Classroom of the Elite - Reviews

Alt title: Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e

barbrastreisand's avatar
Sep 17, 2017

I've waited to be a bit further into the series to confirm my internal conflict on the evolution of the story and a couple of other aspects.

First of all, this is the opinion of a semi-picky spectator: When I'm shown particularly good material, starting from the premise, I get emotionally invested and begin to pay more attention to the technical aspects, among other things...

Now then, for my impression 10 episodes into Classroom of the Elite:

The premise was SO GOOD, and so original, so in tune with what I sought after at the time (*), so marvelously displayed visually, the CONCEPT it offered to dive into so promising, I was instantly hooked. It paints a scenario in which a selected few are permitted entry into another reality; a school cut off from the rest of the world, complete with its own living and commercial facilities, and most of all, a system of merital points with monetary value, through which each student navigates this privileged world... What isn't apparent at first is just how ruthlessly competitive it is, and how the internal hierarchy works, in line with the institution's own infrastructure.

*To be precise, the "theme" I was interested in (and am, currently) is this Macchiavellian side to the main character, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, that enables him to exert influence in the most surrepticious way: due to his purposefully dispassionate appearance, sharp intellect and level-headedness, it possible for his outstanding abilities and unperturbable character to pull strings from behind the scenes, completely unnoticed.

So what's the catch?, you ask.

Here goes:

The first episodes had me on my toes, begging for more, counting the minutes to the release of the next, in weekly agony. That until I began to notice how it slowly diminished the pace, once the audience was firmly on the hook. Then there's the ecchi obsession as well, dedicating a large porcentage of the story to contriving ways to frame the anatomy of the female characters, writing a group of pervy boys into concocting elaborate ways to peep on them, steal their undergarments, etc. So this decrease in story quality was dissappointing. Mainly because the initial promise of Ayanokouji's and his ally's (Horikita Suzune) character evolution in climbing the social ladder is put on hold. And the series suffers for it, having the rest of the ecchi/oppai junk stretched out to compensate. (It doesn't, in my female opinion). At least there're no lolis or yuri action (thankfully).

So there you have it. The dissappointing part. The good news is that around episode 7 or 8 there is a new arc that injects a much needed renewed momentum into the story. Let's hope this reduces the need for filler episodes for the rest of the series, though I'm keeping my expectations in check now. I've learned my lesson... *sigh*

If you came to this section wondering if it's worth watching, it is, definitely. Just don't expect the entire series to sustain the wonderful plot strength it displays in the beginning thoughout the entirety.

If you've come to the reviews, as I have, having watched quite a chunk of it already, seeking the comfort of someone else spotting the same flaws you have, or wondering whether or not to continue in this travesty, please do. It picks up the pace later on. Let us hope it just gets better from here on out.

Hope this helped in either case, I needed to vent these issues to continue, myself. Thanks for reading~

ferengi4's avatar
Feb 19, 2018

This is yet another genric "high stakes" anime that has a cheap animation budget and predicatable storyline. The story would have been a lot better if there was better suspense and challenges put into it but as is, it just reminded me of every other B-rate anime out there. If you are new to anime and think this is the "super cool" or whatever. To each there own I guess.

Magicknight94's avatar
Jul 18, 2017

Artwork and animation and sound

They are the best part of the serious. The producers surely put a lot of effort in these aspects. And there is a Vietnamese studio joining in this production.

While the plot seemed very promissing at the beginning, it fell apart in the middle of the series and failed to unfold most of its details. In the end, we have some fan service episodes, and a tiresome field trip.

Most of characters are very unrelatable. They either act and talk big, or completely disappear in our mind. The protagonist's final dialogue crushed his only likeable feature, and turned him into an apathy sociopath, which is disappointing.

AmaiiMiitsu's avatar
May 26, 2020

So if I were to summarise Classroom of the Elite, I'd say that this anime could've been great but all potential was wasted due to horribly written characters and unnecessary fanservice. Also this is my first review so it might have errors here and there.

May contain minor spoilers

The general idea is actually pretty interesting which isn't done so often but the execution was too bad so as a result it ended up being terrible. The story is simple and straight forward with students attending a school which has a point system where they earn points through many different ways such as getting good grades and the students have to try their best to work their way up to Class A considering the fact that they are in Class D which is the class with the lowest status. It's a cool concept but they didn't explore it much since 12 episodes are not enough to cover everything minus the episodes they wasted with pointless fanservice. Moving onto the individual episodes, they're a bit entertaining but make no sense. A lot of the episodes are focused on this one annoying guy who I'll talk about later.

Animation:

The art style is nice and it matches the whole psychological vibe but sometimes the anatomy looks off which is acceptable since a lot of animes make similar mistakes. The animation is decent and the few fight scenes don't have any obvious issues.

Sound:

The OP and ED are fine nothing special; they match the show I guess. There aren't many memorable OSTs all I can say is that they match the show. The voice acting is good every character has a fitting voice if I'm being honest.

This is where the series fails miserably with the awful characters. The only positive thing about the characters is that the character designs are cool so I bet artists would have fun drawing them. The cast is pretty huge and with there only being 12 episodes they don't have the chance to be explored at all and many characters are left in the dark. The character interactions feel very forced and I really can't tell why.

We have the protagonist who at first is portrayed as a socially awkward loner with a mysterious vibe. He has no emotions At All. Throughout the series, we get glimpses of his past but that's it they're clearly telling us to go read the light novel. As the series goes we learn that he is flawless and basically a genius who likes to blend in with the crowd and hide his abilities. Many compare him to Hachiman from Oregairu which is an insult especially with the 'plot twist' at the end. For some reason the author thought that giving him a harem would be a decent idea but in reality it just makes the series even worse.

We have protagonist girl number 1 who at first looks cold and harsh but we find out she's a tsundere all along. Her first interaction with the protagonist was just really random out of all the people sitting on the bus he talks to her. Either way she's not interesting at all and all she cares about is proving to her brother that she's not pathetic and that's it. She appears to have brother complex so if that was explored more I would've liked her more but I guess the author decided to ignore that and only use it as an excuse for her to aim for the higher Class.

We also have protagonist girl number 2 who acts like a nice girl and according to her, she wants to be friends with everyone on the planet. We find out later that she has a darker side which was not surprising.They then completely ignore her other side and so then she always acts like a nice girl.

Then there's the annoying delinquent who had several episodes centred on him despite being a very useless and irritating character. Apparently, he develops a crush on PG1 which is way too random and it really just comes out of nowhere.

Then there's the minor girl who becomes a protagonist after the MC saves her from getting sexually harassed by some random store owner. She then becomes part of his harem and she also becomes irrelevant.

The other characters are too boring to mention other than the Loli girl because she's the only character I liked despite her appearing 4 times only.

Wasn't going to mention this but at least 3 episodes are wasted on stupid fanservice meaning that only nine episodes actually match the plot but then you realise the plot never develops in the first place.

In conclusion, this wasn't unenjoyable but the characters were unlikable and the fanservice was a pain.

7.5/10 sound
2.7/10 characters
crownen33's avatar
Aug 9, 2017

This anime is different from many. The story has a very good but dark twist to it. The school may look like an regular school until the characters of the anime start to reviele themselves. Everyone in this anime have a dark twist to them or have a secret that each of them are hiding.

The animation in this anime is very colorful and easy to watch. the frame rate is well done and the style fits the scene of the story. The voices fit the characters and each person is easy to listen to as well.

If there was an anime that had suspence, humor, mystory, and some action. Than this is the purfect anime to watch this summer. There is so much yet to come and the story is just getting started. This is something worth watching.