Detective Conan Movie 7: Crossroad in the Ancient Capital - Reviews

Alt title: Meitantei Conan Movie 7: Meikyuu no Crossroad

Lukeh34's avatar
Sep 13, 2020

Not my FAVORITE Detective Conan Movie, but it certainly was a fun watch! As an English speaker from America with limited knowledge of Japanese language and cities, I still enjoyed some of the more complex tricks even if some of it went over my head. I never knew I needed sword fights as part of the DC Franchise, but those fights were certainly welcome! The CGI motorcycle chase scenes were also way cooler than I was expecting.

As with most DC, there are certain things you need to suspend your disbelief for and just accept. Once you jump over that hurdle, you enjoy everything so much more. Why does Heiji have a kid-sized motorcycle helmet? How much of Heiji and Kazuha's childhood friendship two-sided? Could Ran be any more forgiving of Shinichi's perpetual absence? If you don't let those sorts of things bother you, all the "doki doki" moments and general character relationships feel just so rewarding.

If you like Detective Conan, you will LOVE this movie. If you're new to the franchise, welcome! I suggest starting with an earlier movie, but this film can completely stand alone and you won't feel too much confusion.