Corpse Party: Tortured Souls

Add review
YariMari's avatar
Aug 25, 2015

(Only minor spoilers in this review)

Corpse party is... okay. It's not the best horror anime I've seen, but it's definetly not the worst either. Be warned, there are a lot of gore and violence, as well as some ecchi. It's interesting enough to watch (since it's only about 2 hours in total), but it could have been better. Have in mind that I have not played the game.

It's your typical horror story; some school kids perform a ritual and end up in a school that's haunted by the spirits of dead children and their victims. To escape, they have to solve the mystery of what really happened to the children, and set their spirits free.

The story works. It's unoriginal and predictable, but it works. However, you never know who will survive, or if anyone will survive, which I think is really good. The ending was also a surprise, as well as the characters actions.

The reason I give it a little above average on the story is because it had a few holes in it and they didn't show everything that happened (probably because the time wasn't enough). There were quite a few things left unexplained and some things the characters did were just plain stupid. I mean "this guy just told me there are ghosts here and the floor is filled with blood and corpses.. well, I'm gonna go find a toilet because I really need to pee right now, we can catch up later, bye!".

Animation:

The character design and the animation was great. The gore was terrifying and well done, the lightning and shadows were spot on and the creepy stuff were indeed creepy. I liked the fact that the gore worked and was part of the story, and not just "there for show". Some facial expressions and minor things could improve, but overall the animation and art style was very good.

Sound:

The sound helped create a creepy and mysterious atmosphere. The voices fit for each character (jap) and the soundtrack was good.

Oh damn.... this is where it really fell for me. It was almost like the creators though "hey, this guy/gal is just gonna die soon anyway, there's no need to give him/her a personality". They all had one of three personalities: 1. The stupid and scared one. 2. The stupid one that wants to save everyone and get them all out of there. 3. The stupid one that turned crazy. Did I mention they were all incredibly stupid?

There were however some characters you "kinda liked" and some you "kinda hated", but most of them were just there. There was no one I was particularly fond of and I couldn't care less about the ones who died.

Overall:

As I said, it was okay. I recommend you give it a try if you like horror, blood and gore, but that's mainly because it's so short you won't lose much if you don't like it. However, if you are easily irritated when the characters make a stupid decision or hate plot holes, then this is not the anime for you. I have heard the game is much better, so maybe you should give that a try instead.

FearTheFourth's avatar
Nov 1, 2015

Corpse Party: Tortured Souls is the perfect anime for the halloween/fall season. With only four episodes, this anime is the perfect substituion for one hour and a half scary movie. Becoming more of a gory mystery series rather than a horror anime, there are still enough chilling and suspenseful to keep you on the edge of your seat. I reccomend this to anyone looking to add to their list of the scary/unsettling genre. Plus that ending will just leaving you with the most bone chilling feeling ever! (Watch after the credits of the last episode for sure.) BTW If these four episodes let you wanting more. Whether it be back story or more character development, I recommend that you play at least the first Corpse Party game for PSP which you can download to your vita from the Playstation store. If you at all enjoyed the anime and want to go more in depth then the video game is a MUST.

SPOILERS!!!!

For anyone wondering how the last guy didn't make it back, i have an explanation. He Naomi picking something off the corpse in a previous scene and asked her what she was doing. She replied, "nothing." Later, he asked the ghost of that dead girl what happens to someone who doesn't use their piece of the paper doll when they return to the real world. We never get to hear her response. Now, when the three of them are going to return he knows that she has a piece of paper from one of the dead members of the group. He knows that she can't return with that piece because it's original owner is dead. Instead, he offers her his own piece and says that he will use his sister's piece, knowing full well she is dead and he will not be able to return with them. So in essence, he sacrificed himself so that she could get back to the real world. But after watching after the credits, who really came out on top of that one?? All in all I think it was a great twist.

7.7/10 overall
anxme's avatar
Sep 11, 2015

Not going to lie, this is a pretty messed up anime though, I did watch the entire thing so not sure what that says about me. It's not really what I would consider scary though, for an anime, it is pretty gory and graphic. The story line is pretty solid and I have to admit, it was fairly interesting. It's kind of hard to grasp the characters and their personality however as some of them are really only seen for a short time and I think perhaps this is something that could have been developed. In all honesty, there were a few cliche horror moves made by the characters that are central to the story and I was left questioning the characters intelligence more than once throughout the four episodes but, it wasn't terrible.

PhoebeOtaku's avatar
Feb 6, 2016

This is what i would call a substition for a horror film; the suspense and hard core gore is perfect for the halloween season or to freak you and your friends out with. The ending is truly gripping and interesting, and throughout the episodes you learn more and more about the story. This anime is truly gripping. The ending almost made me sad - you will find it out when you watch it i was actually confused for a moment but its so good i wont spoil it.

What i did like about this anime was the story line, i thought it was interesting and it was carried out quite well although it wasnt anything original or outstandingly amazing. I liked the fact tehre was never a dull moment and what you think happened is suddenly changed as well as your percpective of the characters. There are a lot of twists and turns which i found enjoyable. The quality of anime isnt great but what i would call worth watching. its also short so what have you got to lose?

I didnt like the lack of character development as it was a bit rushed, i do wish it was slightly longer. A few of the characters did annoy me as well, i thought their desicons were unrealistic and stupid sometimes, such as

SMALL SPOILER

when Satoshi leaves Yuka with some little girl he has never seen to go to the toilet outside ALONE?! its so unrealistic especially in that situation. It was his little sister like he would let her out of sight in that situation?. Also i found the lack of fear was unrealistic with some of the characters - they became way to used with the situation too quickly it just wouldnt be the case.

Despite his stupidity - due to the contributuon of the ending - Satoshi is my favoruite character. he was the one i connected with the most and found the most enjoyable to watch. i loved how he looked after everyone, especially Yuka. I feel so sorry for him due to the circumstances that occur and his lack of selfishness was very endearing to me (again the ending you will see what i mean)

I would recommend this NOT to the light hearted as the gore did make me cringe in some areas. Would i say this anime is scary? not to me but gore was 10/10. This is definitley something i would watch again and again. Watch in the dark with no light for the best affect but I would say it may cause a lack of food throughout XD

noname0302's avatar
Oct 26, 2015

Rules of a survival horror:

1. Stay together

2. Dont split up

3. Both of the above mentioned.

Corpse party is basically a survival horror. This means it suffers from the same miskates survival horrors do, but it also has a lot of the positives of one. A huge positive would be the story. They have a good number of plot-twists and they are actually good. If it wasnt for the horror part, Corpse party would actually be a good mistery anime. Another plus would be the very good but exaggerated(this is also a negative) visuals and sounds. Negatives include the stupidity of the characters and SPOILER: their reactions to deaths. When your sibling dies in your hands after being brutally tortured, you dont walk it off in 5 minutes.  SPOILER END.

