Descending Stories: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - Reviews

Alt title: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen

MetalTsundere's avatar
Feb 27, 2018

BLACKCRTICCTGUY...FORNEVERWORLD...SOUALANIMATION...WESTERN OTAKU..ANIMEKINGDOM.. some anime reviewers there .I'm not overacting but you need to watch this

First of all let me say I can't believe something like SAO is more popular than this, It's not that I'm being bias but this show is really something, I got some reasons, It copuld be personal but still I really enjoyed it.

The Story is simple, Yotarou has now obtained the name Sukeroku and now he's trying to search for his own Rakugo while dealing with his past and his present life, one thing that I like is that the story itself is not rushed, every episode is really juicy as for the 24 minutes you thinks that It's somewhat short.

On top of that the theme of the story is really matured, which is Ironic because the heart of the story is Rakugo a type of commedic story telling if I'm correct.

What I like the most in this series is the characters, everyone is not perfect but that what's make them perfect, my personal favorite is Yota the MC, don't let it distract you from his loud mouth and happy go lucky attitude for he is actually one of the most matured characters I've seen, the way he handles things especially for his family and his love for rakugo is really great, and him being sukerorku is really heartwarming, he went from a former prisoner to someone who gives people laughs.

now we got Yakumo, what makes me like this old man is how he deals with things, he thinks carefully before he acts, and yes he acts rude sometimes but deep inside he's a really nice guy

among the rest what I can say is they all have their fair share of screentimes, for instances Isao Kido the mafia boss he is a minor character so his screentime is fit for a minor character but at the same time his not just there.

and true everyone has their secrets but I think it's a good way because I think ssying answers to the end isn't always the right thing to do to conclude an anime, it's like they all have dark past but they are ready to move on.

and again the fact that they didn't rely on fan service to promote an anime makes me enjoy it even more.

Sound and Animation.
Perfection I guess..I love the combination of jazz and traditional music, It's pretty interesting, and really appriciate all the VA's here, especially Yotarou in episode 3, damn It's not easy to speak in fast paced.
The Art is pretty special I love each and every desgin, my personal favorite is Higuchi

Enjoyment and Overall
while It's true that It's not an anime for everyone I think you should all try this, It's something that Is not cliche, and you'll really learn a lot of life lessons here,

DrakeChandler's avatar
Jun 25, 2018

Not everything comes to us naturally nearly as often as we like. At the end of Winter 2016, I wrote my initial review of the first season of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu immediately. And at the end of Winter 2017, I tried to write a review of the second season, but I never knew what I wanted to say. The unique style of storytelling of the first season lent itself to a review that could focus solely on that aspect. But season 2 of Rakugo is so much more streamlined in its presentation. The sense of narration from a storyteller, as we saw his story brought to life, is absent. And yet season 2 of Rakugo is still exponentially more compelling than its first season—which was already a masterpiece in and of itself.

But I have always felt like this whole series is mostly about time more than anything else. And it took well over a year to figure out that subject matter is my thesis. The first season ended on a cliffhanger as to whether rakugo as art was ever going to survive the upcoming decades; but we, as an audience in reality, know quite well that it has. That was never a mystery and the show doesn’t treat it like one.

In fact, Yakumo does see it changing. It’s true that he made a promise to Sukeroku to let rakugo evolve, and that’s why he took on an apprentice. But that never meant that he has to like doing it. The simple matter of fact is that he’s a stubborn, grumpy old man because the art he dedicated his life to isn’t what it used to be. And let’s be honest, that can reflect on all of us in some way or another no matter what our age is.

Meanwhile, everyone around him is trying to offer a helping hand, but that can only come in the form of changing his ideology. It’s an uphill battle for everyone. No one wants to see Yakumo die miserable in a world he hates, and Yakumo doesn’t want the world he hates to influence his favorite art after he’s dead.

Reality spoke as to what side wins out in the end though a long time ago. And so once again this series exercises its magic to engage in the drama of characters of whom you mostly already know the outcomes. It’s less so this time, as season 2 is in the present within its context; but the theme remains all the same.

And that theme has always been time all along. This show is patient with its audience and expects us to be patient all the same. We go through the entire lives of several characters, so we can see how time has affected them and what the time they’ve spent living, struggling, failing, screaming, laughing, loving, and pursuing their dreams has meant to them. That was not a magic hook that could be communicated in just one season as that was only the prelude to all of the actual development in their characters that happens this season.

