Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody

Add review
Starletka's avatar
Mar 4, 2018

STORY:

A completely ordinary guy gets teleported into a strange RPG world, where he becomes a teenager and jumps 300 levels in the first 2 minutes, and as he proceeds to make his way through the strange land, on every corner he meets cute girls who fall madly in love with him.

Oh. You've ... heard that before, have you? Well, maybe that's because this is yet another generic MMORPG/isekai anime with absolutely nothing new to offer, save for some jail time maybe, because most of the girls in the MC's harem are underage. As for the plot itself, there's no tension, no drama, no suspence, no nothing, because the OP protagonist manages to dodge every problem the moment it appears, so instead of an actual interesting story and world-building, we only get a few empty, predictable fights and the rest is spend on building a harem.

ANIMATION:

Nothing flashy or eye-catching. All it has to offer is bland scenery and moe characters, while the MC himself looks like he walked straight out of a yaoi show.

SOUND:

Whiny. Voices. I'm talking extremely annoying, high-pitched, nails on board voices. And voice tics, goshujinsama, nanodesu. Again, the MC not only looks like a yaoi protagonist, but he also sounds like one.

The soundtrack doesn't stand out at all, and even the opening and ending are generic and forgottable. Really, the only melody that's memorable is the one that plays at the next episode preview.

CHARACTERS:

Lolis. Lolis everywhere.

The MC is as bland as they get. He pretty much has no personality whatsoever, but the show keeps trying to persuade the viewer that he's a good guy by doing mundane things. The only important thing about him is that he's not a lolicon; or so he keeps saying when one of his lolis flashes him or asks for a kiss. The lolis themselves don't have any personalities either, if you don't count "being cute, nanodesu" as a personality trait.

OVERALL:

If you like lolis and don't need a plot, go for it. If not, steer clear of this.

Watched for the Anime Lottery Game WINTER 2018

1.5/10 story
1.5/10 overall
Ryukami's avatar
Mar 17, 2018

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody is about a game developer who get's transported into a world that is similiar to the two games he is currently developing and becomes stupid high level almost instantly and his adventures with his harem, which consists of girls he has no interest for.

Hey look at that, an UI you can use with your mind, I wonder why a certain other game anime uses hand gestures?

The way magic incantation is implemented is cool, because it uses a different language than what Ichirou has learned, it sounds like sped-up machine talk.

Slavery is bad, but since this different world has slavery I might as well participate.

Minor bad things: The eyeball demon has an insufferable voice. Some scenes feel rushed.

I don't know how faithful this anime adaption is to the novel, but having read some of the manga I can tell that the show deviates quite a lot and some story/world building is different/altered as a result, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that, it's just that in my opinion a lot of important nuance is lost in the process.

Story is simple yet intriguing, Ichirou becoming level 310 allmost as soon as he enters the other world removes emphasis from the combat a little bit and Ichirous adjustment and daily life in this fantasy world alongside the people and friends he meets becomes the driving force of the show.

Animation is good, but some of the cg is poor and a few scenes lack key-frames and/or proper in-betweens, the visual blur effect when Ichirou has internal monologues is awful and feels unnecessary.

Soundwise we have very fitting fantasy music, but at times it feels out of place and some scenes lack sound effects like the first golem encounter.

Characters are at times lacking, but are still believable and have potential.

And now some bonus moments from the show: When Ichirou is coding a game he is developing, he forgets it's name. Ichirou uses the forbidden "we can patch it later".

Unlike some other reviewer(s), I don't judge/rate a show based on the fact that previous shows had a similiar premise, setting etc. and I don't rate a show poorly just because it's genre is not to my liking.

RascaI's avatar
May 2, 2018

I threw up in my mouth.

Decease Walk to the Adjacent Land Euphoria is a winter 2010 anime that aired in winter 2018. It is a piece of shit.

Now some people would complain that it is bad because it is isekai. Some would complain that it's bad because nothing happens in it and it's more of an SOL. These are not among my complaints with Lack of life Stroll.

This anime is a video game isekai with RPG elements, that tries it's damndest to be just like an RPG and ends up doing a pretty good job at being the most meaningless cutscenes in an RPG along with a tutorial of the interface.

Since this anime hardly is the kind of bad to deserve a full-length essay review, I'll just list my biggest gripes with it that made me sick.

FIRST:

The visuals.

Ugly and blurry as fuck. For some reason they thought it would look cool, but it does not. It looks like they smeared vomit on the screen. The whole thing just looks dull, uninspired, and soul-less to boot.

SECOND:

We have a dull, nondescript, automatically OP japanese guy for our main character. My baby eyes wouldn't be able to handle any defining or unique character design features, so I'm glad they kept this classic anime trope. Somehow all the girls fall for him automatically and he never has a single problem he can't handle with skill and ease.

THIRD:

An anime about being in a video game that has action in the first episode should NOT under any circumstances devolve into a spice & wolf style SOL. This does.

FOURTH:

SHAMELESS loli fanservice. Every episode. Every minute of every episode almost. Pick a frame, there's a loli. Sometimes it's shrugged off as comedy, so the anime can't even own up to the fact that it's loli trash. The lolis are always sexualized anyways so why bother disguising it.

