Cat Planet Cuties - Reviews

Alt titles: Asobi ni Iku yo!, Bombshells from the Sky

ssimon98's avatar
Feb 24, 2011

In a era where ecchi animes are wery common this little series was made, will it stand out? Well lets see!

The story centers around Kakazu Kio a pretty normal guy thats just doing normal stuff. But then one day a girl with cat ears appears before him during a memorial service for one of his family ancestors. The girl calls herself Elis and claims she is an alien. Before long, fanatical alien worshipers and a mysterious government agency are in hot pursuit of Elis, but Kio's childhood friend Manami captures Elis. Kio finds himself having to protect Elis from everyone.

Nice most of the time but some of the caracters comes of as bland especially with Kio its like one of the animators said "You know what f%## this i wanna animate boobs!"

The animations also looks bad in the way that you can clearly see whats CG and whats normal animation.

Apart from opening and ending everything was decent nothing spectacular or horrible just decent.

Most caracters are okay but Kio just comes of as bland to me.

Overall

Well it may sound like i hate this anime but thats not true, i mean sure sometimes its just stupid and shark jumping. But if you don't think you will probably find this amusing. Seeing that you like this kind of anime of course.

5.5/10 animation
6.5/10 sound
3.5/10 characters
angelsreviews's avatar
Jul 15, 2013

Well, at first I didn’t know anything about this. I guessed by the name it may be pretty fan service oriented but when I turned on the first episode, it actually looked like it would be serious. Boy, was I wrong with that idea. It turns into a big harem mess. It’s almost just like Please Teacher mixed with other Harem shows.

It’s all about food, boobs, and very little bit about the Sci-fi stuff. Let me give you an example of how this show doesn’t take itself too seriously. Eris beats a million tanks with hammers, even taking the clothing of the tank guys inside. And just when I thought the show was about to end, the show got even stranger with the cat girls going to a meeting wearing school girl swimsuits with a magical girl transformation showing naked images. The third show even starts out with a version of the Star Trek opening altered for the cat aliens.

I do have a question, where the heck are all the male cat boys? I with I could see more diverse gender to this instead of all the girls… and this isn’t just because I’m a girl. I do like a lot of designs for anthro girls but I also like the ideas for the men as well. The only male we do see from cat world is an image of his mouth. We see no tail or ears and even his eyes are hidden from us.

There are a lot of references to Star Trek and a couple other shows that any Trekie would probably fall in love with it. There is a special episode also that isn’t all that funny. Episode 9 talks more about how that catians and earthlings feel the same about a song that played for a special Sci-fi anime. The song is rather beautiful and gives the feeling of loneliness in space.

Kio is just like Kei from Please Teacher. His voice, personality, almost everything feels pretty much like a copy of him except for the stand still-thing. He lets people push him around mostly, and is pretty much a guy that acts older then he is. He even stays with a perverted uncle. The girls feel like they were all pushed onto him and it really is too much like they just pushed every type of supernatural or alien idea into one small little area of Japan. The only character with any real since is Aoi. The reason why I say that is she doesn’t get made right away when Kio ends up with cat girls hanging all over him because of reading a magazine.

The artwork is standard. Kio even looks like Kei from Please Teacher and Eris looks much like a sexual version of Horo from Spice and Wolf. Most designs feel like they were stolen from other animes. Its standard all the way threw from the character design to the background.

The English voices are standard too, and yet seem to fit with the style of the show. It’s pretty much standard all the way threw so nothing special but yet I guess I could say that it would be pretty fun to see how it pans out. I would really see this as a watch show.

joelex911's avatar
Mar 30, 2015

Should you watch this show?  Well... let me get to that

Ok.  You've clicked on a show called "Cat Planet Cuties." The slogan is literally "Bombshells from the sky." Seriously, there is no universe in which a show with that kind of title is going to be a winner. You know it's going to be an ecchi, and ecchi's tend to not be too highly regarded in the story department, instead focusing on the "plot" as it's often referred to.  That said, let me tell you a little something about the show.

