Bloom Into You

Add review
Jutzu's avatar
Mar 8, 2019

Story  6/10

A girl wants to become her deceased sister but falls in love. Another desperately seeks affection. It's not bad, but not great either. The main issue I have about the story is the overall theme "just stay as you are, never change or I will stop loving you" - and this is very angering.

It's a slice of life, so to real plot or anything ever happens, apart from the cliched (and so, so overused) school festival - another reason to deduct points.

Animation  8/10

Nothing stands out, although the style is decent and pleasant to watch. The character design is well done.

Sound  5/10

Forgettable...

Characters  9/10

Refleshing lack of fanservise, relatable realistic behaviour, well portrayed presence of adult characters.

Overall - The story feels incomplete, perhaps they plan the next season but this story could have been concluded in the given 13 eps. Nevertheless, it's one of the better shoujo-ai that came out in recent years. (cough-bullshit-citrus)

Recommend to watch: Yeah, just count that it will be a forgettable evening and you wont get any real conclusion.

shroudJOOX's avatar
May 17, 2019

This anime is unlike any other ones, but it’s pure gold

brat682's avatar
Apr 13, 2019

I like this anime and the character development is very nice throughout which is a very nice change of pace from other anime I have been watching lately.  It has very pretty animation and the music is fine.  I am really hoping for a second season to see how the characters and story further progress.

nic016's avatar
Feb 17, 2019

Man, the opportunities for a true love story/love triangle really fell through the cracks on this one. Where to begin... First off, I feel like the story began too quickly. It's as if they skipped an episode or two and started on episode 3 as episode 1. The characters are very different from one another which is nice. They did not make this show with the idea of some raunchy lesbian fanservice to the audience. All of the scenes with intimacy felt authentic and true to the characters. That is one of the best aspects of the show, easily. However, even though the characters are quite mature for their age (14-16 years old), there are inconsistancies with their behaviour in terms of common sense. I was waiting for a eureka moment where the characters realized what they were doing wasn't right (not in terms of their sexual orientation, but rather their behaviour and attitude to their partner). It wasn't fair to the person in love. I waited alllllll the way through the entire season for someone to come to that realization... and it never happened. What the hell. You want drama and heart ache? You have to add that, or else you're left waiting. Which was my experience through this series. At one point I thought "maybe a sexual encounter is going to flip the switch", but nope. Didn't even get that. There has to be a hurdle... Also the ending was total shit. What the hell was that? I guess that's the "cliff-hanger" for next season. I'll watch, but I better get some more emotion in the series or I'm going to be disappointed. Again. The animation however was fantastic. No issues there. And the adult characters were fantastic. Overall, it could have been great, but it was just okay.

StevenSAKUJO's avatar
Jan 21, 2019

Story [7/10]

I don't usually watch slice of life anime and when I do the experience is surreal. I'm waiting patiently for some epic drama to start, I expect there'll be some comedy and I enjoy some good comedy. Let me tell, you false alarms everywhere, something happens and I'm thinking "heh, time for some over-the-top drama" or "nice... finally, the plot thickens. When the anime finished and nobody had died, no huge coincidences, a few speeches and arguments but nothing serious.

It's almost as though the anime is literally about this student council who quietly plan some things, teenagers having some realistically stupid thoughts and problems with some romance, light drama and some "feel good" moments.

I mean do people really enjoy this crap? Just some relaxing slice of life anime with realistic boob sizes and lacking the pretentiousness of romances that we've come to expect and LOVE? With grounded philosophical messages and a plot which mostly focused on the most boring people in the whole school; the student council, I can't imagine anyone would like this.

Nothing much more to say really, yes the characters are cute and there are some nice romance scenes, without the dark, melodramatic plot that I've come to expect from yuri anime, I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it.

Animation [6/10]

When I'm watching yuri, I want to see characters with real sex appeal! The fact that these characters look like normal people is something I just can't get behind. Look at Citrus, that's how it's supposed to be done. I was watching an entirely normal school with entirely normal students do things normal students do. Often in anime, it's like it doesn't matter what age the character is "supposed" to be. I see 9-year-olds giving epic speeches or 13-year-olds that I initially thought were 30+ and I don't question it anymore.

So you can imagine my shock to see teenage girls animated and acting as though they were teenage girls. I hope you're starting to understand the problems this anime has.

Sound [5/10]

I don't even remember the OST, it was slice of lifey.

Characters [5/10]

I struggle. It's a slice of life anime about teenage girls. The characters are cute and fulfil their roles. Not memorable or making any impression. Is it good is it bad? Depends.

Overall [7/10]

Mostly the anime is a lot of talking between teenage girls in a completely uninteresting setting. No action, comedy, tragedy, horror, violence, epic scenes or melodramatic plot points. A slice of life romance. You either dig it or you don't.

The other yuri anime I watched was Cirtus and it wasn't awful but nothing like this anime. Cirtus has a dark, melodramatic plot in almost every episode. It's totally unrealistic and unrelatable. The sex appeal is through the roof and it features some very raunchy scenes that belonged in hentai.

Bloom Into You is a pleasant, innocent slice of life where every episode is relaxing and mostly uneventful. I was sure it would be like Citrus after the first episode but I was wrong. It does have strong plot points but they're carefully woven throughout the anime without ever overshadowing the actual content, which is slice of life stuff. By now, you should already know whether this anime is or isn't for you.