Bubble - Reviews

SalamiRat's avatar
Apr 30, 2022

This movie sucks. It had potential but wasted it on a terible romance with underdeveloped characters. I loved the concept and the world building but everything else was really disapointing. The animation was mostly amazing but sometimes it felt a little too good, like- no- please don't zoom in on the character's ultra realistic lips, it makes me uncomdfortable. Also, the message of the movie is really unclear, is it about love or the circle of life? I don't know. All I know is that the romance is horribly written and I hate the main girl for reasons I can't place. How can a character who barely talks be so annoying?? The main guy was okay, but there's some glaring issues with him. First of all, wtf is his design? I think it's trying to be cool but idk, the crop top and wetsuit shorts just don't go together. Second, if you're going to have a disabled character, DON'T MAGICALLY GET RID OF THEIR DISABILITY?? The idea of a character with sensory issues taking part in a competition that is typically really loud was interesting, the movie SHOULD have been about him suceeding with his disability, not it being cured because he found the right sound? It's not even clear what happens, he just stops being effected by it out of nowhere.

There are other things I don't like about this movie but honestly, it doesn't deserve my time.

The movie should have been about the parkour, it should have taken advantage of the amazing world building to create a story that uses that world as much as possible. Also, it would have been better if the bubble girl didn't even exist. A character shouldn't exist to only be a love intrest, she needed to have an actual personality instead of just "little mermaid but with bubbles"

Basically: "Weathering With You" but instead of rain it's bubbles.

moonchild15's avatar
Apr 28, 2022

(spoiler free review) Idk wat i just watched..but i like it. Maybe im just too stupid to understand but i didnt get wat the film was trying to imply (in terms of themes/plot). Besides that tho, the animation was pretty, cool & dynamic. The music in a certain scene was chefs kiss & the character interactions were cute. So all in all despite not understanding wat i was watching i enjoyed it lol. I recommend this film for people who appreciate animation

Spoilers: is the theme supposed to be the cycle of life or something?? Wat is up with that sister? How did the dude anger the bubbles? Our main duo helped each other become their tru self how?? And for the obvious one, wat exactly r these bubbles?! Lol

kamikoluna17's avatar
Apr 29, 2022

Visually appealing and stunning. It has great potential. I have high expectations.. It could've been better. Plot wise? Eh! 🙅 The story is forgettable but the animation is awesome.

Letterboxd Review

oliviamadelyne's avatar
May 4, 2022

(Spoiler-free review)

The animation was beautiful, it was a visually stunning film, so I truly do have to commend them for that and I do believe it's worth watching if you appreciate beautiful artworks. That being said, I will be honest, the plot was lacking. The story was unique, with a cute nod to a classic fairytale, but they never really explain where the problem in the film comes from, and why it was resolved the way it was. So, there are definitely plot holes. Also, although the personalities of the characters work well together, most of the characters are underdeveloped, so we as the audience don't have much of a reason to be attached to them.

Overall, a beautiful light-hearted movie that is worth seeing at least once. Don't take the plot too seriously and you'll have a good time!

TheMeggyPeggy's avatar
May 4, 2022

This is one of my most anticipated movies of this year-- and I was disappointed by what I watched just now. Now, don't get me wrong. The art and colors and concept is dynamic and captivating, but that feels like all it really is. The story is jam-packed into less than 2 hours and that gave me no time to really attach to a single character nor did it give me time to even really understand the plot. It's the generic "Little Mermaid" story with a twist so I expected the music to be stunning and I was disappointed that all I got from that was the 4 note hum that constantly played throughout the movie. It felt like I heard that humming more than anyone else talking, so again, over-stimulated. By no means is this a bad movie, I feel like the was overly ambitious and that was more of a detriment than anything.