Cyber City Oedo 808 - Reviews

TheStampede01's avatar
May 22, 2012

Can't believe theres not a review for this here, anyway this is one of my personal favourites, beacuse it just has a lot of what I like it anime and ofcourse Yoshiaki Kawajiri characters and violence.

Story- Okay so the story is set in the future and it revolves around these 3 criminals who have VERY low chance for parole, but they have some unique skills. So what happens is that if these guys do what the government tells them to, they can reduce the amount of years on their sentence. There are 3 episodes and each focuses on one of our main characters. I really enjoyed the first 2 eps, but I though the third was a bit lacking and trying too hard to be actually good, instead of a fun gore-fest, with a somehat understable plot. Atleast it had a robotic panther that shot lasers from its mouth...

Animation- If your a fan of such works like Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Highlander and Demon City Shinjuku, you know what to expect. Very detailed character designs, fluid animation and lots of great action scenes.

Sound- The OST has a very 80's feel and if you don't like 80's music you are not going to like this very much. The version I watched was the U.K version and apparantly it has a different sountrack and the opening theme just kicks ass.

Characters- Well like I mentioned there are 3 main chars Sengoku, Merill and Gabimaru (it's okay I couldn't take him seriously either with a name like that). Each of the episodes focuses one of these guys and I think they use their run-time efficiently. Personally I think Merill's ep and development was kind of weak, but aside from that they are your typical anti-hero guys with hearts of gold.

Overall- A very fun 3 episode OVA. Not something you should take very seriously. Just watch and enjoy and obviously if your not into violence, cyberpunk and explosions and what not, your probably not going to find this very entertaining.

7.5/10 story
8.5/10 animation
7.5/10 characters
megafat's avatar
Sep 30, 2019

To help try and lower the crime rates, the Cyber Police unit decided to employ hardened criminals with talents suited to certain jobs by promising to reduce their sentences if they comply. Cyber City Oedo 808 follows three such criminals, Sengoku, Gogol, and Bentan, who happen to be serving more than 300 years each in an orbital penitentiary. And how do the keep these criminals in check? They give them collars that can be remotely detonated, killing them instantly, if they don't do what they're supposed to.

Each episode focuses on one of the criminals, meaning that none of them go without being featured in the spotlight. With the little amount of time that this OVA is given, a mere three episodes, I think that this is probably the best way to deal with this anime. Sure, the overall plot is ends up being slightly underdeveloped in places, but as a result each character ends up being memorable in their own way.

The first episode focuses on Sengoku, sent into try and save 50,000 people trapped in Oedo's largest skyscraper after it's central computer is mysteriously taken over, with the only suspect being a dead man. The second episode focuses on Gogol, who is up against a mility cyborg as he crosses paths with his ex-partner. The third episode follows Benten, who investigates one man's quest for immortality, as well as comping across a young woman who seems to have been transformed into a vampire with telekinesis powers as a result of the quest for immortality.

As a result of each episode focusing on a different character, each has it's own feeling, playing off each characters characteristics. As a result, each episode has it's own distinct moments to go along with each their respective characters.

The series comes with an awesomely cheesy English dub, filled has lots of unnecessary swearing. I was never really bothered by it, since it adds to the cheesy nature of the series, but I can see how some people might be annoyed at the strenuous amount of cursing. This leads to this OVA's most infamous line "You wouldn't know if a Vampire bit you on the end of your fucking dick." Sure, it goes in different direction than the original dub, but considering the time this dub came out, awesomely cheesy is probably the best we could hope for. Either way, you still have the original dub if that annoys you.

There were actually 2 different versions of the dub. Both use the exact same voice actor dialogue, but in the UK version, the soundtrack is completely different. The soundtrack for the UK dub was done by a British musician, Rory Mcfarlane. He did do some of scoring obscure video games and anime, but he had a much more prolific career as a session musician for Richard Thompson's band, who is an English singer, songwriter, and guitarist. That version seems to be hard to find these days, but you could always find a copy that has that particular dub by sailing the seven seas of the internet. The soundtrack in the UK version is appropriately cheesy rocky music, sounding right out of the late 80s, early 90s.

While the UK version has both it's energetic rock moments and more upbeat atmospheric tracks, the original Japanese soundtrack has a few catchy songs too. But the stand out track is the beautiful ballad "Aishiteru kamoshirenai" (Maybe I'm in love with you) by Hidemi Miura as the ED. Both versions of the soundtrack are fantastic in their own rights, but for completely different reasons.

Cyber City Oedo 808 might come from a different era of anime, but it's one of the stand out titles from that time period, when the anime boom could produce some more unique titles. It's not perfect, but it does have a ton to appreciate, such as it's setting, animation, soundtrack, and even characters to a certain extent, and is highly entertaining. Cyber City Oedo 808 comes highly recommended.

Jevinie's avatar
Aug 4, 2013

Its a short anime, lots of cursing, the main charcters are very colourful. The jist of the story is crooks and cons playing Police to get their jail sentances reduced, each episode focuses on the 3 main charcters individually.   For this, its worth the time to watch the 30 minutes episodes, the anime is "short and sweet" no dragged out plots or fillers that come with the longer animes. The puns are kind of funny and the charcters are more or less likeable.

Over all Verdit: 7.0 " Its worth the time to watch".