Story: the story is surpisingly good. It is a very good mistery for a 1.5 hour anime. Probably the best feature of the anime. A story like this would work with the likes of Ghost Hunt too. 7.5/10

Animation: very good, but far exaggerated. People dont break so easily. You cant cut someones head in two with a knife and a piece of wood wont decapitate you. They overdid the gore part. A lot. Im kind of mad because of that. The anime would be on par with Ghost Hunt if it wasnt for the ridiculous amount of blood in it. 7/10

Sounds: Also exaggetared, but very strong. The sounds add a lot to the overall feeling. 8/10

Characters: Sachiko is awesome, but most characetrs are pretty weak and very stupid. They make bad decisions that cost them a lot and their reactions are strange sometimes.  I feel like they were in a hurry to release these 4 episodes instead of making lets say 6-7 episodes to present the characters or give them decent reactions.

For example when they find mutilatedc bodies they barely break a sweat. Im not one with a weak stomach, but this should be way more shocking, survival instinct or not. Another example would be the first episdes. You find yourself in a school thats haunted and react completely nonchalantly. Ffs, I have a bigger panic reaction when I put my phone in the wrong pocket and cant find it for a second.

4/10

Overall. Its a good anime, but some things are missing. The character reactions are off, the gore is too much and it weakens an otherwise very strong atmosphere. For example my personal favorite: Ghost Hunt.
Less scares, low amounts of violence and blood, but it was scarier. The ridiculous amount of blood didnt break the scare, the characters natural reactions made you capable of empathy. Here, it doesnt work all that well. I like this anime, I actually consider it superior to Another(same problems, but far better story) and I would recommend it to fans of: Ghost Hunt, Another, Shiki, Elfen Lied maybe When they cry. 7/10

Have fun!

7.5/10 story
NicoNicoDesu's avatar
Jan 19, 2014

DISCLAIMER: I have never played the original game, but I have watched a LP of it.

Story: The story is typical fare--a bunch of highschoolers get shipped off to a creepy place dripping in atmosphere. Now what, pray tell, does this anime in particular do to make this interesting?

Uh...

Well, they do make it pretty scary...

Truth be told, this is one of those anime that will, at times, manage to make you pause the episode, turn on all the lights, and keep watching. However, "at times" refers to about two or three scenes in the entire anime. The anime does really well when it ups its already well-done atmosphere in such a way that will make anyone's heartbeat speed up. But the anime doesn't do this too often, especially since it later trades the eerie moments for gore-fests.

And what gore-fests they are.

Holy crap, this anime is disgusting. Blood (I can handle this), intestines-ripping (I can handle this), decapitation (I can handle this), tongue-cutting (I can handle this), eye-stabbing (HELL NO), anything goes. I watch and read quite a few violent and bloody things, but this anime is just crazy. Usually, this type of anime is heavily censored, but I easily found an uncensored version of this anime. (This is not a bad thing at all, because there's no stupid shadowing or pixelation.)

And, while the gore is definitely a defining point of the anime, it is a little too obvious and kills the dark atmosphere of the show and almost makes it ridiculous.

Oh, and speaking of ridiculous... this show is a (very mild) ecchi. Yep.

Finally, the "bad end" feel of the show (without spoiling, people die) could be a turn-off to some fans of the game.

Animation: The show itself looks quite nice. The color palette is near-excellent, with everything draped in darkness. The anime also takes advantage of interesting camera angles and techniques. And, of course, the quality of the gore is to die for (sorry, sorry).

And now, for the bad.

Out-of-place fanservice. The anime chooses to show pantsu at the most terrible moments--the last thing I want during a creepy, hide-your-eyes-behind-your-hands scene is a panty shot. Seriously, this show needs to learn the meaning of SUBTLETY IS NOT A BAD IDEA.

In addition, the character designs are bland and the differences in hair are the only way to tell people apart. This is somewhat an issue created by the original game, but the anime does nothing to improve on it.

Sound: First and foremost, the OP is beautiful. I love it. The ED is "meh" in comparison. There's only one itty-bitty problem--this is one of those OVAs that would benefit from being a longer series. Scare after scare, murder after murder is not the way to go if a series wants impact. So why is there a (rather lengthy) OP and ED for each episode? Whatever.

The OST is fine, and adds nice touches to the scenes.

But the voice acting is actually quite good, even though some of the voices are so annoying you'll want to punch your computer screen (YUKA) or you won't care when the characters scream (YUKAYUKAYUKA). Each seiyuu manages to fit his/her character well, which is great and all, but I wish there would be more silence in the anime. It feels like every second is filled up with some voice work, whether it be a scream or a gasp or anything.

The voices during the torture moments? They are ready to disturb you for life.

Characters: Four episode OVAs cannot achieve much character development. They just can't. Four episode OVAs which kill off characters like there's no tomorrow cannot achieve any character development.

In addition, nearly every character is an IDIOT. I mean, I get that they're all in a bad situation, but DAMN.

Mochida Satoshi: He is the typical shonen lead. That's about it. There's a reason he's not exactly a super-popular character (outside of the series. Within the series, it seems like every girl has the hots for him).

Nakashima Naomi: I have a friend who likes Naomi a lot, and it seems that she's rather popular. So let me be blunt--I hate her. She's annoying and whiny, and I get that "OMG bad stuff happened to her OMG OMG how can you be so heartless she's so strong OMG" and guess what? I don't care. She's just another tsundere who can't handle herself and needs to man up. Geez, woman.

Kishinuma Yoshiki: I don't hate him. Not only is he actually a go-getter who's caring and kind, but he's also an effing BADASS when he wants to be. Oh, and he's hot (especially in the manga). Once again, though, he is a static character.