"i'm no lolicon" - The Cradle Explorer

FIFTH:

Interface bullshit. I don't care about how this game looks. If i wanted to watch someone play a game and fuck about with a menu i'd watch a lets play, at least that might have entertaining commentary.

LEARNED SKILL: SIXTH PROBLEM:

The learned skill shit. Stop.

In the end death march is a gross, exploitive, pure degenerate escapism anime that shows everything wrong with LNs in a delicous kebab of ew.

At least this was fun to make shitty little video clips out of with its ridiculousness.

0.5/10 characters
1.2/10 overall
Paradrip95's avatar
Feb 26, 2018

Love it.

On level with overlord maybe even better ( we will have to wait and see)

Without spoiling I'll say as much as I can, again another isekei one of my favorite the so far , op mc but u witness the reason behind it ( wasn't born op , was t given power by a god etc heck I wouldn't even say he trained and earned his power ) very unique gaming world too can't wait to see what else becomes of it

dragonhold's avatar
Apr 15, 2018

(The female anime demographic is going to Hate this one. See cover art. This is all I will say on this matter.)

If you're a fan of video games this is another Iseki anime that shouldn't be missed.

The most outstanding quality of this anime is its wish fulfillment to us (RPG) gamers: It provides many scenarios that answer the question, How would "video game logic" apply if we were fully immersed in a game.

Ex: A game's Inventory System = Pocket Dimension Storage System that perfectly maintains the current state of the item when it was stored.

Ex: Speechcraft Skillpoints = Actually improving words you use while bartering and not RNG

This anime is outstanding because it introduces these little mechanics we are all used to in order to explore their tangible use in a fully immersive environment. As far as world-building, the time spent on these rules is cathartic and are well spent.

This anime purely caters to the video gamer demographic. I only say this because its only RPG players that can perfectly relate to being "overpowered" within a sandbox. This anime is not another Shounen 50+ episode series. The objective isn't to travel and power up. The objective is purely to travel on adventures with the mindset of a video gamer. It will be challenging for a non-gamer to appreciate the structure of this anime.

HawkAussie's avatar
Mar 31, 2018

So the main reason for watching this is because that I was part of the anime challenge which gives out bad shows to watch. This did include Killing Bites and Citrus to name a couple of the anime. For me, I was happy with what I got for this challenge.

Story: The story is another transported into another world type with the victim being game programmer Suzuki Ichirou. This is because of him falling asleep after a long work session on the game that his team is working on. After getting transported, he wipes a powerful lizard army using one of his meteors, which shoots him up around three hundred or so levels (If only it was that easy to level up in games). Now he has to hide those levels while trying to live.

This is another, of these shows that we are now so accused too, with the MC going to another world because of something in the real world. This wasn't like an instant go to another world sort of thing like some shows. This was because it took about half an episode for that to occur. During that time, we do see the struggle of where he worked to try and remove all those bugs before the public plays. This I felt was a good start to the series as it wasn’t like going from the real world to the fantasy world in a time where you can go to the toilet and they would be in a different place.

From there, we see Suzuki trying to understand the world while trying to avoid telling other people that he is OP from the get go and no one questions it at all during this show which is worrying when you meet up with the rest of the characters that we get to see that I will talk later. [5]

Art/Game: For me, this wasn’t anything special as this was produced by Silver Link which also produced Mitsubishi Colours for this winter 2018 season. You might have noticed that I also put in the game in here as this is the RPG game comes in. The first problem here is the initial attacks that were given to the MC was completely overpowered which led to the destruction of the lizard army which had much higher levels than Suzuki and as I noted down in my notes, when did grenades become meteors attacks which would create those high levels.

This might be because of my inexperience in RPG games, but in a short amount of time, he shouldn’t be getting that many titles to his name that as you usually grind until you get those titles that you actually deserve because of that. For the MC, that would be too easy to grind through. Much like using secret passages for advancing up the tree in Episode 8 to get to the elves that are on top. All in all, this did feel very blah for me. [4]

OP/ED: This is going to be short and in my personal opinion, it’s one of those yeah I listen but won’t do that every single episode. The ED for this show for me is a better choice than the OP but neither did sell this show to me. [4]

Characters: Ah, yes now it’s for the characters of this show. To start with, we have Suzuki who like other people trapped in these worlds, is younger than when he was in our world and this doesn’t bother me too much. What did bother me was the fact that they overdid his inside thoughts how he was going to do his next move. I don’t mind thoughts here and there. But when it starts to feel like the same information that is trying to be forced to go to the audience, that is where the problem lies.

The rest of the characters doesn't help out the show in progressing forward. The only character, that is at least giving a go being Liza who actually does something to improve her stance of trying to improve her skills but even she seems to fall flat in some parts. [5]

Enjoyment: After finishing Death March, this is a show that you need to a double think if you want to binge or not. I say this as it doesn't feel like a weekly show that I had to go through. This isn't a train wreck like some from this season, but its also not one of the best for the winter season of 2018. [5]

Rating: 5/10

lloony's avatar
Nov 5, 2018

I got 3 episodes in and there were too many 'lolis' dragging the story out; mind-numbingly boring. After struggling through 3 episode (more like 2 and a bit); I think I shall never revisit any anime like this again.

Nothing special about sound or animation.

