Date a Live II - Reviews

RingoStarr1991's avatar
Jun 23, 2014

***THIS IS A SPOILER FREE REVIEW***

If you somehow find this show appealing to watch, I recommend you watch the first season before taking this one on.

Ok. *Takes a deep breath* Let's get this over with. Because of money, a new season of Date a Live is here and well if you were expecting more character development from the previous season's characters then well be prepared to be very, very disappointed.

Story: 4/10

It's the same as the first season plot wise; mythical creature taming stud Shido has to go seal the powers of new female characters for the love of "plot". I cannot believe I am saying this...but I actually think that the first season did a better job with the pacing of the arcs than this new season. This season in my opinion had a lot of "dead" spots where I just didn't give any sh$%s for what was going on. And what the f$#^ leaving out some of the original characters almost entirely? Yoshino is pretty much sidelined and the only decent character Kurumi isn't utilized until the very end. All this season accomplished was putting new bait under Shido's belt and unfortunately I really did not like any of the new characters.

Animation: 6.5/10

Looks pretty much the same as last time. It actually might have look better during some scenes but it really didn't wow me because it was obvious that they put the real mustard of effort during the ecchi scenes. It's a real shame because some of the fight scenes actually looked pretty decent.

Sound: 5/10

Average.

Characters: 3/10

The newly added characters connected with me as much as a human's a$$ and a cactus. None of them seemed likeable and were actually quite annoying to watch. The decent ones from last season like I said before were pretty much sidelined and very under-utilized. Since this is a character driven harem show, if you do not end up liking the cast, it's going to be a sh#@ show.

Overall: 4.6/10

Say what you want, "Oh you just hate the IP so much that you are not being unbiased in your review." If you think you are correct then by all means leave a comment below. I hoped that we would see more character development for the previous season's characters but nope a totally new fresh cast was handed the baton and they fumbled big time. I can only recommend this show if you were a fan of the first season.

Enjoyment: 2.5/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

6.5/10 animation
4.6/10 overall
derfxskitz's avatar
Jul 6, 2014

Tachibana Koushi's Date a Live was a very funny series to begin with. I read only the

first novel and so decided to watch the first season when it began airing. I can't
compare much to the novel though so I will write this review as someone who only saw
the Anime.

As I said, the novel was funny to begin with, and the first part of the story closed
nicely in the first Season. However, I did say "to begin with," and this is a review
about the Date a Live II so I'll stop talking about the previous season and move onto
the actual review.

I chose to continue Date a Live in hopes of good comedy, story, and music. Those were
best parts of the previous season (whoops, I mentioned it again). Date a Live II,
however. did not live up to my expectations.

The music, including soundtrack and OP/ED, had the same quality. I actually like the
soundtrack, I have some of it on my iPod in fact. I was excited to see that Sweet Arms
would do the opening again, and the new opening was even better than the first one.
Hooray for their orchestral versions too. But enough about music. Some people don't
care.

I can't say much about the story. It continued from where it left off. It wasn't slow.
It was just bland. More spirit dating and kissing with an awkward twist on that last
spirit. And an added third party to "mix things up." Well fine, that twist did make me
enjoy the show a little bit more, but that's probably about it. I didn't find Date a
Live II as funny or engaging as its predecesor (is that a good word to use? wait did I
mention the first one it again?).

Getting into some of the details which some may count as **SPOILERS**. The voice
actress for Miku did not fit. Her ability when her shout does a "force pulse" just
sounded awkward. Yoshino could have had more screen time because she's almost
everyone's favorite. There were two characters introduced this season that I didn't
feel were placed very well into the story. One looks much like a previously introduced
character and the other behaves much like a previous character. Although they didn't
make the story confusing at all, the characters just turned out flat.

Speaking of characters--I felt more distant from all of the characters. Less emotional
connection made me less interested in the story.

...And less interested in continuing Date a Live as it apparently has a movie coming
out to wrap things up. But I guess I'll finish the series since I got this far already.
Wait, unless it's just a reboot.

To sum things up-
WATCH THIS ANIME IF: You're a major fan of the light novels. You really need to know
what happens after the first season or you'll develop withdrawal symptoms.
DON'T WATCH THIS ANIME IF: You want more Yoshino. Your body and mind require another
fulfilling ecchi comedy.

I copy my reviews directly from the ones I write for myanimelist.net

Hopefully you'll still appreciate my contribution.

4.8/10 overall
YuiYui's avatar
Jul 21, 2014

Warning this review may contain spoilers-

Ecchi, Ecchi everywhere...Well anyway this review is for the second series of Date A Live. To be honest with you the first series wasn't too bad, Kurumi made up for the Ecchi but this time it was just weird. It had twins to crossdressing to singers who have really have sportsmanship, I think I have now seen just about everything! Anyway the story in this series isn't as good as the previous series many questions were still left unanswered, disappointing. Kurumi and some of the bigger characters in the last series have been downgraded which didn't improve anything. In the end the first series is much better, in the story that is. The animation I just love, it has to be one of my favourite styles ans the detail in each character's costume is impressive. Also they capture each of Kurumi's expressions pretty well, even if she is pretty minor in this series.

The music doesn't stop impressing me but still didn't compared to the first series in this sense. The voice actors are mostly the same but with the new characters the only voice I really didn't enjoy was Miku's voice. I don't know why but I just didn't like it. The characters were like I said left wide open, the questions brought out at the end of the last series weren't really answered. However they still kept the personalities just right.

