Classroom of the Elite

Alt title: Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e

Add review
barbrastreisand's avatar
Sep 17, 2017

I've waited to be a bit further into the series to confirm my internal conflict on the evolution of the story and a couple of other aspects.

First of all, this is the opinion of a semi-picky spectator: When I'm shown particularly good material, starting from the premise, I get emotionally invested and begin to pay more attention to the technical aspects, among other things...

Now then, for my impression 10 episodes into Classroom of the Elite:

The premise was SO GOOD, and so original, so in tune with what I sought after at the time (*), so marvelously displayed visually, the CONCEPT it offered to dive into so promising, I was instantly hooked. It paints a scenario in which a selected few are permitted entry into another reality; a school cut off from the rest of the world, complete with its own living and commercial facilities, and most of all, a system of merital points with monetary value, through which each student navigates this privileged world... What isn't apparent at first is just how ruthlessly competitive it is, and how the internal hierarchy works, in line with the institution's own infrastructure.

*To be precise, the "theme" I was interested in (and am, currently) is this Macchiavellian side to the main character, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, that enables him to exert influence in the most surrepticious way: due to his purposefully dispassionate appearance, sharp intellect and level-headedness, it possible for his outstanding abilities and unperturbable character to pull strings from behind the scenes, completely unnoticed.

So what's the catch?, you ask.

Here goes:

The first episodes had me on my toes, begging for more, counting the minutes to the release of the next, in weekly agony. That until I began to notice how it slowly diminished the pace, once the audience was firmly on the hook. Then there's the ecchi obsession as well, dedicating a large porcentage of the story to contriving ways to frame the anatomy of the female characters, writing a group of pervy boys into concocting elaborate ways to peep on them, steal their undergarments, etc. So this decrease in story quality was dissappointing. Mainly because the initial promise of Ayanokouji's and his ally's (Horikita Suzune) character evolution in climbing the social ladder is put on hold. And the series suffers for it, having the rest of the ecchi/oppai junk stretched out to compensate. (It doesn't, in my female opinion). At least there're no lolis or yuri action (thankfully).

So there you have it. The dissappointing part. The good news is that around episode 7 or 8 there is a new arc that injects a much needed renewed momentum into the story. Let's hope this reduces the need for filler episodes for the rest of the series, though I'm keeping my expectations in check now. I've learned my lesson... *sigh*

If you came to this section wondering if it's worth watching, it is, definitely. Just don't expect the entire series to sustain the wonderful plot strength it displays in the beginning thoughout the entirety.

If you've come to the reviews, as I have, having watched quite a chunk of it already, seeking the comfort of someone else spotting the same flaws you have, or wondering whether or not to continue in this travesty, please do. It picks up the pace later on. Let us hope it just gets better from here on out.

Hope this helped in either case, I needed to vent these issues to continue, myself. Thanks for reading~

Magicknight94's avatar
Jul 18, 2017

Artwork and animation and sound

They are the best part of the serious. The producers surely put a lot of effort in these aspects. And there is a Vietnamese studio joining in this production.

While the plot seemed very promissing at the beginning, it fell apart in the middle of the series and failed to unfold most of its details. In the end, we have some fan service episodes, and a tiresome field trip.

Most of characters are very unrelatable. They either act and talk big, or completely disappear in our mind. The protagonist's final dialogue crushed his only likeable feature, and turned him into an apathy sociopath, which is disappointing.

ferengi4's avatar
Feb 19, 2018

This is yet another genric "high stakes" anime that has a cheap animation budget and predicatable storyline. The story would have been a lot better if there was better suspense and challenges put into it but as is, it just reminded me of every other B-rate anime out there. If you are new to anime and think this is the "super cool" or whatever. To each there own I guess.

crownen33's avatar
Aug 9, 2017

This anime is different from many. The story has a very good but dark twist to it. The school may look like an regular school until the characters of the anime start to reviele themselves. Everyone in this anime have a dark twist to them or have a secret that each of them are hiding.

The animation in this anime is very colorful and easy to watch. the frame rate is well done and the style fits the scene of the story. The voices fit the characters and each person is easy to listen to as well.

If there was an anime that had suspence, humor, mystory, and some action. Than this is the purfect anime to watch this summer. There is so much yet to come and the story is just getting started. This is something worth watching.

ArTizQ's avatar
Sep 16, 2017

French and English Review :

An excellent start, but a really bad sequel

Let me explain, at first we discover a lot of interesting characters. Everyone has a personality that has him own and the main character is hard to understand. We later learn that for the most part they hide their true personality.

But why in final note I put a 7/10 ?

Already, let's talk about the episode fan service of the pool who is the beginning of the end...

Starting from this episode nothing more goes, the personalities of each one that were so interesting become secondary. We lose the principle of school for a survival game of crap

And my god, that's boring, no more effort by the creators.
There is absolutely nothing going on apart from the search for "who stung the little panties of who"

MY GOD.

A very good potential lost in an ocean of fan service

___________________________________________

Un excellent début, mais une suite vraiment mauvaise.

Je m'explique, au début nous découvrons beaucoup de personnages interessants. Chacuns a une personnalité qui lui ai propre et le personnage principal est difficile a comprendre. Nous apprenons par la suite que pour la plupart, ils cachent leur vrais personnalité

Donc pourquoi ma note finale est de 7/10 ?

Déjà, parlons de l'episode fan service de la piscine qui est le début de la fin...

À partir de cet épisode plus rien ne va plus, les personnalités de chacuns qui étaient si interessante deviennent secondaire. Nous perdons le principe de l'école pour un survival game de merde.

Et mon dieu, que c'est chiant, plus aucuns effort de la par des créateurs.
Il ne se passe absolument rien a part de la recherche de "qui a piqué la petite culotte de machin"

Mon dieu.

Un très bon potentiel perdu dans un océan de fan service