making his situation even more confusing and uncomfortable. As if that wasn't complicated enough, she is developing feelings towards him.

This set-up created an incredible environment for character development. But instead, the author just throws it out the window by turning the plot into a mess by the middle of the season.

Besides the premise, every story should have a clear goal for the MC. In this case, the goal is: he wants to date his teacher. So the ending of the anime should be about whether or not he achieved that. During the course of the story, he would have to go through a process of change, either of heart or character. That is how stories are made, and seeing how characters change while they struggle to achieve their objectives is what make stories interesting. Instead, in this anime the MC forces his way through his teacher's heart and achieves his goal by the end of episode 8. Leaving aside the fact that the MC went through no change, the result is that the last 4 episodes are boring, as the show tries hard to create some drama to compensate for a lack of objective.

Now, there are plenty of stories presenting characters that don't go through change, but they normally end badly for the MC. In this case, without change, the character would have ruined his and his lover's life. This is even acknowledged by Hina (the teacher) who says to Natsuo (MC) "are you sure you want to follow this path? To do so would mean committing social suicide, for both of us. Could you do that?". But instead, there are no consequences to their romance (other then they having to be separated, at least for a while). After they have been found out, the teacher transfers to another school, leaving Natsuo and her family behind without word. No charges, no scandal, no reproach – i.e. no social suicide.

In the end, Natsuo suffered a lot. As a consequence, he wrote a prize-winning novel. And he'll be banging the poor younger sister. All's well that ends well.

Because Hina left him, Natsuo was able to write the prize-winning novel. The last episode is not about how his world crumbled into pieces after a sordid affair, but about how the destruction of his world made him rise from the ashes as the phoenix, turning him into an artist. There's even the cheesy quote "Art is born of sadness and suffering". No matter how the author of the anime tries to mask this, the story shifted it's focus. If you break down the last episode into one sentence, it would be something like this: "and to achieve his goal of becoming a great novelist, Natsuo would have to suffer the loss of his first love". You see, even in the review it gets confusing, because that ending would only make sense if the initial goal was "Natsuo wants to become a novelist".

One might argue that Natsuo's goal was always to be a novelist, but that's not true. It is clear from the beginning that what he desires most is to be with Hina. In the first episodes, he is not portrayed as a bookworm/writer. It hints that he likes to write, but that's more a character trait than the objective of the story. Also, he only joins the literary club by episode 5. If he wanted so bad to be a novelist, if he loved so much reading/writing, why wasn't he in the club before? Regardless, even if this was his childhood dream, it was not the goal of this story.

There are many, many paths this anime could have followed that would have made it good. Unfortunately, it seems the author of the series has not been through enough "sadness and suffering", otherwise this might have been a prize-winning piece of art.

This anime had potential, but it was confused about it's own structure. The characters could have been interesting, but they lack development and growth. The plot could have been good, but it lacks consistency. In the end, although the first 4 episodes were engaging, this anime was a train wreck. It turned out to be boring and confusing, and left a bitter taste after it was finished.

nouholdup's avatar
Jun 5, 2019

This review will be on the short(er) side.

Story: Had a solid plot that it stuck with throughout the whole season, which is nice. The plot is slightly messed up, but provides a realistic approach to realistic, messed-up romance. I personally LOVED the ending (I was routing for *her* the whole time - if you know what I am talking about). By ending, I mean literally the last scene of the show (besides credits) that truly showed what was in store with the relationship in the future.

Animation: Good animation. Barely choppy. The color choice was on point. I don't have much to comment on. Great quality over all.

Sound: The voice actors did a great job at bringing the characters to life. Each VA brought out what each character was about. Good overall.

Characters: They were fine, I guess. Not much character development with almost every single character. The only characters with development were Rui and Natsuo. Hina stayed the same throughout the whole story (and no, her final choice does not count as "development."). Hina honeslty just bothers me so much. She's the type of character that makes you want to scream "WTF," as loud as possible to your helpless fish. I like Rui due to her ability to love someone and try to go for him, but not because a sibling had just said they were in love with that person- AHEM HINA COUGH COUGH-. Natsuo changed with certain things, but was completely static with others. Natsuo was a meh. He reminded me almost too much of Motoharu Yano. I wish we could have seen more from other characters. The anime felt almost TOO focused on the main characters.