Shinozaki Ayumi: Hats off to her for getting stuff done. Hats back on because she likes Satoshi. I'm not criticizing her taste in guys (even though the guy with her is way hotter and cares for her a lot), but rather how it defines her actions. If this series wanted to make Satoshi the main guy in a harem, they should have done that instead of making a horror.

Mochida Yuka: Satoshi's good-for-nothing loli sister.

Shinohara Seiko: Another perverted comic relief. Hey, studios, please STOP MAKING THESE CHARACTERS!

Morishige Sakutarou: I hate this guy, but I hate him even more because the anime leaves out an important point about him from the game.

Suzumoto Mayu: I hate her, too. But she does wear shimapan, if you care.

Shishido Yui: Caring and protective teacher type. Wait, am I not supposed to be spouting tropes?

Naho: Very likely the only female character I like a lot. Her character wasn't fully explored in the anime, but she's still likable.

There are other characters (most notably sexy beast Kizami), but I won't go in depth.

Overall: If you want gore, then go watch this right now. If you don't desperately need your blood quota for the day, try out the RPG or manga instead. This anime feels like a tired adaptation that, if executed better, could have been improved immensely.

2.5/10 characters
laevvateinn's avatar
Jun 10, 2018

I watched this after playing the game and was pretty disappointed. Felt like they threw away a lot of valuable plot and character moments to fit more pointless gore. I like horror and gore, but not when it is used constantly for solely shock value and jeopardizes the actual plot of the series. A lot was changed from the game, which is fine but saddened me because I was hoping to see moments I loved in the game appear in the animation. I think it is worth a watch if you're not a die-hard fan of the game like me, and you don't mind prioritizing gore over plot and character.

ReikaSasaki's avatar
Aug 17, 2013

Well as a true horror fan I have to say this one deserves an 12/13 episode Anime.

Finally a horror who isn't afraid to use innards and more gory stuff, nothing is censored and the murders are really gruesome.

No one is spared so far.

I have to say as a writer myself the story itself could've been better, the basics of a small game taken from some resource that leads the characters into this nightmare has been used a lot without real reason how the game that does this was created.

But besides that amazing visuals, rotten bodies, scary tortured (see title) ghosts, and creepy surroundings. Not to forget the amazing bloodshed and lack of censoring (which can be so annoying in most series take Dangan ronpa for instance.

I hope a full serie will be made. Who's with me?

Anyone who loves creepy, innocent (and not so innocent) characters, ghosts, curses, lots of blood and innards.

Then watch Corpse Party Tortured Souls

aryancoconut's avatar
Jul 15, 2017

Corpse Party: Tortured Souls is one hell of a clusterfuck. It's a gore fest, it's way too graphic, it's exaggerated, and it's not a bad show either, despite how much I feel like insulting it. I would be lying if I said I didn't watch this for the gore, because honestly, that is the sole reason why I watched it. And I got what I wanted - not much more, but certainly nothing less. It's actually kind of good, in my opinion. It has an interesting premise and plot, decent animation, and a so-so soundtrack. I think it warrants 6/10.

For such a short number of episodes, I actually found the plot to be portrayed quite well. We find ourselves in a room full of seemingly derpy kids who are planning on trying a charm that probably nobody even believes in, only to find themselves becoming cursed in a haunted nursery because some bonehead fucked it up. It's intriguing and draws you in right from the start because, naturally, you want to find out what becomes of them now that they've fucked up, and you want to see their reactions to being placed in such a horrific situation.

I found it to be easy to follow, and not overly complex to the point where you had no bloody clue about what was going on. For something so graphic and violent, it was surprisingly easy to understand and enjoy, and for me, the supernatural elements and horrific deaths were really entertaining. (Wow, I sound like a sadist.) Now don't get me wrong, the actual story wasn't particularly innovative or anything that stood out above other similar series, but it was definitely creative and interesting, so it's worthy of credit.

I suppose I really can't comment on character development because it's not exactly possible to see people change and grow in such a short series. The characters are, well, extremely average. They're not exciting, they're not unique, they're not at all different from any other characters I've seen before, but somehow, they work quite well in this scenario. Something about seeing a bunch of regular high school students in such a horrific situation was entertaining, so I don't really have any major complaints other than their dull and lacklustre nature. If you want good characters and/or character development, you will not find it here.

The animation is mediocre, but it's still very fitting to the setting. I've never understood why seeing cute characters in shows that revolve around death and body horror is so fitting, because it really shouldn't be, but somehow it is. It's a little like Elfen Lied in that sense - they all look so cutesy which comes off as a contradiction of sorts. The actual setting design is rather well done, very dark and eery, and oh boy does it get graphic at times. I didn't decide to watch this for amazing animation; I came for blood and guts and that's what I got, so I have no complaints.

I'm not overly keen on the soundtrack but I suppose that's more down to personal taste than the actual quality of the show's music. It just never stood out enough to me, and I didn't really like the opening theme at all. The sound effects, though, are a different story altogether. Nothing like hearing the graphic squelch of someone's intestine being stepped on. The sound effects are truly disturbing and horrific and I mean that in the best way possible, which makes me sound like a psychopath. The sound effects make up for the lacking soundtrack entirely and really deliver the final blow, if you know what I mean.

My only real complaint is that it tries a little too hard. Sure, most people who watch Corpse Party and actually enjoy it are probably slightly deranged individuals such as myself but I do think they could have worked a bit harder on the characters and everything else that makes a good anime. One thing I can criticise is that it would have been more enjoyable and interesting if it was a few episodes longer and made room for proper character development and extension of the plot rather than cramming the whole thing into only a few episodes.

But I did enjoy this, and it's not bad by any means, so if you want to see entrails and blood, definitely watch it. Just don't expect a detailed and expertly portrayed story because that's not what it is. It's a good story but it's not the type you can really familiarise yourself with and grow to love. Just appreciate the satisfying body horror like I did.

aminonomino's avatar
Apr 25, 2020

I would like to stay honest so... (even though nobody gives a damn about it) ... here is my review.

The show had no proper storyline that really made much sense at the beginning, though in later episodes I think it rounded itself up quite well. The characters don't have much background info or personality, although what can you expect from a 4-ep gory anime??

The visuals were horribly realistic, the suspense was well-plotted too.

