Digimon Movie 2: Bokura no War Game

Add review
commonxreaction's avatar
Jan 3, 2019

Anime Bingo Challenge: Winter 2019

There will be spoilers. Watch the things before you try to find out about the things.

Honestly, I never thought I'd be doing a review for this movie. I can't tell you how many times I've watched this movie (17... 18 times). This is literally my favorite movie of all time. So I may be a bit biased. That being said, it's quite a well constructed movie. Digimon, in general, was always extremely good at storytelling and unfolding the plot. We had directions that we were going into and things happened for a reason, unlike some other "Mon" shows. Looking at you Ash. Shape up son. Anyway, i'm telling you right meow, it's a 10/10.

The most interesting thing to take note of is that this series is a test run for what would become Summer Wars. They were directed by the same person, Mamoru Hosoda, and he's gone on record as saying he was testing out this movie as what he could do before committing to Summer Wars. Both are extremely good, in my opinion, and the similarities are glaringly obvious. It's easy to look at Bokura no War Game as a baseline of Summer Wars. There are so many things that are included within both movies. That being said, Bokura no War Game is still the original, and the fact that it includes Digimon only makes it better. I remember going to see this movie in theaters, literally alone, I was the only one in the theater. Everyone else's loss.

Storywise, the best part about this movie is that it's a continuation. It's a direct sequel to Digimon Season 1, and serves as a bridge to to Season 2. They literally even mention the movie in Season 2. I find that to be amazing, because so many movies are simply spin-offs and serve to make money, not to build the plot. So it's plot is a signifiicant part of what ultimately happens. Digimon has always been extremely good at storytelling, and touches on so many deeper things than most "children" series. Depression plays a huge role in 01, 02, and Tri. This movie is no exception.

So we start with the initial concept of there is a computer virus which is spreading across the entire internet. Very modern for the time, we are in the era of the Y2K scare, remember Y2K? Silly white people. Anyway. Digimon has always hinted at the connection between the digital and the real. Season 1 hints at it, and each successive season sort of expands on that. Even now, the most recent games, have basically had the concept of blending real and digiital as the main problem. It's become more of a commentary on our reliance on technology. Initially I never thought about stuff like that. It was more of a stranger in a strange land sort of thing, but it's impossible to ignore how the current Digimon treats the rammifications of relying so heavily on something you may not fully understand.

I'm going a little too far ahead, let's back up. I find it amazing that Tai's mom is such a terrible cook who experiments with things that shouldn't be messed with. It reminds me of Raine from Tales of Symphonia, even though that was several years after this. "It's the first time I've used flour to bake a cake." At the time, when I was a kid, Mom's are supposed to be the superheroes of the kitchen, and yet, here is this lady who struggles.

Moving on, the main problem being that Digimon are causing problems within our technology driven society. Extremely interesting. There is another world, and it's existence is affecting our own. Furthermore, we get the first introduction that not only Japan is affected by Digimon. We start to get world-building, which 02 expands on in the endgame and ultimately leads to what comes after.

Another interesting point is that the Digidestined are so split apart. While 02 and Tri go out of their way to keep everyone together, this movie actually shows that people can't necessarily keep up one another. Everyone has their own problems and obligations, and even though the world is in danger the people who are there to help can't necessarily get together at the drop of a hat. So we have to make due with what we have, a lot like with day-to-day life.

I also really appreciated how much that "lag" played a part in this series. It kept them from "instaneously" digivolving, which was sort of an issue in Season 1. You're over here like, "We got this long cutscene of them evolving, why don't the villains just attack and interupt?" Which we get in this movie. So we start to see that digivolving isn't something that is happening outside of our control.

This movie takes such a huge step forward in bridging the gap between real and digital, it's crazy. We are introduced to the concept that we have to stay connected to the internet to keep fighting. Back in the AOL days, that wasn't even possible. Dial-up is the enemy of mankind. Kids these days will never understand the struggle of that. So we get to the point where the antagonist is aware of how internet works. He can't be hurt if they can't get to him. Attack at the source, and cut off the internet. Now what do we do? This is such an interesting idea. For the most part, Anime have always dealt with direct attacks and him vs her, etc. Having this sort of indirect attack is so much further ahead than the year 2000.

As we reach the final battle, we come back around to the whole "lag" concept. The main characters internet is providing the speed for the Digimon. We aren't just winning because we are stronger, we have to consider other factors. Ironically, this plays into how the movie comes into an end. I always found it to be so interesting that lag played such an important factor, and that Izzy was able to reverse it and use it to their advantage. The fact that Diaboromon is defeated by spamming him is the most amazing thing of all time ot me.

I will always recommend that someone should watch Digimon 01, Bokura no War Game, 02, and now Tri. As a thing to grow up on, they were so well at what they set out to do. So many shows gloss over real problems to cater to the fragility of children, and Digimon isn't one to shy away from things like that.

JadedDragos's avatar
Apr 1, 2019

Plot for this one was a great plot. Instead of the main battle and situation taking place on the digital world it takes place in the real world, only looking through a computer. Still has the main characters and what not, just a slightly different playing field. I liked this plot a lot. It felt like a real situation, even though it wasn't, but something that could happen.

Animation for this movie was awesome! Had the older style that I like along with what looks like early CGI (computer world and battles). Those combinations made this anime great. Sound as well was exceptional. Music throughout the movie as well as the ending and opening theme were something great to listen to (original version, not US version).

Characters interacted fine in this one even though it was only 4 of the main ones out of 8. If you have seen the First movie and the first series then you don't need any background on the characters, but then again you would probably like them without knowing who they were completely anyway.

