Cosplay Complex

Add review
ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
May 2, 2012

This series is supposed to be about cosplay. But it only ends up being a shallow ecchi series that aims at otakus who dig costume fetishes.

ART SECTION: 6/10 [Fetishes as far as the eye can see.]
- The general artwork isn’t anything special. Shapes and colors are of average quality.
- There is an awful amount of stale images and SD scenes but all these can be excused as this is a comedy.
- There is an awful amount of nude and underwear as well. Much more than in most ecchi series out there. And it is even excused, as the female cast continually changes cloths. The fact that the characters undress all the time in order to wear sensational costumes, makes them look sexy both while being undressed AND while being dressed. So, if you dig boobies and panties, get ready for a whole bunch of those.
- All female characters are based on Japanese sexual phantasies. They are part of the fan service as well. We have the clutz one, the lesbian, the cute girl, the pedophile (yikes!), the little plastic miniature (WTF?), the shy one with glasses, the violent one and many, many more.
- A note-worthy part in the series is the cosplay itself. All the costumes are a referance to an anime series, so it is a nice game to see how many series you can recognize. Just in case, there is a special video that reveals all the answers.
- The series flirts not only with costume fetishes but with sexual fantasies as well. There are several jokes that circle around bondage, homosexuality and pedophilia. Furthermore, in some cases you are really given the impression that the real thing did happen and it is not a joke anymore. If you like this sort of thing, then you will laugh your hearts out. If not, you will be disgusted.

SOUND SECTION: 6/10 [Fetish is the name of the game.]
Perky voices and wacky music themes is all you will find in here. None are great and yet none sound stupid. A bit better than average.

STORY SECTION: 3/10 [I want to become the best cosplayer in the world!]
The story is about a team of girls who are training and participating in school cosplay events. They are supposed to love doing it and that they consider it to be a way of life. But with all the fan service going around, it never gets any deeper than having silly girls posing sexually for horny males who photograph them and possibly later on masturbate on the pictures. Seriously! The storywriters try several times to add events that are supposed to make the story sound serious but it all comes down to sleazy fan service. Nothing more. The story is only three episodes long and ends in quite a vague and dry way. Therefore all the romance and training and the emotions are just a front for sexual phantasies. Nothing more.

CHARACTER SECTION: 3/10 [The cast is acting based on the manual of clichés.]
As I said, the characters are just stereotypes of sexual phantasies. All their personality and behavior is nothing more that clichés such women are supposed to be making. And there is no character development either. A totally fake and flat cast.

VALUE SECTION: 1/10 [How much do you want in order to undress for me?]
Not rewatchable or even memorable. I prefer to watch the real thing in hardcore hentai than to be implied all the time. And the jokes are not that good the second time around.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 5/10 [-Do you feel the passion of cosplay? –Ah-huh! (looks at her boobies).]
Very funny and kinda arousing half the time if you understand the whole cosplay fuss. The silly attempts at presenting a story and the blunt ending are what damage the viewing.

VERDICT: 4/10
Who cares about your dramatic past? Just take your cloths off you bimbo!

SUGGESTION LIST
Genshiken is the best anime for learning about the true image of an otaku.

PandaBeard's avatar
Jun 12, 2010

Cosplay Complex

Beginners beware!! Cosplay Cromarti High School lovers enjoy. I came across this while reviewing for Animation Runner Kuroumi. I felt positive when listening to the opening theme, feeling good about this anime, thinking that it was going to be quite the slice of life. Mistake!  While watching this anime it felt like a mixture of the Genshiken Series and Charlie's Angels. With elements leaning more towards Ecchi more than Hentai. Even though  I gave the Genshiken Series a quite the good rating and I love the occasional Ecchi, This anime does nothing for me. Definalty for the Cosplay lover.Characters feel very generic. Possibly stolen animation from a really bad Sega CD game. I feel that is OVA is very manufactured and was used for some promotional advertising. Selling some sort of glitter for nails or cellphones in Haraijuku. Soundtrack is not even noticable. Just average if not mundane. Story is typical, like a love epidode of Saved By The Bell but all  you can think about is "What is up with the pink owl?"  This anime is not for everyone. For the cosplayer at heart. Someone who is more famliar with the anime world and the Japanese mind.

<div>