0.1/10 story
0.1/10 characters
0.1/10 overall
Tomodovodoo's avatar
Nov 5, 2019

Most bland anime there is.
Characters are non progressive in their personalities.
Keeps them as slave
Perfect for binging through and liking the anime

Mediocre at everything and still hitting the checks for me remembering the story

10/10

LiinksAwakening's avatar
Feb 5, 2019

This is a trainwreck.

Well, it’s as generic as an Isekai can get. The MC is magically transported into another world and becomes the chosen hero. We’ve all heard of and probably seen this trope before. However, there is no overall objective in this story, which takes away any sense of threat. Even more so, because the MC pretty much starts at level 310, he is overpowered and everything’s non threatening.

Episodes often drag out far longer than they need to be. I grew extremely bored watching many of these episodes, as they took so long.

The only reason why it isn’t rated any lower, is because I admittedly kind of liked the villain’s goal and plot in the final arc, despite how poorly/ predictably it was executed by MC’s team.

Unfortunately you can’t give negative scores for characters, hence why it’s not negative.

The MC is your stereotypical white knight protagonist who does everything for the greater good of people and justice and humanity. That’s all there is to his “character”, as he possesses no personality traits whatsoever. Due to his level, he doesn’t grow at all, since he just unlocks skills to do it for him.

And now for his harem. I feel sick just thinking about it.

Firstly, there are two child demi-humans, who are obsessed with a single product of food. That’s all the two ever talk about. As adorable as they are, it gets old REALLY fast.

Secondly, there is an older demi-human. This character is blander than the MC, and that is VERY hard accomplishment to beat.

Thirdly, there is a mage. This character starts slightly like the Tsundere trope, but then is openly obsessed with everything when it comes to MC. There even comes a point where this 10 yo tries to seduce the MC in his sleep. It is extremely uncomfortable to watch, actually making me shout “what the f*** is this?!?” out loud upon viewing.

Then there’s the timid and anxious character. There’s really not much to say on her, as she’s always in the background and she’s just predictable.

The villains are definitely better than the protagonists, but that’s not saying much. They feel slightly more fleshed out, but we don’t see them enough

There are a few other characters you meet, but none of them are really consistent enough/ with the party long enough to be bothered to summarise them.

Side note: This harem are all underaged females. It is just messed up how much they sexualise them.

Animation and Sound

The animation is honestly not that bad. The animation is what you’d expect from this sort of series, but nothing great. But sound wise.. oh boy. Some of the music tracks do not fit the scene and the voices sometimes get cut off. Speaking of voices, MC doesn’t possess any sort of emotion when speaking to anyone. I don’t think the harem did too bad of a job when voicing, but they certainly weren’t great.

Conclusion/ TLDR

Overall, I do not recommend this anime to anyone. Better Isekai are out there, more deserving of your time.  Even if you’re into lolis, this is a miss. Why? These aren’t lolis, they’re actual children.

There isn’t any story and you don’t end up feeling emotionally invested in these characters. Unless you like flat-note characters with no sense or purpose, then spend 6 hours of your time elsewhere - this show’s a miss.

1.5/10 story
0.1/10 characters
Epimondas's avatar
Jul 9, 2018

It’s a shame when a good concept falls under it’s own weight or just takes a cheap shortcut into the factory cliche realm to fill in content of what amounts to an incomplete story.  Death March looked promising to break the boring as hell overly repeated creepy self centered guy fantasy wet dream fest but then it eventually veered back into it.  When I watch most of these snooze-fests, I start wondering if theses haremesque themed worlds are inhabited solely by women since I rarely see anyone but the main male character in them.  Every opportunity the show presents to reveal a new character is a disappointment since they all come from the same mold of small young looking large breasted girls who would probably be between middle and high school at any western school district.  SNORE!!! Honestly, the unrealistic creepy otaku wet dream fantasy harem borefests are so standardized and repetitive that I get sleepy within a few minutes of realizing that’s another wet dream anime for creepy guys.  Sure he has some witty dialogue and a certain sense of reluctance to look like the sleaziest kindergarten teacher ever but he still does the cliches in the end and surrounds himself with unrealistically proportioned under aged girls.  Guys know such stories are ludicrous because real girls and women can get riled just around much older female relatives so seeing so many stories where attractive ladies and girls in large groups hang around the most unremarkable and noncommittal humble losers playing the lead as if he’s the only eligible guy left just destroys the suspension of disbelief that such fantasies are supposed to have.  Not much other than a slightly different initial attitude stands out about this factory stamped story.

5.5/10 story
7.5/10 sound
6.3/10 overall
Menroth's avatar
Apr 12, 2020

Now I remember why I dropped that show nearly 2 years ago after 5 episodes. Just to be clear: I did that again – after 5 episodes. AGAIN.

This thing is... uh... how should I put it, a particularly bland loli galore mixed with cliche isekai OP MC themes. I wouldn't mind cliche isekai themes. There are dozens of them and they're enjoyable. I simply can't stand the overall cringe and disgust the anime produces in me with it's sugarcoated loli tropes. Not only that they sugarcoat it, there's a particular scene in episode 5 which is absolutely way above the board. A 11 years old slave girl trying to seduce MC with magic while staying completely naked. That's nope.

