Delicious in Dungeon - Reviews

Alt title: Dungeon Meshi

yaoibookclub100's avatar
Apr 20, 2024

Only deducting one point from the 10 because there is *some* material in the manga that adds a lot of nuance to the characters and story that is glossed over or cut entirely in the anime without adding in new material to supplement the losses. The music, animation, and voice acting add a lot to the magic so I would still recommend reading both the anime and the manga if you love this series. I LOVE YOU DUNGEON MESHI!!!!

Xdust5's avatar
May 31, 2024

I've been so numb to the world for so long I accidentally sliced open my hand the other day and only noticed when there was blood all over the floor and my jeans and the only thing bringing light into my world is this show. 10/10

Kazeoni's avatar
Apr 9, 2024

Went into this show completely blind. Honestly, I thought it was going to be a lot worse than it actually turned out to be.

Overall, I have found this show with the time of this review to be very entertaining. There are, however, unfortunately, a lot of things that kind of ruin it at the same time.

Spoilers ahead.

The start of the show is actually rather dark. With an individual who we are in introduced to, and basically implied to be someone very important to one of the main characters. This individual is eaten by a large red scaled dragon, while pushing another character out of the way. we vent learn that the digestion process is apparently very slow and these characters are going to try and work their way back to the base of the dungeon where the dragon is located in hopes of rescuing their Fellow character. I feel that the show drags on in a few aspects, despite the fact that they are apparently supposed to be moving rather quickly.

I feel that the too much time on some of the cooking bits over the primary plot point, which is basically a rescue mission. Now I understand why they did this. After all, this is the primary premise of the show. Doing food related things while gathering plants and creatures native to the dungeon.

The majority of the characters are all quirky and interesting in their own ways.

Some of them better than others.

The for all intensive purposes "group leader" in my mind is probably one of the weaker links. Given the fact that he seems to be almost obsessed with eating the majority of the teachers that they find or fight. Some of which it makes sense. Others not so much. not only that but his obsession seems to border on the irrational at times. Where he develops a look on his face that almost looks like a drug user looking forward to their next hit.

The majority of the other characters all have their ups and downs. The groups I guess you could say scout who is basically the universe equivalent to a hobbit is likable, but rather moody and self-serving in many ways. He's very good at his job, but it's quite clear that until later in the story he doesn't really see the other party members as associates he sees them little more as a payday.

The groups mage in my mind at least is probably the best of the bunch. A character that tries to be basically the voice of reason throughout the majority of the story, especially with most of the other characters. She's the only one that largely seems to either question or just get the most irritated out of all of them. She's probably best described as the heart of the group but at the same time she's not perfect.

The final member of the group is actually a relatively new addition. This individual having worked around the dungeon for a very long time and really knows his stuff. However, at the same time like the group leader, he seems to have an almost unhealthy obsession with turning the various monsters and stuff into food items. However, he is very good at this acting as the groups primary chef.

all in all at the time of this review, which the show is still ongoing, I can say that the show is good. With the story being rather nice if not being a tad formulaic. With some of the episodes consisting of a "of the week" type of thing. But overall, it's a entertaining thing to watch. So if you're a fan of dungeon crawler type shows or you are a fan of shows that do lot of cooking and such you may enjoy this show a whole lot.

Alezandra's avatar
Apr 12, 2024

Anything that features cooking and food always attracts so this show was right up my alley.

Side note, the food they are preparing do not have the typical ingredients but all ingredient-adjacent to real life food for example, an insect type looking lobster is cooked as such, and another snake-headed chicken is roasted like a chicken.  One of the unique food items they did were the jewel bugs which they made kebabs/crispy on a stick type of food.  We had those mollusk type monsters turned ala oysters.  They all became very delicious.  As we go to each episode, I am looking forward to what they will be cooking.  There's even gardening, this show definitely is just enjoyable food-wise.

What I didn't expect that it has a good adventure storyline as well. All the characters are distinguishable and you get to see their traits and quirks as the story progresses. I particularly love Senshi in this show - I am definitely inviting him to cook for me. His shield turned wok is a definite must-have. Now where can I find one? Hmm...:P

As the show progresses, we get to understand more about the dungeon and what secrets it lies, and you get to root for our adventurers. There are also new side characters being introduced which feels like an inference of possible adventures or misadventures with them.

Looking forward to watching more Delicious in Dungeon.  Now I'm off to eat, coz talking about that lobster is making me famished for some seafood.

Blazeyy's avatar
Jun 16, 2024

This won't be a fully fleshed out review, so apologies.

Just wanted to say, Dungeon meshi is decent fun but not anything extraordinary. The first half of the series is pretty solid, there's a few story moments I didn't care about, but largely, it's good fun and feels like they're working towards a goal. As the series reaches it's middle point, the goal post moves a bit, and in my opinion, it drags way too much with filler episodes that aren't that entertaining. There's still some good cooking episodes, but damn, there's a lot that I'm like "this is just pointless filler". The introduction of cat girl feels largely unnecessary as well, I understand why she was, but like, she doesn't add to the dynamic. Characters in general just feel shallower as the series progressed and I had a hard time caring about them.

Overall, I feel like the introduction of the elf characters and the second group should have been introduced and interwoven a lot sooner to create tension in the lull moments and to not let the second half feel like it's dragging. There's at least 6 episodes where I'm like "none of this was necessary or that fun", which is a bit of a drag.

It has so much room for improvement that I'm left a bit disappointed and feeling"EH" towards it. Looking forward to season 2 though, the elf characters seem awesome.