Dance with Devils - Reviews

Noriko's avatar
Oct 21, 2015

Haiiii~ (~◠▽◠)~♥

Let's watch Dance with Devils! Or more like: Dance with Devils, Vampires, a Dhampir, a Fallen Angel and a freaking Pomeranian...

For the record, I HATE reverse harem. But I'm looking for a exception. A reverse harem where the story focuses on a female protagonist being a bad bit*h to everyone. I have never found any of reverse harem shows interesting and they are ALL THE SAME.

And not only that this is a genre that I hate, this anime is ''Original Work'', which basically means this show was written by 5 drunk Japanese salarymen. Speaking of ''Original Work'', I did have a good damn time watching and reviewing this show, but Dance with Devils is supposed to be serious... ish.

Let's just get on with it!

STORY

I swear to god if I hear the word ''GURIMOIRU'' one more time...

The story is... kinda bad. It's based on a high school girl who's living a normal life but then she gets in contact with demons. This leads to her being in between of demons and vampires who are fighting to get a grimoire.

This anime has musical elements (I've never seen this before to be honest). So in the middle of nowhere, a certain character starts singing a song with dumbest possible lyrics (and tbh some can't even sing). I think this makes the story seem stupid and cringeworthy.

So the story is more less okay, but the musical elements just kill every potential good part of it. So, it's a 5/10

ANIMATION

Very well done. I like to see a lot of detail on characters, and this anime has it. The way characters are animated is super well done, and the animation in general is gorgeous.

Also, very colorful and polished animation. Probably a best aspect of this show to be honest. I'll give it a 8/10

SOUND

Well, there's nothing wrong with the sound but...

Those songs that I mentioned before just made me think ''y tho''. Is it really necessary to bring 6-7 voice actors into a studio and make them sing stupid songs no one will ever remember instead of putting sound effects, breathing or even humming? I seriously thought that was stupid.

Oh and lyrics of these songs? ''My name is Rem'', ''VANQUISH!'' (wtf?), ''I'll give you VIP dreams'' (wtf?), ''amour, amour, the more we amour, the more amour allures us'' ...

Whoever wrote those songs should start over. Like literally, career wise, start over.

But overall, the voice acting is well done, music is horrible and the OP/ED are decent . . . I'll just give it a 6/10.

CHARACTERS

Well, there's the useless ''centre of the harem'' girl, her brother, her 2 female friends (1 is relevant), 4 of the demon boys, the other other blue haired guy and ''androgynous vampire''.

Ok let's go through each one of the demon boys since they are basically the main thing in this anime.

Rem KAGINUKI - TSUNDERE BOY. People always told me guys can't be tsundere. Well guess again biatch. He's cold af, he doesn't see mushrooms as food and he has a god damn pomeranian. I mean COME ON. Other than that he's just a basic handsome protagonist with nothing else to offer.

Mage NANASHIRO - Okay this one is annoying the sh*t outta me. He's the buff masculine guy who wears his school uniform in a informal way just to show off his muscles or his Armani sweatshirt. And he's wearing a tie over his sweatshirt I can't. bye

Lindo TACHIBANA - The brother. Can't (and shouldn't) sing. And hmm maybe she should introduce him to someone who's... idk, NOT BLOOD RELATED!? Stop. Incest is not cool.

Shiki NATSUMEZAKA - You know the show is not that good when the psycho character seems most normal. Um idk he's cool unless you open up his freezer. Honestly this is the only character that's interesting to me.

Urie SOGAMI - Calls girls butterflies. That's all, good day and good night.

And the girl... TACHIBANA RITSUKA (you will easily remember her name because they mention it at least 40 times each episode) is basically nothing except for cute and pretty....

• Wise? - NOPE
  • Smart? - NOPE
  • Interesting at all? - NOPE
  • Cute and Pretty? YEAH! Her grimoire brings all the boys to the yard... and I'm not joking literally ALL THE BOYS

So yeah those are basically the characters. I like some of them but to be honest no one is well developed or interesting. 6/10

OVERALL

This was a great idea.

Not sure. It sucks that this show has such a good animation and it had potential and could have been a decent... 5-way romance thing. But the singing is throwing it in a wrong direction.

So I'll give it a 6/10. Meh.

That's it! Thanks for reading my review! I'd recommend this anime to musical lovers, diabolik lovers, and basically anyone who likes watching guys make a fool of themselves in front of a ''nothing but pretty'' girl.

Rate if you found this review helpful, funny, or just like it. I have more anime reviews so check them out if you want!

Thanks and have a nice day ^^

Nikki12360's avatar
May 28, 2018

This is one of the worst anime's I have ever watched. Let me break down why.