I suppose I would say if you're bored and looking for a bit of gore and suspense to get you ... upbeat again, this would be one of my reccomendations.

Caelina's avatar
Oct 3, 2014

If you have watched any horror/mystery series or movies in your life, there is a high chance that you will find this anime quite boring. The plot was predictable, characters were flat and the setting didn't offer anything new. I wonder if more episodes had been able to save this anime, since 4 OVAs didn't leave any room for character development. All in all, I felt that this anime had little to offer, unless seeing kids die in a high school makes you happy.

showergel1995's avatar
Jul 30, 2014

very bloody. it showed very sensitive footage. but who cares. it was cool. not really scary in my opinion

PurplePeopleEater's avatar
May 4, 2016

If you've read a lot of my other reviews then you know how much I tend to dislike short animes that are only ten or twelve or thirteen episodes long with only a few exceptions. This is four episodes and yet it was brilliant. It's a must watch if you like gore and horror.

Although I have never played the game, I read a lot of comments on episodes from people complaining that it doesn't match the game. That doesn't bother me. I don't play games and I only read manga if an anime was never finished. and only sometimes then, so it never bothers me that they don't always match up. However, if that bothers you then you may not like this since apparently it's quite different.

The fact this is in the horror genre is what makes it possible to be good and short (I explain down below). It's only 4 episodes but the pacing is steady, the characters are simple in a good way, the setting is a nice choice, and the plot twist and story work well with animation. The animators really did a good job about not skimping on the gore and grotesque scenes. Some of it was a bit comedic, but then again, I'm the kind of person who often finds horror comedic and somtimes finds comedy horrific. Seriously! Some comedies are just downright scarry! Anyway....back on track. If you liked animes such as Another, Higurashi, Shiki, or Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (although that's barely horror, it has some similar parts) then I highly suggest you watch this. If you end up not liking it, it's not like it took up much of your time anyway.

There really isn't much I can say about it without spoilers. It's really good. There were things I didn't like momentarily but eventually understood why it happened that way and didn't mind anymore. I think the quality could have been a bit better with sharper imagaes but I was watching it online so it may have just been that video. As far as sound goes, I really liked the opening, enough that I didn't skip it which is uncommon for me. The ending was a bit unexpected and I think I might have liked to know more about what happened after it was over but I wasn't dissatisfied with it and I didn't feel like it was lacking. Just don't expect any happy endings. Don't expect happy anything. The only somewhat lighthearted moments are at the very beginning. Although, the guy falling to his death then disappearing and falling again was kind of hillarious but that may just be my awful sense of humor kicking it.

I think horror is one of the best genres for short animes (btw, when I talk about horror, I mean the serious horror, not the comedic horror or things labeled horror simply because they have one tiny element of the genre). The stories almost develop themselves and usually pretty quickly. If you think about it, it doesn't take long to tell a ghost story around a campfire and scare people. Granted, encouraging the listeners imagination to run wild is an advantage an anime might not have since it shows you everything. The point is, you can have an effective story that develops quickly and doesn't take a lot of time to tell. Another advantage is it doesn't rely as heavily on character development. The focus is on the horror not the characters. You can have very simple characters that never really change which means you don't need to take time developing them. Also, it's horror. Some of them will be dead shortly anyway so developing them is a waste of time. That leads to another strength the horror genre has. In most other genres, the death of a character who was never well developed and that the audience knows little about isn't very powerful. The audience has to have time to conect to the character and see the character as a person in order for the death to have any real meaning. It can also work if the character is connected to a main character. In horror though, it's less about who is dying and more about how. It's aim isn't to make you cry or gain insight or anything fancy, it's to show some gore and freak you out. It can be a totally random character and still be useful. You can use a lot of sterotypical settings and characters and even deaths and still turn out something interesting. If you use stereotypical things then there is less to develop because the audience already understands it. If you don't have to waste time on character development and setting development and the story moves quickly then it's easy to be short. Personally, I prefer the ones dealing with "curses" and ghosts. Actually, I think horror anime, unless it's got a lot of another genre in it, is better short. If it's too long it will lose it's momentum and surprise and the story would get old. How often do you listen to a scary story around a campfire that takes five hours to tell? Probably never. Usually, if I do like a short anime, it's horror. One of my favorites is Another. I also thought the first four episodes of Higurashi could have been it's own seperate anime and been really good.

Milved's avatar
Oct 24, 2013

This series (I will call it a series even though it is actually 4 OVA's) was really good. It was really gory and scary and mysterious, especially the 1st OVA when I had no idea what would happen. It was gripping, though I suggest not to watch it at night because you will be freaked out.

I also enjoyed how it wasn't exactly a happy ending, with most people dying, but I feel that this is another plus to this series.

The only problem was that at some times I didn't understand who some of the characters were and how they were still alive and what they were doing there, but I think I will watch those episodes again and that will clear up the understanding.

Once again, this is a really great series and I absolutely suggest you to watch it if you enjoy a bloody, gory, mysterious story and are not afraid of people dying.

7.5/10 characters
Firndorn's avatar
Nov 24, 2013

Warning: DO NOT WATCH THIS ANIME, IF YOURE AFRAID OF PEOPLE DYING DISGUSTINGLY; AT NIGHT OR WHILE YOURE EATING!

This anime is not a normal horror anime. It is the horror anime.(Not like those pseudo horror animes, that aren't scary) It is very creepy, distgusting and there is a very mysterious story.

If you love see anime character dying some ways with much blood coming out of their wounds, you will love this anime. The story is well made. The first episode is a litte confusing, but good drawn. Later while some people get killed by I don't want to spoil, the blood is very realistic splashing all around. The sound is good.

The characters are all good, but for only four episodes, you need some time to realize, who is who. But it is good that this anime is very short, you can watch it in a very short time, if you're not scared ;)

YOU LOVE REAL HORROR ANIMES? THIS IS A MUST WATCH FOR YOU!!!

officialwerardgay's avatar
Jan 26, 2020

[SPOILERS]

Okay, first review ever on this site so sorry if it’s not great.

I’ve never played the game, disclaimer.

Overall I would give it a 6/10, there are some really interesting things about it but it’s definitely not one of the best anime I’ve ever watched.

