Blade Runner: Black Out 2022

Add review
Jjjjason1's avatar
Oct 7, 2017

The one thing that annoys me the most about this short... IS THAT IT'S A SHORT. For all intended purposes this does its job, and immaculately at that. It sets up a bit of history for the Blade Runner 2049 universe. (I could have easily watched a 20+ episode season of this).

If you are watching this as a stand alone without never hearing or seeing anything of the first Blade Runner, I am sure that this will probably make no sense other than what you are visually seeing.

What is most striking about this, is the smoothness of the animation, and the sound.. OH MY THE SOUND. Yes this has had money pumped into it, but this is what an Anime can become if more money is invested.

There isn't much to say in terms of plot or story as what you see is what you get, so there would be no point in me putting a synopsis here as it would literally spoil the short.

To Summarize, the short does it's job, it's visually beautiful, and the sound is on another level. A must watch if you intend on seeing Blade Runner 2049.

TeeDeeDubYa's avatar
Apr 7, 2018

A must watch if you enjoyed both Blade Runners.  It's on crunchy roll so there's really no barrier to watching this legally.  I understand that this takes place before the second movie but I recommend watching it after seeing both movies.  There's enough in the second movie to stand on it's own without the support of this short.  Not to mention going from live action to anime then back to live action would be a bit jarring.

With that being said, for it being so short it definitly adds to the overall story and universe of Blade Runner.  It also helps explain the tone against the main character of the second movie with all the speciesism that happens in this short.

And yes, I had to look up the word "speciesism" since racism didn't really make sense ;).

Dire120's avatar
Sep 26, 2017

I would defiantly watch, this anime if it did have 12 episodes. It wasn`t very long, so it is had to give an opinion of the characters, but it did have a good story. Unfortunately this anime is only 15 minutes long, so I can`t give any opinion on how good the story, animation, sound or characters are.