Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Movie - Mugen Train - Reviews

Alt title: Kimetsu no Yaiba Movie: Mugen Ressha-hen

kotokuki's avatar
Nov 30, 2020

I saw this in theaters in Japan.

So firstly definitely recommend seeing it in theaters. The screen really does it justice. THEIR EYEBALLS ARE BEAUTIFUL.

If you're going to watch it in Japanese (which is totally doable as a non-Japanese speaker myself) I recommend reading manga chapters 54-66 (chapter 69 is where I think it should've ended but *shrug*). It is identical to this. This'll let you skip the subtitle-wait if you so choose.

So the artwork of the characters are beautiful, but some of the CGI + 2D animation style was a little funky. It gave an uncanny valley feeling due to the realism background, CGI demon-y stuff and the style of the original art for the characters. Literally, my only problem. The 2D character designs are stunnnnniiinnnnggg. I'm so happy with that the choreography and movement, but jeez that CGI and even sometimes the background clash.

Sound track is on point. I became hyper aware of the soundtrack during perfectly executed moments with certain character buildups.

Comic relief was perfect and the characters were true to form.

If you like the anime you'll like the movie. Easy as that.

I'm super happy I saw it in general, but especially on a big screen.

PS If you're not reading the manga but want to continue watching the next anime season, this is a must-watch movie. It's not a filler movie you can ignore, it has influence over the next season. So add it to the list.

Harmfuls's avatar
Nov 11, 2020

Film seen on a huge Imax (the biggest in Japan), and it was a good idea, I recommend you to see it in excellent conditions.

For the story, I won't go into it, it's just the sequel to the anime, and it's inevitable to watch it if you like the series.

The animation is an incredible, I don't have the words to describe how much I loved it. Whether it was the colors, the movement, the choreography and especially the fights, it was amazing.

Unexpected but a lot of humor throughout the film, we laughed a lot!

(I try to put more than 10 to the animation score)

9.9/10 overall
ferengi4's avatar
Apr 30, 2021

I don't understand why it needed a theatrical release for what was basically a mini-sequel to hold us over until season 2 came out. It was fine, it was more demon slayer. Budget wasn't that great for being a film, with some pretty poor tv grade CGI. Pretty subpar for being a Ufotable movie in terms of animation and sound. It's much like One Piece/Bleach/Naruto movies in terms of quality.

But if you like Demon slayer, then you're gonna like this *Shrugs*

Ibmthi's avatar
Apr 26, 2021

If you have seen other shounen anime or simply other live-action films like the MCU, it's going to be hard to top those. This film delivers amazing visuals, but it is one of those stories that is more about the emotion than the logic of the plotline, which doesn't sit well with people like me. There were various scenes in the film where beneficial things happen to the protagonist and I reacted with "No, that's a little bs."

In essence, this Demon Slayer film and the franchise as a whole is the anime/manga equivalent of what you get when you emphasize graphics/action over the plotline.

Isobellie7's avatar
Feb 26, 2021

This movie was AMAZING.
Just saw it last night subbed in cinema and it completely blew my mind.
I laughed and I cried. This movie was so well done and I enjoyed every second of it. Would definitely pay to go see it again. Demon Slayer never fails to impress!

Highly recommend.