Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ - Reviews

Rascal's avatar
Dec 27, 2017

*spoiler-lite review*

Herlock Sholmes

I'll just start here by saying that Code: Realize ~~gUaRdIaN oF rEbIrTh~~ isn't really my kind of thing. The harem thing can work for me at times, but when it's so obvious that you can't help but (code)realize who it's pandering to, it really does nothing for me, and Code: Realize is a great example of that. I understand this anime wasn't made for me since I haven't played the VN. That said, let's tear this generic anime a new one.

First of all the thing about this anime you'll notice most quickly are its characters so I'll mention those first in as great detail as I can. They're almost all generic bishounens, as the main character IS a generic anime girl, and the rest are for all intents and purposes, either her reverse-harem or want to kill her. It's kind of like having a fanbase. Usually you would accept that nothing you do is good enough and move on with your life, but not even the MC herself will let her do that because she has a curse called... honestly who gives a damn, it's poison skin. She can't touch anything or it will die.

She meets a band of fictional characters who weren't created by the creator of the story. You have Lupin, Frankenstein, that other guy, Van Helsing, and they all revolve around her because she's self insert and this is basically a fanfiction. There's also Herlock Sholmes. HERLOCK SHOLMES, EVERYBODY. I can't write a joke about that, because it is a joke already. There's also shota dracula. All kinds of pandering all over the place, each character exists for pandering and their stories are secondary, and cheaply thrown together.

The only characters who really adds much to the story are lupin and MC's brother, whose character design is terrible by the way, by either wanting to kill or wanting to save MC (again she's the center of the universe). The story is convoluted and wants to be edgy a few times but falls immensely short as it grasps back up at its cast, hoping that one of them will jump in and do something interesting, which they never do leaving the story to stumble on over itself and begrudgingly trudge forward to a convoluted end that resolves with deus ex machinas all over the place. It's such a mess to get into that I can only describe my problems with it in such detail. It's bland and not all that worth paying attention to.

So instead I'll just give you an abridged version from what I think this anime was trying to get across.

Wouldn't it be awesome girls if you had like 12 hot fictional guy characters around to literally damsel-in-distress you every episode until you can basically choose which one to marry, and your love would save the world and break curses? Well watch this anime. It's that.

The animation as a really weird feel to it and i'm not sure what they were going for with the artstyle. I guess this is their failed attempt at capturing the artstyle of a VN while making it look like an anime. The directing itself could use an extreme buff, the characters move like stills at times and it's just generally meh. The sound was what it was, the music didn't stick out for me and it wasn't used very well.

I'd say avoid this anime unless you're a huge fan of the VN. Even then, from what I gather it's a lame adaptation anyways.

mrc4nl's avatar
Jul 4, 2019

This series has some nice elements,  I like the art style, and the steampunk setting. It feels authentic. The plot is interesting too, a girl who is a element for mass destruction.

But the story gives me mixed feelings, on one side its interesting. on the other side there are many cliché  moments where not much is happening to progress the story.  The finale is definitly good, but even then there are cliche moments that dull the experience. Voice acting feels also a little distant form the characters.

The series had all the right ingredients to make it a good one,ut somebody mixed up the recipe and it turned out mediocre.

ShikonBloodWolf's avatar
Aug 5, 2018

I would recommend this anime to anyone who loves a good romance with lots of action and character development. This anime has kept me on the edge of my seat each episode and wanting more. The story is famnominal with sensationable twists and turns that will leaving you numb and exhilerated. The anime is beautiful and all the characters are both memorable and lovable with very good character developments. Love, Hate, Tradgety, Yearning, Corruption, Sadness, Loss, and a twisted dream turn fate. These are what make Code Realize a master piece.

bluefeatherr's avatar
Jul 4, 2020

Code: Realize is an amazing otome game with a great story, characters, soundtrack, and voice acting. The anime is great in everything that takes from the source, but what is original... not so much.

The story adds a lot of new unnecessary content towards the end of the anime, and a lot of it doesn't make much sense. Important character information on characters such as Van Helsing and Impey is also left out since they only animated the true route - Lupin's. This is where they should have changed content.

Overall, I did enjoy the Code: Realize anime quite a bit, though, as I do already love the characters and the soundtrack and voices are still great. Whether or not you played and enjoyed the visual novel may have a huge effect on whether or not you will enjoy it, but I do recommend checking out at least a few episodes.

6.5/10 story
Crystella's avatar
Apr 16, 2018

Ok lets get this over with. First of all there will be spoilers so SPOILER ALERT PEOPLE! at first when i saw this show, i was honestly excited to see it come out, BUT then when i watched through the whole show i was not all that happy and stuff or sad, because usually im sad or happy when an anime i watch finishes either because i liked the show and was happy with the story or sad because i just finished an anime and have nothing to watch, but when this show ended i honestly was debating what i felt because i felt nothing for this show at the end. If you like reverse harems this show ehh well it is but, its not really all that much like others. The story mainly focuses on Cardia and Lupin, so its not your typical Reverse harem where everyone gets lots of character development throughout different episodes. Another thing that bothered me was the way the two were in love, its great they (SPOILER IN CASE YOU HAVENT WATCHED AND ARE STILL HERE WHICH I DONT KNOW WHY) got married and all but on the earlier episodes Lupin said he liked her but he honestly didnt really show it and nor did Cardia. Normally when you like someone heres what you do: show signs of jealousy when their with someone else, blush when they smile at you say something nice to you etc. While lupin sometimes said that to her and wanted tp see her or whatever i wasnt really feeling like they liked each other, well maybe i was a little but at the same time i wasn't idk maybe its just me but i sorta felt the two of them were pretty rushed and thats one reason why this is different from other harems, at first i felt like this was going to be a LEGIT harem that sorta slipped away as soon i began watching later episodes. Another that really bothered me was the fact that it looked like there was really going to be some epic moments or cool and awesome, but unfortunately they all just when away from this when it looked like they could have done something cool. Heres some highlights of the show

Animation looked ok i liked it sometimes, but most of the time i didnt because it looked pretty different for an anime, i do like unique things though of course, but this was like some game art or whatever i know this an otome game, but the art looked really umm well too gameish and not anime for me.

Sound for me though was top notch. The voices werent too slow,fast,low or too loud. I thought that was great because i have watched anime where there voicing sync was terrible but this was great honestly.

As for the characters i didnt really feel much character development except for dracula and cardia dracula changed  just a little bit throughout the show he was very set on revenge for his family and hated van for killing them, but as the show went on he wasnt really interested in killing van anymore and was actually beginning to accept him. Cardias characters liked because she was kinda dumb at first which was totally understandable, unlike some other female mcs who are just totally dumb without reason, however cardia was locked away in some dark mansion for a long time and was told she was a monster by others, and even though she wasnt on that mansion all her life when she wasnt in there she didnt really learn about other stuff i dont think, so i get why shes dumb, but at the same time she changes throughout the show, she also becomes reliable and can fight so her character development was cool i guess since she wasnt dumb the enitre show but the other characters showed liked zero sign of change i wouldnt call lupin liking cardia change because he was still the same even when he did like her. As for the other characters they change not one bit.

Overall i feel like this show was pretty OK or meh i feel like it couldve been better if they just had more character development,storyline,action and detail, if they did that it probably would have been a better show. Some ppl may like i dont know.

4.5/10 story