Story (6/10): The story is kinda meh, it has its moments but since it’s only four episodes there’s not really much time for development. Basically the story heavily relied on “quick, let’s kill as many characters off as possible!” It went by really fast, not much happened other than a BUNCH of gore (which, if you’re like me and love gore then that’s great, but that’s pretty much all there is), and there really wasn’t anything too special in it (at least for me).

It wasn’t boring, which is good, but I feel like too many things happened so quickly that it felt rushed. (Episode 1: “We’re just students doing a ritual and nothing bad is going to happen— oh f***” Episodes 2-4: “We gotta get out of here.. I wonder who else is alive [trapped in parallel universes of the same building??]? Oh and I’m dead.” God, I hate those kids. Stop murdering everyone you see.)

The main reason I put the story so low was because of the absolute TERRIBLE ending. I was so hyped to see what would happen and...wow. (BIG SPOILER) His arms...came off??? Jesus. I was hoping Satoshi would make it out alive, he was one of the few characters that I hoped would live but god that ending *shudder* It was a twist, but ending it on that just ticked me off. Like really??

To me the best part of the entire anime was when Sakutaro was alone looking through his phone (Episode 2). It was the only scene that really affected me, because god seeing the look on his face when he realized that the corpse he was looking at was Mayu’s broke my heart. Poor baby D:

Animation (9.5/10): The animation is really good, VERY gory though. So if you don’t like gore or horror, this anime definitely isn’t for you. The only thing is that a lot of the scenes were dark (but I mean, duh) so I had to keep adjusting the brightness on my phone in order to see what was going on.

Sound (10/10): The music is beautiful, specifically the opening theme (I suggest listening to the full version, it’s 5 minutes long but spectacular!) The character’s voices were pretty good too, they matched the characters very well. I hate Yuka’s voice though, fits her but OHMYGOD she is ANNOYING. The sound effects were probably the best part. Ah, yes, I love the sound of squelching body parts.

Characters (5/10): Uh...well, most of the characters are bland due to there only being 4 episodes and not much time for development.

Only character I really liked was Sakutaro, pretty much just due to the fact that I love insane characters. I was also a fan of Seiko, Yoshiki, and Sachiko. But...that’s pretty much it.

Most of the characters were static and were killed off so soon that I didn’t have a chance to figure out if I liked them or not. They also looked so similar that at times I didn’t know who was who the first time watching it. So, most of them to me were just meh.

Overall, I would recommend this but only to people who like horror anime. It’s definitely not for the lighthearted, as there’s plenty of gore and violence. I’m sure the game is probably way better to be honest.

Hope this review is okay enough :)

9.5/10 animation
CrimsonAbaddon's avatar
Aug 9, 2017

I hated it. Whoever has the fucked up brain to think of that story and then animate it...

Do not reccomend. Just read the ending summary if you want to know how fucked up it is.

WolfAngelus's avatar
Feb 1, 2016

Treat this as a 2 hour movie split into 4 episodes.

This is a must watch for horror fans. It definitely has the most disturbing and graphic events out of any horror anime and many of the horror movies out there. (**Contains some pretty graphic scenes & a fair amount of blood)

The whole thing takes place in an alternate spacial world at a haunted highschool triggered by a curse triggered by performing a ritual of friendship. It runs in the form of a mystery in that who is responsible for the curse and why have to be figured out.

Those who have seen many horror movies will see some classic scenes that appear to be a reference to some of those movies.

The graphics and art are well done to catch the creepy atmosphere with sound effects that are essentially classic sounds and creepy, good sounding music.

For some reason, the characters feel like they have all appeared somewhere before. This is only 2 hours in total and deaths occur so you won't get to see any development or know the characters well.

The very last scene is confusing as to what happened with no explanation which was the only annoying part and leaves it open to your imagination. Based on what was shown just before that last scene gives a good idea of why it happened possibly.

The visuals/sound end up making you wish this had been done on a larger scale running a typical 12 episode season.

9.5/10 animation
xXKeisukeXx's avatar
May 17, 2017

If you are not into gory stuff, I don't recommend watching this; although this anie is short, the amount of gore will disturb you if you are not a big fan of gore.

Anyways...

I was really disappointed when I found out that it was only 4 episodes, 5 episodes if you want to count the missing footage. I was actually really surprised on how well the animations were, better than what I expected. Although, being a huge fan of Corpse Party because of the video game, I probably would've liked it whether if the animations were as good as they made it or sub-par. But yeah being a fan because of the actual game, I did have certain expectations when I heard about this anime (Before finding out it was only 4 episodes). The story, honestly, I wished was just like or close enough to the actual game. I went through a lot of moments wondering why they changed A LOT of things, and for the sake of spoilers, I won't mention any. Also, I wished that it wasn't this short. I personally believe if they had made it based off the actual story, which would have made the series longer, it would've been better because going through the 4 episodes knowing that they missed a HUGE chunk from the actual story kind of made me sad. I willl give them credit though, the different scenarios that happened in the anime was surprising, since I plyaed the game, it wasn't something I expected to happen. Majority of the anime though is in the game itself, just like i said earlier, I just wished they made the anime similar to the game's story, instead of skipping through A LOT of things that would've made the anime much much better than what it is right now. Same goes for the ending, can't believe that happened instead.

This may sound like a bad review but really, it was good for what they made it to be. Sure, it would've been better if it was longer and more focused on the story and all that, but I give them credit for the work and effort they put in to make this. I love the characters, well majority of them haha. For those who played the game, you can't deny the fact that at one point you got connected to these characters even if it was just a tiny bit.

Anyways, animations was better than some animes out there, and the sounds were good. The reason I gave the story a 7 is because of what I said earlier. It needed more content, it needed the whole story to put all the pieces together, especially for those who havent played the game. The main reason why I fell in love with Corpse Party was not only for my love for the horror genre, but because the story was great, in my opinion at least. The story was honestly great if you know the whole story.

Overall, the anime I give a 9/10 as you can see. I would've given it a 10 in my book if it wasnt for the lack of content. Instead of jumping into scenes that overly progresses the story, I'd rather watch fillers inbetween them to build up the suspense especially in an anime like this. Other than that, everything else seemed to check out better than what I expected. Good anime, just wished it was longer, had more content, and was more related to the game.

gingybread's avatar
Jan 10, 2018

This anime has characters that you really just fall in love with. It makes you cry but i still enjoyed it.