I can't say much about the story itself since I dropped it somewhat in the half but these 5 eps made me think that author was unsure what he wanted to achieve. He's put insanely OP character into fantasy world and made him hesitant to use his power. MC dropped the idea of researching how he got isekai-ed, instead he decides to play along with the cute fantasy world he's stuck in. There's a mixture of d&d dungeon crawling, which could be fine if not for uninteresting fights and overall lack of thought. There are also those slice of life episodes which seem to work as some sort of transistory areas between something important happening. As far as my experience as editor and publicist reaches, something like this is a sign of lack of planning in storytelling.

Normally when you plan a grand vision of what you want to write/draw/animate/film, you make sure that there are enough tropes and depth in all the elements of the creation. Otherwise, things can and most likely will get bland, boring and pointless.

So yeah... Seriously I wouldn't recommend watching it. Tried watching it twice and I regret that.

sertified's avatar
Mar 28, 2020

After going through the hardship of watchig 10 episode I can say that I hate this anime. Its plot is very boring and the protagonist doesnt show any kind of emotion and is just bland.

But that wasnt the worst aspect of this anime for me. This series has the worst 3D animation I have ever seen in any anime. Whenever there was a scene with 3D in it I wanted to click away but I really tried to endure the torture bestowed upon my eyes.

All of the other characters just seemed extremly bland and boring aswell and the only quite accaptable thing in this anime were the background music and the other sounds.

I wouldnt recommend this anime to anyone unless you have so much time in your posession that you can afford to waste it. :)

0.1/10 animation
1.5/10 overall
Archimedion's avatar
Jan 16, 2020

Has to be stated... I am new to the whole anime thing

I rarely ever write reviews about anything I watch but this has to be the worst anime I have watched yet. The hero's inability to kill anything even though he has the skills to experiment and his childish way of solving problems pisses me off so much. It's hard to believe that he even came into the fantasy world as a 29 year old man. The hero's personality is also a massive contradiction as he is willing to sleep with other women which shows he's real age however that is only displayed in a few seconds before going back to a goody too shoes childish approach to everything.

Watching the slow build on the hero's development is probably the worst mistake the creator of this anime has done. I actually ended up liking all the other slaves he has saved as his companions than the hero himself. You would expect that rhe hero would mature himself in the world but he doesn't. It's like giving a hippie child god like powers!!!

This is 4 hours of my life I will not be able to get back.

2.5/10 overall
tony12976's avatar
Apr 2, 2018

it was only sad that the series only got 12 episodes and didn't get a full completion to the series.  I felt like it got cut in the middle of an event and not a cliffhanger.

ShaftoftheSpear's avatar
Jun 12, 2019

This computer programmer is transported to one of the game worlds, he works on.  Unlike other anime with a similar premise, he is not transported as himself or the high level character he has created in games, he is transported as a 15 year old boy, starting out at level one.  As soon as he gets there, he is attacked by a hoard of lizard men racing through a trench towards him. He freaks out and he uses that game ability that attacks all the enemies on the screen and kills them all (one that he wrote into the game to help new players survive early on).  In doing so, he accidentally kills a god, which boosts him up to a really high level and gets quite the loot drop. In this world, he has a game HUD, complete with health and mana bars, identification bubbles, world map, and a menu that he controls and accesses in his vision using his mind.

This isekai has a really interesting take. One of the cool things is that this is a guy who makes video games for a living, and the series brings out his perspective and insight of the things that are happening in this world.  His view and inner monologue bring out the subtleties that one wouldn’t normally think about, probably because he is a guy who creates worlds and quests and characters, and, that kind of understanding shapes how he interacts with characters and environments, situations, and how he fights in the world.  He pretty much treats every one as if he were interacting with an NPC, and I like that sentiment.

This one isn’t very action-packed, and unless you’re one to appreciate the subtleties, you may find this series hard to get through. But, I do like this show.  However, I feel the overall concepts were wasted with weak story arcs, poor pacing, and no real main plot to speak of; it seems the main character is only mildly interested in going home or figuring out how or why he’s there in the first place.

In hindsight, I actually understand why he may have a lack of interest to return to the real world. His actual life seems pretty miserable to me.  He spends months at a time at his cubicle, sleeping and eating at his work station, brushing his teeth and showering in the work bathrooms, and waking up to go right back to work.  I wish I could say the opening scenes are hyperbole to what it’s like to work in the Japanese video game industry, but it’s not.  If I were in his shoes, being in this world would be the ultimate way to experience the fruits of my labor.

Another thing, I kept forgetting that the main character is a grown man trapped in a 15 year old avatar body.  When I did remember, though, I really appreciated the subtleties of the show, like how he handles his interactions with his ever-growing stable of female fan-… slaves?  Which makes this an anti-harem, of sorts, and I like that.  He maintains a relationship with a battle mage who is of an acceptable age, in spite of this show constantly throwing under aged loli fodder at him.  –And, one of the greatest notions this series did to go against the grain of the expectation of shows like this, is when he goes out and parties on his own, after putting the kiddos to bed, and takes a bar maiden, who is undoubtedly of age, home for the night.  It definitively states that this character is actually an adult and he’s not just some creep a show like this would make him out to be. I also like that his perspective remains true to who and what he is.  He creates worlds, and characters, and stories like this for a living, and he sees this as a world that was also created, and he is fascinated about finding out what he is and isn’t allowed to do in it.  His extremely high level and loot that he gained from killing a god and a hoard of lizard men, at the outset of the show, gives him the resources to do just that, at his own pace.  After getting his bearings in this new world, the main character is essentially just wandering around, looking for a cause, while exploring the mechanics of the game system in his head, which is fine, maybe that was the intent – being a somewhat immersive “Let’s play,” loli-harem. – Wait, wha…?

