Cyberpunk: Edgerunners - Reviews

Lvand's avatar
Sep 13, 2022

Netflix's Edgerunners is a Straight Shot of Adrenaline.
"Bout Time I Chrome The F Up."

Holy Nova!
Edgerunners
succeeds in areas where the video game quite couldn't, but it's still able to implement a lot of things from the game which I'm glad, from the music to the little details like hearing that iconic line "Goood Morning Night City" said atleast once to other obvious nods to the game like receiving a simple call and hearing that ring/alert. I've been recently playing a lot of the game myself for the last four months, pouring countless of hours into it and I must say I felt right at home when I binged Edgerunners but not to worry, you won't need to know anything from the game to follow the show's story but as always, it does help with understanding what type of place Night City is. Edgerunners delivers high octane action scenes with a surprisingly strong dramatic story as we follow the life of a troubled young teen boy who struggles to live a normal life with his mum, but after tragedy strikes he is forced to grow up fast and quickly witnesses first hand the harsh reality of surviving and living life in Night City.

The characters in Edgerunners are very bombastic on the surface but get very likeable and interesting as the show progresses forward. The show is led by our main character David Martinez, a smart but troublesome teen that cares dearly for those close to him but after a devestating tragedy, he is forced to learn on how to survive the streets of Night City. As he struggles to adapt, his life later takes another drastic turn as he meets a mysterious, white haired girl by the name of Lucy. Throughout David's journey, he's accompanied by some great characters that compliment him well from his explosive, fun crew to the more condemning and tricky protagonists of the show. The characters are fantastic and are definitely a highlight for the show.

Studio TRIGGER (Kill la Kill) does their thing here and nail it by not holding back with the nudity, blood and gore, showing off their unique style. The animation and its wild colors, adrenaline-fuelled action scenes and trippy effects make Edgerunners such a fun watch from start to finish. The music is brilliant, taking most of its tracks from the game as well as the solid opener; This FFFire by Franz Ferdinand, same goes for the sound effects which were perfectly done. The voice acting was solid with a noticible performance from the one and only Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, Far Cry 6), so I highly recommend watching this in English this time around but to each their own. Overall Edge is a excellent kickass show that exceeds my expectations with its visual spectacle and engaging story and characters, it's also not afraid to show you some nudity and violence. Here's hoping more people would also find interest in the world of Cyberpunk and maybe even give the game a try or another chance, since it's in a much healthier state right now.

+ Gorgeous Animation and Sound

+ Engaging Story and Characters

+ High Octane Action and BLOOD AND VIOLENCE!

hope this helps...🤙

9.5/10 story
9.6/10 animation
9.4/10 characters
9.4/10 overall
ferengi4's avatar
Sep 14, 2022

I came into this show as someone who found some enjoyment in Cyberpunk 2077 but not enough to really become a fan (I was uber hyped before it released like many). I am a huge Studio Trigger fan though.

I found the story to be very fun and engaging all the way up until the last few episodes where it lost me a bit before finishing off really nicely. I found the world more fleshed out and believable than what the game has done for the world of Cyberpunk. I also found the story in the anime more interesting than what we got in the game as well.

Animation:

It's studio Trigger... it's obviously amazing, fresh, and vibrant the entire time. There was some CGI vehichles mixed in but they almost fully blended in with the show and wasn't an eyesore

Sound:

I loved the soundtrack, wasn't expecting an English soundtrack and it fit really well with the show and the cyberpunk universe.

Many enjoyable characters, found some were better/more enjoyable than ones in the game. None that I hated but there was a few character designs that I thought looked goofy but it was mostly 1-2 second lasting enemies or enemies we don't meet for long. The main cast were very well done, and glad they showed off a lot of the fashion in the game.

Overall:

While I am certain that this will never get close to the money earned as the game has, I'd wouldn't be surprised if the anime outlives the game in popularity. The show is engaging and fun, with very few to no problems with the animation, sound, or plot. Studio Trigger raising the bar once again and can't wait to see there next project!

molopower's avatar
Sep 14, 2022

I'm a big fan of the game. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners delivered on fronts. It's a gritty and depressing look at what goes on in night city. The action is astonishingly good, animated by trigger the studio behind classics like Kill la kill, they did a really good job. Edgerunners is really faithful to the game, from locations, characters, UI, and sounds, it's truly amazing to see the world of cyberpunk 2077 animated for our televisions. The story and characters are on par with the actual game, you cannot skip this one.

antoniof06's avatar
Sep 18, 2022

I can't believe it, I never thought I would cry so much with this anime, it's fucking 4 am here and I can't sleep with depression after the end of the anime...

I just wish they went to the moon together ❤️🙁

Curiousmadra's avatar

**SPOILERS WATCH THIS ANIME BEFORE READING THIS REVIEW**

I really enjoyed this anime like I’m not too deep into the whole Cyberpunk series but I’ve heard good enough things about the games that I get the idea what they are about. First of all, I really loved the art like my god, Trigger know how to create their colours well by making everything that your eyes would thank you for blessing them with great visuals. The gradient colouration and the nightlife backgrounds make you feel as if you’re there alongside what the characters are doing. I still wouldn’t call this anime the greatest out there because it is quite predictable that our main lead David is getting laid with best girl in town, Lucy. I didn’t like the fact his personality changed when he got to be buff mid way, it was like as if he wanted to be the first place chad alongside the late Maine. I get it he wants to be the “hero that everyone knows” but I really wanted him to be himself. The “whole gang dying” sequence reminded me of another well known anime so that kinda was a bit of a turn off for me dawg. HOWEVER again, I did find this anime entertaining as I haven’t seen a Trigger anime in a damn long time!

Secondly, I enjoyed the music like it felt like I was at a concert because they really were easy listening. I wouldn’t call them big bangers but they still were decent enough to sway your head, especially both OP and ED. I might probably have to give each the songs a proper listen after this so I don’t forget them lol.

Lastly, I really liked Becca out of the whole group. Yes she may be a hot tempered lolli but my god, that girl really is smart when it comes to anything! She took no crap from anyone at all, she literally has no filter yall!

Don’t miss out watching this anime in 2022!

7.8/10 overall