Altair3140's avatar
Mar 22, 2015

Corpse Party: Tortured Souls, an OVA series people who haven't played the original game like; "Whoa! That was so GOOD 10/10 OVA of the year 2012-FURUVUR!" than the people who DID play the original VN were like "NUUU IT SHOULDN'T GO LIKE DAT!" (although as far as I know there are multiple endings) Well, I haven't played the original VN ever, and I do plan on it, but this was one of those anime that I have been told over and over to watch. And so I did. I love japanese horror, you should never give the horror genre to America, because than Michael Bay will make a horror movie out of a fake Hasbro product. Japan really knows how to creep people out. Does it live up to expectations?

STORY

I thought this was japanese horror. It has the Japanese Horror vibe to it, but it still feels very American for some reason. You know, unneeded deaths of characters you only see once for like a minute. That's not horrible, no. It just, has a lack of a quality story. You know, about 8 cute-but-dumb high school girls, 3 less dumb high school boys, a teacher that looks like a student, and a not-loli girl get trapped in a haunted elementary school from 1983. Sounds fine, right? Well...

"Hey, are you making up those weird ghost stories again!?"

It's just not done as well as it could have. It takes more of it's sweet time killing little girls than trying to make sense. The end resolves some of it, but not enough. It doesn't matter, I still had fun watching this, it's like a campfire story that although cheesy, can be lived through.

ANIMATION

This is easliy the best part, the animation is beautiful. School building is drawn seemingly pixel-by-pixel and blood spraying around in the room is also well drawn. I want this anime to win an award for it's violence, as it's not afraid to throw intestines like birthday ribbons, which is pretty brave, although it's an OVA.

People no longer glow in the dark, unlike every other horror anime ever, which is a good thing.

Lighting is also very good, as characters actually fit in with the shadows. This OVA has amazing art and it also moves fluidly. The facial emotions could do a bit of work at times.

SOUND

I'll just sum up both Animation and Sound, this anime almost nails all aesthetics. The opening is great, so is the ending. Most people don't like the background music, but it always sets the tone for the scene, albeit not being memorable.

CHARACTERS

Here we go again...

This is easily the greatest downfall of Corpse Party, it wants you to be shocked at the character deaths, but you can't because you don't care. (Rant about these characters' idiocy coming up)

If only this weren't Corpse Party...

I take that back, there are some characters you care for, (i.e. Yuka) but not really. For instance, I wasn't joking about how these high school girls were dumb. They're dumb. More than your average American Horror. At least in Another or Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, the characters attain SOME INTELLIGENCE, but in Corpse Party, they're like; "Oh noes, we are in a broken school, I have no idea what's going on, and my friend is complaining about how there are creepy children giggling. Better go walk around and leave my friend in an infirmary with bugs and HELP ME written all over the walls, heehee!" Guess what happens.

Not only that, but they just don't fit. I'd be perfectly fine with these characters if they were in some corny lesbian romantic comedy. Except they're not, they're in an obviously haunted school and they're so stupid that I bet you a hundred bucks they probably threw their brain in a blender and fit their brain ALL in dem' chesticles. The high school boys are... better. That's all I can say without spoiling anything. The teacher doesn't really appear for more than 10 minutes, and that little girl is probably the smartest one there...

The villains of this series are better. You have Alma from F.E.A.R. a little girl in a red dress, a ghost that is more like a zombie, and a lot of other ghosts with obviously missing material. The villains actually seem to develop a bit more than the protagonists, however, with a 4 episode anime, you can't really develop them either, and while some perspectives change, they are relatively static.

VERDICT

Corpse Party: Tortured Souls is a horror anime with some things going at it, but is a fragile gem among horror anime. Yeah, there are a lot of flaws, but I still enjoyed it a lot, and I advise people go watch it, regardless of it's flaws. This anime is great for a friday-night horror show to watch. (as it's only 2 hours long) Other than that, it's not amazing.

Corpse Party: Tortured Souls gets a 6.3/10

4.3/10 story
9.3/10 animation
8.4/10 sound
3.1/10 characters
6.3/10 overall
Bestanimeserie's avatar
Nov 10, 2013

Before I start my review I just wanted to say that I haven't read the original manga so I can't compare wich one is better, with that said let's start my review.

Story: The story was quite an average horror story kids get rapped in some haunted place, and they want to escape that place they do so by figuring out what has happend.... the end
I liked the story and it wasn't that hard to figure out who was behind everything, though I had fun doing so. Story gets an 6.5/10

Animation: Good animation, that's to be expected from an ova out of 2013 but it did have an creepy atmosphere and I liked the darkish colour pallate, the gore was greatly animated and one of the better parts of the animation. The OP/ED had great animation but my favorite part is the creepy backgrounds as they really settle the mood. Animation gets an 7/10

Sound: The sound was really good, it really made the atmosphere and the sounds effects when someone was murderd was good as well, as for the OP/ED I really liked the OP but the ED not that much though it does set the mood for a tragic story. As for VA's they were all a pretty good choice for example when someone was killed their screams and other sounds they made really made the gore way better. Sound gets an 7.5/10

Characters: In my opinion this was the worst part, the characters didn't have any development and because so many died quite fast, you should care for the ones left right? not really I did have 2 fav characters and it was kinda sad when they were killed but other than that most of the characters are just stereotypes. Because of that characters get a 5/10

Overall: An enjoyable horror show with greatly animated gore & good sounds, the only downside are the characters so overal i'm giving this OVA a 7/10 because I really enjoyed it, and a little tip from me watch this at night it's way scarier that way.

And that is my review i hop you enjoyed reading it feel free to leave comments and feedback below.

-Bestsanimeserie

6.5/10 story
7.5/10 sound
Gzerble's avatar
Feb 1, 2015

Corpse Party: Tortured Souls is exactly what its name implies. It is a gory horror bit, totalling under two hours... and is very good at what it does. There is suspense, there are people cracking under the psychological pressure, there are creepy supernatural themes, and most of all, while the gore is there (and plentiful), it doesn't devolve into straight-up hacking and slashing.