AdTentus's avatar
Mar 31, 2019

Entertaining but not very special.

Story and characters could use more "meat". Humor is overall good.

If your not too picky it will keep you entertained for a few hours.

i myself am looking forward to season 2.

TouchMEE's avatar
May 9, 2019

This series is good to watch, similar to That time when I got reincarnated as a slime and other Isekai series, but unfortunately it's short. It feels like they cut it in the middle of the storyline, so I hope there will be next season.

Archert's avatar
Jan 27, 2020

No esta mal, no es algo que no hayamos visto antes, pero la animación es decente y los sucesos que ocurren más la forma que tienen de contarlos es dinámica y divertida. Al final nos encontramos que en 12 capítulos han pasado muchas cosas mostrándonos una y otra vez las diferentes caras de su mundo de fantasía, justo lo que espero de una aventura como esta. Pero no todo es bueno, la serie no la cierran y se quedan muchos cabos sueltos. Espero ver como en una segunda temporada pulen una obra que puede destacar perfectamente sobre el genero.

7.5/10 story
6.5/10 characters
7.3/10 overall
JesusValentine's avatar
May 3, 2020

Way to loli for me. After watching some of the episodes I kept glancing out of the window to see if the police were monitoring me because it was too far into the loli scene.

The story itself was ok but didn't really amount to anything of substance. It just seemed to end up being a guy essentailly grooming young girls.

I would not recommend it

SWAIDER's avatar
Mar 26, 2020

Very good one RPG story and really well made. Its sad because it has so big potencial and needs an continue of a story. For me one of the best if you need rest from overreacted characters and so much darkness or violence. Its RPG anime and for me one of the best here.

Kirishiba's avatar
Mar 28, 2018

This anime is good and all but it is lacking something which is the character emotions. They are mostly going with the flow and lack certain human behaviour. They are somewhat acting like NPC in games but this world is closer to reincarnated world. The protagonist is not even wondering the reason of his presence in the world, he is supposed to be the real world character but he too lack emotions on some level. And the most annoying thing I found is the pop up for every action he takes, I think no game ever have these many skills.

On the other hand story and sound is decent.

6.3/10 overall
Sstalker0641's avatar
Jun 5, 2018

Death march is pretty much your standard isekai with a different tag on it. Some random dude gets transported into a new world, becomes extremely op, uses a gun, gets an ever expending harem of girls, buys slaves and treats them well, and is tasked with taking out the good ol demon king as a hero? Check, all of them.

I'm not saying that the typical isekai tropes aren't fun to see from time to time, but when your story is the embodyment of most of the tropes found in a genre, you have a slight problem. It may do its job of being entertaining, but it stays at that.

3.5/10 story
4.5/10 characters
5150x3's avatar
May 19, 2020

The worst part about Death March is that it had the potential to be good, but never became better than average. There were interesting side characters that would have been fun to see more of, but none of them were more than superficially used. There was even another Japanese person that had been resurrected into that world, so you'd think there'd be some sort of camaraderie there, or at least recognition of their connection, but no. Her part is to play the overly jealous girl of the harem.

The biggest problem though, is that nothing all that interesting happened. We never even see an incredibly powerful character doing cool things to kick ass. It's tagged as "overpowered main characters", but that's misleading. He has the potential to be op, but seems unable or unwilling to use it except on 2 or 3 occasions. His level is in the 300's, but level 17 creatures are able to put him in mortal danger. So, if you're thinking of watching this because you want something similar to No Game No Life and How not to Summon a Demon Lord, look elsewhere.

Another example of why this was so uninteresting: The final "battle", which should always be epic, is nothing more than creating a bunch of flasks. I'm not kidding, the "action" part of the anime ended with flask making. What sort of dimwit thought that would be an interesting conclusion?

If you're bored and like fantasy anime, this wouldn't be a complete waste of your time. There are some fun moments. Just don't expect too much - it's as bland as unsalted butter.

CodeBlazeFate's avatar
Apr 1, 2018

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody seems almost as perfunctory as anime gets, as if to be the self-appointed embodiment of “anime today, 2018”, but with some sense of restraint, much to the relief of some. By that same token, it manages to actually somewhat succeed at being incredibly basic, because sadly, it's hard to find a show that can pull this off. Giving the finger to SAO, Re:Zero, and Isekai wa Smartphone, this is Death March’s brief time in the limelight.

I'm sure that at least some who are aware of my outlook on a variety of shows of Death March's ilk are recognizing me as daft for even glancing at this show's general direction. However, the intention goes far beyond having an excuse to malign another anime. Put it simply, I want to prove the existence of a hierarchy.

Every genre, and every category of entertainment has a relative and not entirely subjective hierarchy consisting of installments that are better than most, worse than the rest, or are somewhere within a grey area of sorts. Even the harem show has undisputedly better installments such as Ouran High School Host Club, and irrefutably awful ones as well, such as Isekai wa Smartphone. The school battle anime typically goes with the comparison of Chivalry of a Failed Knight to The Asterisk War for such a comparison. While some shows that are more commonly considered to be in the middle are treated like the worst of their kind, it wouldn't be fair to label them as such. Even genericism can be executed swimmingly or horrifyingly. As for where this show stands in the isekai totem pole...well, an important enemy from episode 1 somehow died offscreen in the beginning of episode 2; this anime isn't exactly the savior anyone here is asking for.

