Dir-en-Grey: Agitated Screams of Maggots - Reviews

Clinginggiant's avatar
Apr 24, 2016

What matters most about a music video is obviously whether the music itself is good or not. Being that this is Dir En Grey, who manage to strike gold basically everytime they enter a recording studio, it's great. The content of the video however, is something else entirely.

Dir En Grey are known for pushing their music videos way past the limits of cencorship. This one is no exception and is one of the more graphic videos they've done. Little girl comes home to find two halves of a small humanoid creature mating on the floor, she pretty much shrugs and curb stomps it, going about her day. Fast forward, it's dinner time and the little bearded fellow has gotten into moms soup. He proceeds to jump into her mouth and her body transforms into an adult sized version of the creature. What follows after this is so nasty it would feel criminal to discuss it.

The animation itself has a very cloudy and dark sketchy look to it. Looks pretty cool but the content in it makes you cringe, ranging from detailed gore to sexual deviation. There's intentional lag (is this the word I'm looking for?) in between shots that adds to the uneasy atmosphere of the video, making it quite haunting. Which means everything is working well animation-wise, seeing as it's all for the shock value entertainment.

Just as it's called Agitated Screams of Maggots, the song has a very agitated and angry feel, and if you know the lyrics then you know that everything is exactly as it should be. Alot of people like the message behind music, but if you're looking for anything positive then just move on because you won't find it here. Vocals; Kyo takes his voice and gives you some of the most pleasently erratic screams you can find in Dir En Grey's genre (Which covers J-rock to Metal), being my favorite Japanese vocalist, he can pretty much do everything vocally under the sun. The instruments are just as erratic and fast paced as the vocals, giving you the ultimate cormfortably uncormfortable song you could imagine.

10/10 Sound and shock value-wise

Twinkietaem's avatar
Jun 18, 2021

Watched for the music type genre in the anime watching challenge 2019

So, this isn't an anime for sure; it's animated not anime but I used this for my AWC19 challenge as a new Dir En Grey fan as something that interested me in the music side of things. As a new fan, I didn't know much about Dir En Grey's past in music past what a friend of mine had told me so Agitating Screams was a bit of a what the hell moment for me. After rewatching it, it's somewhat obvious this is ero-guro style, so of course, not everyone is going to enjoy this unless you have a liking towards body horror artwork and a general liking for rock music or Dir En Grey.

Overall, this is an angry disturbed music video with a lot of strange and disturbing lyrics (most notably: "I'll rape your daughter on your grave"). It is disturbing and my repetition in using the adjective is because there isn't much else to describe it. For me, it's somewhat classic angry-rock with a style in a medium that I very much enjoy reading and watching in anime and manga. I think if you're not keen on ero-guro, this might be very unsettling and even maybe hard to stomach even with the animated style taking it away from a realistic look.

I did enjoy this more as a DEG fan. It's a nice look into their background as a band and to see the stuff they did as they started but honestly; if you're not an ero-guro fan and/or fan of the band, it's probably best if you stay away from it.