Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ - Reviews

Rascal's avatar
Dec 27, 2017

*spoiler-lite review*

Herlock Sholmes

I'll just start here by saying that Code: Realize ~~gUaRdIaN oF rEbIrTh~~ isn't really my kind of thing. The harem thing can work for me at times, but when it's so obvious that you can't help but (code)realize who it's pandering to, it really does nothing for me, and Code: Realize is a great example of that. I understand this anime wasn't made for me since I haven't played the VN. That said, let's tear this generic anime a new one.

First of all the thing about this anime you'll notice most quickly are its characters so I'll mention those first in as great detail as I can. They're almost all generic bishounens, as the main character IS a generic anime girl, and the rest are for all intents and purposes, either her reverse-harem or want to kill her. It's kind of like having a fanbase. Usually you would accept that nothing you do is good enough and move on with your life, but not even the MC herself will let her do that because she has a curse called... honestly who gives a damn, it's poison skin. She can't touch anything or it will die.

She meets a band of fictional characters who weren't created by the creator of the story. You have Lupin, Frankenstein, that other guy, Van Helsing, and they all revolve around her because she's self insert and this is basically a fanfiction. There's also Herlock Sholmes. HERLOCK SHOLMES, EVERYBODY. I can't write a joke about that, because it is a joke already. There's also shota dracula. All kinds of pandering all over the place, each character exists for pandering and their stories are secondary, and cheaply thrown together.

The only characters who really adds much to the story are lupin and MC's brother, whose character design is terrible by the way, by either wanting to kill or wanting to save MC (again she's the center of the universe). The story is convoluted and wants to be edgy a few times but falls immensely short as it grasps back up at its cast, hoping that one of them will jump in and do something interesting, which they never do leaving the story to stumble on over itself and begrudgingly trudge forward to a convoluted end that resolves with deus ex machinas all over the place. It's such a mess to get into that I can only describe my problems with it in such detail. It's bland and not all that worth paying attention to.

So instead I'll just give you an abridged version from what I think this anime was trying to get across.

Wouldn't it be awesome girls if you had like 12 hot fictional guy characters around to literally damsel-in-distress you every episode until you can basically choose which one to marry, and your love would save the world and break curses? Well watch this anime. It's that.

The animation as a really weird feel to it and i'm not sure what they were going for with the artstyle. I guess this is their failed attempt at capturing the artstyle of a VN while making it look like an anime. The directing itself could use an extreme buff, the characters move like stills at times and it's just generally meh. The sound was what it was, the music didn't stick out for me and it wasn't used very well.

I'd say avoid this anime unless you're a huge fan of the VN. Even then, from what I gather it's a lame adaptation anyways.

AquamarineGem's avatar
Mar 19, 2021

Code Realize is an underrated gem. It’s beauty is hidden. If you can appreciate the flaws of any anime, then it’s a favorite. Code Realize fits that description for me. The setting is in industrial London where historical aircrafts and ships were built.
The main heroine is a mysterious girl that has poisonous toxin flowing through her veins. Everything she touches is poisoned and she has to wear protective clothing. She was isolated in a mansion because she was considered a security threat. The reason why I really adored this anime because the main relationship between the heroine (Cardia Beckford) and Arsene Lupin teaches viewers to appreciate themselves. Throughout the anime, Lupin tells Cardia that she isn’t a monster. Cardia is viewed as a threat to public safety because of her poisonous touch. But there is one male character that teachers her to appreciate herself, and love blossoms between them.
In my opinion, appreciation and acceptance is a huge factor in a relationship especially if people have different personalities. The legendary thief (Arsene Lupin) whisks Cardia away from her sheltered world in the mansion. So Cardia has a chance to see the sights and wonders of the rest of the world. Cardia is fragile but gets very good character development. However, Lupin doesn’t learn his lesson for thievery. He even stole a ship from the Mafia. The anime certainly has a fair share of plot twists, and comedy.

This anime is an adaptation from an otome game so the visuals are very aesthetic and beautiful. But it also follows the formula of other reverse harem. The main heroine is also a damsel in distress. The characters are named after famous figures. Barbicane Impey is the chief engineer and mechanic in the team. He builds automobiles, and other vehicles to help the main cast in their journeys. There is Victor Frankenstein who loves scientific experiments. Abraham "Van" Helsing is skilled at fighting and combat. There’s many others. The characters journey to uncover Cardia’s identity and unravel the mysteries behind her father, her family, and her mysterious poisonous power.

I am trying not to spoil the show because I would like viewers to enjoy the mysterious events as they unravel. I hope viewers can appreciate the beauty behind this anime’s flaws. Thank you for reading this review.

mrc4nl's avatar
Jul 4, 2019

This series has some nice elements,  I like the art style, and the steampunk setting. It feels authentic. The plot is interesting too, a girl who is a element for mass destruction.

But the story gives me mixed feelings, on one side its interesting. on the other side there are many cliché  moments where not much is happening to progress the story.  The finale is definitly good, but even then there are cliche moments that dull the experience. Voice acting feels also a little distant form the characters.

The series had all the right ingredients to make it a good one,ut somebody mixed up the recipe and it turned out mediocre.

ShikonBloodWolf's avatar
Aug 5, 2018

I would recommend this anime to anyone who loves a good romance with lots of action and character development. This anime has kept me on the edge of my seat each episode and wanting more. The story is famnominal with sensationable twists and turns that will leaving you numb and exhilerated. The anime is beautiful and all the characters are both memorable and lovable with very good character developments. Love, Hate, Tradgety, Yearning, Corruption, Sadness, Loss, and a twisted dream turn fate. These are what make Code Realize a master piece.

Meizzey's avatar
Apr 11, 2022

It'a sweet, GORGEOUS, I mean, just look at the design of characters and animation is so so pretty, romance story.

It has action, they travel a bit an so on, the story is cliche in a way - saving a maiden in need, but it is made for a game, so...

It's one of the prettiest designs I've seen in anime (there's a lot of webtoons with this much detail in design like The Villainess is Marionette or Roxane, Your throne (this isn't exactly a romance and it's a super great story, so you should definitely read it) etc. They are mostly about villainess and reincarnation/transmigration/regression in time, etc.).

The anime itself is an eye candy with relaxing and loving story!

It is really to watch and enjoy in all this magnificent visuals (like you enjoyed watching Demon Slayer (if you didn't you should), or maybe a bit less famous because they are Chinese - Mo Dao Zu Shi (English name is to long) or Heaven's official blessing (the animation is almost as good as in the demonic grandmaster, but its lacking in comparison to it, even though the design and story are both real great!) or Bai Yao Pu (real great and gorgeous, the story is made from a lot of different stiries - cases, reminds me of Natsume's book of friends and TV series Black mirror), or A Will Eternal - Yi Nian Yong Heng and of course King's Avatar (especially first season, the design of characters is so pretty). There's a lot more, but these come ti nind first.

All in all, watch it, it's worth it!