Slamming aside, this show isn’t have bad. In fact at times it can be decent, even good. For example, the first 12 minutes are actually pretty great. We were shown a horrifyingly real depiction of the Japanese work industries, with people often staying for hours upon hours at their job, falling asleep there out of sheer exhaustion, not coming home for days at a time, and the workload being asinine. The directing by Shin Onima helps sell how dreary it all is, with incredibly harsh lights shining when the protagonist sits on a train to get to work in his sleepy state, and how silent everything is in the workplace in regards to background music until we transition into the primary setting of this anime. Hell, even when the surprisingly likable MC is transported to said game world setting (don't ask me how, this never makes sense no matter which anime pulls it, and most don't even explain themselves in some way), it still feels oppressive. When he first enters the game, we get to see Sato immediately become at least somewhat disillusioned with the idea of this being an ideal “dream” when he is attacked and writing with pain while bleeding, in a scene somewhat reminiscent of some of the better moments of Re:Zero’s early portions.

From there, it becomes a bit more hit and miss. While some aspects of the game make no sense (why would need allow your character to learn language comprehension?), they did think about stuff like currency, tax, and the overall economics and societal rules in a simple and effective manner, unlike the convoluted and meaningless currency in say, Smartphone, that never gets brought up after the first instance. It somehow manages to be a pleasant watch at times, notably because of the main character, the constant music that blends in perfectly, and the occasionally pleasant misadventures Satou and his posse go through, and the surprisingly passable world-building. Sometimes, the show can feel dull and blasé, needlessly so. It doesn't help that the show does sink into some of the more loathsome temptations of its maligned brethren on occasion. It’s annoying to see such practices continue since we’ve come so used to the absolute bottom-tier dreck these kinds or anime shit out souleslly while removing anything they seemingly had in their LN counterpart (see Mahouka’s main character as a known example of this). It does this further as it goes along too, as if the reviled temptation is increasingly heinous for them to resist. Due to this, the bare minimum of what should be considered acceptable can almost be seen as nigh-revolutionary. This really is like the “triple-A game industry”.

A large part of why this series works is Satou, our main character. On the surface, he seems like the run-of-the-mill insert, especially based on his appearance. Admittedly his reactions would be rather typical. However, he certainly isn't an awkward buffoon who only has a spine when the chips are down like most of in contemporaries do, and a majority of the time, we actually see what he thinks about any given situation. It's actually rather amusing to hear him gush over every intricacy of his meals or react negatively to whatever bullshit someone gives him. Additionally, the main character often has to use his surroundings to adapt to new situations (with ease, but still, it's something) using strategies he comes up with in the fly with party members. The fact that we get to see actual strategies being employed when facing an enemy in say, a dungeon, is surprisingly not that common in MMORPG anime, if Sword Art Online has taught us anything. Him looking like Kirito in the early episodes of his show and being better at MMORPG culture and strategy than him makes him all the more glorious, especially when unlike nearly every other overpowered protagonist, he actually has a semblance of variety to his powers. To add on to how much of a cheeky fuck he is, when he wants to rename a female companion, he just translates their garbage name in Japanese, expecting no one to notice. The only real issue I have with him is that he doesn’t bother leveling up his skills until the need for a specific skill becomes relevant for the first time. One could say it’s so that he doesn’t become boring and absurdly overpowered, but if he can do this already, and if he is already at level 310 by the end of the first episode when by the time we are ⅔ into the series, the highest leveled opponent has been level 50, then this excuse can no longer fly. That, and how he can get dull over time, though not by too much.

The main character can't carry such an annoyingly dull cast, however, as most of his posse feel less like dynamic characters, and more like largely distinct accessories for him. Obviously he doesn't feel this way about them, but as established, he’s certainly less of an audience surrogate than many of his ilk. They're thankfully nowhere near as obnoxious as most female harem characters, as none of them quite fit into the tired archetypes of harem characters, and each character is distinct from one another, unlike Smartphone, where most of the women are lately the same character. Not to mention that while not every female Satou collects is in love with him, it increases every so often, threatening to turn this pseudo-harem into an actual harem with leftovers. Arisa can get grating sometimes with her bullshit, making her probably the worst of the lukewarm bunch (aside from that one demon in episodes 3 and 4, whose voice was a spell meant to poison the ears), side-characters included. A majority of the villains are borderline worthless husks meant to serve as a “standard evil prick”. Understandably this takes place in a video game but the antagonists really are just the Light Novel adaptation standard when they didn't entirely have to be. At least the villain in the second arc has some pretty decent and interestingly foreshadowed motivations.

Easily the worst part, however, would be the production values. Even outside of the nice directing moments present in episode 1, and how they purposely instead sunlight saturation in certain moments of episode 2 to accentuate the wonder Satou feels about this new world he is in, there isn't much flare to speak of. The character designs looks rather sharp, possibly too sharp, though improved over the original novel. Thankfully it isn't the LN standard but it's still not that pretty to look at. The action is not very well animated either and the magic spells aren't with any sense of flare like they would be in Konosuba or Knight’s & Magic. As mentioned earlier, there are some neat directing moments sprinkled throughout, but that’s all they are: moments. Not all episodes even have those brief moments, and coupled together with terrible, sometimes even laughable action sequences, it’s certainly little better than the rest of Death March’s borderline pitiful visual presentation.