Well produced and thought out horror is a rarity. When it doesn't try to be pretentious yet isn't about kill-all-undead, then it can be seriously enjoyable. Corpse Party: Tortured Souls is just that. The name makes it sound a lot dumber than it actually is. There are some of the classic horror tropes ("let's split up and search completely on our own in this creepy place where people get murdered", people going insane, et cetera), but that isn't much of a fault. There are no grand aspirations for artistic or psychological resolution here. The hidden meaning is "if there are curses that make people die, it sucks to be involved".

What we do have is a tightly produced and well thought out package. The animation and sound set the perfect tone for the story. The characters don't get much personality or development - because there are less than two hours of video and over fifteen characters who appear on screen. Corpse Party: Tortured Souls doesn't for a second try to be characer driven (though there are some elements of it), but maintains a sharp focus on the atmospheric and plot elements. In the end, this is some good horror.

Writing (Story and Characters):

Horror writing is an artform that very few do well. There is a fine line between making things character driven or plot focused, psychological or atmospheric, and reaching a good balance is harder than one would think. Corpse Party: Tortured Souls manages to find a balance where it is mostly leaning towards plot/atmosphere, but maintains just enough of character and psychological elements to avoid being one dimensional. The writers did a fine job giving the characters just enough time to shine for their deaths to mean something (and like a lot of good horror, most die). And the ending is just fantastic.

The story in itself is nothing original. Curse at school, people stuck, supernatural things happen, gore ensues. And that's fine. You can dumb down nearly every story in anime to these terms with ease. What is unique about it is that it can keep the viewers on edge. A picture is presented, and while it is a dark one, the more of it is seen, the more it makes some creepy internal sense. Of course there are parts which are explained by hand waving. The story is short and to the point, and as such works wonderfully from start to finish. We have a classic horror story, told in a classic horror way, executed very well. And that's really all you could ask.

As is the case for things that have a sharp focus on the atmosphere and plot, the characters do not get time to show much personality nor develop. The cast in itself is well balanced, and while more or less everyone is one dimensional, together there is enough variety to make sure that we are not left unaffected by what is happening. For something so short, with such a massive cast, this is a considerable accomplishment. And yet, that does not change the fact that while it is an accomplishment, the characters are not developed or special, nor should they be.

Art (Animation and Sound):

Art in horror is meant to set the atmosphere, and boy does it ever in the case of Corpse Party: Tortured Souls. If the writing is classic horror with sharp execution, the artwork really brings it to life and gives it the importance it should have. There are quibbles about small things here and there, but overall, the art direction is spot on and the crisp execution allows this OVA to become memorable.

I'll be perfectly blunt here: the visual aspects of Corpse Party: Tortured Souls are excellent at what they do. You won't find ridiculously detailed backgrounds like in the super-high-budget mainstream stuff, but you will find clever use of defocusing backgrounds to make sure you keep your eye on what you need to. The backgrounds themselves are classic horror stuff: dark, decrepit, dreary and most of all creepy. Abandoned buildings that are falling apart are one of the best settings for the genre and with good reason. The character designs are nothing special, and they could have put extra work into the bodies / parts. But still, this is exactly what you should expect and efficient to the extreme.

A soundtrack that fits perfectly, clever use of effects, and that is usually enough to set up the atmosphere to be just right. What makes this just above average yet not exceptional is the voice acting. Some of the characters just don't sound good. Still, for the most part that is not an issue. There are enough characters that a few of them don't really matter in the larger scale of things. Still, those one or two moments per episode where it is a problem can be an annoyance if you want to view it properly (closed light, sealed room, high volume).

Overall:

Corpse Party: Tortured Souls is straight up no frills horror. This is atmospheric and plot driven gore, not philosophical or psychological stuff. For what it does, this OVA is exceptional. Highly recommended for anyone who loves the genre.

8.5/10 story
8.3/10 overall
tollie01's avatar
May 1, 2016

Right, it's confession time for me. If you have been reading my reviews than you may have noticed that I tend to rip the anime a new one. There is a reason for this though and it has to do with the fact that I can't turn my brain off when watching anime. I can't ignore the stupid shown in the anime and this is a problem as most anime are very stupid indeed.

In this case I'm not talking about a 90 pound girl catching a multi-ton cruise missile and throwing it back. Yes, it is stupid but it is a stupid that I'll allow. It's anime. Things like this are normal here and I'm pretty much fine with it. It annoys me to be sure but I will not rant about it.

So, having explained this lets rip into this anime shall we? Just a heads up: There will most probably be spoilers. The more I hate an anime the more spoilers there will be.

ART: I actually liked the art. This sort of anime needs a dark and brooding atmosphere and it has this in spades. Although the animation is very dark at times you never have any issues following what is going on.

SOUND: Sound was good and so was the voice acting. Of course some of the actors only got to scream horribly but you get the idea.

CHARACTERS: For once I'm going to leave this empty. There are main characters but once you know who they are you know who will most likely survive.

STORY: Years a horrific event took place at the Heavenly Host school. Although the school has been destroyed the evil that it spawned is still very much there. Now a new group of students are caught in its grasp and they must find a way to eacape its blood soaked rooms or become part of its bloody story.

RANT: I'm a horror fan and sadly there aren't that many horror anime readily available where I live. So anything that I find already gets some extra points mainly due to the fact that it is not any of the usual garbage that comes my way.

This is by no means a masterpiece but it was something that I enjoyed watching. Maybe I'll go back one day and watch it again and proclaim this to be a piece of crap but for now... It was fine.

I must also admit that I watched this several months ago and I'm hard pressed to remember any details. The main plot I have but not the details.

century100's avatar
Dec 14, 2017

This might as well be the scariest I've ever seen, excluding Higurashi because I actually found it a bit boring. The sadism in this anime appears better to me.

So the story's good, but it's missing a couple of important details, such as what happens between each episode as some details aren't covered, including an epilogue (optional) of what happened in the end after one failed to return (not including spoilers).

The gory sounds are...vivid. It's realistic and the intro syncs well with the show, so that's a plus.

The character development is pretty good, but I don't get why or how the teacher dies twice. This anime should have more consistency with what happens to its characters, unless each episode is a different ending, which seems unlikely because some episodes would end too early near the end and miss out on a LOT of info.

I found this pretty enjoyable because of the suspense and death scenes and I liked the cringe moment that happens just before suspense builds up.

Overall, this was a great anime to watch, but looks very incomplete. I would suggest adding an epilogue to this, but it appears that probably won't happen.