Overall: I recommend this anime to people who are willing to watch semi-hentai within the first couple minutes of an anime, and that are able to struggle with frustration without bullying their pet cat. I only gave it a high rating due to an ending (that hopefully goes in the right direction in case of a season 2) that left on a perfect note. Okay, I am going to waste the rest of my morning wallowing in my sorrows because I just spent 6 hours of my useful time watching an anime about love between step-siblings. Bye fellow weaboos.

Hidragon5's avatar
Apr 25, 2019

*Spoiller Alert* So, I had really high hopes for this anime. I loved how everything started. It reminded me of "The Testament of Sister New Devil". But in the end it was a let down that everyone in the love triangle are indecisive or just goes with the flow except one. It makes for a good start to a story but then gets old really quick. All in all, it was not that bad of an anime.

Mohaimen's avatar
Apr 24, 2019

If you're into unrequited love, I'll definitely recommend it. And yes, it is on the border of incest as well. This series doesn't follow the stereotypical romance anime plot. This is gonna be more true to life than you can imagine. The protagonist is a person who is not perfect by any means. He constantly makes stupid decisions that are frustrating. But that's the point of the series. In real life, you're not always going to make the right decisions. That is especially true if strong emotions of unrequited love are involved. Not to mention the fact that he does whatever they can to avoid hurting his step sisters. But at the same time he can't keep his feelings in check. Soon you'll be experiencing a plot where the characters constantly make stupid decisions based on human emotions, impulse and more often face the consequences. There are genuine moments of human connections throughout the plot. It also shows how powerful human emotions can be. It's a constant roller coaster of emotions. There are flaws and issues, like most series, but they are easy to ignore.

KillaryaZoldyck's avatar
Apr 1, 2019

El anime presentaba una historia distinta, para los que venimos de un mal sabor de boca de animes como kuzu no honkai o koi to uso de amor no correspondido,pero tanto el desarrollo de escenas como del caracter de personajes lo dejo a medio camino o más bien le quito mis ganas de seguir viendolo, porque desde mi punto de vista, el prota era un Makoto siglo 21, lo único que aprovechaba era la oportunidad que tenia de jugar a 2 puntas con respecto a Rui y a la profesora, nunca marco un límite ni mucho menos se nego a las intenciones o deseos de Rui, sabiendo que él amaba a la hermana, y esto me deja con que ni él sabe que es lo que quiere, o lo que no quiere, cero códigos tuvo y eso que al inicio se lo presentaba de una manera distinta a la que termino...

Justhappydog's avatar
Mar 30, 2019

"Dumpster on fire" - Gigguk.

Domestic-na-kanojo portrays a life of a student who is in love with his teacher. It has got that first bite which makes you go "OH MY GAD!!" and then later on "Damm nibba". Even though the synopsis suggests a really interesting setting for a unique ride, it turns out to be the unexpected. I'm not complaining thou, but it was really unexpected. I don't want to spoil anything, but here we go.

Story (7/10)
The synopsis sets off a rocket, only to get a ship sailed. If you've read the synopsis, your first reaction would be something like "Omg he flucked a girl who later became his stepsister?!". Yes, that's true, but it became completely irrelevant in the future episodes (I don't know about the manga, this review is purely for the anime). The future episodes focus on.... something else. It was not an" outrageous life" for him as mentioned in the synopsis. The pace is not too slow, rather it is really well paced that you might binge it in one day. It just kept me on the hook.
And the ending really cuts you off, as if the videos in hentaihaven gets buffered just when you reach that good part,or an ad pops up (freakin worst thing ever). Its done probably so that you would go and read the manga which currently has 220+ chapters as the time of the review. Just know that you would be left with a cliffhanger and you will surely be hungry for more.
Also the mc wants to become a novelist. Just put this here so that if you want to relate to some novel anime, you can kinda come here.

Animation & sound (7.5/10)
The animation was not so commendable. The important scenes were prioritized, so I can give some points for that but still, from time to time i saw some disfigured eyes and faces.
The BGMs were ok. The opening and ending were good and unskippable.

Characters (7.5/10)
As every drama shows goes, the characters play the important roles. Well, the main characters were given enough flesh to feel them, but the other characters were just kicked out after their part was done in the plot. (Once again this is for the anime, there might be more character developments or involvements in the manga, and clearly 12 episodes were not enough). Its just that the side characters were given too little importance or had little to no influence in the story. Its like watching a drama of three characters and 10 kids dressed as trees. Really, I was kinda disappointed but something just kept me on the hook.