I'm more than willing to believe that the 2D aspects were studio Silver Link and that the rest is Connect, given their repertoire and how Connect has never done a solo project. I say this because the CGI bears massive simulators to another joint project of theirs: Chaos Dragon. Thankfully there is no frame rate slow-down, aside from the CGI already having bad frame rates as is, but the CGI is both disturbingly prevalent and disconcertingly awful, with most soldiers being reduced to CGI armor models that look putrid, and many creatures being reduced to unintentional abominations due to the same hideous 3D model quality. Regardless, this show looks terrible and doesn’t move well. It’s a shame that somehow it’s the production values that hold a light novel anime back more than anything else, as if this anime wasn’t a bewildering rarity already.

The music is mixed as well, though it is conversely the best aspect of the show. The Opening, "Slide Ride (スライドライド)" by Run Girls, Run!, is a real good contender for “most generic-sounding anime OP”, and needless to say, it wasn’t very pleasing to listen to. The Ending theme, "Suki no Skill (スキノスキル)" by Wake Up, Girls! Isn’t much better, as it’s another ending theme that isn’t noteworthy. The rest of the music is pretty decent, feeling like it truly belongs in a fantasy video game. This only applies when the characters are in the villages and not elsewhere. One minor jingle in particular even opts to make you feel like you've discovered or done something grand, and if there’s one thing video game scores are fantastic at, it's giving off a sense of grandeur. The track pool even expands in the second half when things try to get more serious and full of dread and tension. There are some nice emotional tracks too, like the one in the penultimate scene of episode 9, and the episode 10 ending track, which sadly cannot be named at the time of writing. Such a shame that the opening and ending themes that sandwich these tracks are what hold the audio component back.

Ultimately, in a world where perfunctory is revolutionary, you can forgive the disproportionate applause at least once, as even mediocrity of this kind, in such a location, can inspire hope for the future of Isekai, garbage visuals aside. There are some genuinely nice moments, visually, and emotionally, so to see it settle is annoying at times. At the very least, if something like Isekai wa Smartphone was up the alley, this is worth viewing too, that way you find an infinitely superior product with a trick or two up its nonexistent sleeves. For now at least, I can say Death March thankfully didn't live up to its title in terms of viewing experience, awful finale notwithstanding, as it’s surprisingly high up on this totem pole. Not bad for a modern LN Isekai title. It may not be good, but, well, baby steps.

Also, the fact that people are treating this show like an endorsement of slavery is woefully disconcerting; please don't do what you tried going with Mahoutsukai no Yome.

4.5/10 story
3.5/10 animation
4.5/10 characters
4.9/10 overall
mschreck48's avatar
May 24, 2018

There is a english dub version by Funimation. Why isn't that on here?

KingMark23's avatar
Apr 7, 2020

If you like anime where the MC is ridiculously overpowered, then this is the anime for you. The ending for the anime could have been a lot better, and they could have made the characters more interesting. But due to how OP the main character is, it's entertaining enough.

WolfAngelus's avatar
Apr 17, 2018

What you get here is an MMO game themed world without any of the excitement, except for quite a few loli characters. It's really bland and there doesn't seem to have been any goal or reasoning for this to exist. The first episode creates some scenario about going from developing the game to suddenly being trapped in a game just like it, then we never see anything further related to that. There are no attempts made to understand why it happened or try and get out of it. You get a tiny bit of dungeon action, then random occurances such as meeting girls/lolis, helping out the odd villager, ignoring the love interests of a few girls, and gaining hundreds of titles.

The main guy instantly reminded me of Kirito, he looked a lot like a clone. It is worth noting that with all the girls and lolis around him, he doesn't make any moves on them. The same can't be said for 2 of the girls encountered throughout. One of them being a respectable girl, the other being an extremely horny and bold loli (you will know who she is due to her "bold" introduction). The girl cast is really the only reason worth watching, you got 2 kids that are dog & cat like and they are really cute (the main reason I continued to watch). There is an elf girl who is even more cute, then some more girls that are a bit older. This deserved a whole paragraph because the female cast would be the only reason to watch as well.

There isn't any attempt at a meaningful story as mentioned. At best, you could call it an adventure. The first episode seems entirely irrelevant and it may as well have started directly within the game world itself. Even what you could call "quests" aren't completed, specifically the journey of seeing one of the characters safely to another place. The last episode ends so abruptly coming off doing a help style quest for characters that feel so irrelevant and we only see for a few mins and runs the span of 2 episodes.

The whole "master" thing is reasonable, considering the time period based on the architecture style. It isn't unusual to have slaves whose only know life to be doing whatever their master asks, from chores to offering their "services". It is kind of nice to see the characters go from this forced lifestyle to being free and enjoying themselves.

The main character is completely over leveled too, so there really just isnt any excitement. Combat is one sided, there isn't much action, or much of anything. The scenery feels cheap which loses the fantasy appeal. I really don't know what the point of the Anime was, other than an attempt at a cash grab by trying to copy some of the other MMO themed Anime.