So in conclusion, I prefer the first series personally but for a 10 episode anime, it was what you would expect. Can't wait for the movie to come out. And on that note here ends the review, thanks for reading!!

~ AngelBeatsYui~

WolfAngelus's avatar
Dec 6, 2015

A continuation from the first, this basically adds two more girls into the mix. Other than that nothing changes much. Once again Kurumi has very little presence which is unfortunate. The biggest problem about this season is that the ending really doesn't end and unless there is a 3rd season to come (which seems doubtful due to lack of popularity) it is left feeling unfinished.

10 Episodes is also questionable since an average season goes for 12 episodes. This is only as long as two movies so there is not much to say. If you liked the first season then this is as good as the first without any big changes.

Review of Season 1 ; Scored 8

ClubFoot's avatar
Apr 27, 2019

“Date A Live” never stops in told its story of Shido Itsuka as the most fortunate man even though he wasn’t as lucky as other MCs. It’s one of the contamination series it lives on until today. After a long-awaited after the aftermath in the first season, this second season continues into visual novel dating sim-like into a gimmick; as the dating is an emphasize to save the world. This sequel feels more like a rushed series than the first season where Koushi Tachibana and Production IMS worked on just 10 episodes. It’s different from the first season or the type of anime in general where they always work on one cour show. Because of that, this sequel is quite different, apart from I kind of enjoy what was shown.

Still, the story focuses on Shidou our savior of the world without a robe. While the first season tells about Shidou’s struggle in conquering four spirits, this season focuses on the spirits of the Yamai twins and Miku Izayoi. But, the show is a little bit slippery and stiff. Like a harem show, I don’t expect much but it looks like the first episode makes me uncomfortable. But, why did I continue? Because I have to finish what I just start. Introducing, Tohka as the underlooked lead girl. In fact, the show didn’t explain much except that she was the lead heroine. Then, Origami as the overcoming stalker to Shidou. But, I kind of notice something that Shidou really enjoyed. He really enjoyed everything as in the first season, he looked uncomfortable. Maybe because he had found Yoshino, Kotori, and Kurumi but they lived like family; except Kurumi.

Tohka is different in the first season but in this season, she is more confident, innocent, and honest. Similar to the second series, it is inseparable from the various cultures. On the other hand, there is Origami who doesn’t want to be outdone by Tohka herself. The love war begins as in the harem war more precisely. In addition, this season sticks with its old format, which is a choice.

Shidou must go through various choices in order to conquer the spirits. Strategy and direction are the main keys but the show has something that’s lacking with feeling. Like Shidou, like it or not, you have to pretend himself so that the spirits, or the girls, can be conquered. Therefore, all of the girls seem to react to Shidou instead of hunting for more spirits. That means there will be more kisses than I expected. Dating is no longer the main key, but a harem show I don’t really expect so much.

The pacing is very fast and different from the first season where you see new heroines. This season, because it has fast pacing, the execution is very bad. The Yamai twins besides the two of them are the stage of all of which are just memorable through a cameo. The show focuses more on the encore itself, which is the chemistry between Shidou and Miku. I kind of forgot how Tohka’s alter ego had been told and a few roles for Kurumi but just like things, nothing but poses personalities. Don’t forget with the classic beach episode. I preferred the first season where Shidou slowly got what he had achieved. While this second season focuses on those who already exist.

I like Shidou more this season than at the beginning of the series. He is now more aware of what his mission really was, what he was there for, and what his purpose. He is courageous in conquering all these spirits by playing his character to pretend to be someone else. The spirits also deserve to be blessed saved by Shidou because they have something more than just being saved. All of them are unique and one thing is certain as well, they deserved to be together.

The chemistry between Kurumi and Shidou is actually the most interesting part. Kurumi is the most unique spirit of all and the fans were adore her. I don’t know, but she seems like an antagonist or anti-hero maybe. But, she deserved more than just the OVA. And by the way, the OVA is one of the beautiful things I’ve ever seen compared to other sub-plot characters.

While the action takes the same format as in the first season, I can’t say that the two are the same. Shidou, like himself, acts as nothing but worse in this season. In fact, almost all spirits cannot fight Miku at the end of the arc except Kurumi who even has a small role. Origami herself couldn’t do anything and Shidou could only whine and try desperately as much as possible. You’re just focusing on the fan service just because screw action, here we come fan service. The artwork, despite the studio change where it was AIC Plus+ previously, didn’t change anything and I liked it. The new spirits, the Yamai twins and Miku, have some unique and distinctive design. The background feels more natural even the beach episode seems as well. The traditional panties, swimsuits, and other things you could come with fan service.

The soundtrack is the same as the first season but Miku’s voice sounds like a bit of annoying. Not that Minori Chihara is a bad voice actress regardless she was good in “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya” as Yuki. While that’s all, the soundtrack is fit with the scene whether it’s action or drama. The opening and ending theme songs have a remarkable feel because of it. The second season has a bit of disappointment from lack of characterization and story but in fact, it’s one of those series which live on and on. We are not given much about spirits and only 10 episodes fill two arcs. Despite giving something new, the contrasting between the main character and new spirits were so-called blurry. For an average show, I still like this series and forever might be.