Overall this is a great movie to watch for any Digi fan, I would definitely recommend for anyone.

kakaobito69's avatar
Dec 15, 2015

I love this movie a lot and I loved the epic battle and kind of sad ending,but why was their rocket in their.

CaseyJewels's avatar
Nov 14, 2015

This is a great movie that had me on the edge of my seat, even though I've seen it many times and knew exactly what was going to happen.

The events here are a fun story inserted between Adventure and 02, but it actually is referenced in 02 as how Yolei became a Chosen Child (and she can be seen for a few moments in this movie) which is cool.

The story is really heartfelt, and the stakes are quite high. I loved how they decided to go with a threat to technology/the Internet, as you would think Digital Monsters would affect that more. I also think it really helps to show just how close the children are with their Digimon, as the emotions were just as real behind a computer screen as they would have been if the children were right there

I also liked seeing how the children's lives were progressing as they went back to living in the real world. It's sad how the group drifted apart a little (as even mentioned by Izzy, I believe), but I think this movie also shows that they can reconnect that bond in moments of distress.

Other than Kari. I can't say I liked too much how she was portrayed in this movie, as she's usually a selfless character. However, I'm not sure she was fully aware of the situation, as Tai never once said to her it was a Digimon emergency and that the world was in trouble. All he told her was to come home.

Also, it was nice to see Mimi spending some time in Hawaii, as it makes her move to the US in 02 seem a little less abrupt.

As for Sora... I'm not sure when this movie was made in comparison to 02, but why tease us with Taiora only to change their minds in 02 and have Matt making a move on her?! Yes, Sora and Tai were fighting for most of this movie, but they were so cute in their fighting, and they have more chemistry together. I find it hard to believe Sora would have been so upset by Tai's present if it wasn't for the fact she liked him. Otherwise, I don't think she would have cared that much; she was never the petty one of the group.

Now, for the animation... Same thing I said with the first movie, as these have identical styles. It's not that I dislike the style, and it does make the characters look rather cute at times, but it feels lazy and/or rushed. Also, while it worked fairly well for most of the Digimon, Kabuterimon just looked plain ugly in it.

Overall, it's a great addition to the Digimon franchise, was very heartfelt, and while it's such a small detail, I love that Yolei was included.

Thrawn's avatar
Jun 26, 2013

Story: Holy shit guy, holy fucking shit. This plot man, it's like you just knocked out a lion with your balls. It's that fucking kickass and right now, I'm referring to that fucking kickass final fight, which is a total digiboner. Two digiboners actually. Man, that fight alone? Makes it 11/10 for being so fuckballs amazing and the pinnacle of everything thus far. Totally kicks the shit out of the next Digimovie and the second season for being so pimptastic and just so damn awesome.

So fucking amazing that it's worth watching for that moment alone.

So amazing.

Alright, other stuff. Seriously,  I didn't even know this second movie was the second movie, I thought it was the first or something and was wondering what the hell was going on until I done some spelunking and found it was what it was and wasn't what I thought it was. That doesn't change much and the plot's pretty good all things considered. Gives a reason on why Mimi is out of the show and given 10 seconds of screen time (7) and Joe is being Joe, doing shit that doesn't involve saving the world or being useful to the team. He's just doing Joe stuff and screw him, he barely gets any screentime and that's for the better of the picture.

Now, what does work is that fuck balls awesome fight and it's all thanks to a digidigimon. Or digimon, but on the computer making it twice as digital. I'm sure it's legit and all, and it's after the first season because everybody's grown up and Kari and Sora are as adorable and lovely as ever. Both needed more screentime. But the plot, pretty impressive considering how short the kids movie is. I really enjoyed myself with it, and the subplot between Tai and Sora, that shipping is always good because that ship is one of the best.

I haven't really talked about the plot that much but seriously, it works. Fits in with the Digitheme of the series, works with the mythos, leaves a sequel hook with some tool named William who so isn't one of the original 6 and it doesn't just shoehorn everybody in for shits and giggles. It's not some reunion where everybody is there and it's convenient for them to join up again and kick some digiass. It has that realistic feel to it, normal life that impedes with saving the world and when they do get to it, it isn't buttery smooth. It's rocky, like a bunch of rocks. Gives them conflict and ways to find resolutions, mixes it up a bit and makes it more engaging.

But it needed more Sora and Kari. Way more Sora, and that is a grevious fault. Very, very grevious. But again, and I repeat, less Mimi and Joe. That's pretty damn good if you ask me.

Animation: Oh my god that last battle. That, oh boy that was my shit right there. It looked good enough to lick. It looked so damn good! And that extends to the digi- internets? Inside the computer but not in the digiworld, it had that Summer Wars vibe (A movie I haven't seen and came out way after Digimon Movie 2) and looked really good, like the colours blend together without lines. The enemy's design appealed to me as he digivolved and lasers are always cool. The animation outside was pretty sound, considering it's a kid's movie. And Kari was adorable of course, that factors in heavily. 50% minimum.

Sound: Was it this one with the Digitheme remix, all that rap and shit? Totally jived with this cat, ya dig? I liked it, liked the music that called back to the first season, liked the voices and the sound was pretty groovy overall.

Characters: Kari, TK, Matt, Izzy and Tai, with Agumon and Gobumon- Gurumon at the forefront with Mimi and Joe mostly out of the picture. The only way this could get a perfect 10 was if Sora was at the forefront too.

Overall: 8, 9, 8, 9... 8. Pattern! But really, solid stuff and if I could rate it on Kari, it'd- Oh, wait, I almost forgot, she narrated some of it! 8.5! Know what? Sound's 8.5 too! Yup, totally biased for Kari. Movie's real damn good and probably hails the end of the Digiera. And once more, that final battle. That alone gives this 11/10 but it doesn't accept 11s.

8.5/10 sound