It's fun

There, I said it.  It's a fun show.  It's like watching a Michael Bay film, if you go into it knowing that it's going to be bad, but accept that the over-the topness will be epic, then yeah, you'll have a good time.  This show is ridiculous in every aspect, from the premise of smoking-hot cat-girl aliens, to the "secret" cat cult that has literally over a hundred thousand members, to the girl with magic, to the fact that the main character passes out from literally a sip of booze (the lightweight), to the dog and cat puns that some characters say literally every other sentence.  This show is so bad that it's good.  The animation is easy on the eyes, though not perfect, the story has a flow to it that a lot of other shows lack, and the relationships between the characters are actually not half bad, especially at the end when all of the secrets are laid bare.  (Um..... spoilers there?)

This is one of my guilty pleasure shows, I'm kinda sad to admit.  I just had a good time with it.  It's like somebody took a spy flick and crossed it with a stereotypical ecchi.  There's plenty of action, the ecchi isn't over-the-top and in your face like a lot of shows, and there's some redeeming qualitities, sorry, qualities to the story.

Anyway, should you watch this show?  If you like ecchies, then yeah, have at it.  If you want an action show, sure, give it a shot.  If you want to see a show with a fantastic story or some super-awesome sci-fi weaponry... sorry mate, you should probably look somewhere else. (Seriously, the only real sci-fi weapon used is the "anti-matter bullet" that is really an "anti-clothes" bullet.)

This is a show you watch to just unwind and have a good time.  If you're looking for that, then I would highly recommend Cat Planet Cuties

Otomanotaku's avatar
Oct 30, 2012

Okay so i have had the unique oppertunity to watch this anime from both a subtitled and dubbed perspective. What you get overall is a rather cliche anime but a very endearing one as well. The overall premise is an alien race of cat girls have come down to earth and it just so happens that our main character is lucky enough to have them around in HIS house. They go on to fight dogs, cat nip and other concoctions as a way to build a relationship with the hero of the story. Ah but i won't give it away because that's something you will have to watch for yourself.

The animation itself is amazing, i thought that it was very much crisp and detailed in all shapes and sizes. Trust me, as much Ecchi and nudity seems to prevail in this show the detail is a good thing. Although i don't always view ecchi and nudity as a must watch i have to admit the level of crisp detail was pretty amazing. You can tell just by watching that the animators put a lot of effort into the final product. What we get is something that feels real despite being animated and we get clear and detailed images of every scene. I love how they made each character feel sexy. Sexy is definetly the best way to describe the animation in this show and i think it would please even the most jaded anime fan in that regards.

Well being that i have seen both versions of this show i would have to say the overall voice work in both versions is quite well done. I think they nailed down the essence of each character on the transition despite the little nuances. Okay so i know not everyone is interested in dubbed versions but trust me i feel that this is one anime that did it right. The character voices are articulated clearly and they feel that they belong there. Likewise the initial subbed version was also very well done. What it comes down to is your not really losing either way you go and that is why i rated sound so high here.

Overall a very enjoyable show despite the cliche of the cat girl element. I think they still made this into a memorable love triangle romance that any fan could appreciate becuase let's face it the main character is a pretty lucky dude. I think in the end we all win watching this show becuase it has enough going on for it, to keep you busy and entertained all the way through :)

willingotaku's avatar
May 30, 2012

I don't write reviews very often, but when I do it is a policy of mine to write only for the series I love. I feel that if it wasn't worth watching, then it's not worth spending even more time writing about. I thoroughly enjoyed Cat Planet Cuties. Even my brother, who spends most of his time watching the action packed bad ass anime with tons of fighting said this was one of the best anime he had ever seen. So I think it's safe to say Cat Planet Cuties deserves some love. So without further ado, let's break this series down.