Overall, it is bland. The only reason to watch it is for cute girls / lolis. The main character is not taking advantage of that though, so there's that, although one of the girls is beyond horny. There is no attempt at making a story or even finishing certain things off, everything is just left hanging except one quest.

3.6/10 overall
DemonicWOLF666's avatar
Jan 31, 2020

It has potential. Definitely not perfect but it's worth a watch it does start out slow. If this gets a second season and there's more character development then this may turn out to be pretty good. It's slightly above average in some areas and in others it needs improvement. I would recommend watch the first few episodes and base your desicion from there.

7.9/10 overall
powman68's avatar
Jul 30, 2018

Has an Overlord / 1st season of SAO feel to it. Well produced, fairly interesting backstories for the characters the and world. Storyline was a bit overused, but I personally still liked it.

nmxo's avatar
May 29, 2020

MEH. The start was quite exciting (had potential) until half way through it became quite plain. Could be alot better if they added some funnier scenes or jokes but overal its okay.The female characters are cute but the main character is quite boring - typical nice guy, no strong trait - tbh i started to get a little tired of him.

i enjoyed the labrinth part the most out of this season.

Crua9's avatar
Mar 6, 2019

First off, I will watch this if they make another season. But I doubt this will happen after looking into it.

TLDR:  It's the average story of someone/group gets sent to some game like world. They become OP way too fast (within their first attack actually). And you have a bunch of girls (most of them are slaves) around him. But one of them (which is 10 or 12) wants to marry him.

The writers simply forget things all the time, they don't know how lvl systems works in games, but the show is very watchable. Even more since it IS NOT heavy on fighting, but it's more slice of life.

_________________________

Story: The story is basically, some game dev gets sent to a game world. For the first ep he thinks it is a dream until he doesn't. After which, he doesn't even try to see if it is possible for him to get back or if it will end.

During his time he ends up having a number of girls (some 10 & some older). As normal with these shows, there is 1 or more of them that want to sleep with him. And as normal it comes off as odd half the time because it's the 10 or 12 year old that is really going after him (something that would be a lot less pedo if they gotten more in her background. In the story they got into that given girl also came from Japan, but she was reborn after she died. So there is no way of knowing her true age. And it's obvious her true age (not her current biological age) is kinda older and mature.)

But I don't understand why they didn't make her much older. One of the slave girls looks to be in their early 20s. So it's obviously not unheard of.

Anyways, this is more than less like other shows. But like other shows it is worth a watch. Even more since this focuses more on the slice of life stuff than fighting/adventures.

(But this is where the problems comes in)

____________________________

Problems: The biggest problem with this is the story itself. So when the guy first comes to the game world, he starts at lvl 1. After his first attack, he ended up as lvl 300 with everything being maxed. This was more than less used as a way for him to have an unlimited amount of skill points to max out any skills he learns.

The problem with this is anyone who actually plays games knows. The higher the lvl you are, the stronger you are. Where this becomes a problem is when he has things like "boss" fights, it's all below lvl 50. Which means there is about a 250 lvl gap AT MIN between him and any enemy. Which means, he should be able to regain health faster than any enemy can take and he should be able to 1 shot everything. Which means there is 0 danger to him at all.

While he was able to kinda 1 shot everyone and they didn't really do any damage. This made the times where they focused heavily on fighting worthless. There is 0 risk to him.

Something I did like is by ep 11, it kinda felt like Skyrim and Witcher 3 games. But even then it was short moments and there is only 12 ep in total.

There was a few other times where it felt like the writers completely forgotten about stuff and went against what happened before.

But again, I will watch it if they do end up releasing a season 2.

6.5/10 story
7.5/10 characters
FickleLeviathan's avatar
Mar 7, 2019

I'm asuming that everyone is capable of reading a description so I won't bother with that and get right into the meat of it.

It was alright. Not gonna lie, the story and characters follow a very simple archetype, the protagonist is OP, the world is falling into danger of ending, yadda yadda yadda.

What I DID like is that, despite the harem-esque aspect of it, it still retains itself as an actual anime. It has an actual plot and tries to move forward (albeit sluggishly) and doesn't desolve into pure fan-service *cough* to-love-ru *cough*. You may see other reviews complain about "loli-con" and "every girl is instantly in love" but honestly that isn't the case. Of the "harem" only 2 girls are actively pursuing him, one he saved the life of, and one likes his appearance because he looks like a regular japanese male. Hell even one of the elves gets mad whenever he does something remotely lewd (which often isn't intentional). On top of that the anime makes a point that he isn't pursuing any of them in that manner. However, the characters kind of fall off after than, they have little to no depth and just follow the protagonist blindly.

The actual "game" aspect is nothing more than a reason to have the protagonist be OP and is used as a catch all for explaining the world away, but honestly I found this after looking for an "OP MC anime" and wasn't really dissapointed. Things don't really get interesting until the last 3 or 4 episodes when the MC starts to experiment with things like magic and the game's mechanics, but it then gets cut off suddenly with the end of the season.

TL;DR: If you read the description you can pretty much get the jist of it. Was it great or enrapturing? No. What it did do is scratch that itch of a deviation from "The MC must use ALL of their power to stop the big bad once and for all by the skin of their teeth via the power of freindship!"