Comic Girls - Reviews

CyK0h's avatar
Aug 31, 2018

This anime will be worth your while if you like cute girls do cute, gay things. Tbh. It's nothing like Sakura Trick though, if that's what you were thinking.

Reading a summary, I didn't expect much of a story to happen and I was fine with that. I have grown to like it. Every single episode had me laughing out loud. I shed some tears at one time as well, more laughs than tears though.

Learning about the characters made me love the anime a lot more...plus Nyaon-sensei! I've found some new characters I like. I think the voice actors did well on their part, the art was also one of a kind. Having included different manga drawing styles and exploring a bit of these genres were interesting and wonderful to look at.

I knew from the beginning that it had 12 episodes but when I actually was watching the last episode I found myself not wanting it to end.  I also loved how they ended it. Open. Maybe room for another season, if not, I am just fine with that decision. I could actually learn a thing or two from all the motivational quotes they were phrasing. Made me motivated, haha.

Summerz96's avatar
Jun 24, 2018

The one and most important thing I have to say is, I am so glad I watched this through to the end after nearly dropping it and not watching for over 2 weeks. It really grew on me, it was a great experience and I really, really hope another Comic Girls comes out at some point.

The friendliest and dynamic group of characters, all following their passion for drawing Manga together, through ups and downs they stick together until the end. They are an amazing group of friends. Quite inspiring, a joy to watch.

krofire's avatar
Jan 17, 2022

Manga/anime about young professional manga artists are extremely common and the Nexus studio 2018 production really doesn’t add much to the genre. It leans heavily on the cliché of four super-cute stereotypical high school girls all drawing manga together. This time though it is not a doujin circle as they live in a shared dorm that their publisher seems to have setup just for them. As such it is quite the absurd fantasy. It is of no surprise that manga artists write stories about manga artists, nor is it of any surprise that the genre feature loads of ultra-kawaii teenage girls, yet when you put the two together you are in la-la-land. Then throw in the next level of absurdity, that their editor, their dorm matron and their school teacher were schoolfriends and former teenage manga artists, then the story gets even more extremely contrived. That is not to say that this cannot be done well. The comedy-romance (Doga Kobo 2014) “Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun” was probably the best example.

The setup here doesn’t break any moulds. Kaoruko Moeta is a shy girl struggling to produce a commercially viable manga. Her editor suggest she transfers to a shared dorm that she will share with three girls her own age who are professional manga artists. These are Koyume Koizuka (shojo), Ruki Irokawa (teen love) and Tsubasa Katsuki (shonen). All girls are in their first year in high school with Koyume and Kaoruke newly transferring in. The story is based upon the four-panel manga written and illustrated by Kaori Hanzawa. The fan-service kicks in at episode five at the beach. The highlight of the show comes in around episode six when a fifth girl joins the dorm to insert some novelty to the setup. From that point on the show coasts to an inevitable conclusion. It lacks surprises and has too few protagonists to shake it up. Very hum drum.

BriCatto063's avatar
Dec 13, 2018

I do like this anime. It's really good and the art is absolutely astonishing! Two of the characters are quite similar to ddlc characters and the rest are epic characters in general. I reccomend this anime to anyone! :D   10/10, truly fabulous! :3

molopower's avatar
Nov 28, 2021

I'll preface with my recommendation, this show is good, it's worth a watch. It's short and sweet too! But, in my opinion, it's missing some kind of tang. I think it would've done wonders if it was longer with more buildup for the end. And if the protagonist's progression was better visualised. The characters as cute as they are can be irritating at times. I really liked the adults and how similar but different they are compared to the kids. I think they should've had more screen time. My conclusion goes as follow, this anime would probably have been miles better with more episodes. I hope it'll be renewed for a second season, it definitely deserves it.

7.5/10 story