Detective Conan - Reviews

Alt titles: Case Closed, Meitantei Conan

noname0302's avatar
Aug 18, 2014

Detective Conan...This is one anime, that Im sorry to say, but I actually dont like it. Even so, I consider it good. Let me explain.

Detective Conan is about a teenage detective, who gets turned into a child and continues solving cases like that. Simple enough. The main plot(him wanting to turn back) evolves really slow, while the subplots(the cases taht need solving) are actually pretty short. This is a fine way to keep everyone interested. And to be honest, a cases are actually pretty damn good. So the story is fine. 8/10

Animation: its probably the weakest point of the series with realy outdated and in my opinion ugly charcater design. The backgrounds actually look good, but the characters are just plain bad. The animation is fluent and the coreography of fight scenes is good, but still its a let down. 6/10

Characters: we hav all sorts of them. Which is obvious, because all caces differ, thus the characters constantly change, we have some main characters and an army of episodic ones. To be honest, theyre likeable. The male lead is good, the secondary character are a bit mentally challenged sometimes, but just sometimes. 8/10

So why dont I like it? It has pretty good characters, the story is interesting enough, the animation is acceptable, it should be a pretty nice watch.

My biggest problem with it is that I found it too late. If I had found it years ago, I would have liked it. As a child, it would have been one of my all time favorites, but as a 23 year old, it just seems childish. However interesting the cases and plots may be, they cant compensate for the fact, that even though we have a glimps of darkness now and then, the whole show seems immature. I highly recommend the show for children and for parents ho want their children to actually use their brain for something useful, but I cant recommend it for adults. Ill be fair and try to view this throught the eyes of a youngster, so the overall is 7.5

PS: I havent talked about the fact that the show is too long. The prolong everything as much as possible. I suspect that this is(like usually) just so they can squeeze of more money out of the franchise.

iScreamParty's avatar
Apr 22, 2010

Detective Conan is one of those animes that will make you start guessing, thinking, and probably develop your logic at some point. The only problem is that Conan is seriously really, really long, and at some points, we might get unmotivated to watch it episode by episode. Some of it is episodic, others are not, which makes watchers afraid to skip several episodes in fear that they might miss a story to the bigger plot.

However, the good thing about it being so long is that they’re so many hard cases with interesting conclusions that for those of you who enjoy Detective movies/animes, like me, it never gets old. In fact, I’d say that Conan is the best detective anime I've ever come across. The bigger plot is also well thought out and interesting, clues and hints sometimes coming out of smaller plots to form an "invincible" organization vs. Conan (or Shinichi).

The sound is the best, well known voices could be heard for Shinichi and Conan's characters, the emotions are portrayed thoroughly thought them too.

Minor or cameo characters like Kaido Kid never fail to amaze you, they're tricks are broad and though you might think you can spot a pattern in the cases, there's always this one or two episodes that breaks the pattern completely.

barryhansen5's avatar
Mar 29, 2011

This is one of the longest running shows for a reason.  The plot is always original and keeps you interested in the characters. It takes a serious murder mystery and wraps it in a fun and quirky half-childish shell.  I highly recommend this one.

xxjacobxx3's avatar
Oct 16, 2010

Detective conan is super good because it has that "smart/deduction element". On top of that they throw in some scientific (probably not possible, but not like magic) stuff on top of all the other realistic stuff, but make it sync good.

For me though... I dont have time to watch all the episodes, so what I have done is found a link where someone has outlined the main story episodes and only watch those. The way this anime is set up is that it has a lot of case stories with the main story mixed in there. The not-main story cases are awesome, but quite frankly there are just way too many for me, and maybe for a lot of you others out there.

Here is the link that i have went by so far.

My advice is start watching it from the beggining until you get the feel for how it plays out, then skip the stuff you dont want to watch.

The only reason i didnt rate it a 10 is because I think it would be more successful if it only focused on the main story line more... because the creators of this anime are talented (smart) and can design complicated plots... so I would like to see a lot more of the good stuff... instead of it watered down with all the extra cases.

Thats my advice.

Oddities1991's avatar
Jul 8, 2016

I love Detective Conan. I've been watching it for almost as long as it's been running. I always want more and I always save episodes so I can do marathons later on. I'm currently caught up with the entirety of the anime and can't wait until the movie comes out here in the US. This is one of my top 10 anime, and for good reason. From story to art, the Detective series of the decade is something you definately shouldn't pass up just because it has somewhere over 800 episodes.

One note I will leave you with, though, is to please, PLEASE just watch the subtitles. I support dubs as much as i can but Case Closed is one translation of Detective Conan that really, really shouldn't be allowed on the market.