Celestial Method - Reviews

Alt title: Sora no Method

haize78's avatar
Feb 13, 2015

Sora no method is a story about a group of 6 kids and their friendship. The protagonist is a girl called Nonoka, who after an absence of 7 years goes back with her father to the town where she had lived previously. Hovering over this particular town is a giant alien saucer which has been hanging there in the sky for (surprise surprise) 7 years. Nonoka has just sketchy memories of the time she lived there as a little girl, but when she gets back she re-acquaints herself with her old friends and slowly her memories start getting clearer. Everything revolves around the saucer in the sky and the cute little girl called Noel who seems to have some mysterious link to the saucer and to the 5 kids.

The visuals and animation are good, it's pleasing enough to watch. As for the sound, I just skipped OP and ED, while in general I didn't notice the background music nor was I disturbed by the voice acting - so all good in that respect.

I think the characters are pretty average; each one has a distinct personality which comes across quite clearly but no one is particularly memorable; even though Noel is surely the one that you get to care about the most.

The story too is narrated well in regards to pacing and atmosphere.

All the previous mentioned aspects, even though I consider them to be good, cannot make up for the story's evident shortcomings.What makes this anime less than satisfying is the premise, the characters' motivation and the story itself which is quite lame.  Just as an example, there are a couple of episodes dedicated to Yuzuki where her hatred for the saucer is really played up a lot; but when the reason for that hatred is revealed, you are just dumbfounded as to how lame it is. And this happens a lot. Good storytelling is not enough if the story itself isn't worth telling.

SugarTitSenpai's avatar
Nov 30, 2014

The one I looked forward to this season alongside Amagi Brilliant Park, was this the one?

Probably.

What struck me was this looked like it could keep up with PA Works's beautiful animation and visuals, and the story was something nice and tragic between friends, Something I quite enjoy as they make nice stories sometimes. Well, Celestial Method was in some way successful in one way but dissapointing in another.

It definitely has the PA Works feel in terms of tragesy and visuals but It sort of the same as a PA Works anime. They are 90% boring and unsuccessful. Nagi No Asakura was perfection in terms of everything and PA hadnt delivered ( for me anyway, Im not keen on Glasslip nor Shirobako) since. 3Hz kind of tried to do so And I do enjoy this series a lot, but it didn't deliver as much as I wanted it too. It has been done better than a regular PA anime, but still isn't perfect.

The story is quite nice, quite tragic and sad yet very uplifting in parts. I don't mind a Melancholy feeling or atmosphere, and it certainly brings it across nicely, But when they resolve anything in this series, the reasonings are a little plain and boring, so you start to feel a little rubbish when you start getting a good feeling for whats going on and kind of ditch it with bad reasons. Atleast they explain everything in Celestial Method about why and what is happening, RIGHT GLASSLIP?

I think a lot of people picked this up for the same reason, which is one cute-ass Loli. She's cute, and energetic, and does all the cute things you wanted to happen so thats why people are watching.

Its a complete shame that even Rule 34 and all those Lolicon's have already demolished this characters innocence. The other characters are pretty plain so theres nothing to look out for. They work though, I guess.

Music is nice and chill, makes nice atmosphere and is noticable when listening in, but I expect good music in these genres otherwise, you cant set the correct moods and you fudge the entire anime up.

Art is what they call "MoeS**t" so if you're into it, which I don't mind at all, then you may not enjoy watching the over cute style with its nice bold eyes and colourful designs. In honesty, theres a lot in this anime that could throw people off completely and I'm not entirely surprised.

So not something new or original. Its a nice watch if you are into this but thats about it, I can't exactly recommend it to you unless you want to watch an anime just for an energetic Loli. I like the story and atmospheres but its a shame they couldnt make this a little better, but its expected I guess.

A 3 and a half from me. Okay story, Okay music, Characters are plain but thats what i expected. I got what I wished for just not the same impact i was hoping for. This will probably get hidden in the dust when the new season starts, So not really something I recommend

que8581's avatar
Sep 22, 2015

Sometimes, there are anime that will give out strong emotion impact. To me, this time, Sora no Method holds this quality best, and I really mean it, best!

All about the story of friendship in life, and friendship itself is the most important thing, that one should have, and should treasure in his/her whole life.

Being with friends, especially the ones that already stayed beside you since childhood is another important quality that rarely one has chance to have. And if you have the chance to experience this feeling, that very moment, all I can say that you're among the lucky one ;)

Treasure friendship, love you friends and family. And utmost important, love and support good (and strong impact) anime like Sora no Method!

Totally recommends this!

TheRogueNob's avatar
Oct 6, 2020

Hellooo people, I'm here again watching a show and wondering why i did, and now you lovely people can read the pain with me. So this is  another SUPER melodramatic SOL with some pretty good animation but that's really all the nice things I have to say. If you like the really dramatic SOL that Japan seems to pump out, then you'll love it but for the wary I would say avoid but if you find your souls being crushed by boredom from the most depressed high schoolers in the country then drop it cause it won't get better. That's the short one the detailed one will be just as fast.

so yes the animation was pretty good it's on par with some pretty shows currently so 👌

sound is also ok scenes feel empty sometimes but there isn't any weird noises. Also the music is your opinion

the characters are okay the only problem is that even though they have some depth, they just don't feel relatedable. And I am a twin and also a former loner, sooooo I'd get the idea that I'd at least relate to some of them but no they just don't feel like real people most of the time.

the story is the main issue, if you like this kind of hyper dramatic SOL then you'll absolutely love it but if you dabble in it from time to time this one just eats away at your brain especially since the entire show is so incredibly predictable. I felt like I new almost the entire story after the 2 epsiode. Also the last episode wasn't terrible until the last 5 minutes. Throughout the last epsiode though all I could think about was damn that was really a waste of time and I almost never say that.

to wrap it up the show isn't bad in the sense of poor quality but for the normal weeb and weeblets who casual watch these dramatic shows I really have to say that I felt like such a waste of time which is the worst outcome. So hopefully this helped some of you, thanks for the read!

7.5/10 animation
5.5/10 overall
YuriArashi's avatar
Jul 23, 2019

It's all worth getting to the last 3 episodes... But be prepared to cry for the last 3 episodes too.