Overall (7.3/10)
I am also a teen, who likes older girls. I also fantasize about my imaginary teacher and I too, always wanted to write a novel about that setting myself. So when i heard about an anime with a student-teacher relationship tag without yaoi or boderline-h tags i was really happy. It didn't fail to satisfy my weird older girl/teacher fetish, but it quite left me on the edge. I unfortunately don't have time to read the manga but I may pick it up when i have some free time.

If you want to see the outrages life of Natsuo and the little sister that he flucked, you wont be getting it in this 12 episodes, but if you want to know how Natsuo's life turns out, or have a teacher fetish like me, you are more than welcome for this show.

7.5/10 animation
7.5/10 sound
7.5/10 characters
7.3/10 overall
Gozza's avatar
Mar 29, 2019

This show has been a guilty pleasure and I've managed to get a few friends involved in this journey. Was it a good show? Not really... But you know something bad is going to happen and your eyes are just glued to the screen because of it. The show is simply put... a hot mess.

Crua9's avatar
Mar 29, 2019

Honestly, this season is feeling like things are just getting started. If there is no other season (which I'm assuming there will be), then I think this wouldn't be much of a watch. But assuming it is, I think this is worth watching when season 2 is out or around the corner.

In a nutshell, the main charater's dad gets mairred to the mom of some girl who he slept with less than 24 hours of finding out the 2 are together and she is the mom of a teacher he wants to be with. As you might guess, anime logic happens and he does end up getting in a relationship with the teacher and the girl. From there out, it becomes a fantastic slow motion trainwreck until the last episode.

There is a number of things I and many others find at fault with this. Like the picture that was taken during the last ep, it physically would've been impossible to get it. Like the picture was taken by someone for a yearbook, they didn't know about taking the picture until going through all of them, and yet it's zoomed right into spoiler. And with the hight and whatever, the person had to be in a crane or on top of a tree to get the picture. The subject was multiple levels up.

Another problem many found is the show skips over a lot of important detail that is in the manga.

One of my personal problems is the show has too much backstory on people who doesn't matter. Like there is an entire epsoide or 2 on back story on people who doesn't matter in this season (obviously, this might pay off later).

Any case, I would say watch the first 2 ep. If you don't care for it by then. Then I highly doubt that will change.

8.5/10 characters
Kosenki's avatar
Mar 24, 2019

Ok, I've wanted to watch this Anime for a long time and since it's the penultimate episode why not do a clear review.

To put it bluntly, Im disappointed with this Anime. It seems very rushed and skips many pages of the original manga. The story is 'good' in it's own way like visually and well-built characters. But the company seemed to think it was a good idea to rush through chapters of the Manga.

Now, I'm not here to blame the company since they're doing their job but the ending is just not satisfying. I'm not here to be one of those cliche reviewers but you will likely get bored with the annoying MC and the female MC.

Spoliers

The MC is so annoying and selfish not to say Rui isn't but he is just stuck with this philosophy of liking his teacher then he goes and get another girl to supposing forget about the teacher. Then we realise that the girl he 'boom boom' with was the sister of the teacher I mean what are the chances?

Rui(the girl the MC did it with) now tells him not to talk about it which then at the end I guess she deserves because he then starts liking the teacher even more.

This anime is like the same tone of Schooldays sprinked with less eroge and death.

You could watch it it's enjoyable but you will not be satisfied.

yaboyclutch's avatar
Mar 9, 2019

So going into this, I didn't how it was going to be. Long story short, I really enjoyed it. I feel the animation and character development was really good. I was instantly hooked.

TforTevdetta's avatar
Mar 3, 2019

story: its like a boring and bad version of Scum's Wish (which is btw super f**king good). they tried to write good character development, but instead you just have shite people doing dumb shite, and everyone is an immature child. While it IS entertaining, and has some decent fan service. the writting just make you hate every character on a deeply personal level. Rui is the only intelligent character. please let this show end soon.

TL:DR, dont write a character development type harem story if every character is just going to be a vapid immature shit disturber.

#wincest #milf #juststop

Watch this show if your out of harem shows to binge and you want drama

Athena95's avatar
Feb 26, 2019

I don't know what exactly I was expecting from this anime, but I guess I'm just hoping anime as a whole is getting better. I'm not speaking about quality or the story, I'm speaking of representation and presentation of marginalized people. Specifically, Marie is presented as obviously transgender but she is played as a joke. We have had beautiful anime portraying trans characters and their struggle and yet, this is going back to outdated tropes and stereotypes. If we have better representation and we stop encouraging the ridicule of trans people, then we can as a culture, or really as many interconnected cultures, move closer to real acceptance.

Step it up.