This anime is a musical. It is a very poorly written and sung musical. It seems the storyline was meant to be performed in a theater on a stage. Somehow it was made into an anime instead. Includes:

• Useless costume changes
  • Random dream and scene changes
  • Horridly acted death scenes
  • Generic (and annoying)characters
  • Predictable plot
  • Bad voice overs....and so much more.

In all honesty, it probably deserves a lower ranking but I have sat through worse. I actually on finished the whole series so I could write this honestly.

If you are hard up to fill our anime/romantic fix, then this is a watch at your own risk!

SymphonicQuartz's avatar
Sep 10, 2021

SPOILERS BELOW

Okay to start this review off. DONT WATCH THE ENGLISH DUB!
It is so cringe its. the worse thing Ive ever heard... the singing anyway. the talking parts are fine in dub but the singing in dub is just not it. If you guys want to hear good songs just listen to the japanese version of the songs. there worth it in the end.

To get on to the actually review the story in its self is okay. Its Diabolik Lovers but with actually plot and the males arent abusers. The female protagonist. Ritsuka,  supposiable has this important plot but her freakin brother/cousin, Lindo (its an adoptive realtionship) has more story and feel to him than her. mother trucker finds out hes a vampire hyprid and has to deal with that for the rest of his life, becames a god worshipper over it where he constantly gets abused by the priest in actions all while miss sunshines mom is missing and instead of taking it safe she does stupid stuff like leave the house when its clearly something fishy going on and following around dudes she barley knows. then has the audacity to get scared when they kidnap her, chase her, or use her as bate. I understand she wants to save her mother but at times it makes me wonder why she doesnt just jump of a cliff because how many near death experiences this girl has in 12 episodes is insane.

its also weird that the writers are trying to convince you that this is a reverse harem but the only person that shows true romantic intrest is,  Rem. the other boys come off more like they are fasinated with her than anything. no real connecting with her besides the grimwar thing going on(is that how you spell it? IDK). The deaths in this series are also so bland. Her friends dies and we are suppose to cry for her but we barley even knew her as a character. She was just there to be a plot twist and the emotional support for Ritsuka.

The animation in the end was very bland. They never really did much besides the fighting scenes which is clearly where most of the budget went besides to the clean art style. There very expressionless and we as the audience have to figure out emotions through the voices (which the EnglishDub and JapaneseDub did a fantastic job in doing).

All in all this is good anime if your intrested in pretty art and side stories but if your looking for a main plot line. Its very little. its crazy how much we focus on the main plot and in the end get nothing but a cliff hanger. like it was going to get a second season. It came out in 2015... I dont think its getting :/

PurplePeopleEater's avatar
Jan 17, 2016

Decent story but the singing could have been left out. When I originally read the summary of it before it came out, I liked the concept. When I found out there was singing, I was far less impressed. It's an interesting idea. Half anime Half musical. I hate musicals.

It is kind of one of those weird animes trying to be different from everything else and experimenting with odd ideas. Well it is different, but different doesn't mean better. I felt the songs weren't very important and came in at odd times. It didn't flow and it needs to flow. Sometimes you would see the character singing and then the character would be standing still or doing something else with his or her mouth closed while the song kept going. Overall, lets leave the musicals out of the animes. Please.

The story has an okay concept but it lacks depth and development. Maybe it's attempt to be a musical has effected it's ability to be a good story or maybe its because it is short. (Why do they keep making animes 12 episodes long? It's too short!). Anyway it's characters are okay but not very deep and all predictable. Actually all of it is predictable.

I wasn't too thrilled with the ending either. The decision she made was probably best since there is no guarentee there will be a second season in fact I am 95% sure there won't be (and I wouldn't watch it if there was one) because the other choice would have left too many questions and openings to wrap up the story. Good choice to end it in a way but I don't think that needed to be part of the story period.

Overall I give a 5 out of 10....

Kirrishar's avatar
Nov 12, 2016

I LOVED this anime!!! The ending was not what I expected it to be either. This reverse Harem anime is filled with music. As a person who loves musicals this was excellent to me. I would kind of look at this like a Phanton Of the Opera kind of thing.

Singing to express things, singing during battle. I sat and was actually getting upset when there was only 1 song in teh 2nd episode and it was near the end. I wanted MORE!! lol

The songs each fit the character that was singing them. The muscle, Mage, is your typical beefy blone who has power and usually, in his words, has women fall for him due tot his. His musical number with the lead female was very well suited with the yellow lamborghini (I could be wrong on the car type) and him being the wealthy man flashing money yet able to kick butt. It made sense.

I like reverse harems because of the character dynamics, and while this was called one, I am not sure I consider this one. It wasn't like she was toying with the men or their affections. It wasn't like Diabolik Lovers where they forced themselves upon her and harmed her and treated her like an object.... which I made it through that one and hated it. This one the feelings developed quickly due to 12 episodes but it felt more like a preogression than sudden lust, except for the lethario of the group.

I have already reccomended this to many of my theater friends.