Citrus - Reviews

nic016's avatar
Feb 25, 2019

What the HELL did I just watch? Positives first, fantastic animation and sound quality. I watched the dub, and the voice acting was pretty good. So props to the studio (Passione)... But those were the best aspects of the anime. Everything else falls very short. I mean really short. Besides the taboo topic of incestual relationships, the relationship itself was extremely weak. It was so repetitive. There was absolutely NO character depth whatsoever. Why were there entire arcs that spanned many episodes when we didn't even dive into why main characters are the way they are? I honestly understand fan service and the taboo fetish of the entire series, but at least make it make sense. You had strange sexual encounters in different areas and they went NO WHERE. I don't mean no where as in the physical act of having sex, I mean no where as in it didn't add to the relationship between the characters. Extremely poor writing. Plot was bad. One of the most poorly written shows I've seen in a while.

Kuyosaki's avatar
Mar 18, 2018

Citrus is fortunately not your avarage yuri show. The characters go through wider range of problematics than their love relationship. Family matters and also their point of view in terms of way of living and following rules are highly implied on. Dilemmas like "Do I like her as my sister or as a lover" really put something fresh into the genre.

These unique elements are the only thing making the show better, it's going only downhill from now on.

Author seems to be not so creative as from resolving even the first problem the characters go through on their own, we are introduced with a rival in form of a childhood friend of Main Girl 2 to form a temporary love triangle.

After that we get another childhood friend of our Main Girl 1, who is apparently a nympho, which stays a bit longer than the first... even annoyingly more. Another temporary love triangle.

After dealing with Nympho-chan and her dumb pink hair, there comes another problem now again from Main Girl 2's side, who fell in love with her just because she helped her once. (I know that love on first sight exists but...)

These encounters, which start to seem like the "monster of the week" trope (which features new enemy every episode... something like Jojo P4 or Power Rangers), add literally nothing to the character's development since from Ep 1 through EP 11 it's still the same shit. Main Girl 2 stays cold and serious, and ignores all love signs etc. from the Main Girl 1 who is still confused wether she loves her as a sister or as a woman.

Everything the plot does is to reconfirm that Main Girl 1's love is true but it still manages to somehow get her confused again because another Love Rival of the Week comes in.

Apart from this, animation is a bit higher than avarage... nothing special but is consistent, there are no apparent flaws like budget running out etc.

Sound is ok, I don't even remember if there are any soundtracks hence if there are any, they are quite forgetable.

The main characters are well done, other characters apart from Main Girl 1's support are totally unnecessary and dumb. And even the supporting character could get more functions than being a sort of a problem dumpster of Main Girl 1.

TL;DR
Great premise destroyed with a total lack of creativity and imagination. Sakura Trick done it better and has no special circumstances the characters are put into.

Y2Kween's avatar
Feb 24, 2018

I know many people are turned off Citrus because there is questionable actions by the main characters. But, if you judge this anime based on that, you're seriously missing out. This anime is much more than just fanservice & "sexual assault". The assault has purpose, as problematic as that sounds. They address this & it becomes a plot point. You guys just take things at face value & don't stay around to see what the rising conflict & resolution are. Mei is an incredibly flawed character who goes through a lot of changes, as well as Yuzu. These two girls go though several obsticles together to get to really know the other & to watch their love for each other grow. Everything in this story has a purpose & does get explained, yes, even the psuado-incest (which gets shut down in the manga). For those who are treating this as Netsuzou Trap, you're severely misinformed. Even NTR was done dirty by a 9 minute 12 episode tragedy. Both of these series have more an intricate plot in the manga, but that's a different review. I just implore those who have been detured by negative reviews (who most only have seen the first few episodes), to please give it a try & stick around. It's only 12 episodes (hopefully a season 2 will be made since the manga is still ongoing). Citrus is the best yuri/shoujo-ai series out there.

iamnotneechan's avatar
Jun 21, 2020

Repeat this with me "One rapey scene does not fix the other" jesus christ I thought this wouldn't be fan service and I thought it would be a unique take on romance especially since I've never watched a yuri anime before. I went into the first episode thinking "Huh maybe this is a new perspective" and I must admit the plot idea was super interesting. I think im in love with yo- huhhhh you're my new sister... you get the point. And for a few minutes it was. And than it went on. And on. And on. And I did not make it past the first 4 episodes. Here is the problem...

Unrequited love is an interesting trope that works in some cases. It's adorable and the characters develop and they leave a trail of crumbs to keep you coming back but it's enjoyable (akatsuki no yona is my best example here) and than there are cases where it is infuriatingly slow and annoying (insert citrus fan art). They really just shoved the trope so far down our throats. Mei does not have any feelings for her and if she did the rapey, mean and dismissive way she shows it sure as hell aren't bread crumbs.

Tsundere trope. We all know Mei is a tsundere and her life experiences allowes her to be like that. But I'm sorry If I watch another episode of Yuzu bending over backwards and chasing her around like a puppy only to be insulted, dismissed or to be felt up in a super rapey way than no thanks.

Balance. This anime has no balance what so ever. Mei forces herself onto Yuzu and than Yuzu says "hey you're not that great" and than she proceeds to have a mental break down, cry herself to sleep and chase Mei around the school/house only to have Mei say "I don't care" and I kid you not this repeats in every episode.

And lastly the annoying characters. There are a lot more problems I just can't bring myself to spit on this anime any more.

This anime did one thing to me I never thought any anime would. It made me relive my terrible all girl highschool days. Every girl character was just narky and annoying. Yuzu's friend is the exception. And just as I thought that I couldn't handle Mei and the girl students annoyingness and I begged this anime to feed me some bread crumbs they instead toss me an annoying obsessive bestfriend trope and that was when I decided to throw this anime out.

What's worse than one girl chasing after an annoying tsundere character that shows literally no interest besides borderline raping her?

Answer: A creepy obsessive bestfriend fighting over the annoying tsundere character that basically has the likability of a piece of celery. I don't like celery.

That's all the energy I have for today but if you came for the girl on girl stuff than yeah this is for you.

0.5/10 story
0.5/10 characters
Galm1's avatar
Nov 19, 2018

i thought "what the hell, maybe i'll like it". i was wrong. pretty much the same thing happens in every episode. and whatever "love" they feel is pretty childish.... cant take it seriously.