Azurashi's avatar
Jun 27, 2015

WARNING! This anime includes gore, blood, deaths, some pervert scenes and some ugly scenes etc.

I love horrors so normally I would be so happy with this.. BUT it is different than game and that's fine, it can not be just like the game, I know. (second) But I do not like the characters, when I see them I was just like: "WTF are you doing?!! Are you kidding me?! Why didn't you help her?!". I know and I understand, I would not be able to do anything to help someone too if I would be in their situation and that is maybe the reason why I could not stand it. But still, come on! And how about their personality? You will turned into a little psycho only because you've seen too much corpses and organs? Because of that I gave less stars than I normally would. But it's only my personal view

There was sad story behind and one little girl who was murderer but if you think about it, you can not blame her. She was only sad and because of that many people died and they were sad too, so they killed many people too... Soo yep. Just my personal view.

zackarith's avatar
Jan 2, 2014

Im new to the series but my first impression of the anime was Silent Hill on a much smaller scale and it lived up to that.  The writer shows no favoritisom as he even kills off key characters which in my opinion is the way all anime should be, it makes for a more believable story.  If your looking for a good story with amazing character development and a quick scare this is perfect.

KIRSTY96's avatar
Sep 12, 2015

i found this anime quite interesting to watch but rather confused at the end when they are both holding the guys arms. is it because he had two pieces? it's my question to know why he didn't make it. oh well. i enjoyed this gory anime. the story was good but its not original as ive watched animes that is similar.

MissCatty's avatar
Jul 3, 2017

The story for this anime is pretty haunting, disturbing, bloody, violent, and very sad, as well as unfortunate. It definitely has some twists that make you go "Oh, dang" or something of the sort. Despite that half of what you watch is freaky insanity and the other half gore, there are some chunks of humane moments to connect with, and it still is somewhat thought-provoking. The ending may be confusing for some (make sure you watch to the very end, after the credits, on the last episode so you don't miss the small extra scene), so at the very end of this review, there'll be a brief explanation since it honestly did take me a few seconds to think about. So spoiler, I guess, which I'll warn you when it comes. Yay.

As far as horror goes, this anime is fairly horrible to watch, in the sense that it's very, bluntly gory and that what happens is incredibly unpleasant. It's not a jump-scare type. More on the eerie side. Lots and lots of guts and visual stabbing/cutting and unpleasent noises to follow - as I said: GORY. If you're sensitive to that kind of stuff (like me), then pass this bad boy on or be prepared to mute the sound and hide under your blanket covers and chill. ;) However, rest assured, the cause for the main horror does come to an actual resolution, so watching this shouldn't haunt you for the following week.

I don't think this was a bad anime, however, it wasn't overly amazing either. But..this is a horror story that's broken up into four, 30-ish minute episodes, and there's only so much you can show for 9 characters that get caught up in this bloody, forlorn mess; not everything will have enough time to be explained/shown properly. Plus, this is based off a game. But I do think it's one of the better animes I've watched that is based off of a game, and it was slightly better than my expectations.

*******SPOILERS*********

So, only two things:

1) The reason why Satoshi didn't come back all the way. :( When he gave Naomi his piece of the torn paper, claiming "Don't worry, I have my sister's piece..." Liar. He actually had Yuuya's piece, if you can recall when he picked up some student's school ID, sometime in the past episodes, that had a piece from when Yuuya had done the same charm-ritual. This is why once the three friends vanished from that collapsing world, the anime gave some screen time to purposefully show Yuuya's school ID on the ground where they once stood. Because Satoshi used a piece from a different ritual...yeah. What you see happens. If he had used a piece from the same ritual he had done with his friends, it probably would've been a better ending for them.

2) Explaining what's going on in that last, 2 min extra scene at the very end of the final episode. I had to look this up to make sure my initial guess was right, since this isn't something that's explained in the anime. So it shows Naomi's mom talking to the doctor on the phone about how "her" doesn't exist and the Naomi she knows is gone - "her" is most likely Naomi's close friend, Seiko, who died in that cursed world. Apparently *from what I found when looking this up* in the game it's eventually explained that those who die in the elementary school are basically erased from all their loved one's memories in the real world. So...let that settle in and...there you have it.

6.8/10 story
7.5/10 sound
kagamineRIN's avatar
Jun 11, 2015

This was terrifying !!!!!!!!!! One of my favorite anime reviewers watched it and gave it a review and warned his followers not to watch it, and my curiosity got the best of me and I watched .... I have to say it is absolutely awful. So much gore. I was too scared to get attached to the characters or like the music. I suggest you play the game or watch a BETTER anime, this is a waste of time.

WaywardHunter's avatar
Aug 2, 2014

If you have played the game this anime is adapted from then you'll notice a ton of differences. They are mainly who dies and how they die. I wish it would have been longer so it could have gone more in-depth at some points like in the game, but I thought it did a good job of condensing an almost three hour game into four episodes. It's not scary in the sense of jumpscares but it is very creepy and atmospheric. It does get rather gorey so i don't suggest watching it if you are not comfortable with gore or heavy violenece.

Junipa's avatar
Jan 19, 2016

Meh. Horror anime is by far my favorite, but I just couldn't get into this. I didn't care about the characters at all(make sure you watch "Lost Footage" first). The story could have been decent for what it was, however, it was too rushed and the character motives were really vague and illogical. They were also totally unlikeable. Many will die, you will not care at all. I guess I shouldn't expect much from an anime based on a game, but this could really have been a lot cooler. Even the gratuitous violence and dismemberment is dull. Can't really recommend it but if you, like me, insist on seeing every horror anime, then go ahead and give it a watch. It's at least a short lived torture.

SimplyWeird's avatar
Jun 14, 2015

Corpse Party: Tortured Souls is not so much 'scary' as it is gory and relying on excessivly gory and bloody images. So if gore and blood is what you're looking for, go ahead and watch this. But if you're looking to be scared, either by atmosphere or right out jump-scares, look elsewhere. It does get creepy, though. And there's a weird amount of panty-shots.

The story is... interesting enough, I guess. There are elements of mystery, and things turn out to not be exactly what or how you thought they would be. Some of the characters develop in perfectly logical directions for their situation, and others just go crazy.

In general I wouldn't recommend this anime.