I'm pretty sure I don't have to tell you I didn't buy a series called Cat Planet Cuties for the story. However, to my surprise it actually offered a few decent plot points. In the beginning, a cat girl named Eris comes to Earth on a mission to start up galactic relations with Earth. She meets Kio, the lone male character around which sereis like this typically revolve. Eris decides to stay at his house for a while, and so Kio's house becomes the Embassy for her people. Manami and Aoi, two human girls who know Kio, become involved in the story and offer their special skills as well. The first few episodes are mostly just fan-service and wild antics with minor plot points thrown in to tie it together. A few secret organizations pop up to cause problems for the Catian race and cause some chaos. Near the end of the series however, the evil dog aliens known as Dogisians start to mobilize and there were a few times I even wondered if the series might involve the death of a few characters. The action is limited, but it's a nice way to break up the constant fan service of the curvacious kitties and the sexy secret ops Earth girls. If you're looking for a series with lots of heavy action and fighting, or a storyline that is deep and involving that you can immerse yourself in, you won't find it here. In fact, if that's what you're looking for, I'm pretty sre you're not even reading this review. On the other hand, if you're looking for a fun and light-hearted series with lots of fan service and a little intergalactic warfare and secret organizations with guns here and there to break up the sexiness, Cat Planet Cuties is at least worth checking out an episode or two.

There are some anime I watch while I'm reading a book or something. Those series that are easy to watch and understand without actually looking at the screen. Usually I do this with series like Bleach. Cat Planet Cuties is not one of those series. Despite the lack of a dedicated story that you can follow, there is always something on screen to catch your eye. The girls are cute, the antics are fun, and the fan service is presented without too much bouncing and jiggling to make it seem like they're trying too hard. Sure the series is essentially eye candy, but they could have gone a lot farther and more outrageous with the cat girl fetish, considering how many otaku would probably go for it. The series provides plenty of cute 2D girls to look at, but they're not shoved in your face.

Anime like Cat Planet Cuties usually depend on the characters and the visuals to keep it interesting. But the sound was pretty good. The opening and ending songs were pretty catchy. Not fantastic, but still pretty good, and I'll probably download them if I can find them somewhere. The voice work was well done, and there's some good explosions and gunfire to keep you watching when you begin to tire of the voluptuously sexy heroines losing their clothes every time an anti-matter bullet is fired.

This is probably the most important element of any anime, especially a good ecchi series. If you don't care about the characters, chances are good you're not going to keep watching. There are plenty of characters to love in CPC. Some cat girls, some humans, some well-endowed, some a little bit flatter than others, some with guns, some wihtout. Some are shy and quiet, some are loud and violent, others are mart, or sweet, etc. Whatever your preference, I'm sure you'll find a character to your liking. The ladies of Cat Planet Cuties are as entertaining to watch with their clothes on as they are in full fan servive mode. We have CIA agents, secret ops girls, alien cat girls, and more. Of course the girls aren't the only characters in the shiow. Kio is important too. He even sees his share of combat and rescue missions. He is by no means the typical "hopeless loser" of these kinds of anime. The assistroids are absolutely adorable and cool, and I wish I had one for myself. Even the background characters are pretty entertaining when they get some screentime. I kinda wish Yuuichi had shown up more.

Overall

Having read a few of the other reviews on this anime, the consensus seems to be that this anime offers nothing new in an age of ecchi anime. That the story is basically non-existant and the characters are predictable. I suppose that's one way of looking at it. It's true to a certain extent. But you could say the same thing about almost anything. Isn't every Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. game basically the same thing? Yet we keep supporting those after 20-something years. If you're reading a review about an anime called Cat Planet Cuties, you probably already know what to expect. Cat Planet Cuties probably won't blow you away or show you anyhting new you can't find in another similar anime. Even so, it's a title that offers a clear idea of what it presents to you and doesn't pretend to be anyhting else. You can't watch a series called Cat Planet Cuties expecting a deep and motivated storyline. Especially when it's only 12 episodes long with a bonus 30 minute OVA thrown in. You want action? This series isn't marketed towards you then, and it needs to be judged on what it tries to accomplish. CPC is good for a few laughs and some good ol' fashioned eye candy. It's a series you can pick up and watch anytime without having to remember what happened in the last episode. I enoy this series, and others like it. I hope you'll give it a chance and enjoy it as much as I did.

8.5/10 story