Season 2 of Rakugo is the reward anyone could have dreamed it being, and infinitely even better than that. It’s paced so perfectly well that there’s nothing more to add. It delivers an experience that’ll compel you to enjoy it, be moved by it, cry with it, and most importantly, reflect on your life alongside it. You can describe the act itself, but that feeling transcends words.

shellshock123's avatar
Mar 20, 2022

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu | Descending Stories Season 2 Review. Spoilers for Season 1 + S2EP1-2

https://anilist.co/review/15670 Review for Season 1

With the flashback finally over we can get back to the main story. Our MMC is continuing to rise up in the ranks of Rakugo. His shows being more and more popular. Him becoming more and more successful. The MMC2 (Yakumo) is having his old age catch up to him. The FMC gives birth and the story moves on. We learn a little bit more about the MMC's backstory and his Yakuza related people. His relationship with the FMC also becomes more romantic but in a subtle way.

Before I start talking about this series, I do wanna talk about my previous review as well. When I wrote my original review, Something happened that hadn't happened in a long time. Something I forget happens when I write my reviews. I pissed some people off. I had gotten too comfortable. However there is a distinction in comparison to my previous reviews that I my previous review was positive. It ends with me saying that you should watch the series. So why are people are riled up?

Well from what I can tell the problem is the fact that I did not analyze the series enough. There is a lot of nuances and subtlety in play in here that is going way over my head. Unlike most people that are just spouting shit there was someone that explained what they meant instead of copy pasting words they found in the dictionary. Honestly, I don't particularly about that stuff either. Which I feel is a fair assumption to make. You can write 70 pages on why the main character is wearing a blue shirt but that doesn't make it more interesting or more enjoyable to watch. That is the difference. I do like understanding the nuances and the little details but these are still little details and I don't think they are enough to justify it being a masterpiece.

I do appreciate the show a bit more now but not enough to change my overall score of the series. For example The impact of the war are not bashed into you like other media. The effects are simply shown. Japan fought a good fight and lost. Shouwa Rokugo's silence in scenes speaks volumes though. No one ever says "I'm sorry". They know. Its still a solid 7.5. Still something you should watch at least once. But Its also dragged down by stuff that I frankly just didn't give enough of a shit about.

This series however is... mildly worse than Season 1. I really liked the character dynamics of Yakumo and his best friend but the MMC doesn't have that kind of relationship with anyone. He has a closer relationship with his master (Yakumo) but that didn't really scream a strong dynamic. Its good, great even, but nothing on the level of Yakumo and his shounen rivalry.

There really isn't anything major that happens in the series that I can't really say without spoilers. I mean I liked the characters. I enjoyed the story, The relationship between the characters in a nice way without it feeling like they needed a major catalyst to change there relationship. I also especially got bored around episode 8. Which is why I considered the series mildly worse. To me this where the series kinda ended and we are just in this incredibly long epilogue. There is also the issues of Shin's father that gets kind of addressed and I really hate what the author has done with this question. Fuck the author.

Like I said I felt bored after episode 8 and the reason for that is just I stopped enjoying the SOL moments of the series. I liked them in the first season yeah. But here it just didn't do enough to keep me entertained. I kept waiting for the main story to hit.

Writing this review I feel confused. I did like most of the series. There is some random garbage here and there but a lot of what other people told me also feels I'm missing something about the series. But I also feel like that's bullshit. Not that I missed anything but the fact that me missing something would completely change my enjoyment of the show. Again I want to state I quite liked the series. It falls somewhat in episode 8 but its not a big deal. I still think the series is great. Even after finding out what I missed about the series I'm indifferent. I feel like people are putting too much strain on the fine details like how I'm focusing on the technicalities of the show sometimes.

In the end I don't know. I don't believe I watched the show wrong. The author does not decide how his audience perceives and views his show. Otherwise everyone would have the same fucking opinion on everything and that's just not how it works. Look at like this. I don't care about the small details and the relative bullshit that people seem to be making up about the series. But lets also add that I'm completely wrong for having these thoughts. I still think the series is good and something worth watching. You can just enjoy the surface value of what the show has offer. What I'm trying to say is...

Watch the series. Its good. 7/10